HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Congrats Bob , Say No And Wait

Old
07-06-2006, 10:14 AM
onemorecup*

vCash: 500
Congrats Bob , Say No And Wait

for not getting invlolved in these ridicolous bidding wars . The only player that
might of made any sense was McKEE , BUT NOT AT 4 MILLION . He is a solid # 4
but what do you pay Markov next year if you have Jay 4?

The owners let it get out whack which caused the lockout , but when you are paying Arnott 22 mil over 5 years , your head , needs a shaking.
Don`t get involved Bob , what the hell is the point of paying 3+ for Sykora
when for 20 goals , I CAN GET PEREZ OR KOSTY FOR A THIRD OF THE PRICE . I
think Bob realized what happened with Theo , he caved in and got lucky to move his salary , but Cmon these deals are a joke, and trust me 2/3 will be available
in a trade 1 year from now , and or talks of buyouts will come up when , players will have 10 mil and 3 years remaining on a 5 year deal, and are washed up.

tHE pRONGER DEAL WAS THE ONLY DEAL THAT MADE SENSE. Boston may of improved but , Chara will be exposed as the main cog on D , with no Redden, and Savard is a one dimensional player, NEITHER WILL MAKE THE BRUINS A CONTENDER
IN THIER CONTRACT. What boggles the mind is this , " 90 percent of UFA`S NEVER MAKE A DIFFERENCE . Rarely do the teams improve nad the player earns his money , so why bother most of the time. If you are a non contender , why spend 3 mil for a 25 gola scorer , if you are going nowhere ? At least Pronger is a difference maker , he and Scott are among the 2 best D man in the game. At least Burke makes moves that may help. Sorry folks ranting on Bob for doing zilch is not justified, and what remains in free agency doesn`t deserve to be overpaid . I would much rather go with what I have, and tinker later .

onemorecup* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2006, 10:20 AM
Anthony P

I can't say I agree with you.... if you think future years are going to be different than this year or even last year you're wrong.... it's a fact of the state of hockey.... desperate GM's to save their jobs will overpay to get the talent they want.... it might only be a short term solution, but it will always take the cream of the crop out of the market.... leaving guys like Gainey sitting in the dust....

Gainey has one year left IMO.... if we don't improve, he's gone....

Anthony P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2006, 10:27 AM
obcd1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony P View Post
I can't say I agree with you.... if you think future years are going to be different than this year or even last year you're wrong.... it's a fact of the state of hockey.... desperate GM's to save their jobs will overpay to get the talent they want.... it might only be a short term solution, but it will always take the cream of the crop out of the market.... leaving guys like Gainey sitting in the dust....

I don't agree with you

obcd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2006, 10:30 AM
beowulf
Not a nice guy.

Send a message via MSN to beowulf
Quote:

I don't agree with you in the least bit. He is here for some time still he has a "plan" and Gillette likely signed on to the plan before give Gainey control of the team. ONly way Gainey does no last the season is if the team falls all the way to last place in the league.

beowulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2006, 10:32 AM
Dan K
HFBoards Partner

Send a message via MSN to Dan K
Quote:

Depends how you define "improve." I think our team will by default improve itself over the next few years, as our plethora of prospects (Perezhogin, Kostitsyn, Chipchura, Latendresse, Price, this year's draft crop, etc.) develop and mature.

Even if Gainey did nothing but sit and watch, the team would be improving. A hockey team doesn't get built over night, but we are slowly and steadily progressing.

Dan K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2006, 10:36 AM
SOLR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakuuuuu View Post
Depends how you define "improve." I think our team will by default improve itself over the next few years, as our plethora of prospects (Perezhogin, Kostitsyn, Chipchura, Latendresse, Price, this year's draft crop, etc.) develop and mature.

Even if Gainey did nothing but sit and watch, the team would be improving. A hockey team doesn't get built over night, but we are slowly and steadily progressing.
Yes.

SOLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2006, 10:41 AM
Athlétique_Canadien

Quote:

Who replaces him - Youppi?

Athlétique_Canadien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2006, 10:58 AM
tri color

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeman View Post
for not getting invlolved in these ridicolous bidding wars . The only player that
might of made any sense was McKEE , BUT NOT AT 4 MILLION . He is a solid # 4
but what do you pay Markov next year if you have Jay 4?

The owners let it get out whack which caused the lockout , but when you are paying Arnott 22 mil over 5 years , your head , needs a shaking.
Don`t get involved Bob , what the hell is the point of paying 3+ for Sykora
when for 20 goals , I CAN GET PEREZ OR KOSTY FOR A THIRD OF THE PRICE . I
think Bob realized what happened with Theo , he caved in and got lucky to move his salary , but Cmon these deals are a joke, and trust me 2/3 will be available
in a trade 1 year from now , and or talks of buyouts will come up when , players will have 10 mil and 3 years remaining on a 5 year deal, and are washed up.

tHE pRONGER DEAL WAS THE ONLY DEAL THAT MADE SENSE. Boston may of improved but , Chara will be exposed as the main cog on D , with no Redden, and Savard is a one dimensional player, NEITHER WILL MAKE THE BRUINS A CONTENDER
IN THIER CONTRACT. What boggles the mind is this , " 90 percent of UFA`S NEVER MAKE A DIFFERENCE . Rarely do the teams improve nad the player earns his money , so why bother most of the time. If you are a non contender , why spend 3 mil for a 25 gola scorer , if you are going nowhere ? At least Pronger is a difference maker , he and Scott are among the 2 best D man in the game. At least Burke makes moves that may help. Sorry folks ranting on Bob for doing zilch is not justified, and what remains in free agency doesn`t deserve to be overpaid . I would much rather go with what I have, and tinker later .
MARIO TREMBLAY lol

tri color is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2006, 10:59 AM
tri color

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATHLÉTIQUE_CANADIEN View Post
Who replaces him - Youppi?
MARIO TREMBLAY lol

Old
07-06-2006, 11:01 AM
tri color

how about Mario Tremblay lol

Old
07-06-2006, 11:01 AM
Melvin Udall

geeman,

I think you are absolutely right!

All of us Hab fans want to see improvement, but GMs and owners, despite the 'Cap" etc have not learned that generally, FAs are not usually big difference makers. There are some exceptioms to the rule, but that is the general rule. Look at Neil Smith's experience with NYR (and now the Islanders have him as their GM)!

Can't understand Lou Lamarello. He got burned on long term contracts with Mogilney and Malakhov (still paying them and contributing toward the Cap even though not on the roster) and just signed Elias (32 yo I believe) to a 7 (seven) year contract, which, will count against his Cap numbers for all 7 years even if they buy him out. And for a couple years this may look good for NJ, but long term it is insanity!

From what I have read, Habs want to build through the draft, no doubt the best way to go - BUT, they will have to get much better in scoutinfg and drafting.
They could have had Jeff Carter but selected Kostitsyn ahead of him, Carter is producing more at the NHL level than Kostitsyn is producing at the AHL level!

Melvin Udall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2006, 11:02 AM
nyhabsfan
Waiting for #25.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by tri color View Post
MARIO TREMBLAY lol

I think Yoopi would replace Gainey and Trembley replaces Yoopi....

nyhabsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2006, 11:08 AM
Marc-E-

And each year, a lot of UFA are disapointment. We will make a move in the last strecht to improve our club, because a lot of GM we will dump salaries.

Marc-E- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2006, 11:17 AM
Anthony P

If we wait for our prospects to improve, it may be 5 years before we have a team capable enough of being a top tier team....

Whereas by signing players, we could instantly improve.... key signings would also have a good impact on our youth.... teaching them from their experiences.....

Anthony P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2006, 11:42 AM
onemorecup*

Quote:

I understand your point but desperate vs making it happen is 2 different things.

The Isles spent big bucks on Satan and Zitnick last year, it got then nowhere . Regheir isn`t stupid, Campbell can replace Zitncik for 1/4 of his salary, and Satan`s 30 goals just gets spread between 8 forwards, its a team game. My point is spend money when you are a contender, Hull and Belfour helped Dallas win a cup when they were in the hunt, very few examples ever work in a win win situation for both sides. So even if you are desperate , what is a role player going to do for you?
at least Nonnis went after Luongo, Pronger goes to Anaheim , those are impact players that can elevate a few notches. But the Blues with or without McKe at 4 mil aren`t going anywhere . Peter Sykora or Tom Poti for stupid money is a stupid move, what is Poti at best , a 30 point defensive liability , for 2.5 million , what for ? You can get an Andy Delmore type of player for 500k , every year in free agency , if you play your cards right. Is Sykora going to take me to another level??
Let Bonk, Souray,Rivet, Zenick, and a few other contracts expire and spend it wisely next year on 2-3 impact players. I hope we don`t go nuts on multi year deal on Sheldon or Rivet , they aren`t worth it.

onemorecup* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2006, 11:45 AM
Montrealer

The high salaries are an abberation due to the large increase in NHL revenues during 2005-06; over the next few years we're going to have more UFAs (due to the 7 year/28 year old rule) = more supply + less % increase in revenue = less demand...

Some of these contracts might actually look very stupid in 2-3 years, especially the 4-5 year ones.

Montrealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2006, 11:46 AM
Bronn
Registered Sellsword

Quote:
Whereas by signing players, we could instantly improve.... key signings would also have a good impact on our youth.... teaching them from their experiences.....
I agree but that depend on who we sign.I have no doubt that a guy like Shanahan would help our young players to get more confidence.

On the other hand , a guy like Savard , Poti or even Arnott to a certain extent may not have imo.

Bronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2006, 11:47 AM
boundless

Quote:
desperate GM's to save their jobs will overpay to get the talent they want....
so GM's who frivolously overspend the owner's money without justification keep their jobs while fiscally responsible one's who are showing they care about their bosses money get fired?

wow... this is a whole new concept to me.

boundless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2006, 12:07 PM
ti-vite

Geeman, my sentiments exactly. Last year Philly lokced up some pylons for three years and are already paying for it. These recent contrats are even longer...lol.

THis is going to be awesome in 2 years...I can't wait to see the fiscal (cap) mess some teams will be in.

This thread has banana all over it!:

ti-vite is offline   Reply With Quote