HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Souray

Closed Thread

Old
11-09-2003, 08:26 AM
BLONG7

vCash: 500
Souray

This guy is really playing well... nice to see him rebound from the wrist injury. What a shot, and is playing fairly well in his own end. Seems to be taking a leadership role on the team, man I am excited about this guy, he was recently interviewed and was very appreciative of the organization sticking by him through all the injuries, and said he loves playing in Montreal!

Old
11-09-2003, 08:39 AM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Yes I am surprised at how well he's been playing so far. wow he's a goal scoring machine, already near double his career high in goals, and it's only Novemeber. Plus he's been solid in his own end and semi physical which is great to see. He had a wicked open ice hit last night. Boy did he seem to piss of the Sabres.

Old
11-09-2003, 10:50 AM
habsfan11

Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal
Yes I am surprised at how well he's been playing so far. wow he's a goal scoring machine, already near double his career high in goals, and it's only Novemeber. Plus he's been solid in his own end and semi physical which is great to see. He had a wicked open ice hit last night. Boy did he seem to piss of the Sabres.
Hes on pace for 33 goals this season... i doubt hell score that much, but hes looked good so far... He and brisebois have made a solid top pair

Old
11-09-2003, 10:57 AM
KOMO_ROCKS

Send a message via ICQ to KOMO_ROCKS
Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal
Souray is playing awesome for the habs right now......he is a FORCE offensively and a ROCK defensively...I love this guy

Old
11-10-2003, 06:06 AM
Habs4Cup

Location: Montreal, the only city where Stanley Cups come in cases of 24
Sourray

This guy is playing like a Norris Trophy contender right now... hope he can keep on playing like that.

Old
11-10-2003, 01:49 PM
danboulie

Send a message via MSN to danboulie
This guy has beena machine so far. Logging loads of minutes, and showing that he deserves every one of them.
I hope he keeps going at this pace, because I picked him up in my hockey pool when Jackman injured himself.
Does anyone remember what Montreal traded to New Jersey when they got him?

Old
11-10-2003, 01:51 PM
BLONG7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aphotic
This guy has beena machine so far. Logging loads of minutes, and showing that he deserves every one of them.
I hope he keeps going at this pace, because I picked him up in my hockey pool when Jackman injured himself.
Does anyone remember what Montreal traded to New Jersey when they got him?
I think it was Vlad Malakhov.

Old
11-10-2003, 01:55 PM
Howie Morenz

Hope he doesn't score all his goals in October/November a la Brian Savage. If he becomes more consistent at hitting the net,he could have a great season.

Old
11-10-2003, 02:14 PM
simbot

Markov

So far this guy has not produced points at the same clip as he was last season. Is this because of the emergence of Souray or is it a result of poor play?

Old
11-10-2003, 02:16 PM
CrAzYNiNe

Send a message via MSN to CrAzYNiNe
Always loved Souray, my friends laughed at me for sopporting him. Then in the playoffs he was great, then he left, again more ridicule, now he is good again. Souray is my Fav D men, always ahead of Markov.

Old
11-10-2003, 03:52 PM
tinyzombies

The most surprising thing is his skating, his quickness and ease with the puck and he's incorporated a lot of feints and can use them while skating backward.

His skillset took a huge leap.

Old
11-10-2003, 04:13 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by raketheleaves
The most surprising thing is his skating, his quickness and ease with the puck and he's incorporated a lot of feints and can use them while skating backward.

His skillset took a huge leap.

I agree. I'm very surprised at how much quicker he looks. Also I find that his shot is so much better. I always thought he had a cannon, but he often would shoot way too high, hitting more glass then net most times.

Old
11-10-2003, 06:26 PM
tinyzombies

How was he able to work on these things (other than skating) with a bad wrist?? Maybe he always had this stuff, but the better skating buys him more time?

Old
11-10-2003, 06:26 PM
Munchausen
Full Time A-hole

Quote:
Originally Posted by simbot
So far this guy has not produced points at the same clip as he was last season. Is this because of the emergence of Souray or is it a result of poor play?
Both.

Some argument could also be made about CJ's poor use of Markov on the PP probably resulting in a drop in confidence.

Old
11-10-2003, 06:36 PM
Munchausen
Full Time A-hole

Quote:
Originally Posted by simbot
Both.

Some argument could also be made about CJ's poor use of Markov on the PP probably resulting in a drop in confidence.

Old
11-10-2003, 07:21 PM
J-D

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLONG7
I think it was Vlad Malakhov.
Of COURSE it was Malakhov. How can one forget. At the time I was really (and I mean really really really) pissed off with the whole situation (his ski trip blown out of proportion, etc. etc.), about what we got in return for him and especially because Vlad signed FOR THE SAME AMOUNT OF MONEY in New York. So much for trading away this soon-to-be UFA.

With hindsight, though, we could argue that this was Houle's best trade, as Souray plays with poise, chips in offensively and doesn't take too many nights off. And he costs less money than many d-men in the league.

Old
11-10-2003, 08:30 PM
habsfan19

i've always liked Souray as well, love his mean streak that he has sometimes, and he hits, havent seen a Habs D hit in the last few years

the goals are a bonus, hope he keeps it going, he's been the Habs best D up to now this year

Old
11-11-2003, 02:39 AM
Medicine Twin

Well, I for one won't say that I always liked Souray. In fact, I thought he was horrible in his first little while here and wanted him traded...

That was up until the 2001-2002 playoffs. Where he WAS likely our best D-man against the Bruins and arguably against the 'canes as well. I knew such a good playoff performance would be a huge confidence boost for him and with the long wait to get back to the game, he'd come out flying.

I HAD predicted his breakout this season along with Ribeiro's because of the above reasons (look it up in summer "prediction" threads if you don't believe me). But if you had asked me 2 years ago if I thought Souray would be the player he is now, I would've laughed at you.

Now, against what others have said so far, Souray has not become an offensive force. He's still a stay-at-home, physical, D-man whose big shot is used on the PP... most of his points are on the PP. And he won't continue to score at this pace as other teams' PK units will be looking for him. His shot hasn't improved, he just shooting alot more. He DOES look to be faster though, I agree.

As for Markov, he's still our most skilled D-man, but he's been very inconsistant. It may have something to do with his defensive partner being inconsistant as well though. One knock I always had on Markov was his inabilitity to work the point on the PP. Despite his skill, he doesn't have the patience or the vision for this task. Keep him on the PP, but allow him to be the guy who sneaks in off the point rather than the QB.

Closed Thread