HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Current situation analysis

Old
07-07-2006, 10:04 AM
Top Corner2

vCash: 500
Current situation analysis

The Habs are in an enviable position for next year. Here's how things are shaping up for the habs next year. Ultimately Gainey is going to go with what we have on D, and in goal. We have adequate depth on the blueline, we may want to add some minor league depth especially if we can't get Yemelin over here and if we're not big on Sanford and Lemieux. Our depth in goal is excellent and last year proved how important it is to have a few back up plans in goal, as we saw teams like Boston and Toronto miss the playoffs with shaky goaltending from guys that were supposed to be #1's. Habs fans are still wishing Gerber was the only option for Carolina...we might have taken them in 4. Trading Abby is not an option unless we get another goaltender as proven somewhere else. Yann Danis may be ready, but management doesn't seem sure so a full year in Hamilton will do him well.

Up front is a different story. I don't think Gainey is going to hand Kostytsyn the job. He is going to have to earn it like everybody else. That leaves one spot open for a player to play with Kovalev. We are able to pick up around 4.5 million so it might happen through an UFA but it couold just as easily happen in a trade as there will be many teams trying to dump salary after they got the guys they wanted (but paid more than they wanted). I see us picking up a top line winger, keeping Zednik as depth and having Kostytsyn as the 1st scoring line call up. I see Kosty beating out Zednik eventually and playing a regular shift by the end of the year.

Here's the 23 man roster with salaries (some predicted)

Higgins (1m) Koivu (4.75m) Ryder (2m)
? Ribs(1.9m) Kovalev(4.5m)
Zednik (1.9) Pleks(o.45) Perezoighin (1)
Begin (1) Bonk(2.4) Murray(o.475)

Downey(o.475) Ferland (o.5)

Souray (2.28) Komi (1.2)
Markov(1.75) Rivet (2.565)
Bouillion (1.875) Dandeneault (1.725)

Streit (o.6)

Huet (2.875)
Abby (2.2)

Total 39.5 million

That leaves us 4.5 million to spend on 1 player and still stay around the 44 million target.

Who's it going to be?

Last edited by Top Corner2: 07-07-2006 at 04:29 PM.
Top Corner2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2006, 10:13 AM
Tuggy

At the moment that 4.5 million is being used to court Shanahan. If he decides to sign elsewhere then I believe the focus will shift to Sykora (like it or not).

Tuggy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2006, 10:15 AM
Alouette_19

Nice situation!!!

Also Zednik will be trade some day for make some room to A.Kostsitsyn on the 3rd line!!!

Alouette_19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2006, 10:19 AM
Bob Bastards

Who say Gainey will not trade some dead wood by the start of the season?
Guy, its only July 7th, the season start in 2 months, 2 MONTHS its a lot of time.

I say we will dump Zednik (who do not seem to like playing here anymore) and Bonk (who is too much pay for what he bring on the table).

I also think Latendresse will get a really close look at the traning camp and if he have half the character I think he have he will bust is a$$ off during the camp to prevent te Habs brass to send him down again this year.

My bet is that the rooster will look like that a the start of the season:

Higgins Koivu Ryder
? Ribs Kovalev
Latendresse PleksPerezoighin
Begin Ferland Murray

Downey

Souray Komi
Markov Rivet
Bouillion Dandeneault

Streit OR Cote

Huet
Abby OR Danis

BUT I can be completely out for lunch and Gainey can pull a trick out is sleeve and baffle us all...
Your bet is as good as mine.

Oh and for those who think we did not upgrade our rooster, can I remember you that Dagenais was on our starting rooster last year? I say that quite an improvement...

Bob Bastards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2006, 10:22 AM
HabsUnited

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob ******** View Post
Who say Gainey will not trade some dead wood by the start of the season?
Guy, its only July 7th, the season start in 2 months, 2 MONTHS its a lot of time.

I say we will dump Zednik (who do not seem to like playing here anymore) and Bonk (who is too much pay for what he bring on the table).

I also think Latendresse will get a really close look at the traning camp and if he have half the character I think he have he will bust is a$$ off during the camp to prevent te Habs brass to send him down again this year.

My bet is that the rooster will look like that a the start of the season:

Higgins Koivu Ryder
? Ribs Kovalev
Latendresse PleksPerezoighin
Begin Ferland Murray

Downey

Souray Komi
Markov Rivet
Bouillion Dandeneault

Streit OR Cote

Huet
Abby OR Danis

BUT I can be completely out for lunch and Gainey can pull a trick out is sleeve and baffle us all...
Your bet is as good as mine.

Oh and for those who think we did not upgrade our rooster, can I remember you that Dagenais was on our starting rooster last year? I say that quite an improvement...

Actually it starts in 3 months.

HabsUnited is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2006, 10:23 AM
SOLR

I dont agree with your Kostitsyn statement. Kost will be on this team.
All those rumours about Shanahan and Sykora, are just that, rumors.

SOLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2006, 10:28 AM
JackieChan

No way you remove Gainey's big fat cushion from under his conservative arse, he wants to be able to resign Souray, Markov and Rivet next year when they negociate their inevitably greedy UFA contracts.

JackieChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2006, 10:33 AM
Tuggy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackieChan View Post
No way you remove Gainey's big fat cushion from under his conservative arse, he wants to be able to resign Souray, Markov and Rivet next year when they negociate their inevitably greedy UFA contracts.
What??!?! You mean GM's are allowed to think about the future of the team and not forced to sign UFA upon UFA to big long term contracts.

Old
07-07-2006, 10:45 AM
RC51

I say,

Higgins-Koivu-Ryder (With Higgins from the start it's a good line)
Zednik-Ribs-Kovalev ( Ribs tries harder but still to be traded with Zednik)
Prez-Pleks-Kost ( Huge speed and skill upgrade-will suprise many)
Begin-(Lapierre-Bonk)Murray ( Lapierre just plain steals Bonk's job )
Grabo ( a few good games but waiting for the trade)

Gainey continues to shop Zednik&Ribs for a center
Will finally pull off a trade by December.

Starting January
Higgins-Koivu-Ryder ( consistant production, but not top NHL 1st line)
Prez ( new center) Kovalev ( a breakthrough trade, better production then the 1st line)
Grabo-Pleks-Kost ( Speed to Burn, skill at top speed, still inconsistant but huge at times, some multi goal games)
Begin-Lapierre-Murray ( 3 energy guys, keep your head up, Lapierre adds some goals)
Bonk as Spare ( the end is near)

notice that Latendresse is still in the Q for another year. Body strength was added but foot speed still needs a touch of work, not slow but not yet enough foot speed to blend in with a very fast Habs team with Kost and Grabo added to the Habs.

Last edited by RC51: 07-07-2006 at 10:58 AM.
RC51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2006, 10:49 AM
JackieChan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuggy View Post
What??!?! You mean GM's are allowed to think about the future of the team and not forced to sign UFA upon UFA to big long term contracts.
I stand besides his mentality, he's actually about hockey, team chemistry and future.

Some GMs see themselves as Hollywood producers, preparing the next mega-budget Tom Cruise vehicle with a sh*tload of special effects but no substance. Sure the poster looks nice, but the actual product is cat food and wont stand the test of time. MI:2 -----> to the trash can. Mullholland Dr. -----> in the movie collection.

See, Bob is artsy

Old
07-07-2006, 10:55 AM
Hab at it

Quote:
Originally Posted by HabsUnited View Post
Actually it starts in 3 months.
Maybe he meant training camp and preseason which starts in Sept?

Hab at it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2006, 10:55 AM
Bob Bastards

Quote:
I stand besides his mentality, he's actually about hockey, team chemistry and future.

Some GMs see themselves as Hollywood producers, preparing the next mega-budget Tom Cruise vehicle with a sh*tload of special effects but no substance. Sure the poster looks nice, but the actual product is cat food and wont stand the test of time. MI:2 -----> to the trash can. Mullholland Dr. -----> in the movie collection.

See, Bob is artsy
I would really like my team to be build like Mad Max, a bunch of hard a$$ willing to kill to get the gas truck.

But once again, that just me...

Bob Bastards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2006, 10:57 AM
NewGuy

Quote:
Hey that kind of thinking is crazy. It's only about next season. Why should it even be a consideration that the top half of our defence will all be UFAs due for big raises after the upcoming season? I look forward to starting the 2007-08 season with a top pairing of Bouillon and Dandenault.

NewGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2006, 11:03 AM
JackieChan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob ******** View Post
I would really like my team to be build like Mad Max, a bunch of hard a$$ willing to kill to get the gas truck.

But once again, that just me...
We're getting there, with Brisebois, Theodore, Audette, and Juneau gone, we've at least started cleaning up the 'Reservoir Dogs' locker room we had.

BTW, was Brisebois the 'Rat' Michel Blanchard was talking about???

Last edited by JackieChan: 07-07-2006 at 11:15 AM. Reason: edited the 'good riddance' list
Old
07-07-2006, 11:06 AM
Tuggy

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewGuy View Post
Hey that kind of thinking is crazy. It's only about next season. Why should it even be a consideration that the top half of our defence will all be UFAs due for big raises after the upcoming season? I look forward to starting the 2007-08 season with a top pairing of Bouillon and Dandenault.
That would strike fear into the hearts of teams across the league.

But seriously...it will be interesting to see what kind of money Markov will get next year. I fully expect him to have a great season and we will definitely want to sign him long term.

Old
07-07-2006, 11:07 AM
DrM

Two wordS...

SIMON!

GAGNE!

http://www.canada.com/topics/sports/...f7feb5&k=66498

DrM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2006, 11:08 AM
Tuggy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrM View Post
Might cost us more then it's worth.

Old
07-07-2006, 11:09 AM
Le depisteur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Corner2 View Post
The Habs are in an enviable position for next year. Here's how things are shaping up for the habs next year. Ultimately Gainey is going to go with what we have on D, and in goal. We have adequate depth on the blueline, we may want to add some minor league depth especially if we can't get Yemelin over here and if we're not big on Sanford and Lemieux. Our depth in goal is excellent and last year proved how important it is to have a few back up plans in goal, as we saw teams like Boston and Toronto miss the playoffs with shaky goaltending from guys that were supposed to be #1's. Habs fans are still wishing Gerber was the only option for Carolina...we might have taken them in 4. Trading Abby is not an option unless we get another goaltender as proven somewhere else. Yann Danis may be ready, but management doesn't seem sure so a full year in Hamilton will do him well.

Up front is a different story. I don't think Gainey is going to hand Kostytsyn the job. He is going to have to earn it like everybody else. That leaves one spot open for a player to play with Kovalev. We are able to pick up around 4.5 million so it might happen through an UFA but it couold just as easily happen in a trade as there will be many teams trying to dump salary after they got the guys they wanted (but paid more than they wanted). I see us picking up a top line winger, keeping Zednik as depth and having Kostytsyn as the 1st scoring line call up. I see Kosty beating out Zednik eventually and playing a regular shift by the end of the year.

Here's the 23 man roster with salaries (some predicted)

Higgins (1m) Koivu (4.75m) Ryder (2m)
? Ribs(1.9m) Kovalev(4.5m)
Zednik (1.9) Pleks(o.45) Perezoighin (1)
Begin (1) Bonk(2.4) Murray(o.475)

Downey(o.475) Ferland (o.5)

Souray (2.28) Komi (1.2)
Markov(1.75) Rivet (2.565)
Bouillion (1.875) Dandeneault (1.725)

Streit (o.6)

Huet (2.875)
Abby (2.2)

Total 37.5 million

That leaves us 4.5 million to spend on 1 player and still stay around the 42 million target.

Who's it going to be?

I don't understand... With your numbers, the total must be 39.42 and the real numbers should be: 39 427 750 $???

Last edited by Le depisteur: 07-07-2006 at 11:16 AM.
Le depisteur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2006, 11:09 AM
JF

Quote:
From what I remember, I think it was Joe Juneau...

JF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2006, 11:10 AM
HabsUnited

Quote:
We're getting there, with Brisebois, Theodore, Dagenais gone, we've at least started cleaning up the 'Reservoir Dogs' locker room we had.

I always thought that was Audette, I'm not sure though.

HabsUnited is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2006, 11:16 AM
JackieChan

Quote:
Originally Posted by HabsUnited View Post
I always thought that was Audette, I'm not sure though.
Seemed like a shy guy to me... wonder how he could have been such a cancer... again, maybe that only was Blanchard's opinion.

Old
07-07-2006, 11:17 AM
Marchy79

I am not entirely worried about next year's team. I do believe we will be a strong team, however we are definately in the tightest division, and everyone around us is improving (Other than probably Bufallo and Ottawa).
Our problems reside in the fact that we still lack a few couple of good linch pins that can officially put us in to the contention role.
I for one, have to say that I am truly excited to see our forward units next year. We have a tonne of talent, character and moxy up there.

However defensively... That's where my feelings subside a bit about this team.
Markov, Komisarek, Bouillon, and one of Rivet/Dandenault is fine.
We have no depth, and Souray is rumoured to be a goner by the season after next year (family in LA).
We are lacking in a solid Right handed #2 defenceman. If Komisarek develops by the start of the season, we could be just fine... I'd be content. Depth wise, we're still a BIT short... (esp. on the right side)...

But the great thing about our forward units, is that we have a tonne of prospects, to essentially fill ONE scoring line role. It's a question of who will be the one. Kost? Perez? Zednik? Lats? It's good to say though we have 5 worthy players playing in correct positions however.

In goal I am much more comfortable going in with Aebi/Huet tandem... Huet was stellar last year, however Aebi has been better in the long term in the NHL... If Huet falters, we have another hungry #1 ready to take his role, as well as Danis/Halak for solid depth in the farm...

In conclusion... I believe if we signed Danny Markov to play with Andrei (they played stellar together on the National squad)... we'd be in that level where cup dreams are finally possible...

Marchy79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2006, 11:18 AM
DrM

Quote:
Might cost us more then it's worth.
Absolutely positively disagree

"Gagne is reportedly looking for a deal worth about $4.5 million per season, but the Flyers, who paid him $2 million last season, are balking at that figure.
Because Gagne is a restricted free agent, a team could extend an offer to him, but the compensation would be four draft choices, including two first-rounders over the next three years. Given the Canadiens' reluctance to mortgage the future, an offer is unlikely, but it might be worth a phone call to see what the Flyers might want in return for Gagne, who is coming off a 47-goal season."

Will we ever, ever, bloody ever again get the chance to trade those picks for someone that good? He's the bomb and
Gagne - ribs - kovy would become like our second 1st line. We'll be able to regain a couple of those picks for aebi and zednik.

DrM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2006, 11:19 AM
JackieChan

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrM View Post
Will we ever, ever, bloody ever again get the chance to trade those picks for someone that good? He's the bomb and
Gagne - ribs - kovy would become like our second 1st line. We'll be able to regain a couple of those picks for aebi and zednik.

TEH TRUTHNESS !!!!

Old
07-07-2006, 11:46 AM
x-bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alouette_19 View Post
Nice situation!!!

Also Zednik will be trade some day for make some room to A.Kostsitsyn on the 3rd line!!!
I hope we see what Zed can do in this season before trading. His value is at an all tim eow right now. There is nor eason to trade him except for salary dump which wouldn't make much sense because *the old Zednik* is a really bargain at 1.9M

x-bob is offline   Reply With Quote