HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Mikey's friends

Old
07-06-2006, 10:36 AM
toshiro
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to toshiro
Mikey's friends

If the Habs keep Ribs what sort of linemates would bring out the best in him? He is very useful on the power play and I belive that he has an accurate shot if fed. At times he was taking punishment in close last year and was effective with his soft hands.

toshiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2006, 10:40 AM
Jakomyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by toshiro View Post
If the Habs keep Ribs what sort of linemates would bring out the best in him? He is very useful on the power play and I belive that he has an accurate shot if fed. At times he was taking punishment in close last year and was effective with his soft hands.
I think he needs at least one player that will work hard in the corners for him, something Ryder did in his rookie year but didn't really do this past year (hernia?). Anyway, if Ryder WAS hurt and IS healthy, I would put them back together and complete the trio with a skilled speedster.. (perezhogin/kostitsyn)... I know the defense might look a bit ugly, but I like the top three lines of:

Higgins-Koivu-Kovalev
Kostitsyn-Ribeiro-Ryder
Perezhogin-Plekanec-Zednik

Jakomyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2006, 10:41 AM
Jeffrey

Send a message via MSN to Jeffrey
Ovechkin and Nash would be a good start !

Jeffrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2006, 10:47 AM
HomaridII

Quote:
Ribeiro is not a shooter, he is a passer. He holds on to the puck too much and will wait and wait and wait in order to pass the puck rather than shoot.

He needs a strong player with that is able to move and find open spaces and has a shoot first mentality. I never understood why they put Kovalev with Ribeiro since Kovalev needs the puck in his stick to be effective and so does Ribeiro. This is why Ribeiro played so well with Dagenais because basically Dagenais was a big body with a good shoot who just waited around for Ribeiro to get him the puck.

With this in mind, I think Kostsitsyn would be a great choice to play with him because he has a very quick release and a very heavy shot.

My lines would be:

Higgings - Koivu - Kovalev

Kostsitsyn - Ribeiro - Ryder

Perezhogin - Plekanec - ???

Downey - Bonk - Begin

HomaridII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2006, 10:56 AM
goalchenyuk

Ribeiro needs players that play well without the puck . Problem with Ryder last season was that he din't know how to find space , room to get the pass from Ribs . That 's why Ribeiro is keeping the puck too long ; His game is to slow the play and to try to get 1-2 players going on him . Only than , he's going to pass . But if the player isn't able to find a space where he can receive the puck , than Ribeiro is in the hot soup .

goalchenyuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2006, 10:57 AM
Astaroth

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark0v View Post
Ribeiro needs players that play well without the puck . Problem with Ryder last season was that he din't know how to find space , room to get the pass from Ribs . That 's why Ribeiro is keeping the puck too long ; His game is to slow the play and to try to get 1-2 players going on him . Only than , he's going to pass . But if the player isn't able to find a space where he can receive the puck , than Ribeiro is in the hot soup .
Exactly, needs a guy in the corners a la knuble and a speedy winger who can go on the break when Ribeiro has two guys going on him.

Astaroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2006, 11:00 AM
Evil Ted

In my opinion they need a skater to play with him someone with some wheels especially if Ryder is going to be one of the wingers right, Ryder is really strictly a shooter. Probably Perezohgin or Kostystin they both can skate but who knows if they are ready for 2nd line duty, you would hope that perez can break out this year that would be great.

Evil Ted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2006, 11:58 AM
jcpenny

Like i said in another thread, he cant win battles. Give the spot to somebody else...

jcpenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2006, 12:52 PM
Azalichio

Send a message via MSN to Azalichio
Surprised no one said Latendresse. I think he's exactly what Ribeiro needs.

Azalichio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2006, 01:01 PM
Habsfan 32

Send a message via ICQ to Habsfan 32 Send a message via MSN to Habsfan 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azalichio View Post
Exactly who I was going to say. Latendresse-Ribeiro-Ryder or Kostisyn.

Habsfan 32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2006, 01:10 PM
Montrealer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsfan 32 View Post
Exactly who I was going to say. Latendresse-Ribeiro-Ryder or Kostisyn.
A Lats-Ribs-Ryder line could be very successful.

Montrealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2006, 02:31 PM
Souffle
A soupçon of nutmeg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azalichio View Post
In a couple of years. I don't think Latendresse is ready to be a top 6 player in the NHL.

Going by how everything stands now, including the presumption that Ribeiro is still the no. 2 center, I'd make the following lines:

Higgins -- Koivu -- Ryder
Zednik -- Ribeiro -- Kovalev
Murray -- Plekanec -- Perezhogin/Kostitsyn
Begin -- Bonk -- Downey/Kostitsyn

I don't know what happened to Zednik last year. His decline isn't because of the Maclaren hit, because he rebounded with his best season immediately after it. It's true that he has that one-armed wide move that never accomplishes anything, but he's never scored much off the rush despite his speed and leg strength.

When he played with Koivu, he scored a lot of his goals as a one-time triggerman in the slot. I can't remember him doing that with any success last year. His grinding/cycling game is still pretty good. In principle, he should be able to complement Ribeiro and Kovalev as the shooter and rebound man.

Souffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2006, 02:50 PM
sXe
Yuuuuuup!

Zednik is brutal on the left wing.

sXe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2006, 02:53 PM
Clumsyhab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montrealer View Post
A Lats-Ribs-Ryder line could be very successful.
That would be one of the slowest line in the league tho.

Clumsyhab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2006, 10:08 PM
tinyzombies

How about Chuck Norris? Can he even skate?

Norris-Ribeiro-Kovalev

"Chuck Norris does not sleep. He waits."

tinyzombies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2006, 10:16 PM
TornACL

Quote:
Originally Posted by raketheleaves View Post
How about Chuck Norris? Can he even skate?
He can do EVERYthing.

Seriously, Alexei Kovalev would be a better option for Ribeiro, since they are both artistic puckhandlers. The left wing spot can be fill by one of Kostitsyn, Perezhogin, Latendresse or even Chuck Norris , but please, not zednik!

TornACL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2006, 10:33 PM
Catch-22

Quote:
How many times does he have to miss an open net in the playoffs for people to admit that his shot is not very effective?

How many more face-offs does he have to lose before we admit that no matter who his line-mates are, we can only possibly have a mediocre second line with him playing on it?

For how many seasons must we acknowledge that he contributes only "at times" (and never in the playoffs), while top-tier teams have consistent producers, before we come to terms with the fact that he is not a reliable contributer worth keeping, let alone building a line around?

Among the consistent PP unit players (Higgins was only there for the last 30 games, Zednik and Bulis split the job, which leaves only Koivu, Kovalev and Ryder), he was last in scoring, that even despite riding Kovalev's coat-tails. Even if he was effective, how useful is a player that is ok on the PP, but nowhere else on the ice?

Unless we find a replacement for the crucial position of second line centre, it's going to be another 7th-8th place year for the Habs; another season where we wonder what went wrong with the team in November and December, another year of blaming Souray, Rivet, Markov, Koivu, Kovalev, the coaching staff and everybody except dear Mike; another season of expensive ticket purchases, only to watch Ribeiro slither across the ice and miss his backcheck; another year of excuses; but most importantly, another long 5 month offseason wishing to be free of these soft, ineffective players who simply do not have the playing style which can help a team win the stanley cup.

Catch-22 is offline   Reply With Quote