HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Ribiero vs Marc Savard

Old
07-06-2006, 09:48 PM
Bruins77forLife

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by habs911 View Post
Same can be said about you guys, if we would have gotten him, you would have said he sucks and overpayed.
That's not true for me. When you guys traded for Kovalev, I said it was a great trade and that the Habs finally got a top notch offensive player. When you guys signed koivu last year, I said it was a great signing for you guys. He's overpaid but he's the heart and soul of the Habs unlike Kovalev. You don't see a Ribeiro VS Boyes trade on the Bruins board?

Bruins77forLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2006, 09:53 PM
BadBruins

Quote:
Originally Posted by waffledave View Post
The funny thing is Savard put up comparable numbers to Ribeiro every single season before last one.

They are very comparable players. Same strengths, same weaknesses. Savard may very well be better but I'm anxious to see if he can replicate last season playing in Boston.

Anyone else notice that the Bruins have extremely small centres? Both are like 5'10" 170 lbs.
Bergeron is around 6'1 195 now, Most un updated sites still have him at 6' 180, from when he was 18. Marc Savard on the other hand is about that size.

BadBruins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2006, 09:54 PM
wholeshow*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Complaining Customer View Post
I don't think you followed too well what's happening around the league. You want a UFA? You'll have to pay for it. We have Bouillon.
Lol, at comparing Bouillon to Savard. It's arguable that Bouillon got overpaid, but it's common knowledget that Savard got paid WAYYYYYYYYY over the amount that he deserved. Bouillon may have been overpaid by a few hundred thousand or so, but Savard got overpaid by atleast a million.

Plus i find it difficult that you're a habs fan? Did you even watch the habs this past season?
Name me ONE UFA d-man that played over 20 minutes last season that got a contract under 1.9 million. Just one.

Do it and i'll back off.

Quote:
He got further than Kovalchuk too. You've got one hell of an argument.
We're not comparing kovalchuk and ribeiro. we're comparing ribeiro and savard...reading comprehension much?

I like how you're giving excuses for the idiocy of other team gm's. perhaps you should jump ship and go cheer for them, seeing crosby as your avatar...why don't you join the penguins bandwagon?

wholeshow* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2006, 09:56 PM
Habruti!

maybe a year with Shanahan and Kovalev would do wonders to Ribs stats, the guys is slow, weak, does not have a good shot but possess good hands, vision and agility. What he needs is two good bodies that can play down low. Actually my preference if he where ready would be the following...

Shanahan, Ribeiro, Latendresse
Perezhogin, Plekanek, Kovalev
Higgins, Koivu, Ryder

Forget whos line 1,2,3 I think this would give us a competitive lineup. If we can't get Shanahan, stick in Kostsitsyn and play these guys with a lot less ice time.

Habruti! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2006, 09:58 PM
wholeshow*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruins77forLife View Post
If it was the Habs who would have signed Savard it would have been apraised by 95% of you guys(Habs fans). You guys would have said stuff like "finnaly a #1 centre", "a great addition by Gainey", "savard makes our top 3 lines so much better" and on and on and on. But because the Bruins signed him, it's a bad signing. Yes, he's overpaid but he's a much better player than Ribeiro. C'mon face it. Savard got 401 points in 503 games. That's nearly 0.80 points per game. He got 97 points last year. I'm not saying he's a 95-100 point player. But he's gonna be a 70-80 point player for the Bruins. Ribeiro had 153 points in 276 games. That's 0.55 points per game. Even if you forget about the stats, there's more to it. They might be of similar height but savard is 18 pounds heavier(195 to 177) and uses his body much better than Ribeiro offensively and defensively. Plus, savard doesn't give you all the headaches than Ribeiro does and is not a primadonna.
Why would we praise the signing of a 5 million dollar mike ribeiro, when we already have one for 1.9 million? lol

have you been reading ANY of these posts on here in the past months? Amongst the hundreds of 'we want arnott' comments and threads, there were probably half a dozen posts where people actually stated that they'd want savard as an UFA. stop making up b.s

Old
07-06-2006, 09:59 PM
wholeshow*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruins77forLife View Post
That's not true for me. When you guys traded for Kovalev, I said it was a great trade and that the Habs finally got a top notch offensive player. When you guys signed koivu last year, I said it was a great signing for you guys. He's overpaid but he's the heart and soul of the Habs unlike Kovalev. You don't see a Ribeiro VS Boyes trade on the Bruins board?
kovalev is slightly overpaid as is koivu, but seeing what many of these gm's are overpaying for the ufa's...i feel much better.

Old
07-06-2006, 10:02 PM
Jean_Jacket41
Neely = HOF

The Bruins had the room to overpay for Savard and Chara cause they have plenty of young cost-controlled players. Montreal can't sign anybody cause they have already overpaid for Kovalev, Koivu, Huet, Bouillon, Bonk, etc.

Savard had 97pts last year and i don't see him scoring that much this year. He'll get something like 75pts and giving the Bruins TWO scoring lines and helping the team on the PP and in the shoutout.

As for his linemates, i agree that Savard had better linemates. Poor Ribeiro... It sure ain't easy to play with Kovalev... So overated and unpredictable. Two guys who like to eat the puck.

Good luck for the 8th spot next year!

Jean_Jacket41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2006, 10:04 PM
bigbaddbruins

your all just saying that because your habs fans

Quote:
I don't think so. Boston is retarded for paying so much. Savard is better but not at that price.
Every team in the nhl will be afraid of the bruins. Everyone acts like chara and savard is the team. our team is loaded with young talent that because of our relied on veterans were injured most of the season, they got just as much ice time as the big name first liners against very good teams to boost there experience. they got about 2 years worth of experience in one season. We dont need savard to get 100 points, if he gets a point a game we will be just fine with the rest of the core we got. I am a die hard bruins fan, and tradeing thornton, samsonov, best thing we ever did. thornton is overated. He sucked playing with us, then he kicked *** on san jose because they have been rebuilding for years and already had cheechoo and marleau in the beginingingof there prime, and he hated boston and floated around the ice, he got **** loads of playing minutes, and always was given the puck, of course hes gonna get lots of assists. same went for sharks except he played with high experieced, high skilled players on his line. that line was the only line to really score for the sharks, they were on the ice more than any other players in league. put bergeron in between marleau, cheechoo, he would get 100 points or more. Did Bruins overpay Chara, savard, it wont be overpaid if we sighn all our ra"s and the current rumor of shannahan. will make us cup contender with the amount of money every other team is spending. the salary cap. Bruins will be second in our division behind ottawa. montreal, buffalo, wont be as good as last year. p.s even tradeing away our top players, having our vetrans out, leetch murray, zhamnov. and a goaltending dispute, which is now over. we still had 29 wins i think 18 ties. and at the end the last month, most of our games we only lost by 1 goal. and we got kessler, brad stuart, sturm, chara, marc savard, and probably 2 years with shanhan, wayne premeau for the often injured 6 mill a year samsonov, and high paid thornton, who would never up his game in Boston. traded raycrost for toronto goaltender. forgot name, who will be next hasek from toronto, tuusk Now not only did we get a team for the future, we got a young team, mixed with some great veterans, who can win the cup as early as THIS YEAR Bruins dynasty on the way. say what you want, its not overpaid if we have a cup contending team within the cap, even if we paid some guys some big money. Oh by the way what center, that young and that talented that would be better than the 100 point scoring savard, didnt he in years before kovalchuck, heatly was out of the league for year. didnt he still get good amount of points, check it out, you may second guess yourself. dont forget, kovalchuck and hossa are puck hogs, alot of plays they may have not even involved savard. i saw alot of hossa, kovelchuck goals unnasisted, or just assisted, by defense, they pass puck to them, hossa, kovalchuck, go right to the net, not using savard.

bigbaddbruins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2006, 10:05 PM
HH
GO HABS GO!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean_Jacket41 View Post
The Bruins had the room to overpay for Savard and Chara cause they have plenty of young cost-controlled players. Montreal can't sign anybody cause they have already overpaid for Kovalev, Koivu, Huet, Bouillon, Bonk, etc.

Savard had 97pts last year and i don't see him scoring that much this year. He'll get something like 75pts and giving the Bruins TWO scoring lines and helping the team on the PP and in the shoutout.

As for his linemates, i agree that Savard had better linemates. Poor Ribeiro... It sure ain't easy to play with Kovalev... So overated and unpredictable. Two guys who like to eat the puck.

Ok...I remember Chicago fans trash talking last year after signing Khabi and Aucoin (hmmm ) good luck for 13th spot.

HH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2006, 10:05 PM
CHareth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean_Jacket41 View Post
Good luck for 9th. It'll be a huge improvement from 13th!

CHareth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2006, 10:14 PM
waffledave
waffledave, from hf

For those who say Savard's points didn't come from playing with Hossa and Kovalchuk....

I just went through the scoresheets for all 82 Atlanta games.

I took note of every point Savard recorded where either Hossa or Kovalchuk (or both) got a point on the same play.

The total came out to 65 points.

Savard recorded 65 points where either one of Hossa or Kovalchuk recorded a point as well.

Look it up yourself if you don't believe me. It only took about 30 minutes.

waffledave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2006, 10:15 PM
Complaining Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunjeebakala View Post
Lol, at comparing Bouillon to Savard. It's arguable that Bouillon got overpaid, but it's common knowledget that Savard got paid WAYYYYYYYYY over the amount that he deserved. Bouillon may have been overpaid by a few hundred thousand or so, but Savard got overpaid by atleast a million.

Plus i find it difficult that you're a habs fan? Did you even watch the habs this past season?
Name me ONE UFA d-man that played over 20 minutes last season that got a contract under 1.9 million. Just one.

Do it and i'll back off.

We're not comparing kovalchuk and ribeiro. we're comparing ribeiro and savard...reading comprehension much?

I like how you're giving excuses for the idiocy of other team gm's. perhaps you should jump ship and go cheer for them, seeing crosby as your avatar...why don't you join the penguins bandwagon?
Hmmm. Did I compare Bouillon and Savard? I said that if you didn't want to pay for good UFAs, you get Bouillon. He played 20 minutes per game? The only thing that's telling me is how much our D sucks. Bouillon is waiver-wire material, 7th d-man on an average team. I didn't even said he was overrating (even tho I think he is), I only said that's what you got when you were not willing to pay. Learn to read.

As an argument to why Ribeiro's better than Savard, someone said that Ribeiro got further in the playoffs. That doesn't make sense, I was merely underlying it. I never compared Kovalchuk to Ribeiro. Reading comprehension you say?

Yeah, look at my avatar. It's actually making fun of Crosby. That's really an indication of me joining the Pens' bandwagon... Can't read, not much better with images... Way to go, you're an all-around dumb-***!!!

Complaining Customer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2006, 10:18 PM
Bruins77forLife

Savard and Chara were overpaid, but if you have the cap space it's not the end of the world. The bottom line is they make the Bruins better.

As of right now our top 3 lines would be: Sturm-Bergeron-Boyes, Murray-Savard-Kessel, Axelson-Primeau-Donovan. That's pretty good. I love the rookies that they signed and which will probably rotate on the 4th line: Kreji, Karsums and especially Kalus. These guys are gonna be good players. If we can sign Shanahan for let's say 2 years 7 millions it would be perfect. A leader, stanley cup winner. Perfect fit on the 2nd line.

Our defense is very solid and mobile this year: Chara, Mara, B. Stuart, M. Stuart, Jurcina, Alberts and maybe Tanabe.

And in nets, we have Hannu Toivonen who's gonna turn a lot of heads. This guy is a hell of a goalie, remember his name, he's gonna be a contender for the Calder. Plus, Tim Thomas as a respectable backup.

I think the Bruins are gonna be a pretty good team this year barring major injuries. Toivonen will be the key factor. If he remains healthy we will be a hard team to beat.

Bruins77forLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2006, 10:29 PM
The n00b King *

You guys are arguing for NOTHING

This isnt a Ribeiro vs Marc Savard thread

this is a Ribiero vs Marc Savard thread...

The n00b King * is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2006, 10:53 PM
greatlakeshab

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbaddbruins View Post
Every team in the nhl will be afraid of the bruins. Everyone acts like chara and savard is the team. our team is loaded with young talent that because of our relied on veterans were injured most of the season, they got just as much ice time as the big name first liners against very good teams to boost there experience. they got about 2 years worth of experience in one season. We dont need savard to get 100 points, if he gets a point a game we will be just fine with the rest of the core we got. I am a die hard bruins fan, and tradeing thornton, samsonov, best thing we ever did. thornton is overated. He sucked playing with us, then he kicked *** on san jose because they have been rebuilding for years and already had cheechoo and marleau in the beginingingof there prime, and he hated boston and floated around the ice, he got **** loads of playing minutes, and always was given the puck, of course hes gonna get lots of assists. same went for sharks except he played with high experieced, high skilled players on his line. that line was the only line to really score for the sharks, they were on the ice more than any other players in league. put bergeron in between marleau, cheechoo, he would get 100 points or more. Did Bruins overpay Chara, savard, it wont be overpaid if we sighn all our ra"s and the current rumor of shannahan. will make us cup contender with the amount of money every other team is spending. the salary cap. Bruins will be second in our division behind ottawa. montreal, buffalo, wont be as good as last year. p.s even tradeing away our top players, having our vetrans out, leetch murray, zhamnov. and a goaltending dispute, which is now over. we still had 29 wins i think 18 ties. and at the end the last month, most of our games we only lost by 1 goal. and we got kessler, brad stuart, sturm, chara, marc savard, and probably 2 years with shanhan, wayne premeau for the often injured 6 mill a year samsonov, and high paid thornton, who would never up his game in Boston. traded raycrost for toronto goaltender. forgot name, who will be next hasek from toronto, tuusk Now not only did we get a team for the future, we got a young team, mixed with some great veterans, who can win the cup as early as THIS YEAR Bruins dynasty on the way. say what you want, its not overpaid if we have a cup contending team within the cap, even if we paid some guys some big money. Oh by the way what center, that young and that talented that would be better than the 100 point scoring savard, didnt he in years before kovalchuck, heatly was out of the league for year. didnt he still get good amount of points, check it out, you may second guess yourself. dont forget, kovalchuck and hossa are puck hogs, alot of plays they may have not even involved savard. i saw alot of hossa, kovelchuck goals unnasisted, or just assisted, by defense, they pass puck to them, hossa, kovalchuck, go right to the net, not using savard.

This guy has some good dope

greatlakeshab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2006, 10:57 PM
Complaining Customer

Quote:
For those who say Savard's points didn't come from playing with Hossa and Kovalchuk....

I just went through the scoresheets for all 82 Atlanta games.

I took note of every point Savard recorded where either Hossa or Kovalchuk (or both) got a point on the same play.

The total came out to 65 points.

Savard recorded 65 points where either one of Hossa or Kovalchuk recorded a point as well.

Look it up yourself if you don't believe me. It only took about 30 minutes.
Are you telling me Kovalchuk made like 50 points riding Savard's hotness???

I mean, it's kind of normal they made points together. They played together all year long. It's pretty normal he made points on the PP with Hossa, they were playing together.

So Savard had 67% of his points with either Kovalchuk or Hossa... If Mtl had constant lines, Ribeiro would have the same percentages... 19 of his 26 first points came on plays with either Dagenais or Ryder having a point! That's 73%!!

17 of his 25 last points came on plays where either Kovalev or Bulis had a point! 68%!!

That's great math (the numbers are real), it most mean Ribeiro can't score on a line alone by himself...

But seriously, I'd be interested to know how many points Savard scored with Hossa at even strenght... And most important, how many points Savard scored with both Kovalchuk and Hossa on the play at even strenght... well, you'd need to look at the shifts charts for that.

Complaining Customer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2006, 11:03 PM
waffledave
waffledave, from hf

Quote:
Are you telling me Kovalchuk made like 50 points riding Savard's hotness???

I mean, it's kind of normal they made points together. They played together all year long. It's pretty normal he made points on the PP with Hossa, they were playing together.

So Savard had 67% of his points with either Kovalchuk or Hossa... If Mtl had constant lines, Ribeiro would have the same percentages... 19 of his 26 first points came on plays with either Dagenais or Ryder having a point! That's 73%!!

17 of his 25 last points came on plays where either Kovalev or Bulis had a point! 68%!!

That's great math (the numbers are real), it most mean Ribeiro can't score on a line alone by himself...

But seriously, I'd be interested to know how many points Savard scored with Hossa at even strenght... And most important, how many points Savard scored with both Kovalchuk and Hossa on the play at even strenght... well, you'd need to look at the shifts charts for that.
All I'm saying is that the claim that many have made that "Savard didn't even play much with Hossa and Kovalchuk" is false. They are the reason his point totals were so high.

Wasn't it you that said the Hossa-Savard-Kovalchuk line didn't exist?

Hossa and Kovalchuk are two of the most talented players in the league. Savard didn't make them, they made Savard. Ribeiro playing on the same line would have put up similar numbers.

Old
07-06-2006, 11:05 PM
bastone

Guy's very simple,start a thread in the national hockey league talk and ask who is better,Savard Or Ribeiro.No Habs fans or Bruins fan answer

bastone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2006, 11:12 PM
waffledave
waffledave, from hf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumbo_Joe_19 View Post
Guy's very simple,start a thread in the national hockey league talk and ask who is better,Savard Or Ribeiro.No Habs fans or Bruins fan answer
Kinda hard to judge considering Savard just came off a 90+ point season. And he's played many, many more seasons. And their situations are way different. It would make more sense to ask this question at the end of this comming season, when Savard plays with some mediocre wingers.

Old
07-06-2006, 11:15 PM
Ford Prefect

Quote:
Originally Posted by toshiro View Post
Is there really that much difference?
Only about 40 points

Ford Prefect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2006, 11:17 PM
bastone

Quote:
Kinda hard to judge considering Savard just came off a 90+ point season. And he's played many, many more seasons. And their situations are way different. It would make more sense to ask this question at the end of this comming season, when Savard plays with some mediocre wingers.

Murray and Sturm are no mediocre players.They are not superstars but they are much better then Bulis and Zednik!

bastone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2006, 11:19 PM
HH
GO HABS GO!

Quote:
Murray and Sturm are no mediocre players.They are not superstars but they are much better then Bulis and Zednik!
hmmm not so sure, anyways treat Bulis bad all you want but he's not a Hab anymore as for Zednik he has good times and bad times like every player.

HH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2006, 11:20 PM
waffledave
waffledave, from hf

Quote:
No doubt, but Bulis and Zednik are BELOW mediocre!

Old
07-06-2006, 11:22 PM
greatlakeshab

Quote:
Stop making yourself look stupid Zednick may be unreliable during the season but he has been a playoff performer unlike Murray. Who cares how many points Murray used to get in regular season when he becomes a shadow in the playoffs.

greatlakeshab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2006, 11:24 PM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford Prefect View Post
Only about 40 points
Ribeiro could have easily put up 90+ points on Atlanta.

Fish on The Sand is online now   Reply With Quote