HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Why Do People Want to See Souray Traded??

Old
07-05-2006, 08:24 PM
nyhabsfan
Waiting for #25.....

vCash: 500
Why Do People Want to See Souray Traded??

I just don't understand why people are so adamant that Souray should be part of any trade.

Look at our D right now (in order of depth)

Markov
Rivet
Souray
Komi
Dandenault
Boullion/Streit

Since we don't have a premier #1 D ---> like a Pronger, Nedimeyer we need to improve our depth by strenghtening our bottom pairing with a guy like Danny Markov.

Markov id better than either Dandenault, Boullion, Streit, he had 0 goals but was a +9 so he was very solid in his own end. He's a warrior like Boullion and would give us 4 tough dmen.

Also Souray has indicated that he loves to play for the Habs, wants to stay here and aside from his occasional brain farts (see Spezza and Bergeron lat year), he's a solid dman. Every interview i've seen with Souray tells me that he knows how special it is to wear the CH on his chest.

Yes we need a #2 center, but trading away a valuable asset when we aren't exactly deep in doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

nyhabsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2006, 08:26 PM
Roxor

Send a message via MSN to Roxor
because he's going to be a ufa and he will sign in the west coast

we should trade him while is worth something and not lose him for nothing

Roxor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2006, 08:27 PM
Zander20

I Beleive everyone wants him traded because he's a UFA next year and many don't beleive he will re-sign because he wants to be closer to his daughter. I'd rather see us get something for him than nothing when he becomes a UFA.

Zander20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2006, 08:27 PM
jpchabby

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyhabsfan View Post
I just don't understand why people are so adamant that Souray should be part of any trade.

Markov
Rivet
Souray
Komi
Dandenault
Boullion/Streit

Since we don't have a premier #1 D ---> like a Pronger, Nedimeyer we need to improve our depth by strenghtening our bottom pairing with a guy like Danny Markov.

Markov id better than either Dandenault, Boullion, Streit, he had 0 goals but was a +9 so he was very solid in his own end. He's a warrior like Boullion and would give us 4 tough dmen.

Also Souray has indicated that he loves to play for the Habs, wants to stay here and aside from his occasional brain farts (see Spezza and Bergeron lat year), he's a solid dman. Every interview i've seen with Souray tells me that he knows how special it is to wear the CH on his chest.

Yes we need a #2 center, but trading away a valuable asset when we aren't exactly deep in doesn't make a lot of sense to me.
And at the end of the last season, seems like he's found the skills of the previous season, where he was performing, getting a lot of goals... I like him, but in one-on-one situation has difficulties... and sometimes he gets too angry... but he's pretty good offensively

jpchabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2006, 08:28 PM
Traitor8

He has good value.

I would like to keep him but if we want to get some offensive players , we need to trade him while we can if we have a defenseman to replace him within the system, through UFA or through trade.

Traitor8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2006, 08:49 PM
Moester

Send a message via AIM to Moester Send a message via MSN to Moester
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shtalenkov View Post

Why does everyone say he wants to go West Coast? This is the guy who used to write letters to Montreal newspapers and always talked about how much he likes playing in MTL. Have I missed an interview or something?

Moester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2006, 08:49 PM
nyhabsfan
Waiting for #25.....

Logical Move

Before we "assume" that he will move to California, why not talk to his agent and see what length and amount he's looking at. If it's reasonable..let's sign him.

Otherwise we'll need another Dman in the offseason to replace him, and judging from this offseason, we may not be able to do even that!

Old
07-05-2006, 08:52 PM
gusfring

Quote:

Markov
Rivet
Souray
Komi
Dandenault
Boullion/Streit

If the Poti rumour is true it would make sense to move Souray at that point and get something for him. May be easier said than done, though.

gusfring is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2006, 08:58 PM
Adam91

Tom Poti is one of the top 10 worst dmen in the NHL. I was expecting him to sign somewhere in the AHL or Europe. I believe the rumour is false because Gainey couldn't be a big enough idiot to sign Poti for the league minimum never mind millions he rumour says

Adam91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2006, 09:01 PM
Malakhov

Send a message via MSN to Malakhov
Because Souray is just god awful, everytime I watch a game and see a one on one with Souray at defence, I expect a goal.

Malakhov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2006, 09:01 PM
SOLR

I dont want some more Spezza-Briere(example) action around Sourray, thats why I want him out. Plus hes UFA next year, it fits + I think many people are under estimating what Streit could do if he had a real spot.

SOLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2006, 09:03 PM
jakedajewler*

did you see that highlight reel goal that spezza scored on him? well that wasn't the only one, at times he was a slow pilon, still like him though but in the new nhl he shouldn't be a #1 or 2 dman

jakedajewler* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2006, 09:15 PM
Melvin Udall

nyhabsfan,
I agree with you regarding Souray. Personally, I think all around he is Habs #1 D- man!

Melvin Udall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2006, 09:21 PM
deandebean

Because...well because it's a public board and we can't use coarse language, I'll refrain myself. I'm not going to tell you why I wish he was gone.

deandebean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Le Tricolore
Boo! Booooo!

vCash: 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by jakedajewler View Post
did you see that highlight reel goal that spezza scored on him? well that wasn't the only one, at times he was a slow pilon, still like him though but in the new nhl he shouldn't be a #1 or 2 dman
1. Markov
2. Rivet

hey, what do you know!

Le Tricolore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
nyhabsfan
Waiting for #25.....

Quote:

He's actually got decent foot speed for a Dman. Yes, he does make the occasional mental mistake, but he's a SOLID HARD NOISED Dman with a heck a shot from the point that opponents worried.

Poti is a HUGE DOWNGRADE and he's a very good #3 dman on any team.

Gainey will not give him away, but I sure hope he stays and we improve our bottom D pairings. Boullion/Streit cannot play more than 12 minutes a game, otherwise Souray will be the least of our problems!

Old
07-05-2006, 09:41 PM
znk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shtalenkov View Post

Yup...that's the most valid reason.

znk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2006, 09:55 PM
wholeshow*

Quote:
yes, good defenseman NEVER make mistakes.

wholeshow* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2006, 10:45 PM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

I don`t think there`s one Habs defenseman I wouldn`y trade except Komisarek. I think Sourey, Rivet and Markov would have great value outthere.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2006, 10:55 PM
SOLR

Quote:
He's actually got decent foot speed for a Dman. Yes, he does make the occasional mental mistake, but he's a SOLID HARD NOISED Dman with a heck a shot from the point that opponents worried.

Poti is a HUGE DOWNGRADE and he's a very good #3 dman on any team.

Gainey will not give him away, but I sure hope he stays and we improve our bottom D pairings. Boullion/Streit cannot play more than 12 minutes a game, otherwise Souray will be the least of our problems!
Can we stop talking about Poti? hes not signed.

SOLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2006, 11:03 PM
Rayne*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimota View Post
I don`t think there`s one Habs defenseman I wouldn`y trade except Komisarek. I think Sourey, Rivet and Markov would have great value outthere.
You'd keep Komisarek over Markov? Markov had 46 pts in 67 games last season, and he's only 27. If he had played all 82 games, he would've been on pace to reach 56 pts, the same number Pronger reached if I'm not mistaken. He hasn't even entered his prime yet, and I expect him to get into the 60 pt range soon enough, and it's not out of the realm of possibility to consider him a future Norris candidate either.

Rayne* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2006, 11:05 PM
deandebean

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoreVX View Post
You'd keep Komisarek over Markov? Markov had 46 pts in 67 games last season, and he's only 27. If he had played all 82 games, he would've been on pace to reach 56 pts, the same number Pronger reached if I'm not mistaken. He hasn't even entered his prime yet, and I expect him to get into the 60 pt range soon enough, and it's not out of the realm of possibility to consider him a future Norris candidate either.
Carbonneau is not a big fan of Markov. Just to let you know. He finds him weird, and uninterested. Was never a big fan of Zubov either when he was in Dallas.

deandebean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2006, 11:11 PM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

I don`t like Markov either. Sure he has talent but will never have those big numbers because he`s inconsistent. Komisarek is also pretty young and has tremendous potential.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2006, 12:07 AM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

Quote:

Markov
Rivet
Souray
Komi
Dandenault
Boullion/Streit

I'd like to see sheldon in a hab uniform for a long time. But as other people said, there's a chance we will lose him for nothing.

Personally, I'd wait to see how this season is going before I jump to any comclusions. If the habs have a terrible non playoff year, maybe it is a good idea to deal him. On the other hand, Gainey will have the whole season to try and sign him before the UFA market opens. Right now, Sheldon has being saying all the right things so everything is speculation.

Hackett is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2006, 12:12 AM
sXe
Yuuuuuup!

Markov and Souray are without a doubt our best assets for a trade. They're one year removed from UFA but their salary can fit on any contender.

sXe is offline   Reply With Quote