HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Proposal: Colorado - Phoenix (beat it to death a bit more)

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
11-07-2003, 09:35 PM
  #1
RoyIsALegend*
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Mississauga, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,815
vCash: 500
Proposal: Colorado - Phoenix (beat it to death a bit more)

Simple proposal.

To Phoenix: D Keith Ballard, COL 3rd round pick
To Colorado: G Sean Burke

Discuss.

RoyIsALegend* is offline  
Old
11-07-2003, 09:38 PM
  #2
Mr. Canucklehead
Mod Supervisor
Kitimat Canuck
 
Mr. Canucklehead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Kitimat, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,059
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyIsALegend
Simple proposal.

To Phoenix: D Keith Ballard, COL 3rd round pick
To Colorado: G Sean Burke

Discuss.
Phoenix doesn't strike me as a team that's looking for future help/prospects and the like, or that is entering a rebuilding phase. I think they already did that when they got rid of guys like Tkachuk and Roenick. So I would find it odd if Burke were dealt for a package like this, and not for someone that would provide more immediate help to the Coyotes.

~Canucklehead~

__________________
Please visit my Official Facebook Page Mike Forward Writing for information on current and future releases.
Mr. Canucklehead is online now  
Old
11-07-2003, 10:02 PM
  #3
Vatican Roulette
Detroit Fan
 
Vatican Roulette's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: 10 days to Michigan
Country: United States
Posts: 7,940
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by canucklehead17
Phoenix doesn't strike me as a team that's looking for future help/prospects and the like, or that is entering a rebuilding phase. I think they already did that when they got rid of guys like Tkachuk and Roenick. So I would find it odd if Burke were dealt for a package like this, and not for someone that would provide more immediate help to the Coyotes.

~Canucklehead~
What? Not rebuilding?

They traded Numminen for Sillinger and a 2nd.

Plus, they've been stocking up on picks and whatnot ever since the Tkachuk deal, like you said.

Also, Burke is getting old, so if they can get picks/prospects for him it will help the team in the future.......where Burke can't help the team in the future.

Vatican Roulette is offline  
Old
11-07-2003, 10:09 PM
  #4
Ajacied
Remember #9
 
Ajacied's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Netherlands
Country: Netherlands
Posts: 23,106
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by pavel datsyuk
What? Not rebuilding?

They traded Numminen for Sillinger and a 2nd.
Heh.. worse, it was Sillinger for Numminen straight up, the 2nd went to Dallas and the Stars own the Yotes a conditional first if they re-sign him, which they won't.

Ajacied is offline  
Old
11-08-2003, 05:17 AM
  #5
hbk
Registered User
 
hbk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,256
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Modano = God
Heh.. worse, it was Sillinger for Numminen straight up, the 2nd went to Dallas and the Stars own the Yotes a conditional first if they re-sign him, which they won't.

I beleive their were futures attached to the deal which apparently is a draft pick contingent on how far Dallas goes in the playoffs this year. Top end being a 2nd round pick. It's the same type of deal they struck with Vancouver last year for Brad May.

Also, in terms of Numminen resigning. It was actually Numminen's agent that brokered the deal and he did so with the orders of finding a team that would be willing to offer an extension. Their camp sounded fairly positive they would have an extension worked out with Dallas.

hbk is offline  
Old
11-08-2003, 05:19 AM
  #6
hbk
Registered User
 
hbk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,256
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyIsALegend
Simple proposal.

To Phoenix: D Keith Ballard, COL 3rd round pick
To Colorado: G Sean Burke

Discuss.

actually a proposal very similar to this came up on the Coyote board about 3 months ago. Only difference was the pick but like the May deal last year they could make the draft pick contingent upon the playoff success of the Avalanche. Personally (and my fellow Coyote fans will likely disagree with me), I think this is likely the type of deal that would be worked out between the two parties.

hbk is offline  
Old
11-08-2003, 07:16 AM
  #7
NCAAexpert
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 11
vCash: 500
This is legitimately about what Phoenix can expect for Burke.
Guys who are near the end of their careers and not superstar players don't command players like Tanguay.

If Phoenix is expecting Tanguay, they can pretty well forget it. He is not "untouchable," but the Avalanche won't trade him for a 37-year-old goalie. If we're talking about Theodore, it's a different story.

Plus, Joseph is on the market, which drives the value down.

NCAAexpert is offline  
Old
11-08-2003, 08:00 AM
  #8
PhoPhan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 13,136
vCash: 500
Ballard and a 3rd is about what I would expect for Burke, once he regains his form. At this point in the year, due to a variety of factors, this deal likely would not go down. Wait until closer to the deadline, however, after Burke has remained healthy, played his ass off, and there are fewer viable options, this is the type of deal I could see happening. The Coyotes really favor the collegiate prospects, so Ballard would be the type of guy they might go for. I actually wouldn't mind throwing a depth forward into this deal with Burke, someone who could help the Avalanche in the playoffs, in order to either upgrade the pick or add a prospect of some sort.

PhoPhan is online now  
Old
11-08-2003, 08:38 AM
  #9
Mr. Canucklehead
Mod Supervisor
Kitimat Canuck
 
Mr. Canucklehead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Kitimat, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,059
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoPhan
Ballard and a 3rd is about what I would expect for Burke, once he regains his form. At this point in the year, due to a variety of factors, this deal likely would not go down. Wait until closer to the deadline, however, after Burke has remained healthy, played his ass off, and there are fewer viable options, this is the type of deal I could see happening. The Coyotes really favor the collegiate prospects, so Ballard would be the type of guy they might go for. I actually wouldn't mind throwing a depth forward into this deal with Burke, someone who could help the Avalanche in the playoffs, in order to either upgrade the pick or add a prospect of some sort.
Some very good points in there. I think that the pick could be higher, simply because of Burke's undeniable value to the Coyotes team. I still think the Avs would be better off going after someone like Martin Biron, but Sean Burke would definitely be a demon between the pipes for the Avs.

~Canucklehead~

Mr. Canucklehead is online now  
Old
11-08-2003, 09:39 AM
  #10
hbk
Registered User
 
hbk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,256
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by canucklehead17
Some very good points in there. I think that the pick could be higher, simply because of Burke's undeniable value to the Coyotes team. I still think the Avs would be better off going after someone like Martin Biron, but Sean Burke would definitely be a demon between the pipes for the Avs.

~Canucklehead~
Just seems to me the only reason that Buffalo deals Biron is if they determine that the other two guys currently behind him will pass him on the depth chart. I'm not sold that Biron is an upgrade over Aebischer at this point. He's young, cheap, and unproven which is essentially what the Avalanche already have. If Colorado is going to make a deal, they will deal for someone with experience and who is capable of winning games and carrying the team for periods/games.

hbk is offline  
Old
11-08-2003, 09:42 AM
  #11
XX
... Waiting
 
XX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: 48th State
Country: United States
Posts: 26,053
vCash: 500
What could the Avs offer if we threw a guy like Hrdina into the deal?
Sure he hasnt found his place here yet, im not giving up on him.

XX is offline  
Old
11-08-2003, 09:48 AM
  #12
Double XX L
Registered User
 
Double XX L's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Barrie
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,884
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NuckMan
Take Ballard out and you have a more accurate representation of what Burke would bring.
I disagree... Hackett alone cost SJ Sundstrom and a Second rounder. just last season.

Burke has twice the commendations, and is not nearly as spotty a playoff goalie.

Ballard and a third should be fair... but I don't see Colorado wanting to get rid of Ballard so quickly... That would cost Colorado more.

Double XX L is offline  
Old
11-08-2003, 10:43 AM
  #13
Enoch
This is my boomstick
 
Enoch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Chattanooga TN
Country: United States
Posts: 12,341
vCash: 500
I think a 2nd round pick, barring a monster bidding war, is fair value for Burke at the deadline, which if I'm the Avs is the only time I make a move for goalie.

Enoch is offline  
Old
11-08-2003, 10:55 AM
  #14
Double XX L
Registered User
 
Double XX L's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Barrie
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,884
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch
I think a 2nd round pick, barring a monster bidding war, is fair value for Burke at the deadline, which if I'm the Avs is the only time I make a move for goalie.
The whole thing that would make the trade is the stud prospect. Not the second/third round choice.
Burke is 37, but he still has 2-3 years left in the tank. He is in very good physical shape, and when he's on, he can outplay 9.5/10ths of the league... He does not have the drop like CuJo has shown in the past few years..

I would be very surprised if 2 things happen
(1) Burke lasts another full year in Phoenix
(2) That Burke's ticket price is not expensive.

Phoenix woiuld want a young bonafide NHL'er back. (i.e. first rounder Ballard, or Tanguay, etc)

Because Burke is a proven NHL goaltender.

Double XX L is offline  
Old
11-08-2003, 11:12 AM
  #15
PhoPhan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 13,136
vCash: 500
At this point, I think asking for an established player like Tanguay, who is young, cheap, and has shown he can produce, is out of the question. However, a guy like Ballard or Boychuk seems much more feasible.

PhoPhan is online now  
Old
11-08-2003, 11:36 AM
  #16
Goulet17
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 2,482
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost # 1
The whole thing that would make the trade is the stud prospect. Not the second/third round choice.
Burke is 37, but he still has 2-3 years left in the tank. He is in very good physical shape, and when he's on, he can outplay 9.5/10ths of the league... He does not have the drop like CuJo has shown in the past few years..

I would be very surprised if 2 things happen
(1) Burke lasts another full year in Phoenix
(2) That Burke's ticket price is not expensive.

Phoenix woiuld want a young bonafide NHL'er back. (i.e. first rounder Ballard, or Tanguay, etc)

Because Burke is a proven NHL goaltender.
The likelihood of Burke playing 2-3 more seasons when he turns 37 in January is between slim and none IMO.

Besides, the Avs aren't going to have any use for him past this season, they wouldn't exercise the team option on him.

After this season, the Avs are going to go the youth route, likely giving the goaltending reigns to Sauve full time.

So as far as giving up alot in terms of a trade package, you could forget about it, because the Avs aren't going to give up an Alex Tanguay to have Sean Burke for 4 months. That is the height of stupidity.

If Barnett wants to drive a hard bargain, so be it, none of us have any indications that Lacroix is even interested in Burke. If the Avs aren't in the market, where exactly is Barnett going to deal Burke? It isn't a seller's market.

The fact is that if the Avs don't deal for Burke, I'm not sure what team will, if any. So let Barnett attempt to drive a hard bargain, because the likely result in my mind is the loss of Burke with nothing in return in the off season, and Barnett will be one step closer to the exit door in Phoenix for poor asset management.

Goulet17 is offline  
Old
11-08-2003, 01:49 PM
  #17
Zodiac
Registered User
 
Zodiac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,484
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyIsALegend
Simple proposal.

To Phoenix: D Keith Ballard, COL 3rd round pick
To Colorado: G Sean Burke

Discuss.

Take Ballard out.

A 2nd should be enough ...if not too bad then.

Zodiac is offline  
Old
11-08-2003, 04:38 PM
  #18
XX
... Waiting
 
XX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: 48th State
Country: United States
Posts: 26,053
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goulet17
It isn't a seller's market.
Yet

XX is offline  
Old
11-08-2003, 04:38 PM
  #19
Double XX L
Registered User
 
Double XX L's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Barrie
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,884
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goulet17
The likelihood of Burke playing 2-3 more seasons when he turns 37 in January is between slim and none IMO.

Besides, the Avs aren't going to have any use for him past this season, they wouldn't exercise the team option on him.

After this season, the Avs are going to go the youth route, likely giving the goaltending reigns to Sauve full time.

So as far as giving up alot in terms of a trade package, you could forget about it, because the Avs aren't going to give up an Alex Tanguay to have Sean Burke for 4 months. That is the height of stupidity.

If Barnett wants to drive a hard bargain, so be it, none of us have any indications that Lacroix is even interested in Burke. If the Avs aren't in the market, where exactly is Barnett going to deal Burke? It isn't a seller's market.

The fact is that if the Avs don't deal for Burke, I'm not sure what team will, if any. So let Barnett attempt to drive a hard bargain, because the likely result in my mind is the loss of Burke with nothing in return in the off season, and Barnett will be one step closer to the exit door in Phoenix for poor asset management.
I am a firm believer that the final piece of the puzzle (for stanley cups) are always expensive. Ive seen it happen since way back in 1989 when Calgary picked up Gilmour for young rookie Brett Hull and more. Nieuwyndyk to dallas for Iginla.. (more in that trade as well)
Fleury to Colorado for Corbet, Regher etc.
anyways the point is that Phoenix knows (as well as Colorado would as well) That Burke cements the Av's chances on a Stanley cup... and to win a stanley cup, Any team should be willing to pay ALMOST any price.
I used Tanguay more as an example, it could be Skoula as well, or any assortment to the plethora of youth Colorado has. But it will cost more than a draft choice. Esp. when a goalie with 1/3 the resume is shipped near the dead line (UFA albeit as well) for a second and Sundstrom (at the time, one year removed from being a major piece of the best third line in hockey)

Double XX L is offline  
Old
11-08-2003, 06:25 PM
  #20
Enoch
This is my boomstick
 
Enoch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Chattanooga TN
Country: United States
Posts: 12,341
vCash: 500
You know what, the Yotes are in a bit of a slump right now, and Burke hasn't been all that great. I still stick to my original statement....

2nd round pick/no more come deadline time, unless a huge bidding war ensues. I say this is his price regardless of which team tries to pick him up.

Enoch is offline  
Old
11-08-2003, 07:56 PM
  #21
Freudian
calmer than you are
 
Freudian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Country: Sweden
Posts: 26,870
vCash: 50
A 2nd for Burke at trade deadline would be a good return for Phoenix. I very much doubt you will see any 1st/top prospect involved.

Anway, at least we don't see the Tanguay for Burke proposals anymore. I suspect as the season moves on we will see the proposals from Phoenix fans decrease until we end up with "a 2nd for Burke". Just wait and see.

Freudian is offline  
Old
11-08-2003, 08:46 PM
  #22
DRL
Streak killers!
 
DRL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Brampton, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,102
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to DRL Send a message via Yahoo to DRL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goulet17
The likelihood of Burke playing 2-3 more seasons when he turns 37 in January is between slim and none IMO.

Besides, the Avs aren't going to have any use for him past this season, they wouldn't exercise the team option on him.

After this season, the Avs are going to go the youth route, likely giving the goaltending reigns to Sauve full time.

So as far as giving up alot in terms of a trade package, you could forget about it, because the Avs aren't going to give up an Alex Tanguay to have Sean Burke for 4 months. That is the height of stupidity.

If Barnett wants tThe fact is that if the Avs don't deal for Burke, I'm not sure what team will, if any. So let Barnett attempt to drive a hard bargain, because the likely result in my mind is the loss of Burke with nothing in return in the off season, and Barnett will be one step closer to the exit door in Phoenix for poor asset management.
there is no chance in hell that sauve is the starter in his second year, this whole avs going with youth thing is balony, the avs are going or the cup until guys like blake, sakic, foote etc. retire, get use to it, they aren't going anywhere. i predict sauve will end up like denis and abby before, developing somewhere else, while lacroix acquires a stud #1.

as for burke, he only has a year or two left and i for one don;t wantto give anything like a ballard for him, in my opinion its kolzig or biron, someone who will solidfy the avs goaltending for the next 5 years at least. then and only then do the avs give up a stud prospect like ballard etc.

i think burke is a great goalie and the avs could win the cup with him in net, however i don't want the avs to go through this again when burke retires within the next 2 years, i hope lacroix stays away from him unles the avs get him cheap or as a last minute option.

BTW CUJO looked like **** last nite and i am 100% sure detriot is stuck with him and will have to trade hasek or watch their team crumble to in danger of missing the playoffs, 1 thing is for sure this is st. louis return to the top of their division and posibly a rude awakening for wings fans!

DRL is offline  
Old
11-08-2003, 09:25 PM
  #23
st_roland
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: BUSH CONTRY-Frederick, MD
Posts: 1,469
vCash: 500
What about Skoula for Burke=P At this point, i'd rather give up skoula than Ballard

st_roland is offline  
Old
11-08-2003, 09:59 PM
  #24
donpaulo
Capt Barry Beck
 
donpaulo's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: nihon
Country: Japan
Posts: 1,579
vCash: 500
well on the face of it, its a pretty terrible lowball offer.
as to why PHX wants to help the avs by sending them their best netminder for a prospect and a lousy 3rd round pick ?

Perhaps if avs send
Sauve, Ballard and a 1st round pick then perhaps... but even then I doubt it

donpaulo is offline  
Old
11-08-2003, 10:01 PM
  #25
Enoch
This is my boomstick
 
Enoch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Chattanooga TN
Country: United States
Posts: 12,341
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by donpaulo
well on the face of it, its a pretty terrible lowball offer.
as to why PHX wants to help the avs by sending them their best netminder for a prospect and a lousy 3rd round pick ?

Perhaps if avs send
Sauve, Ballard and a 1st round pick then perhaps... but even then I doubt it


No comment.


Enoch is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:58 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.