HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

Craig Janney

Old
07-06-2006, 09:20 PM
markymarc15

vCash: 500
Craig Janney

Hi all. Just curious what everyone's general opinion is on Craig Janney. I started following hockey in the late 80s and always thought that Janney was one of the best playmakers I've ever seen. I know he was soft as butter and hardly a goal scorer, but I feel he takes a lot of heat for a guy who averaged a point-per-game over 750 NHL games. I've heard some stories that he was a problem in the locker room?

Any insight would help on Janney. Thanks.

markymarc15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2006, 10:20 PM
kingdok

I think that Craig Janney picked up what Adam Oates left in St-Louis. He was a really great playmaker and could maintain the production of Brett Hull pretty well for few years (he reached the 100pts in 92-93).

He was also good with Boston bur Oates prooved that he could do better for both teams.

I liked him anyway

kingdok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2006, 11:01 PM
acr*

Softer than Oates, and a little less talented, but a similar type player. The center who didn't score a lot of goals, but made the wingers around him better.

acr* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2006, 11:13 PM
RSBPC

I'm 22 years old now, my earliest Bruin memories are from when I was around six years old watching Neely, Bourque, Moog, and Janney. Of course Craig probably doesn't belong in the same sentence as Cam and Ray, but he was my first favorite player.

RSBPC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2006, 11:33 PM
BAuldie

Send a message via ICQ to BAuldie Send a message via MSN to BAuldie
Janney's a *****.. was rewarded to Vancouver as compensation for Petr Nedved but refused to come and sat at home until the arbitrator awarded someone else.

BAuldie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2006, 12:57 AM
God Bless Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by acr View Post
Softer than Oates, and a little less talented, but a similar type player. The center who didn't score a lot of goals, but made the wingers around him better.
A similar player? Not a chance. Oates was not only one of the top playmakers of the top 25 years, but he was a solid defensive player, a strong penalty killer and one of the best in the league in the faceoff circle.

Janney had Nerf ball-like properties. He was an elite, world-class playmaker. His playmaking and stickhandling abilities were among the best we've seen in the last 25 years. But he was incredibly soft. Pierre Turgeon looks like Mark Messier compared to Janney.

Janney's attitude sucked. He was a problem in the locker room. With all his offensive giftings, he struggled to last in a market for an extended period of time after he left Boston. It's not a reflection of a player who was sought-after by teams. It's reflective of a player whose team wanted him out.

God Bless Canada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2006, 01:33 AM
Sens Rule

Quote:
Originally Posted by God Bless Canada View Post
A similar player? Not a chance. Oates was not only one of the top playmakers of the top 25 years, but he was a solid defensive player, a strong penalty killer and one of the best in the league in the faceoff circle.

Janney had Nerf ball-like properties. He was an elite, world-class playmaker. His playmaking and stickhandling abilities were among the best we've seen in the last 25 years. But he was incredibly soft. Pierre Turgeon looks like Mark Messier compared to Janney.

Janney's attitude sucked. He was a problem in the locker room. With all his offensive giftings, he struggled to last in a market for an extended period of time after he left Boston. It's not a reflection of a player who was sought-after by teams. It's reflective of a player whose team wanted him out.
Plus he had Can Neely and Brett Hull to feed the Puck to. When Oates was with Hull, then Hull was a 70+ goal scorer. After Janney was there he got 55 or so. Neely was a 50+ guy with Janney. But with Oates after Neely's body was shot and he had missed most of 2 seasons Neely got 50 in 50 games. And then in parts of his last 2 seasons he scored at the same clip as he had with Janney. But Neely was a severely injured player by then.

Janney was a good playmaker for sure but if he hadn't had Neely and Hull in their primes on his wing he might never have got over a point per game in any season he played. He was a 15-20 goal score that would get 65-75 points if not for having 2 of the best goal scorers on his wing.

Sens Rule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2006, 01:49 AM
God Bless Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by cup2006sensrule View Post
Plus he had Can Neely and Brett Hull to feed the Puck to. When Oates was with Hull, then Hull was a 70+ goal scorer. After Janney was there he got 55 or so. Neely was a 50+ guy with Janney. But with Oates after Neely's body was shot and he had missed most of 2 seasons Neely got 50 in 50 games. And then in parts of his last 2 seasons he scored at the same clip as he had with Janney. But Neely was a severely injured player by then.

Janney was a good playmaker for sure but if he hadn't had Neely and Hull in their primes on his wing he might never have got over a point per game in any season he played. He was a 15-20 goal score that would get 65-75 points if not for having 2 of the best goal scorers on his wing.
I disagree. Janney may have been ultra-soft, but he was a gifted playmaker. He actually didn't play a lot with Hull in St. Louis, except on the power play. Hull and Janney never clicked like Hull and Oates. But Janney did forge great chemistry with Brendan Shanahan.

And Janney did put up points even as he bounced around the league. He had 82 points in 1995-96 (split between SJ and Winnipeg) and had a prolific stretch for about half of the following season. He's the type who could make a 20-25 goal scorer into a 40-plus goal scorer. He was that good with the puck. It's just that he could be negated by physical play and tight checking, and he wasn't a positive influence in the locker room.

God Bless Canada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2006, 01:56 AM
MS

Quote:

He was better than you give him credit for.

Was still a PPG player in 1991-92 with Boston in a season where Neely played 9 games. And he scored 82 points in 1995-96 in a season split between San Jose and Winnipeg. He really was one of the top 5 most skilled playmakers in the world in the early 1990s.

Interestingly, however soft he may have been, he was still over a PPG player in the playoffs until some poor showing in Phoenix right at the end of his career.

He's a player who you wonder if conditioning killed his career. By his last couple seasons (when he was still quite young - 31 when he played his last game) he was looking really sluggish. Seeing him in the '88 and '90 finals when those games were shown on CBC recently was an eye-opener ... much lighter and quicker, and so much more dynamic with the puck.

His marital woes involving his ex-friend Brendan Shanahan in St. Louis, as well as being a whipping boy for Keenan briefly with the Blues may have also knocked a lot of steam out of his career.

MS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2006, 02:10 AM
Sens Rule

Quote:
Originally Posted by MS View Post
He was better than you give him credit for.

Was still a PPG player in 1991-92 with Boston in a season where Neely played 9 games. And he scored 82 points in 1995-96 in a season split between San Jose and Winnipeg. He really was one of the top 5 most skilled playmakers in the world in the early 1990s.

Interestingly, however soft he may have been, he was still over a PPG player in the playoffs until some poor showing in Phoenix right at the end of his career.

He's a player who you wonder if conditioning killed his career. By his last couple seasons (when he was still quite young - 31 when he played his last game) he was looking really sluggish. Seeing him in the '88 and '90 finals when those games were shown on CBC recently was an eye-opener ... much lighter and quicker, and so much more dynamic with the puck.

His marital woes involving his ex-friend Brendan Shanahan in St. Louis, as well as being a whipping boy for Keenan briefly with the Blues may have also knocked a lot of steam out of his career.
Wow martial woes with your linemate the culprit. That has to suck big time.

Perhaps I underated Janney. The thing was I was thinking more in comparison to Oates. Oates was a far better player and playmaker than Janney. Instead of being negative about Janney I should have been positive about Oates. Oates was amazing. He was so huge with Hull and Neely.

But I guess Janney was the same with Shanny. Shanny's best offensive years appear to be with The Blues when Janney was there. And he had his only 50 goal seasons 2 of those seasons. I had though that Janney played mostly with Hull.

Do you guys think that if Oates wasn't traded to Boston Brett Hull would have had a couple of more 60+ goal seasons in St. Louis and slowed to a 50 goal pace instead of the low 40's? How important to Hull was Oates in his 3 huge seasons?

Old
07-07-2006, 02:23 AM
Blades of Glory
Troll Captain

Quote:
Wow martial woes with your linemate the culprit. That has to suck big time.

Perhaps I underated Janney. The thing was I was thinking more in comparison to Oates. Oates was a far better player and playmaker than Janney. Instead of being negative about Janney I should have been positive about Oates. Oates was amazing. He was so huge with Hull and Neely.

But I guess Janney was the same with Shanny. Shanny's best offensive years appear to be with The Blues when Janney was there. And he had his only 50 goal seasons 2 of those seasons. I had though that Janney played mostly with Hull.

Do you guys think that if Oates wasn't traded to Boston Brett Hull would have had a couple of more 60+ goal seasons in St. Louis and slowed to a 50 goal pace instead of the low 40's? How important to Hull was Oates in his 3 huge seasons?

You didn't know about the Shanahan/Janney conflict? They were quite a pairing, it's kind of sad that it ended that way.

Craig Janney 1992-93 St. Louis Blues NHL 84GP 24G 82A 106P
Brendan Shanahan 1992-93 St. Louis Blues NHL 71GP 51G 43A 94P

Blades of Glory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2006, 07:35 PM
Jagr314

Wow, this thread did bring back memories! I live in St. Louis so I grew up watching the Blues, I actually liked Craig Janney, I thought that he was a pretty good playmaker. I hated to see him and Shanny go.

Jagr314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2006, 08:22 PM
reckoning

Almost every team has a situation in their past involving marital problems caused by a teammate. With all the women these guys could have, why pick a teammate`s wife?

Re Janney: He`d be tailor-made for the no-checking-allowed new NHL. Great playmaker, but one of the softest players the NHL has ever seen.

reckoning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2006, 08:01 PM
kdb209
Global Moderator

I think it says a lot about a players career when over the course of 7 years, you go from being traded for Adam Oates to being traded for a 6th round pick.

1992: traded for Adam Oates
1994: traded for Brown, Bret Hedican and Nathan LaFayette
1995: traded for Jeff Norton
1996: traded for Darren (Q-Tip) Turcotte and a 2nd round pick
1998: traded for Louie Debrusk and a 5th round pick
1999: traded for a 6th round pick

Talk about a player's value in free fall.

And just the fact that he was traded 6 times in 7 years says a lot, and I won't even go into the "locker room cancer" stories in San Jose.

http://www.legendsofhockey.net:8080/...p?player=10704
Quote:
Traded to St. Louis by Boston with Stephane Quintal for Adam Oates, February 7, 1992. Acquired by Vancouver from St. Louis with St. Louis' 2nd round choice (Dave Scathard) in 1994 Entry Draft as compensation for St. Louis' signing of free agent Petr Nedved, March 14, 1994. Traded to St. Louis by Vancouver for Jeff Brown, Bret Hedican and Nathan LaFayette, March 21, 1994. Traded to San Jose by St. Louis with cash for Jeff Norton and future considerations, March 6, 1995. Traded to Winnipeg by San Jose for Darren Turcotte and Dallas' 2nd round choice (previously acquired, later traded to Chicago - Chicago selected Remi Royer) in 1996 Entry Draft, March 18, 1996. Transferred to Phoenix after Winnipeg franchise relocated, July 1, 1996. Traded to Tampa Bay by Phoenix for Louie Debrusk and Tampa Bay's 5th round choice (Jay Leach) in 1998 Entry Draft, June 11, 1998. Traded to NY Islanders by Tampa Bay for Toronto's 6th round choice (previously acquired, Tampa Bay selected Fedor Fedorov) in 1999 Entry Draft, January 18, 1999.

kdb209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2006, 08:11 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 579
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdb209 View Post
I think it says a lot about a players career when over the course of 7 years, you go from being traded for Adam Oates to being traded for a 6th round pick.

1992: traded for Adam Oates
1994: traded for Brown, Bret Hedican and Nathan LaFayette
1995: traded for Jeff Norton
1996: traded for Darren (Q-Tip) Turcotte and a 2nd round pick
1998: traded for Louie Debrusk and a 5th round pick
1999: traded for a 6th round pick

Talk about a player's value in free fall.
I think that shows that teams thought they were getting more than they actually got. All of those teams except for the Adam Oates trade, seem like they were trying to get rid of him.

Wasn't he kicked off the Islanders? Like didn't they just tell him to go away?

My 50 Favorite Albums of 2015

"I wonder if Norstrom has Forsberg's spleen mounted on his wall." - KINGS17
GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2006, 08:35 PM
rekrul

from his days with the sharks were breif moments of greatness and much more aloof lockroom cancer times, the term floater could have his mug in the hockey dictionary.

I do remember the 1995 calgary-sj series. Sharks down 3 games to 2 needing a game 6 win to get it to game 7. Dude just took over the game, 1995 flames were no slouches either, I was there kept checking the jersey to see just who was dominating the game. Sharks won and got the game 7 winner in double OT.

After that is was the same ole Janney needed to be in the playoffs for motivation, an eleite talent traded for Darren Turcotte(!)

rekrul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2006, 10:16 PM
Sens Rule

Why did Detroit trade Oates? Why did St. Louis trade Oates? I remember that both had particular reasons but I have forgotten why.

Old
07-08-2006, 10:51 PM
ThEd85

Quote:
Why did Detroit trade Oates? Why did St. Louis trade Oates? I remember that both had particular reasons but I have forgotten why.
I dunno about Detroit, but in St.Louis he wanted more money.

ThEd85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2006, 02:30 PM
Big Phil

Quote:
Oates was traded to St. Louis for Bernie Federko. A pretty bad trade the Red Wings made at the time I think. Can you imagine if they kept Oates and had Yzerman and Fedorov with him? Wow!

Anyways about that Janney/Shanahan thing with Janney's wife to be honest I never have heard of it before. I'm guessing this is just a rumour and if it is let it go but if it isnt I'd say prove it. Its not fair to gossip about a guy in a situation like that if it isnt true

Big Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2006, 02:52 PM
MS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Phil View Post
Anyways about that Janney/Shanahan thing with Janney's wife to be honest I never have heard of it before. I'm guessing this is just a rumour and if it is let it go but if it isnt I'd say prove it. Its not fair to gossip about a guy in a situation like that if it isnt true
It's pretty common knowledge that Catherine Shanahan used to be Catherine Janney.

Google it and you'll come up with all kinds of references. Here's just one:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Craig_Janney

MS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2006, 04:42 PM
jiggs 10

Quote:
Oates was traded to St. Louis for Bernie Federko. A pretty bad trade the Red Wings made at the time I think. Can you imagine if they kept Oates and had Yzerman and Fedorov with him? Wow!

Oates WAS with Yzerman for 4 seasons in Detroit, and was a decent 2nd line center. When he went to St. Louis, he got to be 1st line, so naturally his point totals went up. But I agree, Oates for a fading Federko was a BAD trade for my Wings, even though at the time no one knew Oates would turn out as good as he did.

Wow, I didn't know Shanny stole Janney's wife! That's like the Nolan/Hasek thing in Buffalo, or Brind A'mour/Lindros in Philly! That really sucks!

jiggs 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2006, 05:12 PM
Sens Rule

Quote:

WAs Oates one of those guys out for a beer the night before a playoff game for Detroit with Veitch and Klima? I remember the trade from Detroit happening but I can't remember why they did it. The Wings wanted to dump Oates for some reason.... Maybe he wanted more money?

Old
07-13-2006, 05:38 PM
discostu

I imagine that you could probably equate Craig Janney to Marc Savard. Both are talented, but soft playmakers, who seemed to find chemistry with star wingers. I always thought that Craig Janney really lucked out, when he had an extended stretch playing with two of the best goal-scoring wingers of his era.

discostu is online now   Reply With Quote