Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Calgary Flames
Notices

Lundmark and Simon question

Old
07-06-2006, 09:29 PM
markymarc15

vCash: 500
Lundmark and Simon question

Hi all. I watched Simon play on a nightly basis during his tenure with the Rangers. He was one of the very few players to show up every night, a fan favorite, and even had somewhat of a scoring touch that would peak out on occasion. Lundmark, however, never caught on and just seemed to be knocked off the puck way too easily Just curious how Flames fans viewed the play of both Simon and Lundmark. Thanks.

PS....Former prospects Blair Betts and Greg Moore have played well. Betts was a very solid 4th line center who has a great shot (yet inaccurate), and Moore went from obscurity to being a possible NHL regular as early as next year.

markymarc15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2006, 09:38 PM
Danny__K

vCash: 50
The first year Simon was brought in in Calgary he played very well got some PP time and even some time playing with Iginla.

However, the season off during the lockout really hurt his game, he didn't really start to show his former self until the last 10 games or so and by then it was too late to save him with the flames.

As for Lundmark i really didn't see enough of him to pass judgement,

Danny__K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2006, 09:55 PM
Lunatik*

Quote:
Originally Posted by markymarc15 View Post
Hi all. I watched Simon play on a nightly basis during his tenure with the Rangers. He was one of the very few players to show up every night, a fan favorite, and even had somewhat of a scoring touch that would peak out on occasion. Lundmark, however, never caught on and just seemed to be knocked off the puck way too easily Just curious how Flames fans viewed the play of both Simon and Lundmark. Thanks.

PS....Former prospects Blair Betts and Greg Moore have played well. Betts was a very solid 4th line center who has a great shot (yet inaccurate), and Moore went from obscurity to being a possible NHL regular as early as next year.
the crackdown on clutching and grabbing hasnt helped simon at all... he provided a ton of energy but at the salary he was making it wasnt worth picking up the option on his contract... Lundmark has looked great in a flames uniform... he threw the body around as soon as he threw on teh flaming C... he put up points right away too and fits in well with his blazing speed... he also showed immediate chemistry with Chuck Kobasew and Tony Amonte... adn he doesnt seem to be knocked off the puck as easily as everyone said before we aquired him... but then again rangers fans never got a chance to see what Lundmark was capable of as they only suited him up for 3 games post CBA... and he only played 3rd line minutes in 03-04... i think he beefed up in the year off as well... he put up a ton of penalty minutes (146) with the Wolf Pack

Lunatik* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2006, 09:58 PM
natural420*

if i was to choose to keep one it would be lundmark hands down. he scored and got some points in the last month or so of the season, but really didnt get much playing time in the playoffs, but thats to be expected. simon was invisible all year, didnt fight, didnt hit, didnt score. didnt really do much at all. i didnt like him before he came here, but he grew on me his first year with us a bit, but after last season i will actually be happy to see him go. we really have no use for him anymore as long as mcCarty sticks around.

natural420* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2006, 10:30 PM
abracanada

Simon got pounded by George Laracque. That was probably the beginning of the end for him. And he doesn't have the wheels it takes to compete in this division the way it is called nowadays. He skated fairly well though when on a line with speedy mates. I agree with Danny_K - Simon made a big mistake taking the year off. If he isn't at peak conditioning, he doesn't belong.

Lundmark was really surprising, especially in the faceoff circle. He had the speed of course, but he also showed some understanding of how to get in the scoring lanes. Scores close in, not something I expected. He had a very good showing. Seems to be committed. Will be interesting to see how things turn out on a deeper Flames squad.

abracanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2006, 11:28 PM
BDubinskyNYR17*

Send a message via AIM to BDubinskyNYR17*
Quote:
Originally Posted by abracanada View Post
Simon got pounded by George Laracque. That was probably the beginning of the end for him. And he doesn't have the wheels it takes to compete in this division the way it is called nowadays. He skated fairly well though when on a line with speedy mates. I agree with Danny_K - Simon made a big mistake taking the year off. If he isn't at peak conditioning, he doesn't belong.

Lundmark was really surprising, especially in the faceoff circle. He had the speed of course, but he also showed some understanding of how to get in the scoring lanes. Scores close in, not something I expected. He had a very good showing. Seems to be committed. Will be interesting to see how things turn out on a deeper Flames squad.
I wish Sather dealt Hossa and FedFed instead of Lundmark and Nemo

BDubinskyNYR17* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2006, 09:24 PM
Kritty

Quote:
Originally Posted by abracanada View Post

I'm hoping the Tanguay experiment at centre doesn't last long. Lundmark showed he can produce in a top 6 role and should be given every chance to. This is really his first real shot at that kind of role. I prefer to see Tanguay on the wing and Lundmark used at centre. He showed enough to warrant a longer look.

Kritty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2006, 10:54 PM
Dallas Flames Fan

can someone explain why Sutter benched Lundmark a few times during the playoff if he was so good?

it's not like the flames were full of offensive weapons....

Dallas Flames Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2006, 12:45 AM
natural420*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas Flames Fan View Post
can someone explain why Sutter benched Lundmark a few times during the playoff if he was so good?

it's not like the flames were full of offensive weapons....
just lack of experiance. didnt want any mistakes. phaneuf is a good example, made alot of mistakes and didnt play good enough to make up for them, sutter just couldnt take phaneuf out of the lineup for many reasons. i dont think it was an easy decision for him to take out lundmark though, just trying to play it safe

natural420* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2006, 12:49 AM
kruezer

Quote:
Originally Posted by natural420 View Post
just lack of experiance. didnt want any mistakes. phaneuf is a good example, made alot of mistakes and didnt play good enough to make up for them, sutter just couldnt take phaneuf out of the lineup for many reasons. i dont think it was an easy decision for him to take out lundmark though, just trying to play it safe
Good point, Lundmark was more of a PP guy at the end of the year as well, we definetaly could have used his PP prowess their, but he is/was a liability at even strength.

kruezer is offline   Reply With Quote