HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Ribiero contract- Wake up Canadiens!!!!!!

Old
07-07-2006, 08:13 AM
Oshawa General

vCash: 500
Ribiero contract- Wake up Canadiens!!!!!!

The moves and lack of moves this management team has been making lately, leaves one to wonder, who is making these decisions. The Canadiens already have deadwood with Bonk's $ 2.394M contract, now they overpay for Boullion and the contract for Ribiero is just mind boggling. Now Boullion does come out and play hard every nite, but at $1.9 M, he is at best a 5th defenceman, but the cherry on the sundae is Ribiero at $1.9, when he only had to be qualified around $1.2.
When you start overpaying guys $500,000/700,000 in the cap world, you have 3 or 4 overpayments that adds up to $2.5/3.0 in cap space used, I don't get it.
It looks like the Canadiens will be going into the season, without an upgrade in the centre ice position, and it is hard to believe management cannot be proactive enought to solidify the center ice position, yes the young guns will improve, but a team needs strength down the middle, wingers without a decent center become very average.

Oshawa General is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2006, 08:17 AM
Tuggy

vCash: 50
It's a one year ****ing contract, it's not that big of a deal. I mean we could all run around like chickens with our heads cut screaming "OMFGWTFBBQ TEH H4B$ R IN CAP H3LL!!11!", but that's simply not the case. 1.9 for Ribeiro isn't that bad and it certainly doesn't cripple the team.

Tuggy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2006, 08:21 AM
GoHabsGO252006

I think it's a horrible contract and I was looking for not having Ribeiro on the team alone let alone sigining him to an inflated contract. Granted it's only 1 year, but this signing will make Ryder as for more no question about that.

Was this a mistake? YES can it be overcome? Yes because it's a 1 year deal.
Do I want Ribeiro to get traded? PLEASE

GoHabsGO252006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2006, 08:21 AM
gusfring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oshawa General View Post
The moves and lack of moves this management team has been making lately, leaves one to wonder, who is making these decisions. The Canadiens already have deadwood with Bonk's $ 2.394M contract, now they overpay for Boullion and the contract for Ribiero is just mind boggling. Now Boullion does come out and play hard every nite, but at $1.9 M, he is at best a 5th defenceman, but the cherry on the sundae is Ribiero at $1.9, when he only had to be qualified around $1.2.
When you start overpaying guys $500,000/700,000 in the cap world, you have 3 or 4 overpayments that adds up to $2.5/3.0 in cap space used, I don't get it.
It looks like the Canadiens will be going into the season, without an upgrade in the centre ice position, and it is hard to believe management cannot be proactive enought to solidify the center ice position, yes the young guns will improve, but a team needs strength down the middle, wingers without a decent center become very average.
Agree 100%. It's laughable. All we've been hearing is that the UFA's are too expensive and then we sign this "no heart" turd to 1.9? C'mon.

gusfring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2006, 08:24 AM
The n00b King *

the Ribiero curse...

The n00b King * is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2006, 08:27 AM
Tuggy

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by nittany View Post
Agree 100%. It's laughable. All we've been hearing is that the UFA's are too expensive and then we sign this "no heart" turd to 1.9? C'mon.
Gainey offered Elias a 7M/year contract but NJ decided to sign him for 7 years. How can you blame Gainey for that?

Tuggy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2006, 08:27 AM
the_crippler12

ribiero is not that bad..come on...

the_crippler12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2006, 08:28 AM
Oshawa General

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuggy View Post
It's a one year ****ing contract, it's not that big of a deal. I mean we could all run around like chickens with our heads cut screaming "OMFGWTFBBQ TEH H4B$ R IN CAP H3LL!!11!", but that's simply not the case. 1.9 for Ribeiro isn't that bad and it certainly doesn't cripple the team.
You are right, it won't cripple the team, but what is the message are you sending, underacheive we will give you a 70% raise, this will now affect the Ryder contract, and pretty well any contract up for re-newal.
The puzzling part for me, why give him an $800,000 raise, when he was not expecting it, CBA didn't call for it.
I think the money could have been better spent, just think if the Canadiens come up short for another player who may really add value to the team, and the Canadiens are up against the cap, contracts like this are poor business decisions

Old
07-07-2006, 08:28 AM
RC51

Quote:
Oh you MUST be right, I don't understand a few things also but then again I don't get any insider information to explain this. That being said, This is NOT September and I don't know what Gainey has in mind. I refuse to think the gainey is not looking to solve the 2nd center thing but so far I do see that Gainey won't fix the problem by signing a long dumb contract. Humm, well If Gainey is right and holds out until he can get someone realy good for the right price but DOES end up with a top center then all this is MOOT. One more thing, when exactly will the Habs NEED this new top center? starting in January 2007. sooner is better but later not a death blow to the Habs.

RC51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2006, 08:38 AM
BigTimer*

Quote:
You are right, it won't cripple the team, but what is the message are you sending, underacheive we will give you a 70% raise, this will now affect the Ryder contract, and pretty well any contract up for re-newal.
The puzzling part for me, why give him an $800,000 raise, when he was not expecting it, CBA didn't call for it.
I think the money could have been better spent, just think if the Canadiens come up short for another player who may really add value to the team, and the Canadiens are up against the cap, contracts like this are poor business decisions
Exactly. There was no reason for Ribeiro to be offered a penny more than the qualifying offer. I have no idea what was going through Gainey's mind. What in the world is the thought process? "Alright, so by offering 110% of last years salary which is around 1.3 million, I can keep Mike's rights for a long time putting him in a position that absolutely forces him to sign it for the sake of his career. But no, that wouldn't be any fun. Lets for no reason at all.... absolutely none, give this puke an extra half million +. Just for kicks". I've lost almost all respect for Gainey from this move alone. He literally threw away $500, 000 in cap space and of Gillett's money.

BigTimer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2006, 08:39 AM
Montrealer

The sky is falling! The sky is falling!

BTW, there was a huge thread about this. Don't start new threads for nothing.

Montrealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2006, 08:41 AM
digitalmonkey*

Great signing! Ribeiro will get around 50 points this season.

digitalmonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2006, 08:53 AM
tinyzombies

I don't understand the overpayment either, but I don't mind having Ribiero back, as long as we can get him a winger with size.....

tinyzombies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2006, 09:01 AM
AH

Do we really need another thread...

Why do you consider yourself so important that you needed to create a whole new thread on this?

AH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2006, 09:07 AM
Oshawa General

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTimer View Post
Exactly. There was no reason for Ribeiro to be offered a penny more than the qualifying offer. I have no idea what was going through Gainey's mind. What in the world is the thought process? "Alright, so by offering 110% of last years salary which is around 1.3 million, I can keep Mike's rights for a long time putting him in a position that absolutely forces him to sign it for the sake of his career. But no, that wouldn't be any fun. Lets for no reason at all.... absolutely none, give this puke an extra half million +. Just for kicks". I've lost almost all respect for Gainey from this move alone. He literally threw away $500, 000 in cap space and of Gillett's money.
I have supported Gainey in the past, but it looks like there is a pattern here, it's time to step up and take the team to the next level. They dump the Theodore contract, $ 5.5M cap space has been used just to re-sign players already on the team. Everyone on this board keeps waiting for the next big move, but it just never seems to happen,

Old
07-07-2006, 09:09 AM
Mo

1.9 M for Ribs is fair. Everyone is saying how he had such a bad year and such - but he still scored 51 points. I am more than willing to give him a chance to rebound and maybe get in the 70 point range, especially considering the 51 points came after that off year for everyone.

Mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2006, 09:12 AM
BigTimer*

Quote:
I have supported Gainey in the past, but it looks like there is a pattern here, it's time to step up and take the team to the next level. They dump the Theodore contract, $ 5.5M cap space has been used just to re-sign players already on the team. Everyone on this board keeps waiting for the next big move, but it just never seems to happen,
I was a big supporter of Gainey up until I started noticing that trend in contract negotiations. It's not my money so I don't really care in that respect but with the salary cap in place, showing no backbone in contract negotiations is a terrible plan of action. I had faith in the guy. Alot of it. Now its become pretty clear that he has no idea what he's doing.

BigTimer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2006, 09:14 AM
Munchausen
Full Time A-hole

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo View Post
1.9 M for Ribs is fair. Everyone is saying how he had such a bad year and such - but he still scored 51 points. I am more than willing to give him a chance to rebound and maybe get in the 70 point range, especially considering the 51 points came after that off year for everyone.
Look at how or when most of those points were acquired. Ribeiro is no clutch player and that is a problem when he's you're second line C, now at 1.9M to boot.

And I'm fine with giving him a chance, but shouldn't he prove he can actually do it before giving him the dough?

Unless Gainey thinks last year was an aberation for Ribs and that he has now seen the light, I just can't understand this signing.

Munchausen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2006, 09:17 AM
Fozz

I actually think it's a pretty low price to pay for the team's 4th best scorer (even though he didn't have a good season) and best scorer back in '04.

I expect Ribs to have a very good season this year.

Fozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2006, 09:18 AM
toshiro
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via Yahoo to toshiro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Munchausen View Post
Look at how or when most of those points were acquired. Ribeiro is no clutch player and that is a problem when he's you're second line C, now at 1.9M to boot.

And I'm fine with giving him a chance, but shouldn't he prove he can actually do it before giving him the dough?

Unless Gainey thinks last year was an aberation for Ribs and that he has now seen the light, I just can't understand this signing.
Is it possible that the Habs brass has confidence in him? Maybe Dagenais will be brought back?

toshiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2006, 09:40 AM
Mo

I will agree with most in saying in the first half of last year he was pretty bad. But in the last 30 or so games he started to play a lot better, and harder. I remember at one point in the year he was like -11, he ended up at -6. The year before his plus/minus was pretty good, it does not harm in giving a young guy a one year contract and daring him to improve and break through.

Everyone has to forget about that dive in the playoffs. What Kovalev did in that overtime was far worse than what Ribs did.

Anywho, I am jetting off on holidays Kelowna here I come.

Mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2006, 09:44 AM
Montrealer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTimer View Post
I was a big supporter of Gainey up until I started noticing that trend in contract negotiations. It's not my money so I don't really care in that respect but with the salary cap in place, showing no backbone in contract negotiations is a terrible plan of action. I had faith in the guy. Alot of it. Now its become pretty clear that he has no idea what he's doing.
Well, I guess Bob just won't be able to sleep at night knowing he's lost your faith.

All hail BigTimer, he is teh hockey genius.

Montrealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2006, 09:47 AM
NORiculous

Quote:
I don't know how much Ribs is worth but I sure know that you could not qualify him. You can't pay a guy 400k over the league minimum when he gets 50 pts on a bad year.

NORiculous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2006, 09:49 AM
gusfring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montrealer View Post
Well, I guess Bob just won't be able to sleep at night knowing he's lost your faith.

All hail BigTimer, he is teh hockey genius.
Yah, don't you know that your opinion isn't wanted here if you disagree with Bob Gainey?

gusfring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2006, 09:51 AM
Turbo

You always sign RFAs that get 50pts in a season. Period. You would be a complete retard to let a guy like that go for nothing, regardless of his flaws or whether or not you have room for him on the roster.

If there's no room, you trade them when you get a chance. Signed RFAs are easier to trade. A 1 year contract is no big deal. And worse come to worse, the team has a center should no better option come available before the season starts.

I'm not a big fan of Ribeiro but I don't see what's so hard about understanding this.

Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote