HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Hawks looking to deal

Old
07-07-2006, 09:34 PM
Trottier
Very Random

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissionHockey View Post
Arguing that Ruutu is better than Gomez would be like saying Niedermayer isn't an elite defenseman, it simply isn't true.
Not mention other players on that dubious list:

Speeza - while ultimately his skill level will quite possibly enable him to tap out higher than Gomez, at this point his game is not as nearly refined nor proven.

Malkin - yep, potential trumps NHL accomplishment. One need not skate a shift in the NHL to achieve superstardom ranking according to a few here. Hey I know a whiz kid 14 year old who I'd rank ahead of Malkin.

Last edited by Trottier: 07-07-2006 at 09:54 PM.
Trottier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2006, 09:37 PM
devsfan8

Quote:
Originally Posted by TribalPhoenix View Post
Top 5 centres in hockey?

Forsberg
Sakic
Sundin
Spezza
Crosby
Bergeron
T. Ruutu
Malkin

IMO, all of these players are better than Gomez.

How in the world could you put Malkin who has never played a game on the NHL level above Gomez?? He will end up better then Gomez for sure. The Devils would never be able to swing a Gomez for Malkin deal. But in fairness that is a little ridiculous. Malkin is the top prospect in the world but so was Lindros at one point. You cannot make him a top 10 Center when he has never played a game.

Spezza had a monster season of 90 points. Spezza and Gomez are on the same level. But lets see if Spezza can have back to back big seasons.

Gomez is better the Ruutu. It is laughable to suggest otherwise.

You did not include the best Center in hockey on this list which is Joe Thornton.

Sakic is career wise better then Gomez and a better leader but Gomez has more value then him as well as Sundin since he is just coming into his prime and has already had big seasons. Gomez is not even 27.

Watch Gomez with the puck..he is brilliant.

On the Devils board I have been stating that Gomez is a very tradeable commodity for NJ as Lou is not always about the best player but is more about the best fit. He traded both Sykora and Arnott and will trade Gomez if he feels the need. Gomez will walk next season. that is my gut feeling.

devsfan8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2006, 09:49 PM
RC51

did not Lou Lamarello just say yesterday that if you want gomez, not only will you have to come prepaired but you will have to take on The Mogilny contract to boot

RC51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2006, 09:49 PM
Kritter471

Send a message via AIM to Kritter471
People on the Stars boards have been throwing around a proposal of:

Daley+Jokinen+Lessard for Bell+conditional pick (Conditions being if Bell signs a multi-year deal).

Jokinen is a wing on the Stars but a center on the Finnish national team and played all season on the Stars top line. Daley is a developing offensive defenseman while Lessard (or Tjarnqvist, take your pick) would fill a fourth line grinding role.

All are cheap. Daley is an RFA who was qualified at approx. $500,000 and not arbitration eligable. Tjarnqvist is signed to two years, about $472,500 per year. Jokinen has two years left on his entry level $700,000 per deal. Lessard is an RFA who was qualified at approx. $540,000.

If they want someone with more experience that Daley, Niinimaa would be available (please, god, let them take Niinimaa), but he's much more expensive at $2.47 for one year. Miettinen (on and off the Stars second line last season) could also be offered in place of Jokinen. He's cheaper but more of a physical forward than a sniper.

However, I don't know if that would be enough quality to entice the Hawks to give up Bell.

Kritter471 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2006, 10:27 PM
King Fish

The article says the Hawks are looking for a center. Why would they want to trade their best center simply to replace him? You need a center? The Flyers have a boat load.

To Chicago:Handzus,Potulny (or Downie),1rd Pick

To Philly:Ruttu

King Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2006, 10:45 PM
King Fish

OOPS! Sorry about that post. Now that my brain is uncramped, what would it for Philly to land Bell? We need a skilled winger!

Old
07-07-2006, 11:17 PM
Stuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by lennie View Post
I sometimes think T. Ruutu is the most overated player on this board.

Really what has done?? I take Gomez over Ruutu in a nanosecond

Without a doubt the worst comparison I've seen in a while.

Ruutu at this point is a bust.

Stuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2006, 11:27 PM
TheSandman

I've got a proposal that involves Curtis Brown......

Seriously though, what do Hawks fans realistically want from SJ for Bell?

You need forwards, yes? How about a deal that brings Nils Ekman to the Hawks? A cheap, decent winger who has put up consecutive 50+ point seasons.

TheSandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2006, 12:24 AM
Wally112pac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wirtzsucks View Post

Ruutu at this point is a bust.
Ruutu at this point is the teams best forward and it's not even close.

Why do you think the Hawks sucked so hard? He missed the whole year. I think they lost like 25 1 goal games.

Wally112pac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2006, 01:39 AM
Stuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally112pac View Post
Ruutu at this point is the teams best forward and it's not even close.

Why do you think the Hawks sucked so hard? He missed the whole year. I think they lost like 25 1 goal games.

He's barley played while he's been here and now he's more injury prone thatn ever.

IMO that is bust material. And the last interview he did recently still hinted he may not return to the NHL.

Old
07-08-2006, 01:58 AM
5_Hol3

injuries that hammered Ruutu career so far, how could u considered that as a bust. have u c him play when he is healthy?

5_Hol3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2006, 02:54 AM
DisgruntledHawkFan

Send a message via ICQ to DisgruntledHawkFan
At this point, Ruutu isn't even on the team. Calder is far and away our best forward right now. Until Ruutu is able to play his game effectively and stay healthy, that won't change.

DisgruntledHawkFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2006, 08:42 AM
Wally112pac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wirtzsucks View Post

IMO that is bust material. And the last interview he did recently still hinted he may not return to the NHL.
The team has him penciled into the line up.

I think they know a little bit more than we do. He's comin back.

Old
07-08-2006, 08:46 AM
Wally112pac

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisgruntledHawkFan View Post
At this point, Ruutu isn't even on the team. Calder is far and away our best forward right now.
Well if you want to get technical Calder isn't on the team either.

Ruutu's 2nd half of 03 was better than anything Calder has done since he joined the Hawks.

Hell the 2 goals Ruutu scored this year invloved more skill than any goal Calder scored.

Old
07-08-2006, 09:58 AM
who_me?

Quote:
The team has him penciled into the line up.

I think they know a little bit more than we do. He's comin back.
Only in your dreams. or on your EA Sports NHL 2K06.

who_me? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2006, 11:04 AM
Wondercarrot
Classless

Quote:
Speeza - while ultimately his skill level will quite possibly enable him to tap out higher than Gomez, at this point his game is not as nearly refined nor proven.
not nearly as refined or proven?
quite possibly tap out higher than Gomez?

he tapped out higher than Gomez in his 2nd full year in the league.
i guess Gomez's experience of never having had close to as good a year as Spezza just had somehow makes him more proven.
He's certainly proven that despite having been player in the league twice as long that he cant put up Spezza numbers.
in his second full year and 1st as the #1 center Spezza put up 90pts in 68 games.

Wondercarrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2006, 11:10 AM
Wally112pac

Quote:
Originally Posted by who_me? View Post
Only in your dreams. or on your EA Sports NHL 2K06.
Or from Dale Tallon.

Old
07-08-2006, 11:17 AM
xeric716x
Born To Expire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wondercarrot View Post
not nearly as refined or proven?
quite possibly tap out higher than Gomez?

he tapped out higher than Gomez in his 2nd full year in the league.
i guess Gomez's experience of never having had close to as good a year as Spezza just had somehow makes him more proven.
He's certainly proven that despite having been player in the league twice as long that he cant put up Spezza numbers.
in his second full year and 1st as the #1 center Spezza put up 90pts in 68 games.

look at the linemates Spezza had all season and there years and look at who Gomez had all season. nothing against Spezza he is a great player and will have a great career, but if Gomez had his linemates he would have broken a 100 points easily.

xeric716x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2006, 01:51 PM
DisgruntledHawkFan

Send a message via ICQ to DisgruntledHawkFan
Quote:
Well if you want to get technical Calder isn't on the team either.

Ruutu's 2nd half of 03 was better than anything Calder has done since he joined the Hawks.

Hell the 2 goals Ruutu scored this year invloved more skill than any goal Calder scored.
I don't care how they go in, just so long as they go in. If Ruutu can play healthy AND play his game, he's our best forward. He hasn't been able to do that for some time though. Calder should receive a decent long term deal.

DisgruntledHawkFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2006, 01:54 PM
Stuy

Bel isn't UFA next year like I thought he was.

On the subject of Bell, there seems to be a mis-conception going around that Bell is a UFA after this coming season.

He isn't.

As of the June 30th 2007 deadline for free agency eligibility, he will be 26 years old - He doesn't turn 27 until August 5th.

Not that that matters at all, because the age to be eligible for free agency next summer is 28 not 27. The age doesn't drop to 27 until summer 2008.

Quote:Unrestricted Free Agency - For the 2005-06 season, a player age 31 with four accrued seasons will be an unrestricted free agent; in 2006-07, a player age 29 with four accrued seasons or with eight accrued seasons; in 2007-08, a player age 28 with four accrued seasons or with seven accrued seasons; beginning in 2008-09 and for the duration of the agreement, a player age 27 with four accrued seasons or with seven accrued seasons will be an unrestricted free agent. For purposes of qualifying for unrestricted free agency, the 2004-05 cancelled season will be counted as a year of accrued service.

He doesn't have enough accrued seasons either - Next year will be his 6th (you need 7 for UFA). He was well short of the required 40 games in 2000/01.

As of now, I believe that Kyle Calder is the only UFA of note, next summer.

The Hawks have two more years of Bell if they want them. He hits UFA on July 1st 2008, as do Vandermeer, Vrbata, Cullimore and Lapointe

I just thought I'd post this as there seems to be conflicting reports on his status.

Old
07-08-2006, 02:07 PM
aragorn
YES WE CAN

To Chicago: Havlat, Vermette and Volchenkov
To Ottawa: Bell, Seabrooke & one of Bochenski, Bickell, Byfuglien or Bolland

aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2006, 02:08 PM
The Lehner
#LehnerTime

But won't Bell have 7 accrued seasons next year? My understanding is that the lockout year does count as a year.

That's why Havlat will be a UFA next summer, despite being born in 1981.

The Lehner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2006, 02:47 PM
Jaysfanatic*
BJ Elitist/Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by njranger21 View Post
Great. devsfan claimed Gomez was one of the top 5 centers in hockey. If he is, then you're trading him for Mark Bell!?!?!

Staal, Thornton, Marleau, Crosby, Richards, Forsberg...tell me which two Gomez is better than.
Marleau easily........while I don't think he's top 5 yet, he's definitely top 10.

Jaysfanatic* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2006, 03:08 PM
TheKingPin

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Fish View Post
The article says the Hawks are looking for a center. Why would they want to trade their best center simply to replace him? You need a center? The Flyers have a boat load.

To Chicago:Handzus,Potulny (or Downie),1rd Pick

To Philly:Ruttu
that is way over payment. im thinking that as far as bell goes how about potulny and picard for bell

TheKingPin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2006, 03:26 PM
King Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyersphan View Post
that is way over payment. im thinking that as far as bell goes how about potulny and picard for bell
I don't think those two would land Bell, they will want a top 6 forward plus a prospect. I also do not want to put Picard in a trade as he is our best D prospect. I'd rather give up Handzus than Picard. As you have noticed he is not my favorite Flyer.