HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Notices

Wiemer likely available...

Closed Thread

Old
11-11-2003, 02:15 AM
WhoIsJimBob
Suffering

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by lecherous
Parrish + Carins for Afinogenov + Campbell + 3rd rounder or similar prospect?

I think it'd work, and for a trade that fills alot of need for the Sabres, I honestly don't think Golisano will mind shelling out another $2m in payroll, which pro-rated over the rest of the season would be about $1.6m I think.
Golisano hasn't done anything that leads me to believe that he's willing to pour more money into player payroll this season. He's already upped the payroll over the $30 million he set as a budget at the beginning of the offseason.

Plus, they've been adding payroll every day that Boulton, Hecht, and Connolly have been out of the lineup.

I'd be shocked if the Sabres made a move that added anything more than a minimal amount of salary at this point ($500k or less).

Old
11-11-2003, 03:32 AM
lecherous

Send a message via AIM to lecherous
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bob
Golisano hasn't done anything that leads me to believe that he's willing to pour more money into player payroll this season. He's already upped the payroll over the $30 million he set as a budget at the beginning of the offseason.

Plus, they've been adding payroll every day that Boulton, Hecht, and Connolly have been out of the lineup.

I'd be shocked if the Sabres made a move that added anything more than a minimal amount of salary at this point ($500k or less).
I don't see any way they could add talent without taking on a considerable amount of salary back. I think we've got an opportunity to get Parrish and Carins for filler players...and we have a billionare as an owner. I know it's cliche to point out how deep his pockets are...but if they want to win a fan base back, they need a winning product, and Parrish and Carins would definitely help that.

Old
11-11-2003, 03:47 AM
WhoIsJimBob
Suffering

I wouldn't say it's all that tough to add talent without adding payroll.

The Sabres got better and cheaper in the Briere for Gratton deal. And they improved their draft positioning as well.

And while the opportunity is there to add talent by adding payroll, that opportunity has been their all offseason. And the Sabres have already added to the payroll in the Drury and Delmore moves.

I just think that they've added to the payroll as much as they wanted to for now. And that the next chance to make big moves will be closer to the trade deadline when the Sabres will be paying less of the difference in the salaries going either way.

Plus, Golisano didn't become a billionaire by throwing good money after bad. I think he'll have to be sold on attendance picking up more than it has so far this season before he'll commit to an even higher payroll for this club.

Old
11-11-2003, 04:09 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Thread change...

...can now be made to "is available"

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/artic...11_160722_2032

Old
11-12-2003, 02:08 AM
WhoIsJimBob
Suffering

It will be interesting to see if anyone bites or if the Isles might have to swallow some of his salary.......

Closed Thread