HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Brooks-Rangers offer Shanny 1 year deal/re-sign Rucinsky to 1 year deal

Closed Thread

Old
07-08-2006, 09:31 PM
Edge

vCash: 500
I'd like Shanny, but not as high on Rucinsky.

I think he's a decent player, but I think he's a product of who he played rather than what he brings.

Coupled with health, I'm just not a fan like some people are.

If they both sign, we can now also effectivly rule out a spot for Dawes as well.

Just seems like instead of having some open spots on this team for camp, we've got almost all of them filled by the second week of July.

Old
07-08-2006, 09:33 PM
Tawnos
A guy with a bass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge View Post
Just seems like instead of having some open spots on this team for camp, we've got almost all of them filled by the second week of July.
We said that last year too...

Old
07-08-2006, 09:39 PM
Edge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tawnos View Post
We said that last year too...
Yeah but I didn't agree with it last year,that wasn't my argument.

I also see a lot more spots being taken this year.

Last year you had prospects that were a bit younger and needed the experience. This year you actually have some kids who should be getting a legit shot: Immonen, Dawes, Staal, Dubinsky, Helminen, etc.

Last year it was a bit of stretch to think some would make it, but 3 of those guys are now coming off very successful AHL campaigns where they played the Rangers style and two are coming off very successful junior campaigns where they grew and matured by leaps and bounds.

Just can't compare this year's group of challangers to last years. Outside of Prucha and Lundy they were mostly older prospects who probably sever as transition types.

Old
07-08-2006, 09:42 PM
Tawnos
A guy with a bass

I agree. I just meant to say that even with many spots filled, you don't know what will happen in training camp.

Personally, after seeing what injuries did to this team last year... having too much depth isn't what I'd consider to be a bad thing.

But only sign these guys for a year anyway.

Old
07-08-2006, 09:53 PM
Edge

I like the fact that they are one year deals. To me that was very smart.

I just don't know where some of these kids go. I think Immonen and Helminen could probably stick as the 3rd and 4th centers.

Rucinsky to means there are no spots open on any of the LW sides if Shanhan signs.

That's Shanahan, Straka and Rucinsky right there so Dawes stands NO chance. The Rangers are not moving guys they literally just signed and Dawes has never played RW and wouldn't be a good fit for Ward's slot even if he did.

Defense to me still seems pretty medicre despite the money and number of contracts we have at the position.

I'm not opposed to signing vets, just so long as they are the right ones. I just personally don't think a 35 year old, who tends to get injuries, disappeared in the second act fits that.

Rucinsky's ppg totals that people like to point where the result of playing with Jagr, for half a decade before that he wasn't even close to a ppg player and he's not going to be if he's on the third line which he would be behind Shanny and Straka.

If the Rangers have injury issues and are concerned about depth, it seems counterproductive to bring in players with injury concerns. (which is my concern for a Havlat deal comes in)_.

Old
07-08-2006, 09:59 PM
Thirty One
portnor, pls

vCash: 420
Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue Bleed Blue View Post
Sykora has enough offensive talent to make up for it
which would explain his offensive production. by the way, was that better or worse than Rucinsky's?

Old
07-08-2006, 10:03 PM
Tawnos
A guy with a bass

Edge,

All fair points, definitely. I think part of my loyalty to Rucinsky stems from his loyalty to NY. The guy legitimately likes playing in NY.

That said, who is out there that doesn't have injury concerns? Mark Bell, sure. Havlat didn't have major concerns til last year, but I might be willing to take the risk with him. Then still, these guys are trade possibilities.

Of all the UFA wingers out there worth a damn in my eyes, only Dvorak and Shanahan have played 3/4 of each season for an extended period. You might have to compromise and hope for the best.

Old
07-08-2006, 10:04 PM
Edge

Quote:
Originally Posted by -31- View Post
which would explain his offensive production. by the way, was that better or worse than Rucinsky's?

Think it worked out be about the same,though Sykora was a bit healthier and 6 years younger than Rucinsky and played a position the Rangers had no one capable of (second line RW).

Personally I didn't mind Sykora and thought he did what I'd hoped, brought a little more offense to the second line.

For some reason I've just never been a Rucinsky fan but some people really him.

Old
07-08-2006, 10:13 PM
True Blue Bleed Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by -31- View Post

What, the offensive talent? Much Better. If your asking who I'd rather have, Sykora or Rucinsky, Sykora hands down. Truth is, I don't want neither back. Now go ahead and jump on me for that, but I don't.

Old
07-08-2006, 10:15 PM
Edge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tawnos View Post
Edge,

All fair points, definitely. I think part of my loyalty to Rucinsky stems from his loyalty to NY. The guy legitimately likes playing in NY.

That said, who is out there that doesn't have injury concerns? Mark Bell, sure. Havlat didn't have major concerns til last year, but I might be willing to take the risk with him. Then still, these guys are trade possibilities.

Of all the UFA wingers out there worth a damn in my eyes, only Dvorak and Shanahan have played 3/4 of each season for an extended period. You might have to compromise and hope for the best.
I can certainly understand that, i just think it might be too much on the left side.

A lot of guys don't have a ton of injury concerns for me, Shanny being another.

But Rucinsky has only played more than 70 games twice in the last 5 years and last year was the first time in a decade he was even close to a ppg player.

Havlat too concerns me, last year was certainly the worst but the guys for his career has only averaged 59 games.Outside his first two years where managed 72 and 73 games, he's played in the 60's or lower. That's concerning.

But to me it all comes down finding the right vets. I don't believe in settling and saying "Well this is all that's out there". To me that approach to a team is dangerous because your signing vets for the sake of signing them.

Old
07-08-2006, 10:19 PM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge View Post
If they both sign, we can now also effectivly rule out a spot for Dawes as well.
And that is one of the more disturbing things about this signing. Most of the so-called open spots are going to be closed. There are a number of youths who deserve a real chance. However, the "real" in real chance is diminishing. I get the feeling that Shanny would go back to Detroit, given that all his options seem to be one year deals. However, it is still disturbing that the need to compete (unless you are Betts or Moore perhaps) is eliminated.
That and the fact that the signing of both means that Prucha is probably not going to play on the top two lines. That may be the most damming part of all.

Old
07-08-2006, 10:31 PM
dedalus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodent View Post
1) Yes, he does. He played RW at times last season for Renney.
Yes and Jagr played some LW while in Pittsburgh. And Eric Lindros played some RW in Philly. And Rod Brind'Amour played some LW in Philly. That does not change the fact that Jagr is a RW, Lindros and Brind'Amour are centers.

Quote:
Petr is a product of Extraliga hockey. There is a lot of roaming that goes on. He (and Jan Marek) will spend a good portion of a given shift of the opposite side. I'd call it the "off-wing"... but that'd be true only in Marek's case. Prucha on LW is already a case of "off-wing".
Yes and Jagr also plays the off-wing; and Jagr also came through a system that is more East-West than North-South; and Jagr will also spend a good portion of any shift on the opposite side.

None of this makes him a LW or C.

Jagr is most comfortable and most effective operating from the right side. Prucha the reverse.

Quote:
The point is that given a hole at LW, Prucha is best slotted there.
Hole or no hole, Prucha is best slotted there.

Quote:
But if Larry Brooks is correct about Rucinsky and if Shanahan signs, then where are you going to slot Prucha when there is a dearth of RW on this club and Prucha is a RH shot?
You're making far too much of his handedness. The number of NHLers playing on their off-side is probably in the hundreds, and using your statements about players coming through the Extraliga, we might just as easily move Straka to the right side allowing Prucha to play 1st or 2nd line LW.

Quote:
It's better to have him RW on Line 2 rather than bury him at LW and force Hollweg to sit plus have backfill issues at RW (assuming Genoway isn't ready).
It's better to decide that Prucha is your 2nd line LW and sign UFAs accordingly. That's been my point in this whole thread.

Old
07-08-2006, 10:36 PM
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

Quote:
Originally Posted by eco's bones View Post
First of all I didn't bring up Bell originally--someone else did. I only speculated on what the Blackhawks might want back for him from us. Since you seem to think that Prucha and/or any of our other top prospects would be too much maybe you can tell us all what you think would be fair--and forget Thomas Pock or Dominic Moore--or any other borderline NHL'ers. The fact is though that Bell is something that we don't have. A legit 2nd line physical forward with size who is not very old. There's not that many of them around.
Ok I wasnt only speaking to you, you just happened to say that he would cost two top ten prospects.

And secondly, I dont care what the cost for Bell is or what I think he is really worth because I DONT WANT BELL. THE RANGERS DONT NEED BELL.

Old
07-09-2006, 05:47 AM
eco's bones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagr68NYR94Leetch View Post
Ok I wasnt only speaking to you, you just happened to say that he would cost two top ten prospects.

And secondly, I dont care what the cost for Bell is or what I think he is really worth because I DONT WANT BELL. THE RANGERS DONT NEED BELL.
Like it or not the Rangers do need someone like Bell. I'm not advocating trading Prucha necessarily. He might be my favorite player--it's him or Henrik. Bell has size and he can play mean. He's not exactly been playing for a powerhouse so I wouldn't get too swept away by his numbers. If he gets moved he will cost the team he is going to something that hurts. Looking at LW where he'd most likely fit in we have Prucha and prospects Dawes, G. Moore, Korpikoski for starters (there's another wave behind them Cliche, Dupont,Pyatt etc.)--2 of whom are legit contenders for a spot this year and all 3 maybe by next year--moving one of them with another excess prospect (say Immonen or Baranka) to fill an immediate need with a still relatively young player is not necessarily irrational.

Old
07-09-2006, 11:31 AM
VisionQuest*

Look's like Shanny's in. One year, 4mil. Great stuff.

Old
07-09-2006, 06:14 PM
Edge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagr68NYR94Leetch View Post

I'm interested in how you've come to that conclusion.

Closed Thread