HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

An open letter to Brendan Shanahan

Old
07-08-2006, 03:16 PM
TubbyTerrion*

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to TubbyTerrion*
An open letter to Brendan Shanahan

Dear Brendan,

Looking on various websites this morning I have read numerous reports that the list of suitors has shrunk to two: Detroit and "an unnamed team." Assumptions at this point are that team can only be either St. Louis or here in Los Angeles.

Let's be honest, Brendan. You've been a money player your entire career. You thrive on competition and success. In fact, a quick glance at your career stats indicates that you've been involved in post-season competition since 1996, when Hartford did you a huge favor and moved you to Detroit.

You've spent nine wonderful years in the Motor City, and the offer that Detroit made you has to be somewhere within the ballpark of the offer being made by this "unnamed team."

Now, let's look at St. Louis... yeah, you'd get your chance to play for new ownership and John Davidson, a definite plus. You'd be united with long time combatants like Dougie Weight and Billy Guerin. You'd be helping to revive a franchise that suffered through a horrific 05-06 season, but shows some signs of turning it around. If that's the unnamed team, well, I don't personally see why you'd leave your home of nine years, but it's not the biggest stretch on the planet.

Now, let's look at Los Angeles... the black hole. What exactly would you be saying in the press conference? Here are some suggestions:

"I am thrilled to be joining Dean Lombardi, Marc Crawford and the Los Angeles Kings. All my life I have looked to be surrounded by world class players like Scott Thornton, Brian Willsie and Alyn McCauley, and finally I have the chance."

"I think there's some talent here. I know Connie, Puppy, Brownie, Blakey, Timmy, Thornsy, Army, Frolie, Millsie, Willsie, Soapy, Kotsy and Jeff Friggin Cowan and "Shanny" should fit right in."

"I'm 37 years old and this is probably my last contract. I've enjoyed the playoffs immensely in my career, but at this stage, the chance to get the extra rest come April is refreshing and appealing. By the time I fulfill my contractual obligations here in LA, there may be some glimmer of hope, but for now, I am content to come here, do my job, accept this rebuilding phase of the team and eventually retire to some nice beachfront property here in Southern California."

... you get the idea, Brendan. You're a great player, and you'll probably have a more than adequate season if you come to St. Louis, if you come to LA, and/or if you stay in Detroit. Why on earth would you go to a team that is most probably NOT going to play after game 82? You don't have many "last shots" at the Stanley Cup, and granted, Ed Belfour and Chris Osgood may not be the goaltending tandem to carry you to the promised land, but St. Louis? Los Angeles? Makes NO SENSE.

Stay in Detroit. Give Los Angeles fans the chance to watch one more up and coming kid grow up in the NHL, and have a chance to contribute to a real winner a couple of years down the road. If you come to LA, you're doing a huge disservice to yourself, and you'll further delude the fans of the Los Angeles Kings that are already in a disoriented state trying to figure out what this team is trying to do this coming season.

Dean Lombardi spoke of the black hole. We assume he wanted to get out of it. Coming to Los Angeles only puts him smack dab in the middle of it. And, honestly, come the trading deadline, when he walks up to you and asks if you want to go to Columbus to be the "extra piece of their puzzle," you'll sigh and know that you made the wrong decision in July and that this would not have happened if you'd stayed put in Detroit.

Do the right thing Brendan... get it done!

Last edited by TubbyTerrion*: 07-08-2006 at 03:32 PM.
TubbyTerrion* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2006, 03:23 PM
tomd

Dear Tubby,

Dean Lombardi all but assured me that I was the final piece of the continuing legacy of mediocrity that is the "black hole". How can I refuse that challenge. Besides, I do like the idea of having the off season start in April...

Yours truly,

Shanny

tomd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2006, 03:26 PM
johnjm22

According to the NY Post the Kings are no longer in the Shanahan sweepstakes.

http://www.nypost.com/sports/rangers...rry_brooks.htm

johnjm22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2006, 03:26 PM
kingsfan25

...on the plus side, it's sunny.

kingsfan25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2006, 03:27 PM
kingsfan25

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnjm22 View Post
According to the NY Post the Kings are no longer in the Shanahan sweepstakes.

http://www.nypost.com/sports/rangers...rry_brooks.htm
According to various sources, there are various conflicting reports floating around right now.

And according to other sources, Larry Brooks is a hack.

Old
07-08-2006, 04:08 PM
PSP
Couldn't Be Happier!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TubbyTerrion View Post
"I think there's some talent here. I know Connie, Puppy, Brownie, Blakey, Timmy, Thornsy, Army, Frolie, Millsie, Willsie, Soapy, Kotsy and Jeff Friggin Cowan and "Shanny" should fit right in."
Wouldn't Brian Willsie be "Willsiey"?

PSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2006, 04:16 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

I wonder what Weight and Recchi were thinking when they were dealt to the "blackhole" that was the Carolina Hurricanes.

Their top scorer in 03-04 was Josef Vasicek with 45 points. Oh and their captain Brind'Amour only managed to score 38 points in 78 games.

They would give away Jeff O'Neill to Toronto for a draft pick, ship Kevin Weekes off to the Rangers and let Sean Hill loose.

Last summer, their biggest additions were Stillman, Whitney and Kaberle. They'd acquire Mike Commodore for a mid-round pick and also added Matt Cullen and Oleg Tverdovsky.
And here is the opening night roster for the Hurricanes to kick off the start of the 05-06 season;
Quote:
Carolina Hurricanes
Kevyn Adams, F; Jesse Boulerice, F; Rod Brind'Amour, F; Erik Cole, F; Mike Commodore, D; Matt Cullen, F; Martin Gerber, G; Bret Hedican, D; Andrew Hutchinson, D; Frantisek Kaberle, D; Niklas Nordgren, F; Eric Staal, F; Cory Stillman, F; Oleg Tverdovsky, D; Josef Vasicek, F; Radim Vrbata, F; Niclas Wallin, D; Aaron Ward, D; Cam Ward, G; Glen Wesley, D; Ray Whitney, F; Justin Williams, F; Michael Zigomanis, F.
The Hockey News gave that team a D+ grade and none of the hockey experts picked them to even make the playoffs. Need I say more?

Now I'm not going to compare the Kings roster to the Hurricanes... they don't have an Eric Staal or Brind'Amour, but they are putting the pieces together that will help bring the youth along. Alyn McCauley can be just as good or better than Matt Cullen. Dustin Brown and Michael Cammalleri are only going to get better. Frolov is capable of being more than just a 25+ goal scorer. Brendan Shanahan can be the Brind'Amour on the Kings roster.

We haven't even seen this newly formed Kings team take the ice for their first official practice...

Ziggy Stardust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2006, 04:31 PM
johnjm22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
I wonder what Weight and Recchi were thinking when they were dealt to the "blackhole" that was the Carolina Hurricanes.

Their top scorer in 03-04 was Josef Vasicek with 45 points. Oh and their captain Brind'Amour only managed to score 38 points in 78 games.

They would give away Jeff O'Neill to Toronto for a draft pick, ship Kevin Weekes off to the Rangers and let Sean Hill loose.

Last summer, their biggest additions were Stillman, Whitney and Kaberle. They'd acquire Mike Commodore for a mid-round pick and also added Matt Cullen and Oleg Tverdovsky.
And here is the opening night roster for the Hurricanes to kick off the start of the 05-06 season;

The Hockey News gave that team a D+ grade and none of the hockey experts picked them to even make the playoffs. Need I say more?

Now I'm not going to compare the Kings roster to the Hurricanes... they don't have an Eric Staal or Brind'Amour, but they are putting the pieces together that will help bring the youth along. Alyn McCauley can be just as good or better than Matt Cullen. Dustin Brown and Michael Cammalleri are only going to get better. Frolov is capable of being more than just a 25+ goal scorer. Brendan Shanahan can be the Brind'Amour on the Kings roster.

We haven't even seen this newly formed Kings team take the ice for their first official practice...

Old
07-08-2006, 04:43 PM
tomd

Quote:

I have grave doubts whether Carolina would have even made the playoffs if they had picked 13th in 2003 and drafted Dustin Brown instead of picking 2nd and drafting Eric Staal. THAT is the major difference between the Kings and Hurricanes. Call it luck or good fortune, but Carolina has their franchise player in the ilk of a Yzerman, Sakic, or Lemieux and the kings are still searching for theirs.

Old
07-08-2006, 04:50 PM
kingsfan25

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomd View Post
I have grave doubts whether Carolina would have even made the playoffs if they had picked 13th in 2003 and drafted Dustin Brown instead of picking 2nd and drafting Eric Staal. THAT is the major difference between the Kings and Hurricanes. Call it luck or good fortune, but Carolina has their franchise player in the ilk of a Yzerman, Sakic, or Lemieux and the kings are still searching for theirs.
O'Sullivan + Kopitar = Staal? Maybe?

Old
07-08-2006, 04:53 PM
johnjm22

Quote:
Could O'Sullivan be the one?

Eric Staal
Born Oct 29, 1984
Age 16 - 2000-01 Peterborough Petes OHL 63gms 19g 30a 49pts - 0.777PPG
Age 17 - 2001-02 Peterborough Petes OHL 56gms 23g 39a 62pts - 1.107PPG
Age 18 - 2002-03 Peterborough Petes OHL 66gms 39g 59a 98pts - 1.48PPG
Age 19 - 2003-04 Carolina Hurricanes NHL 81gms 11g 20a 31pts - 0.383PPG
Age 20 - 2004-05 Lowell Lock Monsters AHL 77gms 26g 51a 77pts - 1.000PPG
Age 21 - 2005-06 Carolina Hurricanes NHL 82gms 45g 55a 100pts - 1.220PPG

Patrick O'Sullivan
Born Feb 1, 1985
Age 16 - 2001-02 Mississauga Ice Dogs OHL 68gms 34g 58a 92pts - 1.353PPG
Age 17 - 2002-03 Mississauga Ice Dogs OHL 56gms 40g 41a 81pts - 1.446PPG
Age 18 - 2003-04 Mississauga Ice Dogs OHL 53gms 43g 39a 82pts - 1.547PPG
Age 19 - 2004-05 Mississauga Ice Dogs OHL 57gms 31g 59a 90pts - 1.579PPG
Age 20 - 2005-06 Houston Aeros AHL 78gms 47g 46a 93pts - 1.192PPG

Old
07-08-2006, 04:56 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 50
Dear Tubby,

My mailman's brother's girlfriend said Shanahan got an offer from a team for more money than the Kings, and an extra year. She'd be willing to bet that other team is Boston. Sorry to see you're running out of things to complain about.

Regards,
Someone without unabated pessimism

Stop Feeding the Rumor-Monger

"I wonder if Norstrom has Forsberg's spleen mounted on his wall." - KINGS17

My 50 Favorite Albums of 2014 (sorry it's late)
GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2006, 04:59 PM
tomd

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsfan25 View Post
O'Sullivan + Kopitar = Staal? Maybe?
I suppose we had better hope so because signing guys like Blake and Shanahan will guarantee that we'll never be in a position to draft a guy like Eric Staal or Ovechkin or Malkin or Crosby or...well, you get the point.

Old
07-08-2006, 05:36 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Quote:
I suppose we had better hope so because signing guys like Blake and Shanahan will guarantee that we'll never be in a position to draft a guy like Eric Staal or Ovechkin or Malkin or Crosby or...well, you get the point.
Well, they can always sign them or trade for them while they're in their prime years...

Quote:
Unrestricted Free Agency - For the 2005-06 season, a player age 31 with four accrued seasons will be an unrestricted free agent; in 2006-07, a player age 29 with four accrued seasons or with eight accrued seasons; in 2007-08, a player age 28 with four accrued seasons or with seven accrued seasons; beginning in 2008-09 and for the duration of the agreement, a player age 27 with four accrued seasons or with seven accrued seasons will be an unrestricted free agent.
Look at the best players on the Ducks, Scott Niedermayer and Teemu Selanne. They weren't drafted by the Ducks.

Calgary's top star has been Jarome Iginla who was a prospect when they traded for him.

Chris Pronger became an elite defenseman after he was traded to St. Louis. The Oilers obtained him for assets that they acquired through the draft.

Florida's top player is Olli Jokinen who was acquired in a trade where the main center piece of the deal was Roberto Luongo. They acquired two franchise players in one deal.

The best player in the league this past year, Joe Thornton, was dealt during the regular season for two players who were drafted in the 1st round by the Sharks and a grinder.

Toronto acquired their top center Mats Sundin in a trade for a broken down Wendel Clark.

Vancouver's two best players over the past couple of seasons, Markus Naslund and Todd Bertuzzi, were both given up on by the team they were originally drafted by. They were still struggling youngsters who were just about ready to turn the corner. Look what Vancouver turned Bertuzzi into; Roberto Luongo.

You have to be opportunistic when it comes to improving your team. Just look at some of the transactions I just listed as examples of teams jumping on an opportunity to acquire "hidden gems" who weren't elite players at the time they were acquired. They were given an opportunity to succeed and they did.

The Kings are sitting at a very good position with the talent they have. They have not committed to long term contracts that will haunt them for the next couple of seasons.

Last edited by Ziggy Stardust: 07-08-2006 at 05:50 PM.
Ziggy Stardust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2006, 05:36 PM
The Judge

Quote:

I agree. Plus, you still have O'Sullivan & Kopitar.

The Judge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2006, 06:22 PM
kingsfan25

Quote:
I don't think they'd be bad enough without Blake and Shanahan.

Old
07-09-2006, 06:22 PM
The Tikkanen
Pest

Send a message via AIM to The Tikkanen
I think when Lombardi mentioned the word black hole at the draft he was referring to the fact that nobody wants to play in LA. He wanted Chara and Luongo, he got Cloutier and Blake. I get the feeling this is a sink or swim year. The Kings will open the season with the team they have now, if they start to sputter the team will be gutted as they aim for a high draft pick. Then the true re-build begins.

The Tikkanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2006, 07:20 PM
multiball

Send a message via AIM to multiball
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikkanen View Post
I think when Lombardi mentioned the word black hole at the draft he was referring to the fact that nobody wants to play in LA. He wanted Chara and Luongo, he got Cloutier and Blake.
That wasn't what I thought at all.
In the context in which it was used the "black hole" is the spot where a team falls into the "fighting for the last playoff spot" territory every year. You're not BAD enough to throw in the towel and rebuild, but you're not GOOD enough to be just "one trade deadline deal away from challenging for the Cup". There comes a time when a GM must choose to go in one direction or the other - or forever be cursed to live in the "black hole".

Think what you want about Blake (and Lord knows I sure do), but he was arguably the 2nd best defenceman out there this free agent season - that ain't a bad thing to land him.

I've already said it once, but I'll put in in print again - we've upgraded the front office, our defence, and our goaltending. Yes, there is still some work to do at forward. I think ther'll be some progress on that front before opening day though.

multiball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2006, 08:12 PM
PSP
Couldn't Be Happier!

Quote:
Originally Posted by multiball View Post
That wasn't what I thought at all.
In the context in which it was used the "black hole" is the spot where a team falls into the "fighting for the last playoff spot" territory every year. You're not BAD enough to throw in the towel and rebuild, but you're not GOOD enough to be just "one trade deadline deal away from challenging for the Cup". There comes a time when a GM must choose to go in one direction or the other - or forever be cursed to live in the "black hole".
That is exactly my interpretation of the nebulous "black hole" as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by multiball View Post
Think what you want about Blake (and Lord knows I sure do), but he was arguably the 2nd best defenceman out there this free agent season - that ain't a bad thing to land him.

I've already said it once, but I'll put in in print again - we've upgraded the front office, our defence, and our goaltending. Yes, there is still some work to do at forward. I think ther'll be some progress on that front before opening day though.
So, explain to me again why, if the intention was to compete this season by going after virtually ALL of the big-name free agents, WHY did they feel the need to trade their most potent scoring forward?

Old
07-09-2006, 08:16 PM
kingsfan25

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSP View Post
So, explain to me again why, if the intention was to compete this season by going after virtually ALL of the big-name free agents, WHY did they feel the need to trade their most potent scoring forward?
I think the intention was to create a team environment that DL wanted with players of the right character/talent. If that equalled competing, great...if not, the Kings move a little higher up next draft day.

The right players from top to bottom.

Old
07-09-2006, 08:19 PM
PSP
Couldn't Be Happier!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsfan25 View Post
I think the intention was to create a team environment that DL wanted with players of the right character/talent. If that equalled competing, great...if not, the Kings move a little higher up next draft day.

The right players from top to bottom.
Concur, but if the intent was to compete NOW, wouldn't you want players who would contribute NOW, not maybe in a few seasons?

Old
07-09-2006, 08:32 PM
Osprey

Quote:
Concur, but if the intent was to compete NOW, wouldn't you want players who would contribute NOW, not maybe in a few seasons?
O'Sullivan will contribute now and in a few seasons.

Osprey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2006, 08:38 PM
PSP
Couldn't Be Happier!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osprey View Post
O'Sullivan will contribute now and in a few seasons.
I hope you're right. Demitra would still be considered closer to a "sure thing" right now though...

Old
07-09-2006, 08:43 PM
Osprey

Quote:
I hope you're right. Demitra would still be considered closer to a "sure thing" right now though...
Naturally... but he's really only good for 60pts, since he's injury-prone. I think that O'Sullivan is a "sure thing" for 30pts his rookie year, with a good shot at 40pts or more, so it's not that much worse.

Osprey is offline   Reply With Quote