HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Official: Brendan Shanahan a Ranger - 1 year @ ~$4Mil

Old
07-09-2006, 03:13 AM
JDNYR11

vCash: 500
Official: Brendan Shanahan a Ranger - 1 year @ ~$4Mil

I think the deal for shanahan is done. go to nypost.com
click the click to enlarge and you can see it says here's shanny.

JDNYR11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2006, 03:18 AM
JDNYR11

it says exclusive brendan to b'way

Old
07-09-2006, 03:35 AM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

interesting find. i guess we'll just have to wait till the morning for any sort of confirmation. nothing on NHLPA yet. if this is true, i say the rangers stand pat at forward. i enhanced the the headline in photoshop and i think it says "exclusive: brendan to b'way p.83"

straka-nylander-jagr
shannahan-immonen/cullen-prucha
cullen/dawes-betts-ward
hollweg-moore/helmenin-ortmeyer

orr on the pine. hossa too if he's resigned. =P player A/player B combos are for occasional callups until a trade opens something up.

malik-rachunek
ward-leetch/rosival/ozo/staal/pock/whoever
kasparitis-tyutin

lundqvist-weekes

n8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2006, 03:38 AM
JDNYR11

the post didnt update there news articles yet. only the front and back pages

Old
07-09-2006, 03:39 AM
MisterUnspoken
Vintage

Send a message via AIM to MisterUnspoken
Straka-Nylander-Jagr
Prucha-Cullen/Immonen-Shannhan
Rucinsky-Cullen/Immonen-Ward
Hollweg-Betts-Ortmeyer?

Could be.....

MisterUnspoken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2006, 03:47 AM
Balej20*

well Rangers got Shanahan...I guess they are gonna try to make a run at the cup while the kids still develop down on the farm, instead of letting them get a taste of the NHL this year.

Shanny will be the 1st or 2nd line LW...and finally a much needed right handed shot.

Last edited by Balej20*: 07-09-2006 at 04:36 AM.
Balej20* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2006, 03:50 AM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

shanahan is a left wing. prucha will probably play RW unless he's down on the 3rd line. how much better is he playing on the left?

shanahan-immonen-cullen?
prucha-betts-ward?

those lines would look weird.

n8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2006, 04:05 AM
Balej20*

The post so far is the only paper reporting it...

Old
07-09-2006, 04:08 AM
JDNYR11

what offer do you think the rangers threw at him.
detroit offerd 4m, do you think the rangers gave him 5m.
we all know it definetly a 1 yr deal,but with all the cap room we have I think this is a good move. the worst we should see is at least 25 goals out of shanny.

Old
07-09-2006, 04:16 AM
Balej20*

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDNYR11 View Post
what offer do you think the rangers threw at him.
detroit offerd 4m, do you think the rangers gave him 5m.
we all know it definetly a 1 yr deal,but with all the cap room we have I think this is a good move. the worst we should see is at least 25 goals out of shanny.
Rangers gave less than 5.

Rangers might as well just go and sign Sykora too now since they have abandoned the idea of bringing any new kids up this year.

Old
07-09-2006, 04:20 AM
JDNYR11

i still see dawes and immonen to make the big club this season.

Old
07-09-2006, 04:25 AM
Heaton
#hope

Send a message via AIM to Heaton
Quote:
Originally Posted by n8 View Post
shanahan is a left wing. prucha will probably play RW unless he's down on the 3rd line. how much better is he playing on the left?

shanahan-immonen-cullen?
prucha-betts-ward?

those lines would look weird.
Shanahan is better on the leftwing, but he played right wing this season when Draper was on his line. He was fine through the regular season doing it.

Heaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2006, 04:30 AM
Balej20*

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDNYR11 View Post
i still see dawes and immonen to make the big club this season.
I don't consider Immonen a new kid anymore, since he played last year...But the only way Dawes makes the team now is at the expense of another "kid." (Moore, Orts, Hollweg, Hossa, Ward, Betts)

Old
07-09-2006, 04:35 AM
Balej20*

I wonder if this is just another case of Brooks jumping the gun and making stuff up...

Old
07-09-2006, 04:38 AM
JDNYR11

i'm thinking the same thing.

Old
07-09-2006, 04:48 AM
JDNYR11

deal done. the articles are updated. shanny signs for 1yr at 4m

Old
07-09-2006, 04:50 AM
eco's bones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balej20 View Post
I don't consider Immonen a new kid anymore, since he played last year...But the only way Dawes makes the team now is at the expense of another "kid." (Moore, Orts, Hollweg, Hossa, Ward, Betts)
I don't know--other than Hollweg I wouldn't really consider any of those others 'kids'. They're all pretty much in the 25-28 range and other than Ward I don't think any of them are a lock.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2006, 05:24 AM
Unknownbutfamous

Send a message via AIM to Unknownbutfamous
http://www.nypost.com/sports/rangers...rry_brooks.htm

Unknownbutfamous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2006, 05:45 AM
RegalRangers

vCash: 783
Am I the only one who loves this signing? We added ANOTHER player who's won the cup and one who's going to be a fantastic presence in the lockeroom and on the powerplay. The young ones can learn a lot from shanahan. The reason why this is different from the other times the rangers have brought in vetern talent is that shanahan wants to play here and he could have gotten more money elsewhere. I'm really excited.

RegalRangers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2006, 05:45 AM
in the hall

Quote:
The Post has learned the 37-year-old free-agent left winger has accepted a one-year contract worth approximately $4M to join the Rangers after spurning more lucrative offers from both the Red Wings and Canadiens.
I like it

in the hall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2006, 06:02 AM
jas
Unsatisfied

Here's a reason to like this signing -

Quote:
This signing isn't a case of the Rangers bribing a veteran to wear their uniform. This isn't Valeri Kamensky or Theo Fleury. Indeed, sources have told The Post that Shanahan sought out the Blueshirts after having received offers from several teams including Detroit and Montreal.
We've said we want players who want to be Rangers. He's a definitely upgrade in the top six. And, I don't think this necessarily think this hurts the chances of Dawes making the team. Dawes could easily start out as the 3rd line LW (with say, Cullen and Ward perhaps). I do think this makes the battle for the bottom six very spirited. There is NO reason, however, to bring back Rucinsky.

jas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2006, 06:09 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
Shanahan was back in the city Wednesday to be wined, dined and shown around the club's two facilities by Rangers brass. To complete the pitch, his likeness superimposed above a Rangers No. 14 jersey briefly appeared on the Garden's Seventh Ave. marquee accompanied by the words: "New York Rangers Welcome Brendan Shanahan."

While that might have been jumping the gun a bit, the Rangers are very much in the hunt for the six-time 40-goal scorer who is among the few high-profile unrestricted free agents left on the market. The auction is down to the Rangers, Canadiens and Red Wings, for whom Shanahan has played the last nine seasons and won three Stanley Cups
http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/ho...p-365290c.html

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2006, 06:13 AM
ATLANTARANGER*

I am not overly thrilled, but it is nothing to get one's panties in a wad over. A 38 year Shanahan is much preferred over a 30 year old Sykora. yes it blocks a kid, but let's be realistic here too. Jagr is only going to be here for 2 more years and this helps him to still be surrounded by quality. He's happy, he plays well, he plays well, we gain again.

The key here is to also turn away from the prior 7 years before lasat year. Do not underestimate how valuable that is to the organization. Of the kids, Immonen is the only one that really needs to make the squad. The rest, a case can be made for a tad bit more of seasoning. Their will be injuries, only this time we have more readily available prospects that are better equiped for play in the NHL.

So in the end as much as I am not in love with the move, it has its own merits, short term and long.

ATLANTARANGER* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2006, 06:22 AM
ranger120

I think this signing is great for the Rangers. Right now he is what we need. Shanahan has won Stanley Cups and an Olympic Gold Medal. This guy has been a winner everywhere he has gone. He is everything a young Canadian hockey player wants to be. As for holding back youngsters' I don't think this will be a problem, we can still have Immonen, Dawes etc. play and having them around Shanahan will only help. Maybe we can also have Shanahan tutor Jessiman for awhile and make him the player we all hope he'll be??

ranger120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2006, 06:32 AM
bk3nj

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLANTARANGER View Post
I am not overly thrilled, but it is nothing to get one's panties in a wad over. A 38 year Shanahan is much preferred over a 30 year old Sykora. yes it blocks a kid, but let's be realistic here too. Jagr is only going to be here for 2 more years and this helps him to still be surrounded by quality. He's happy, he plays well, he plays well, we gain again.

The key here is to also turn away from the prior 7 years before last year. Do not underestimate how valuable that is to the organization. Of the kids, Immonen is the only one that really needs to make the squad. The rest, a case can be made for a tad bit more of seasoning. Their will be injuries, only this time we have more readily available prospects that are better equiped for play in the NHL.

So in the end as much as I am not in love with the move, it has its own merits, short term and long.

I agree with the general sentiment of Atl's post, but I think I feel a little better about the signing.. Shanahan is a big time right handed shot, he's played both wings in the past. He's a great character guy, and the deal is only for one season. The yoots do seem like they could (in general) benefit from a bit more seasoning..

Also, I've got to agree with Jas above about Dawes on the third line - a line of Dawes - Cullen - Ward sounds like it could be fast, responsible on D, and dangerous.

bk3nj is offline   Reply With Quote