HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Shanahan signs with Rangers (merged)

Old
07-09-2006, 02:41 PM
Ginoro

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimota View Post
And the Habs have good youngsters too(and others coming up). But Lowe had the courage to make those moves that paid off. Like giving Pronger that money even though he was RFA. Sure Bob got Kovalev a few years ago. It was great for sure. Now it`s time to get even further, to take the next step and get somedody else.

I don`t think we can get far with our current squad with the Ribs, Zednik and so forth.
Like I've said, why don't you wait... We're still more than 3 months away from the start of the next season, ALOT of things could happen... If it's not in October, then it could be in March before the trade deadline, depending on how our team is doing but actually, it's wayyyyyy to soon to start whining about our team...
Oh btw, no offense but there's no need to act stupid... You know our squad isn't about Ribeiro or Zednik... Well maybe Ribeiro is a little part of our squad but you know just like me that Perezhogin, Kostitsyn, Higgins and Plekanec will have a much more important job next year than Zednik and possibly Ribeiro(Depending if they are still there)

Ginoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2006, 02:44 PM
Kimota
Three Bananas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montrealer View Post
Well, if the current rumour is true and Shanahan turned down more money from the Habs so he could sign in New York, what would you have done as GM? Kidnap him? Threaten his family? Kill his cat?
You have to have a plan. I felt that during all these UFA negociations Bob acted like a headless chiken "oh we`re gotta try to get that person! oh noo we failed!" "oh we`re gonna try to get THAT one instead! Oh no we failed". So now after running like fools the habs ends up empty handed. Bob got embarassed. If Shanny turned down more money from the Habs then ět`s unfortunate. But we don`t know for sure.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2006, 02:48 PM
Kimota
Three Bananas

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2fast4u View Post
Like I've said, why don't you wait... We're still more than 3 months away from the start of the next season, ALOT of things could happen... If it's not in October, then it could be in March before the trade deadline, depending on how our team is doing but actually, it's wayyyyyy to soon to start whining about our team...
Oh btw, no offense but there's no need to act stupid... You know our squad isn't about Ribeiro or Zednik... Well maybe Ribeiro is a little part of our squad but you know just like me that Perezhogin, Kostitsyn, Higgins and Plekanec will have a much more important job next year than Zednik and possibly Ribeiro(Depending if they are still there)
But see you mention the young guys. I like them. But we have to win games too, not just have youth movements. Because it`s only about potential for them. We have to win NOW. I think having a guy like Shanahan, finally a real leader to this club not only would have make us a lot better(that`s what having a backbone does) but also would have been a great example to those youngsters.

Old
07-09-2006, 02:58 PM
Montrealer

Quote:
You have to have a plan. I felt that during all these UFA negociations Bob acted like a headless chiken "oh we`re gotta try to get that person! oh noo we failed!" "oh we`re gonna try to get THAT one instead! Oh no we failed". So now after running like fools the habs ends up empty handed. Bob got embarassed. If Shanny turned down more money from the Habs then ět`s unfortunate. But we don`t know for sure.
I think it was due to his inexperience as a NHL GM.

Montrealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2006, 03:05 PM
znk

Quote:
Well...I guess you got all the answers. *** are you doing on this board....why arent you an NHL gm?

Really...if you seriously think that Gainey and his team wasnt prepared...get the hell out of here.

znk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2006, 03:22 PM
Ginoro

Quote:
But see you mention the young guys. I like them. But we have to win games too, not just have youth movements. Because it`s only about potential for them. We have to win NOW. I think having a guy like Shanahan, finally a real leader to this club not only would have make us a lot better(that`s what having a backbone does) but also would have been a great example to those youngsters.
You can win games with youngsters, It's been proven last year, depending on the mix of players you have... Oh btw, I don't see why we'd have to win NOW but maybe that's just me... I don't mind giving time to our prospects to develop if it can makes us Cup contender in 2 years... I prefer that to those who their vision is "sign anyone available on UFA market just for the fun of it"
Tell me how Buffalo, Edmonton, Tampa Bay all became cup contenders in the last 2 years ? By playing their youngsters and keeping the chemistry they've got with their veterans over the years...
Obviously, it would have been nice to get Shanahan but that's far from being the end of the world and I don't believe he would have done as well in Montreal than he was doing in Detroit anyway...

Old
07-09-2006, 03:51 PM
Kimota
Three Bananas

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2fast4u View Post
You can win games with youngsters, It's been proven last year, depending on the mix of players you have... Oh btw, I don't see why we'd have to win NOW but maybe that's just me...
Aren`t you tired of seeing the once Great Montreal Canadiens looking like chumps every damn year? To me the breaking point was last year. I told my brother-in-law:"Bob has to make moves next summer because we`re never gonna going to get to the next step. It`s always going to be the same every year on and on and on." Let`s face it it`s been like that every year since Serge Savard left.

Old
07-09-2006, 04:17 PM
bayrider

Because our best players like Maurice and Henri Richard, Lafleur, Cournoyer, Robinson, Roy, Boom Boom, Beliveau, etc... were acquired by trade and UFA right? All the great teams were built from the ground up.

If you want the proper recipe for succes you gotta find the players on your own and build a team like that. UFA's are good for plugging the holes and patching up spots that need fixing, otherwise Gainey is doing the right thing, especially in a cap world. Do you think it would make sense to pay your top 3 players $20M then find 19 more playrs that will play for nothing and still win the cup? You're dreaming.

bayrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2006, 04:36 PM
Ginoro

Quote:
Aren`t you tired of seeing the once Great Montreal Canadiens looking like chumps every damn year? To me the breaking point was last year. I told my brother-in-law:"Bob has to make moves next summer because we`re never gonna going to get to the next step. It`s always going to be the same every year on and on and on." Let`s face it it`s been like that every year since Serge Savard left.
Yeah right, others can but the Canadiens can't... lol
We are actually having the best GM since Serge Savard... He's finally having a plan that is actually working... His plan is working like 100x better than Houle and Savard's plan...
BG will start his 3rd season as the GM, last time I checked, it takes more than that to build something strong...
and to answer your question, No I'm not tired to looks like chumps every year(According to you but yeah, kinda true...) Because I know that for once, we're going in the right direction, that's what that makes me feel better.

Old
07-09-2006, 05:51 PM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

Quote:
If the players dont want to come here through free agency, Gainey is just forced to make a trade.

Remember, summer just started.

Stop overreacting.

You are also comparing 2 different ownership groups. The current ownership group has never lost a star player due to a contract dispute. (ie. Theodore, Koivu and Kovalev) The Molson group really started to dump our star players towards the end of their tenure with the habs ie) Damphousse, Recchi

Hackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2006, 05:54 PM
znk

Quote:
If it was the breaking point...then why are you here?
And this team dosent look like chumps.
Last years team was my favorite in many years. And this year's team is looking like great to me.

znk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2006, 06:30 PM
RC51

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayrider View Post
Because our best players like Maurice and Henri Richard, Lafleur, Cournoyer, Robinson, Roy, Boom Boom, Beliveau, etc... were acquired by trade and UFA right? All the great teams were built from the ground up.

If you want the proper recipe for succes you gotta find the players on your own and build a team like that. UFA's are good for plugging the holes and patching up spots that need fixing, otherwise Gainey is doing the right thing, especially in a cap world. Do you think it would make sense to pay your top 3 players $20M then find 19 more playrs that will play for nothing and still win the cup? You're dreaming.
Don't forget Sam Pollak had the pick of the top quebec players for years. A huge advantage over the other clubs. As soon as the NHL changed this and the Habs were no longer advantaged at the draft table he quit. Retired to grow his roses. The last year the Habs had this big advantage they picked Dug Wickenizer remember, a bust, so the downward spiral started and it only stopped 5 or so years ago. Yep bust after bust for years. YUK, you could have thrown a dart at the draft picks and have come up better. it was down right ugly. This only goes to prove, if you draft bad you are going to die.

RC51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2006, 08:22 PM
Habsaku

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC51 View Post
Don't forget Sam Pollak had the pick of the top quebec players for years. A huge advantage over the other clubs. As soon as the NHL changed this and the Habs were no longer advantaged at the draft table he quit. Retired to grow his roses. The last year the Habs had this big advantage they picked Dug Wickenizer remember, a bust, so the downward spiral started and it only stopped 5 or so years ago. Yep bust after bust for years. YUK, you could have thrown a dart at the draft picks and have come up better. it was down right ugly. This only goes to prove, if you draft bad you are going to die.
Marc Tardiff is no advantage. That theory has been debunked on more then one occasion and is brouight up by people who dont know what to say.

Habsaku is offline   Reply With Quote