Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Calgary Flames
Notices

Who Has The Greates Offensive Potential

Old
07-09-2006, 11:28 AM
abracanada

vCash: 500
Who Has The Greates Offensive Potential

The Flames have gone about their business adding a lot of offensive prospects who have a good offensive upside, to add to the youngsters that were already with the team. Who has the best offensive upside of the following group:

Kobasew
Huselius
Lundmark
Friesen
Lombardi
Phaneuf

I didn't add prospects like Taratukhin, Boyd or Ryder yet because they are yet to make the team.

abracanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2006, 12:02 PM
Captaincanada80

Quote:
Originally Posted by abracanada View Post
The Flames have gone about their business adding a lot of offensive prospects who have a good offensive upside, to add to the youngsters that were already with the team. Who has the best offensive upside of the following group:

Kobasew
Huselius
Lundmark
Friesen
Lombardi
Phaneuf

I didn't add prospects like Taratukhin, Boyd or Ryder yet because they are yet to make the team.

In Terms of Point Production I will Rank em like this

1.Huselius= 70 PTS (Might see action on top line and #1PP, has PPG while on CGY)
2.Phaneuf=60 PTS (Will only improve from last years Performance)
3.Kobasew=40 PTS ( I think 25 will be goals, The assists never come his way)
4.Friesen= 40 PTS ( I can't see him playing all 82 Games, Has the ability to put up 70 though)
5.Lombardi= 30 PTS (Might find himself in the minors for a bit of the season if sutter brings in another F)
6.Lundmark= 30 PTS (See lombo's comments)

Captaincanada80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2006, 12:29 PM
Lunatik*

Quote:

Kobasew
Huselius
Lundmark
Friesen
Lombardi
Phaneuf

when talking Potential are we talking their potential this coming season? or 5 years down the road?

here are my thoughts for both... (I'm leaving of Friesen since he turns 30 right away)

This Season...

Phaneuf (55-60 points)... I expect close to 20 goals again and his assists will rise 5-10

Huselius (50-55 points)... I think he is too quick to try and make the cute play and is as likely to wait for a shot as he is to pass so 25g and 25a seems about right

Lundmark & Kobasew (45-50 points)... Chucky will get more goals though despite similar point totals... i expect Kobasew to get close to 30 goals and Lundmark to get assists on most of those goals as they showed great chemistry near the end of the regular season

Lombardi (35-40 points)... Lombo should be good for 10 goals and 25-30 assists...

5 years from now...
(I'm not including the prospects I know nothing about)

Kobasew (35 goals and 30-35 assists)... as time passes Chucky will only improve when it comes to making the smart play... he is really showing a nose for the net and driving to it even when he doesnt have the puck... I think he has the potential to score 35-40 goals with most of them being of the garbage variety...

Phaneuf (25 goals and 40-45 assists)... Phaneuf has a cannon and could easily top out near the 30 goal plateau... I think he will harness the shot a little and his assists will rise steadily through a large chunk of his career

Lundmark (15 goals and 40-50 assists)... Lundmark has all the talent in the world... good hands, blazing speed, the ability to make a gorgeous pass... if he realizes this ability he could be the next star for the Flames... but I think he may not get that far... but I do think he will become a very good playmamking center/winger)

Huselius (25 goals and 25-30 assists)... I think Juice is pas tthe point where he is going to show great improvement... i think he will hit the ceialing around those numbers

Giordano (10 goals and 35-40 assists)... he is great with the puck and in the near future I expect him to be laying those sweet passes to Dion for alot of goals on the PP

Lombardi (10 goals and 30-35 assists)Donovan with more playmaking ability... I honestly believe thats all Lombardi will manage to establish himself for the rest of his career

Lunatik* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2006, 12:51 PM
abracanada

Actually, I think Huselius is the guy with the biggest upside. Closely followed by Lundmark.

The reason I think Huselius has the biggest potential, is the way he played in the playoffs. 6 points in 7 games under extremely stressful and high pressure situations, is a pretty good sign. There will be less pressure and tight checking on him now that Tanguay has been added to the squad. It is a fairly sure thing that he is going to get first, or at least second line time. Huselius was one of the few bright spots on an otherwise dismal Flames offensive team. Besides, he is just coming into the age when most players hit their stride. What's more, he has developed some real chemistry with Langkow. They know eachother fairly well by now. You can't be so sure about the other prospects being able to find a niche like that. And finally, Huselius has performed at a level far and above what any of the other mentioned prospects has, in the SEL. He has broken records held by people like Forsberg and Naslund over there. The more offensive the NHL becomes, the more it will be to Huselius' liking.

Lundmark surprised me when he came in. He was much more successful with the Flames than I thought he would be. He might have contributed more in the playoffs if he hadn't been injured. His success in the face-off circle, is a testament to the way he has been working on his game. He was pretty effective finding himself open in front of the net, and he has an excellent, hard shot. This was something that Lombardi, who is supposed to be primarily a goal scorer, failed to do.

The Flames have several dark horses, and picking who has the greatest potential, can be a shot in the dark. I am confident that they have some people now that can put up excellent numbers.

Last edited by abracanada: 07-09-2006 at 01:26 PM. Reason: Adding some detail
Old
07-09-2006, 01:09 PM
Lunatik*

Quote:
Actually, I think Huselius is the guy with the biggest upside. Closely followed by Lundmark.
I'm just going with a gut feeling personally... I just dont see Juice as a guy that has what it takes to reach his potential... but Lundmark looks like he really really wants it right now... and Kobasew is always so determined and always gives it his all... maybe with him im hoping for more because I love how he plays

Lunatik* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2006, 01:31 PM
abracanada

Quote:
Originally Posted by thalunatik1979 View Post
I'm just going with a gut feeling personally... I just dont see Juice as a guy that has what it takes to reach his potential... but Lundmark looks like he really really wants it right now... and Kobasew is always so determined and always gives it his all... maybe with him im hoping for more because I love how he plays
One of the things that makes it hard to pick, is how the ice time fluctuates so much under Sutter. In some ways, it is almost like he holds some of the players back. Kobasew falls into that category. He may be able to do much better if he gets enough ice time. No rights or wrongs at this point anyway.