HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Chemistry

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-09-2006, 01:34 PM
  #1
ryanloral
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 5
vCash: 500
Chemistry

My first thread :
How much are we ruining the chemistry that was so vital last year to our success? Remember, if it wasn't unfortunately our two key players who were hurting those last few weeks, who knows how far we would have gone. we beat everyone during the course of the season and at times, to my eyes, we were as good if not better than anyone else in the league. now we bring in a new 2nd/3rd line center, cullen, albeit to replace one that has just recently left, who was a good team guy and got better and fit better with the team as the year went on (rucchin). we now have a new 1st/2nd winger (probably 1st) in shanny, and who knows what kind of ego he has and is he the kind of guy to play second to our leader. i don't know that yet. and the success we had with the 3rd and 4th line guys, betts, ward, hossa, moore, orts and holly, they're being tweaked as we speak, and who sits for who else? hossa was our best forward at the end, particularly in the p/o's. orts and dom worked so well together all year, as did betts and ward. orts is fearless but is so weak offensively that can we afford to play someone who cannot ever contribute a goal. we bring in immonen and does moore sit? i don't think he should. he was a rookie last year and played with a vet's poise. can we afford to take that out of the lineup? move him to wing? maybe, but at whose expense? and if our top six are jags, straks, nylander, shanny, cullen and prucha, what about syky and rosy? syky might have sucked in the p/o's, but being the only offensive threat against his former team is not a role that befits his play. rosy wants to play for us. how many people say that? so i really see a lot of problems tweaking this lineup too much. remember again, these guys clicked right from the beginning last year. i still don't know how, because i remember after the pre-season games i saw at msg i wondered how long it would take to win one game and thought about another long year without the p/o's, and boy was i wrong. i liked last year's model a lot, better than '94 in many respects. i want that to continue. are renney and maloney smart enough to put the right guys together? based on last year i would have to say yes and hope they're just improving on a good thing. i do know renney is a super-smart coach. i had questions at the end about his ability to handle that rapidly sinking ship, but he deserves his position and i think will make everything right. but i'm a ranger fan. we worry about everything, don't we all .

i want to know what you guys think. btw, i used to post sometimes on that other board, but i felt like i was intruding on a clique that i didn't want to be part of.

ryanloral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2006, 01:42 PM
  #2
UAGoalieGuy
Registered User
 
UAGoalieGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Long Island,New York
Country: United States
Posts: 8,657
vCash: 500
Ofcoarse we wont know until the season starts, I do not think the Rangers Chemistry will be hurt at all. The 3 players the Rangers added are guys who know how to win and have strong characters. The core of the team from last season is still there and the Rangers added a stronger group of support players in Cullen and Ward (Both upgrades over Rucchin and Poti, def. in the skills department and def. in the character department over poti, Rucchin was a class-act and will be missed in the lockerroom but I think Shanahan will make up for that.) Shanahan is added to that core of players this season that can put the puck in the net, is a leader and can mentor the younger players. All 3 of these players can work well in systems and should be fine in the Rangers system. If the Rangers went after all the top UFA's this year and signed them to long contracts, then I would be a little worried about chemistry. Overall, I think the Rangers did a great job in the players they signed. Looking forward to next season!

UAGoalieGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2006, 01:46 PM
  #3
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired
 
SingnBluesOnBroadway's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 29,778
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanloral View Post
My first thread :
How much are we ruining the chemistry that was so vital last year to our success? Remember, if it wasn't unfortunately our two key players who were hurting those last few weeks, who knows how far we would have gone. we beat everyone during the course of the season and at times, to my eyes, we were as good if not better than anyone else in the league. now we bring in a new 2nd/3rd line center, cullen, albeit to replace one that has just recently left, who was a good team guy and got better and fit better with the team as the year went on (rucchin). we now have a new 1st/2nd winger (probably 1st) in shanny, and who knows what kind of ego he has and is he the kind of guy to play second to our leader. i don't know that yet. and the success we had with the 3rd and 4th line guys, betts, ward, hossa, moore, orts and holly, they're being tweaked as we speak, and who sits for who else? hossa was our best forward at the end, particularly in the p/o's. orts and dom worked so well together all year, as did betts and ward. orts is fearless but is so weak offensively that can we afford to play someone who cannot ever contribute a goal. we bring in immonen and does moore sit? i don't think he should. he was a rookie last year and played with a vet's poise. can we afford to take that out of the lineup? move him to wing? maybe, but at whose expense? and if our top six are jags, straks, nylander, shanny, cullen and prucha, what about syky and rosy? syky might have sucked in the p/o's, but being the only offensive threat against his former team is not a role that befits his play. rosy wants to play for us. how many people say that? so i really see a lot of problems tweaking this lineup too much. remember again, these guys clicked right from the beginning last year. i still don't know how, because i remember after the pre-season games i saw at msg i wondered how long it would take to win one game and thought about another long year without the p/o's, and boy was i wrong. i liked last year's model a lot, better than '94 in many respects. i want that to continue. are renney and maloney smart enough to put the right guys together? based on last year i would have to say yes and hope they're just improving on a good thing. i do know renney is a super-smart coach. i had questions at the end about his ability to handle that rapidly sinking ship, but he deserves his position and i think will make everything right. but i'm a ranger fan. we worry about everything, don't we all .

i want to know what you guys think. btw, i used to post sometimes on that other board, but i felt like i was intruding on a clique that i didn't want to be part of.

I think chemistry is a year to year thing. There is no way to really know. What is clear is the Rangers have added guys who have won. And they, by all accounts are good, hard workers (which is supposedly the theme of this team moving forward).

__________________
SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2006, 02:25 PM
  #4
broadwayblue
Registered User
 
broadwayblue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 15,610
vCash: 500
I think the key is the organization is drafting and signing quality guys. Shanny took less to come to NY. I don't see that as an ego move. From what I've read Cullen and Ward also fit into the mold the team is trying to create. I don't think there are any specific chemistry problems here.

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2006, 04:52 PM
  #5
Fletch
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Brooklyn
Posts: 21,044
vCash: 500
The top line...

still is in tact - that's mostly what matters with the Rangers. I think there are players who will take to Shanahan's style pretty quickly too, so at forward, I don't worry much about chemistry. I think on defense, Ward can fit in pretty well also. He's not to fancy. There still may exist Kaspar/Tyutin and possibly Malik/Rozsival. At this point, chemistry should not be worried about too much in here.

Fletch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2006, 05:14 PM
  #6
Finest
Puck Fittsburg
 
Finest's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Long Island
Country: United States
Posts: 5,587
vCash: 500
I think the chemistry isnt much of an issue as it was projected to be at this time last season. Last years team was made up of a bunch of radom players who no-one thought would click. They all went Fort Bragg I belive it was to work on skills building and they are doing some of the same things in San Juan this year when they play against the Panthers down there. I think as stated in other posts that the few guys they lost/are going to lose, dont hurt them too much at, if at all, with the exception of Rucchin. Rucchin was too much of a lockerroom leader instead of an one ice leader (as far as point production goes, he did though bust his *** every game for which i'm greatfull). Point is I think they improved their team emencly by adding Shany in the leadership department on and off the ice. The additions of Ward and Cullen improve simply because they have been to the big dance and know what it takes to get there. I can only hope the younger guys reailize the talent thats there and learn all they can. Which I think they will. So I look foward to the start of the season to see them make it to atleast the second round of the playoffs

Finest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2006, 05:24 PM
  #7
shoothepuck
88
 
shoothepuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: upstate
Country: Italy
Posts: 12,197
vCash: 500
Chemistry isn't an issue after the seasons over, especially since only a few players left, and NY should be able to get back what they had and more with the additions they made. The locker room is full of cup winners now, and the coaching staff and system should remain the same. The fans at the Garden should feel better about only having to BOO Poti when they play the Islanders

shoothepuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2006, 05:32 PM
  #8
Fletch
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Brooklyn
Posts: 21,044
vCash: 500
I don't think...

people worried about chemistry last season. You had guys who knew each other, had complementary styles, or had played with each other at some point in the past (which is precisely why the team was constructed as it was, I believe).

Fletch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2006, 08:05 PM
  #9
broadwayblue
Registered User
 
broadwayblue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 15,610
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingHendrik35 View Post
They all went Fort Bragg I belive it was to work on skills building and they are doing some of the same things in San Juan this year when they play against the Panthers down there.
I'm pretty sure it was West Point...but your point is well taken.

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2006, 08:26 PM
  #10
Barbara Underhill
Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuke
 
Barbara Underhill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Montana
Country: United States
Posts: 13,117
vCash: 373
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
I'm pretty sure it was West Point...but your point is well taken.
They are also doing another "team" thing this year when they play in Puerto Rico, or where ever they are playing in the pre season.

Barbara Underhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2006, 08:28 PM
  #11
romba
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Brooklyn
Country: United States
Posts: 2,039
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to romba
No homework threads!!!

romba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2006, 08:57 PM
  #12
DutchShamrock
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: New Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 4,964
vCash: 500
It may or may not be affected, but there is nothing you can do about it. This team in in a transition and that transition will continue for another 2 or 3 years. We had a gap in our prospect line and it has only recently been filled. Right now, half of this team should be made up of draft picks (ideally) but that is obviously not the case. The guys that we signed last year and this year are there to fill the gap until our prospects are ready, or until they are moved for other assets. Sure we signed alot of the Czechs last year because they had familiarity, but I would guess that chemistry ranked lower in determining if they would be signed than their respective cap hits, contract lengths and willingness to play here.

All in all, a roster turn over of 3-5 people is nothing huge. It is rather healthy should affect chemistry too much as the core is still intact.

DutchShamrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2006, 09:27 PM
  #13
Finest
Puck Fittsburg
 
Finest's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Long Island
Country: United States
Posts: 5,587
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
I'm pretty sure it was West Point...but your point is well taken.
Yeah I wasnt sure, thank you for clearing that up for me.

Finest is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:20 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.