HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Development Camp, Day One (Monday)

Closed Thread

Old
07-11-2006, 05:34 PM
no name

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by guzmania View Post
Don't tell 'em I told you but a certain web site has pix up. If you googled the initials for Let's Go Kamping! You might just find 'em.
You will undoubtably find coutless pictures of people hitting the bong and acting immoral.

Old
07-11-2006, 05:47 PM
jurtur

Thanks for all reports from the camp , they are greatly appreciated and i hope it will continue for the whole week .
I specialy want to hear everything about Kopitar , good or bad and what you guys who saw him think off him .

Greetz to all Kings fans from Slovenia

Old
07-11-2006, 09:06 PM
Fat Elvis

Quote:
Originally Posted by jurtur View Post
Thanks for all reports from the camp , they are greatly appreciated and i hope it will continue for the whole week .
I specialy want to hear everything about Kopitar , good or bad and what you guys who saw him think off him .

Greetz to all Kings fans from Slovenia
I can tell you most if not all King fans are hoping and rooting for great things from Anze.

Old
07-11-2006, 09:21 PM
PSP
Couldn't Be Happier!

Quote:
Originally Posted by King'sPawn View Post
No, because when we say how he looks, it's based on a current performance. It's like when a player has a good or bad game in the NHL, you say how he looks in that game. Anything more, especially projections made with authority, should be taken with a grain of salt.

Now you're just being a total *****, and it's not appreciated. ZS's snide remarks are pretty crappy, as well.

What was reported yesterday, and what will be reported for the entire week, is how a player looks in practice. Some people can't go to see them. Others just like to be jerks, and not go when they can, and take pot shots at those who do. But the former like to read how players look, and the former appreciate the time people take to report what they saw. I was one of those people who always appreciated the feedback people on this board gave me, and so I wanted to make a long drive myself and give back something that I appreciated.

You don't appreciate it? Fine, you don't have to.

You want to trivialize the effort some people put into it, and calling them stupid, then screw off and stop wasting time and board space.
That's funny - it looked to me like their entire NHL future was being judged by ONE prospect camp practice. Boyle couldn't skate, Brady Murray was lazy, etc.

If you want to "put effort into it", that's terrific - just stop patting yourself on the back for the "great job" you did and realize that this was just ONE practice, not their entire professional career.

....and just maybe reserve your evaluations until you've seen a little more.

Old
07-11-2006, 10:02 PM
King'sPawn
Enjoy the chaos

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSP View Post
That's funny - it looked to me like their entire NHL future was being judged by ONE prospect camp practice. Boyle couldn't skate, Brady Murray was lazy, etc.

If you want to "put effort into it", that's terrific - just stop patting yourself on the back for the "great job" you did and realize that this was just ONE practice, not their entire professional career.

....and just maybe reserve your evaluations until you've seen a little more.
People don't want to wait three or four days before they hear how players have been. They ask "so is anyone back yet? What happened" before the drills are even over. People's eagerness, plus my own distance from LA where gas and time is a luxury I can't afford as a college student make it difficult for me to make more trips to see them more.

I never said I did a great job. I put in a lot of effort, and I made a nice five hour drive to share my thoughts with mostly appreciative people but also a couple of rude people on these boards. That doesn't mean I did a great job, so please don't portray me as a self-promoter. I won't know how great a job I did until years from now when we see who makes the NHL and who doesn't. I AM getting defensive because I'm part of a group whose good intentions of sharing observations that some couldn't make, and we're being labeled as stupid self-important wannabe scouts making career projections based off of one practice. IF I made any of the sort, then point it out and I'll apologize for it. If it's ONE person doing it, then don't make a blanket statement about everyone else who shared their observations.

I never was, am not, and likely will never be a professional scout (even though I'd like to be one, some day). So I encourage you to take my observations with a grain of salt and go see the players yourself, and I'd happily discuss it with whoever wants to discuss it.

But seriously, if us sharing our observations is THAT much of an inconvenience for people not interested to just ignore the thread, then I'll happily PM those interested when I make another five hour road trip on Thursday. Then those who want to be jerks who are likely half an hour away can take their own time to watch the prospects. I wanted to do this mostly to give back what was given to me, but if every time I do this, I get put in this group, I won't waste my time except for those who PM me individually and are interested.

Old
07-11-2006, 10:04 PM
Tadite

Quote:
But seriously, if us sharing our observations is THAT much of an inconvenience for people not interested to just ignore the thread, then I'll happily PM those interested when I make another five hour road trip on Thursday. Then those who want to be jerks who are likely half an hour away can take their own time to watch the prospects. I wanted to do this mostly to give back what was given to me, but if every time I do this, I get put in this group, I won't waste my time except for those who PM me individually and are interested.

We appricate your evaluations. Heck its why we come to HF in the first place.

Old
07-11-2006, 10:09 PM
PSP
Couldn't Be Happier!

Quote:
It's called constructive criticism - embrace it

If you want to be a reporter (or a scout), report on what you see - don't interpolate.

....and stop being so defensive. Your efforts are appreciated - even if your conclusions are premature.

Old
07-12-2006, 10:03 AM
Fat Elvis

Quote:

If you want to be a reporter (or a scout), report on what you see - don't interpolate.

....and stop being so defensive. Your efforts are appreciated - even if your conclusions are premature.
I'm sure if your criticism was constructive he'd embrace it.

Keep it up KP

Old
07-12-2006, 10:33 AM
Old Hickory

vCash:
Quote:

Congrats on your attempts to make anyone self conscious about posting what they saw from camp. I hope you will be proud and have a sense of accomplishment once your goal of having absolutely no updates posted here about any prospect pans out.

Last edited by Old Hickory: 07-12-2006 at 10:39 AM.

Old
07-12-2006, 12:01 PM
PSP
Couldn't Be Happier!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsjohn View Post
Congrats on your attempts to make anyone self conscious about posting what they saw from camp. I hope you will be proud and have a sense of accomplishment once your goal of having absolutely no updates posted here about any prospect pans out.
I went back and reread the entire post and KP's write-up on the other site. Upon further review, I had attributed some of the what I consider "over the top" assessments to KP when in reality they were posted by others. For that, I apologize.

KJ - you know as well as I do that having "absolutely no updates" isn't my goal. OTOH, I'd hope you'd agree with me that sometimes the prospect evaluations here become wildly inflated, positively and negatively. My "goal" is to have those who report about a prospect do so objectively and have their commentary tempered by context - to steal a phrase from the Kings, my goal is to "Raise the Bar".

Old
07-12-2006, 12:05 PM
Game Misconduct

That's enough. Thread closed. Prospects discussion can continue in threads for subsequent days.

Everyone is encouraged to post their observations at the camp.

Closed Thread