HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Havlat signs with Chicago--3 years\18 million dollars

Old
07-10-2006, 02:07 AM
Rakiet*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by chi777 View Post
Like at the Khabby contract.

THANK YOU!

I was going through this thread and SHOCKED that nobody mentioned khabibulin after 65 REPLIES!!?@$, I was getting ready to say somethign was wrong with this site, I still do..but in any case how will this team be able to handle two $6M players? I'm amazed by this fact more than anything else

Rakiet* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2006, 02:54 AM
Team_Spirit
Tinordi-Subban

vCash: 700
Ive said Havlat could score 100pts in today's NHL if he play healthy and get the opportunity to do it. Playing on the top line and top PP in Chicago will give him that opportunity. This was a very cleaver 3-way deal made by the Hawks as they won both trade with the Sharks and the Sens. As a whole the most improved team out of this is the Sharks who now look like a strong favourite to win the West.

Team_Spirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2006, 06:36 AM
DisgruntledHawkFan

Send a message via ICQ to DisgruntledHawkFan
I honest to god couldn't care less how much he signed for. We're not going to be within five million dollars of the cap with our current owner. Not only was the team AWFUL last year, they just weren't fun to watch. We've aquired a player like Ovechkin or Gaborik, somebody who can take the puck up ice and just bring you out of your seat. He can put the puck in the net, is twenty-five years old, and is the best forward this team has had since Jeremy Roenick left. I'm all smiles over this deal.

DisgruntledHawkFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2006, 07:03 AM
discostu

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisgruntledHawkFan View Post
I honest to god couldn't care less how much he signed for. We're not going to be within five million dollars of the cap with our current owner. Not only was the team AWFUL last year, they just weren't fun to watch. We've aquired a player like Ovechkin or Gaborik, somebody who can take the puck up ice and just bring you out of your seat. He can put the puck in the net, is twenty-five years old, and is the best forward this team has had since Jeremy Roenick left. I'm all smiles over this deal.
Havlat will deliver this to you. It won't be every game, but, the games where he does take over, you'll definitely feel that you were entertained.

I think Havlat is going to enjoy a situation where he's going to be carrying the offensive load. He likes to have the puck, and creates most of his scoring chances with his speed and quickness.

He came at a heavy contract price, but, it seems that's what the market value is right now it seems. I'm so glad that Ottawa has Heatley and Alfie locked up at reasonable deals.

discostu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2006, 07:14 AM
pepty

vCash: 492
Quote:
Originally Posted by nanuuq View Post
Havlat *IS* a great talent.

*BUT* he has an attitude problem.
arrogance breeds disrespect and thus he is getting what he deserves.

Ottawa. No return to the fans, No return to the community.
It was all himself and his ego. This did not put him in Muclers
or the teams or the fans good graces.

SO Havlat, enjoy your stay in Chicago, sitting in your hotel
room till 3 in the morning counting your money and licking your
lips. Too bad its only money that makes you happy.
This is exactly the kind of baloney that makes me happy that Marty has a new start in a new city. He is a great talent and has done lots of charity work in the city and has aways been a team and fan favourite.

Since the advent of John Muckler, Martin Havlat has had to put up with trade rumours and melodramatic posturing by Muckler during contract negotiations. The whole greedy euro thing was ridiculous and just part of Muckler's modus operandi in trashing players in the press during negotiation or after he has traded them away(like Hossa).This goes over well with some fans.

Havlat said that he was glad that Chicago managment showed faith in him and dont worry, Chicago fans, he will reward that faith. He will bring excitement to every game as he did in Ottawa.

pepty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2006, 08:08 AM
crashthenet

A better contract than Savard's and Chicago winds up with the best player in the deal, that's a win. Better than overpaying for what's left.

crashthenet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2006, 09:00 AM
Stuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakiet View Post
THANK YOU!

I was going through this thread and SHOCKED that nobody mentioned khabibulin after 65 REPLIES!!?@$, I was getting ready to say somethign was wrong with this site, I still do..but in any case how will this team be able to handle two $6M players? I'm amazed by this fact more than anything else
OMG CALL THE CAP POLICE! What's the big deal?????????

We are at 27 mill with 7 players left to sign.

Stuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2006, 09:03 AM
Brooklyndevil
82nd Airborne

If Havlat is worth $6 Million, what is Scott Gomez worth? Dam you Chicago!

Brooklyndevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2006, 09:27 AM
Beukeboom Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Milbury View Post
You'd better hope that young talent develops, because you're not going to have the cap room to bring in vets.

Of course, I think your young talent WILL develop, but that is another issue.
Darth, if the young talent doesn't develop - Hawk's are toast with our without the extra cap room. Look at the Hawk's attempt to sign Elias - we were offering 25% more than where he decided to end up signing. That's some serious overpayment, and he still decided to sign somewhere else.

There is NO way the Hawks are going to be sucessful building around UFA's. I do think it's important that there some legit 1st line forwards/top pairing d-men on the roster (Havlat/Aucoin) so you don't expect the kids to carry all the freight without anyone around to show them how to do it.

It's a little bit like the Isle after the Palffy trade. There was a ton of young talent within the organization - but there wasn't the framework in place to let it grow. I've always been so jealous of a team like the Av's that can continually bring up young forwards and put them in a position to succeed because they aren't expected to be a difference maker - they are just expected to go out and work hard.

By adding a guy like Havlat - it give Ruutu a chance to play w/ another legit 1st line forward. When Daze was healthy the end of 2004 - Ruutu was tearing it up because he was playing with someone that he didn't have to carry offensively. I'm hoping that Havlat has that same impact.

Beukeboom Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2006, 09:35 AM
Beukeboom Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyndevil View Post
If Havlat is worth $6 Million, what is Scott Gomez worth? Dam you Chicago!
What bearing does what CHI pays Havlat have on Gomez?

Is there another team like CHI that desperately needs a 1st line player and has a ton of cap room to burn? Because if not - there's no precedent here. If Sakic retires from COL, and they have $5.75M of cap space freed up and need a 1st line center - the Devils will be in trouble resigning Gomez for $6M. That's the way the league works - but it's important to realize that whatever Gomez makes isn't based on Havlat's (and CHI's) circumstances.

UFA's all get paid whatever someone is willing to pay. If no other GM is willing to pay Gomez $6M - he's not going to make it. The salary cap and reduced UFA age guaranteed that moves like this would happen. Over the long term, it forces talent to be redistributed to who has cap space.

Old
07-10-2006, 10:14 AM
discostu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wirtzsucks View Post
OMG CALL THE CAP POLICE! What's the big deal?????????

We are at 27 mill with 7 players left to sign.
Agreed. There are 7 teams in the league that have their two top players taking up $12 M or more in cap space. It's a pretty manageable situation, budget wise in Chicago right now. The concern is more whether enough things can come together for them this year to make the playoffs.

Old
07-10-2006, 10:15 AM
richardn

Bobby Clark must be concerned when he sees how much Havlat got. Gagne should get at least the same as Havlat.

richardn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2006, 10:17 AM
Jennifer 19

Send a message via MSN to Jennifer 19 Send a message via Skype™ to Jennifer 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by pepty View Post
This is exactly the kind of baloney that makes me happy that Marty has a new start in a new city. He is a great talent and has done lots of charity work in the city and has aways been a team and fan favourite.

Since the advent of John Muckler, Martin Havlat has had to put up with trade rumours and melodramatic posturing by Muckler during contract negotiations. The whole greedy euro thing was ridiculous and just part of Muckler's modus operandi in trashing players in the press during negotiation or after he has traded them away(like Hossa).This goes over well with some fans.

Havlat said that he was glad that Chicago managment showed faith in him and dont worry, Chicago fans, he will reward that faith. He will bring excitement to every game as he did in Ottawa.

I don't know how you and joolzie did it...I stopped reading after the second sentence.

This Havlat attitude thing had gone way beyond the realm of reality a long time ago. Ignorance and hate based on no real facts.

Havlat will fit in well on the team and in the community.

Jennifer 19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2006, 10:19 AM
discostu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beukeboom Fan View Post
What bearing does what CHI pays Havlat have on Gomez?

Is there another team like CHI that desperately needs a 1st line player and has a ton of cap room to burn? Because if not - there's no precedent here. If Sakic retires from COL, and they have $5.75M of cap space freed up and need a 1st line center - the Devils will be in trouble resigning Gomez for $6M. That's the way the league works - but it's important to realize that whatever Gomez makes isn't based on Havlat's (and CHI's) circumstances.

UFA's all get paid whatever someone is willing to pay. If no other GM is willing to pay Gomez $6M - he's not going to make it. The salary cap and reduced UFA age guaranteed that moves like this would happen. Over the long term, it forces talent to be redistributed to who has cap space.
Both Havlat and Gomez are RFA's, one year away from UFA. Havlat's contract is very much an influence on Gomez's contract, and, if that negotiation goes to arbitration, I'm sure Havlat's contract will be brought up as a comparable. And, even if it doesn't go to arbitration, Gomez now has a guage of what he's worth on the open market if he decides to test it next year.

Gomez may ultimately sign for less, as many Devils seem to do, but, his agent has definitely took notice of this contract.

Old
07-10-2006, 10:26 AM
Wondercarrot
Classless

Quote:
Havlat *IS* a great talent.

*BUT* he has an attitude problem.
arrogance breeds disrespect and thus he is getting what he deserves.

His disrespect of others with his kicking incidents is a hint
of where his head is at. He did nothing outside the game in
Ottawa. No return to the fans, No return to the community.
It was all himself and his ego. This did not put him in Muclers
or the teams or the fans good graces.
is this a joke?

Why do you need to lie and smear a guy like this? because he wanted more money than we could pay?
Yashin deserved everything he got from the fans, the way some are talking about Havlat is disgusting.

50 goals, 100pts for Havlat next year, not only that they will mainly be of the "OMFG i cant believe he just did that variety".
Playmaking, vision, passing, his scoring touch not to mention his acceleration, crazy lateral movement and puck handling skills are a beautiful thing to behold.

you will be amazed at the things he can do.

Last edited by SingnBluesOnBroadway: 07-10-2006 at 11:13 AM.
Wondercarrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2006, 10:27 AM
fullmetalninja

Beukeboom Fan:

As always (much like Darth) i enjoy reading your posts. I couldn't have said it better..

I think people forget the hawks situation, both in the prospects coming up and with the difficulty we've had bringing in 1st line talent (for at least the last 7-8 years).

Now we just have to hope that Yawney puts Ruutu on Havlat's off wing, and lets the two get some chemistry from day one.

-fullmetalninja

fullmetalninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2006, 10:43 AM
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Darth, if the young talent doesn't develop - Hawk's are toast with our without the extra cap room. Look at the Hawk's attempt to sign Elias - we were offering 25% more than where he decided to end up signing. That's some serious overpayment, and he still decided to sign somewhere else.

There is NO way the Hawks are going to be sucessful building around UFA's. I do think it's important that there some legit 1st line forwards/top pairing d-men on the roster (Havlat/Aucoin) so you don't expect the kids to carry all the freight without anyone around to show them how to do it.

It's a little bit like the Isle after the Palffy trade. There was a ton of young talent within the organization - but there wasn't the framework in place to let it grow. I've always been so jealous of a team like the Av's that can continually bring up young forwards and put them in a position to succeed because they aren't expected to be a difference maker - they are just expected to go out and work hard.

By adding a guy like Havlat - it give Ruutu a chance to play w/ another legit 1st line forward. When Daze was healthy the end of 2004 - Ruutu was tearing it up because he was playing with someone that he didn't have to carry offensively. I'm hoping that Havlat has that same impact.

BF, don't get me wrong. I'm not predicting doom and gloom, nor am I saying this is a bad move. My point though is that you've tied up a lot of your payroll in just three players. That may not be an issue right now, while you are way under the cap. But, in future years, as you sign prospects and give raises to RFAs, the payroll is going to get tighter and tighter.

Of course, this is not a unique situation. Lots of teams in today's NHL have a good chunk of their payroll tied up in a very small number of players.

Darth Milbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2006, 10:44 AM
Ice Cream Man
$1 Oysters

Aaaah.

Makes me appreciate the Tanguay contract even more.

I'm just glad this happened AFTER Tanguay signed with the Flames... not before.

Makes you wonder what you'd want more.... Iginla at $7 million, or Havlat at $6 million.

I understand that Tallon had to overpay for Havlat to lock him up long-term, but... good luck with Havlat actually BECOMING that $6 million player, Chicago. You'll need it.

Ice Cream Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2006, 11:01 AM
Jorge Garcia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyndevil View Post
If Havlat is worth $6 Million, what is Scott Gomez worth?
Dunno ... $2.5 million maybe? Gomez is a nice little player, but he doesn't have a quarter of Havlat's talent.

Jorge Garcia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2006, 11:06 AM
Takeo

Chicago needed scoring, and they have cap room. Looks like a good signing to me.

Takeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2006, 11:12 AM
NyQuil
Setec Astronomy

Chicago is just about the only team that could make Havlat at 6 million over 3 years look good.

He has prodigious amounts of talent and the Blackhawks have lots of icetime and cap space to give him.

Well done on their behalf.

NyQuil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2006, 11:13 AM
Herdin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wondercarrot View Post
is this a joke?
listen dumba$$, if you're going to spout out crap you should probably have an inkling of that which are speaking.
Why do you need to lie and smear a guy like this? because he wanted more money than we could pay?
Yashin deserved everything he got from the fans, the way some idiots are talking about Havlat is disgusting.
If you're a Hawks fan you can also disregard anything "JoeShannon 1983" says also, it appears as though Havlat must have slept with both his mother and sister at the same time, so Havlat is somehow Hitler reincarnated.

50 goals, 100pts for Havlat next year, not only that they will mainly be of the "OMFG i cant believe he just did that variety".
Playmaking, vision, passing, his scoring touch not to mention his acceleration, crazy lateral movement and puck handling skills are a beautiful thing to behold.

you will be amazed at the things he can do.
I agree completely. It's sad how some fans are trashing Chara and Havlat when ALL of last year we were talking about how it was going to be impossible to sign all of these guys. I'm gonna miss Havlat and how he singlehandedly struck fear into the opposition when on the ice

Herdin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2006, 11:25 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorge Garcia View Post
Dunno ... $2.5 million maybe? Gomez is a nice little player, but he doesn't have a quarter of Havlat's talent.
$2.5 million?Gomez should get at least twice that amount

Look at his numbers in comparison to Brad Richards and Alex Tanguay

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2006, 11:26 AM
Beukeboom Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by discostu View Post
Both Havlat and Gomez are RFA's, one year away from UFA. Havlat's contract is very much an influence on Gomez's contract, and, if that negotiation goes to arbitration, I'm sure Havlat's contract will be brought up as a comparable. And, even if it doesn't go to arbitration, Gomez now has a guage of what he's worth on the open market if he decides to test it next year.

Gomez may ultimately sign for less, as many Devils seem to do, but, his agent has definitely took notice of this contract.
And Lou's likely response will be - "Do you want to be the only 1st line players on a bad team that won't make the play-off's?". The Hawks were REALLY desperate and had to pay a premium to a guy that was holding his current team hostage. I really can't think of a worse NHL organization to join, and that's reflected in Havlat's paycheck.

I do see where it might take more money to lock Gomez up before he becomes a UFA. However, I bet Gomez will probably play out like the Elias situation in NJ. If Gomez is willing to leave and go to a brutal team to make a little more money - that option will likely be there. If a team like Washington is willing to pay Gomez $6M (and they might), that sets the market value.

I just can't see Lou getting hustled by Gomez's agent based on Havlat's contract. He's WAY, WAY too savvy to let a desperate GM set the market for UFA's going forward.

Like I said though - it's all about every teams individual situation on what Gomez (or any other UFA) is going to make. I do see it being MORE difficult to lock up a guy before he at least sees what his market value is. Any remember WAY, WAY back to 3-4 months ago when people were talking about how much Jokinen got overpaid by? Wouldn't he have been the biggest UFA bargain of 2006 at $5.25M?

Old
07-10-2006, 11:34 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
And Lou's likely response will be - "Do you want to be the only 1st line players on a bad team that won't make the play-off's?". The Hawks were REALLY desperate and had to pay a premium to a guy that was holding his current team hostage. I really can't think of a worse NHL organization to join, and that's reflected in Havlat's paycheck.

I do see where it might take more money to lock Gomez up before he becomes a UFA. However, I bet Gomez will probably play out like the Elias situation in NJ. If Gomez is willing to leave and go to a brutal team to make a little more money - that option will likely be there. If a team like Washington is willing to pay Gomez $6M (and they might), that sets the market value.

I just can't see Lou getting hustled by Gomez's agent based on Havlat's contract. He's WAY, WAY too savvy to let a desperate GM set the market for UFA's going forward.

Like I said though - it's all about every teams individual situation on what Gomez (or any other UFA) is going to make. I do see it being MORE difficult to lock up a guy before he at least sees what his market value is. Any remember WAY, WAY back to 3-4 months ago when people were talking about how much Jokinen got overpaid by? Wouldn't he have been the biggest UFA bargain of 2006 at $5.25M?
Gomez's agent is his father Carlos who went to the Doug Messier school of sports management.By the tone of the father's comments,he is getting very available cent for his kid

Quote:
Carlos Gomez understands the Devils' cap trouble, but also believes Scott has been "underpaid" for years. He's willing to negotiate with Lamoriello up until the arbitration hearing in August – if it goes that far. After that, however, the Devils will have to wait until July 1.

"If he can't get a long-term deal done, he'll take the one year he gets from arbitration and then he will explore unrestricted free agency next year," Carlos Gomez said. "I'm not saying Scott wouldn't re-sign with the Devils, but he definitely would see what he can get as an unrestricted free agent"
http://www.northjersey.com/page.php?...Y3dnFlZUVFeXk2

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote