HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

New Jersey / Pittsburgh Trade Proposal

Closed Thread

Old
11-10-2003, 08:10 AM
Jon Burke

vCash:
New Jersey / Pittsburgh Trade Proposal

Whatcha think of this one?

To New Jersey: Martin Straka (LW)
To Pittsburgh: Colin White (D), Christian Berglund (LW), 3rd round draft pick

or...

To New Jersey: Martin Straka (LW)
To Pittsburgh: Jeff Friesen (LW), 3rd round draft pick

I know that the Pens may or may not be looking to trim payroll, but the fact is, why should they invest big bucks in guys like Straka if they're not winning much anyways. And Fleury's virtually guaranteed all sorts of bonuses, which could change around the payroll structure enough for them to consider moving Straka.

First deal:

White is a big, mean crease clearer who can move the puck and already has a pair of Cup wins under his belt. He's had an opportunity to learn from guys like Scott Stevens and Ken Daneyko and is a very solid defenseman. Berglund is young and unproven, but he could develop into a scorer who gets under the skin of the opponents. In other words, a very valuable asset. Straka gives the Devils what they need - goal scoring - and he's a very talented guy who works hard and is fairly versatile. I guess that the Penguins might want some higher level talent for Straka, but I really don't know. Guys like White and Berglund strike me as players who'd be a good fit in Pittsburgh.

Second deal:

Friesen is a speedy guy with offensive upside. He proved to be a clutch scorer in last year's playoffs and I still think he could be a pretty good goal scorer at this level. I needn't explain why the Devils would want Straka, do I? The problem with this deal is that if the Pens are looking to get rid of their salary, then they don't trim the payroll too much here.

Thoughts? Counter-proposals?

Old
11-10-2003, 08:28 AM
18Sarge

vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to 18Sarge
I dont see where the Devils want Straka, another midget on an already small team is counter productive. Especially if we have to give one of our big defensemen to get him.

White isnt going anywhere. He will not replace Steven's presence, but will help replace a lot of his ice time when the time comes that SCott is gone.

Berglund may or may not be expendable, but he has made the team and has been playing quite well thus far.

I dont see Friesen being traded, he has repeatedly stated he loves playing here, yes he is off to a slow start, but he did last year as well. THe effort is always there and the results will be at somepoint. He is a streaky player.

Jersey does need a center, just not a small one that has injury troubles the past few years. With Gionta Brylin, Larionov, Gomez, and Berglund playing every night already they cant afford to lose the size that is already there.

Old
11-10-2003, 08:31 AM
Reign Nateo

I highly doubt that Straka would be that valuable. 4 million dollars, I bet the Pens would trade him straight up for Colin White. (I would).

Old
11-10-2003, 08:40 AM
Mike#16*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reign Nateo
I highly doubt that Straka would be that valuable. 4 million dollars, I bet the Pens would trade him straight up for Colin White. (I would).
the pens would, the devils wont!

NJ doesnt need another LW, certainly not a small, injury prone LW at 4 mio.

Old
11-10-2003, 08:40 AM
NFITO
hockeyinsanity*****

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reign Nateo
I agree with the first point... but I doubt that Jersey has any interest at all of dealing White straight up for Straka.

Straka's value is low... making too much, has been injured too consistently and has another year on his already high deal.... (believe he makes same as or more than Elias does, doesn't he?)

Old
11-10-2003, 09:23 AM
Brodeur

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuckfan in TO
Straka's value is low... making too much, has been injured too consistently and has another year on his already high deal.... (believe he makes same as or more than Elias does, doesn't he?)
Lamoriello was quoted as saying our payroll was already too high, so I'm doubting he'd take on Straka at 4.35 mil. Elias makes 4.7 mil this year, 5.5 next btw.

I think maybe somebody like St. Louis would be interested around deadline time. The Blues seem to be a team that could use one more 2nd line forward moreso than others.

Old
11-10-2003, 09:54 AM
NFITO
hockeyinsanity*****

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonMacIsaac
Is Straka worth all that, I don't think so but I may be wrong. For him I would offer Gionta and White. Thats about it.
I think the Pens would take that deal in a second...

White for him would be too much IMO... and White is exactly the type of player the Pens need... although with Stevens getting up there, I don't know how interested the Devils are in moving White at all.

Old
11-10-2003, 10:37 AM
Evilo

Pens would do it, but Devils wouldn't propose it.
Straka will be had for much less unfortunately.

Old
11-10-2003, 10:48 AM
The Tang
I like gooooollllddd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evilo
Pens would do it, but Devils wouldn't propose it.
Straka will be had for much less unfortunately.
sad but true. personally, i do like that first deal a lot and would take it pretty quickly. white would be a huge upgrade over, well, just about all our guys.

Old
11-10-2003, 11:04 AM
Burke's Evil Spirit

Straka is a natural center.

Friesen-Straka-Langenbrunner would be a pretty nifty line, I think.

I like this deal. Colin White is valuable and all, but let's face it - Hale will bring everything he does, probably moreso, and New Jersey definately could use a creative center like Straka.

Edit: When I say "this deal" I mean Straka for White straight up.

Old
11-10-2003, 11:55 AM
Reign Nateo

Gionta for Straka could be interesting.

Old
11-10-2003, 12:20 PM
dennisjs

Send a message via AIM to dennisjs Send a message via Yahoo to dennisjs
I'd trade Brian Gionta and Christian Berglund for him. But i wouldn't do any deal for him that involved Colin White or Jeff Friesen.

Old
11-10-2003, 12:21 PM
DJ Spinoza

I'd be shocked and overjoyed if either of those deals went through.

Old
11-10-2003, 12:50 PM
Lambert Closse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodeur
Lamoriello was quoted as saying our payroll was already too high, so I'm doubting he'd take on Straka at 4.35 mil. Elias makes 4.7 mil this year, 5.5 next btw.

I think maybe somebody like St. Louis would be interested around deadline time. The Blues seem to be a team that could use one more 2nd line forward moreso than others.
I really don't think St Louis will be available around deadline time. All point lead to Tampa making the playoffs.

Old
11-10-2003, 01:30 PM
Ticallion961

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lambert Closse
I really don't think St Louis will be available around deadline time. All point lead to Tampa making the playoffs.
I think he was talking about the St. Louis Blues, not the player

Closed Thread