HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Well... We are officially the team to beat in the East!!

Old
07-10-2006, 02:09 AM
NewHabsEra*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lust for Leafs View Post
realistically habs are last in their division...
Last year was only the beginning of your nightmares against the Habs!

The new Habs era has come!

NewHabsEra* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2006, 02:22 AM
NewHabsEra*

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayrider View Post
We're going to be the #1 team in the east with the same roster that had us praying Washington would beat Atlanta in game 82 of the season so that we could clinch a spot.
Well, considering Kostitsyn will replace Bulis on an offensive line, that Grabovski could make the jump to replace Sundstrom... Perezhogin getting in confidence...This is a signifiant upgrade of pure talent.. Even Ferland in place of Sundstrom is an upgrade... Also dont forget Latendresse, could have another strong camp...

NewHabsEra* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2006, 02:40 AM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayrider View Post
We're going to be the #1 team in the east with the same roster that had us praying Washington would beat Atlanta in game 82 of the season so that we could clinch a spot.
first of all, that was game 81, second of all, we would have held that lead against NJ if we had too, and thirdly, atlanta lost their last game anyways.

Fish on The Sand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2006, 03:01 AM
Naoned
HFBoards Sponsor

1. Buffalo
2. Ottawa
3. Habs
4. Boston
5. Toronto

I don't see things moving a lot this season. Buffalo is a really good team, who's got some momentum and who is sooo young that they can only improve. Ottawa lost big names. You can't really think that Preissing, even if he scored the same amount of points last season will have the same impact as Chara. And Sens will sorely miss Havlat. I see Ottawa having a little drop. Habs have the same team without Theo's awful game which cost us many games. If Huet plays the way he did last year, this team is already improved. Boston improved too, but they'll have to build chemistry. Bruins fans laughed at us last year, explaining us that preseason games are enough to do that. Well, their team proved them wrong. Leafs got better on the blueline, and I think Raycroft will rebound. That said, they don't have a single top line winger. Their youth, which is excellent, has to prove they're for real.

Naoned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2006, 03:14 AM
wholeshow*

i like how the sen, laff and flyer fans flocked to this thread.
ooooooo regular season successs (well the laff fan couldn't even enjoy that), such a big deal!!!!!!!!!!!
win a cup or something. lol

wholeshow* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2006, 04:51 AM
Habsaku

Quote:
realistically habs are last in their division...
Just like last year? What exactly happened to the best trio of centers in the league in TOR again?

Habsaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2006, 06:30 AM
kernkraft

As much as we all love the habs, you gotta be more realistic. They could finish first in the conference, but if you can tell me that for sure, I'll also ask you for your winning 6/49 numbers.

Ottawa lost three of their top six players (Havlat, Chara, Hasek) that's true but they've still got Alfredsson, Heatley, Spezza, Redden, Phillips.

Toronto's got some good players in the offseason but I think they're still in the middle of reconstruction and will not make the playoffs this year.

Buffalo will lose a lot because they've got so many players to sign and not enough cap room to sign 'em all. Still they're fast as hell with a really good goalie.

Boston I think once again is gonna disapoint, they might make the playoffs, but don't have what it takes to make it past the first round. Can Thomas repeat his last season heroics?

The habs in all this are only losing the players that were holding us back and making space for the rookies that we've all been obsessing about, Grabovsky, Kostitsyn, Latendresse, another Kostitsyn. And Plek, Higgs and Perez and all gonna be at least 1.5 times better this year. It's a gamble that Gainey is taking, going with such a young team, but he's rarely wrong.

kernkraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2006, 07:00 AM
VirginiaMtlExpat
MT 5%shift 2futility

I think that our division is too close to call right now. Buffalo and Ottawa are probably slightly better than the 3 other teams, and fortunes of the other 3 hinge on a lot of factors, including injuries, the learning curve of young players, and any bounce-back that last year's underperformers experience.

VirginiaMtlExpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2006, 07:20 AM
hckyguy14

Send a message via Yahoo to hckyguy14
Not Torlling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naoned Citizen View Post
I don't see things moving a lot this season. Buffalo is a really good team, who's got some momentum and who is sooo young that they can only improve. Ottawa lost big names. You can't really think that Preissing, even if he scored the same amount of points last season will have the same impact as Chara. And Sens will sorely miss Havlat. I see Ottawa having a little drop. Habs have the same team without Theo's awful game which cost us many games. If Huet plays the way he did last year, this team is already improved. Boston improved too, but they'll have to build chemistry. Bruins fans laughed at us last year, explaining us that preseason games are enough to do that. Well, their team proved them wrong. Leafs got better on the blueline, and I think Raycroft will rebound. That said, they don't have a single top line winger. Their youth, which is excellent, has to prove they're for real.
Not Trolling or anything, but chemestry was not an issue last year for the Bruins. The team flat out sucked.

Sturm arrived in November and clicked right away with Bergeron and Boyes, there was no chemestry "development" time.

hckyguy14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2006, 07:23 AM
toshiro
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via Yahoo to toshiro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs View Post
Bruins aren't improved enough? Give me a break.

Habs will be lucky to get 8th, the East is a beast again next year. Ottawa is as strong as ever, Carolina could easily repeat, Buffalo will challenge for 1st.. the Habs are way down the depth chart in the East.

We never addressed one single need, most other teams did what they could. If those are the three names you think will lead this team high into the standings, I think your love of the team is clouding your judgement.
Carolina and Ottawa had had significant losses Havlat smolinski weight recchi ward cullen etc Pleks, Zhogin Ryder Higgins Murray Komi should be that much better with solid goaltending

toshiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2006, 07:32 AM
DerekT

Wait, we are OFFICIALLY the team to beat?

YAYAYAYAYAYAYAY!!!!

Where's the parade gonna go through?

DerekT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2006, 08:12 AM
MathMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by cup2006sensrule View Post
They lost Hasek and got Gerber
Gerber is overrated, IMHO. He was the goaltender for a very winny team, but also one that let in an eye-popping number of goals, and his numbers outside of the "wins" column were not too impressive.

At the very least, he sure as heck ain't no Dominik Hasek.

I don't think he's the solution to the Sens' goaltending problem.

MathMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2006, 08:15 AM
Teufelsdreck

Because the Habs haven't added any free agents and their prospects are unproven, this thread seems more than optimistic. IMO it's over the top and totally ignores what other teams have done to improve themselves. I agree that the Habs can't catch the Rangers, but in addition I put the Senators and Hurricanes out of reach. In addition, I'm not sure the Habs can finish ahead of the Sabres, Thrashers, Bruins, Lightning, Flyers, and Devils. Even the Islanders could give the Habs trouble. The shabbiest thinking in this thread concerns the Senators. Although they've lost Chara and Havlat, they still have a lot left, and Preissing is no slouch. Besides, we don't known that the Sens' prospects won't come through. Summing it up, I think the odds are against an improvement over last year's 7th place finish.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2006, 09:24 AM
SOLR

My opinion is that the Senators could have a flat out bad year, like we could. Im also not that optimist with the Sabres, I think theres a lot of trouble ahead for them with this summer of exploding salaries and they lost some assets already.

All-in-all its very hard to judge all the other teams but us! Since we didnt moved!

Where we are in the hierarchy with all this movement is hard to say. But I cant honestly put any team out of reach. Carolina might have Stanley Cup blues, Devils will go down in flames, Julien + cap troubles. Rangers are going up, more depth. If Lethonen stays healthy the trashers will make the playoffs. Tamba bay must start the year well, if not there will be a garage sell. Florida, too hard to judge. Toronto will struggle imo. Washington last in the east with the Islanders. Crosby will fuel the Penguins to 10th-11th in the east. Boston again, too hard to judge.

So its either we are the big sleepers or things wont click and we will miss the playoffs/ barely make them.

SOLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2006, 09:36 AM
Dwight
The French Tickler

Quote:
realistically Leafs are last in their division...
Oops, something slipped out there bud

Dwight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2006, 09:41 AM
NyQuil
Setec Astronomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by raketheleaves View Post
Spezza and Heatley can provide offense IN THE REGULAR SEASON, but suck come playoff time and are terrible in their own zone.
Spezza was probably Ottawa's best forward in the playoffs last year.

I was as surprised as everyone else, but it's true.

Picked up 2 goals and 8 assists for 10 points in 5 games against Tampa Bay, and picked up 3 goals and an assist for 4 points in 5 games against Buffalo.

He was also using his speed a lot more and playing more responsibly defensively.

Heatley was a bust though, despite his 12 points.

NyQuil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2006, 09:46 AM
toshiro
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via Yahoo to toshiro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teufelsdreck View Post
Because the Habs haven't added any free agents and their prospects are unproven, this thread seems more than optimistic. IMO it's over the top and totally ignores what other teams have done to improve themselves. I agree that the Habs can't catch the Rangers, but in addition I put the Senators and Hurricanes out of reach. In addition, I'm not sure the Habs can finish ahead of the Sabres, Thrashers, Bruins, Lightning, Flyers, and Devils. Even the Islanders could give the Habs trouble. The shabbiest thinking in this thread concerns the Senators. Although they've lost Chara and Havlat, they still have a lot left, and Preissing is no slouch. Besides, we don't known that the Sens' prospects won't come through. Summing it up, I think the odds are against an improvement over last year's 7th place finish.
Beyond 1 player how are the rangers better than the Habs? The certainly dont have depth

toshiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2006, 09:51 AM
The n00b King ©*

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyQuil View Post
Spezza was probably Ottawa's best forward in the playoffs last year.

I was as surprised as everyone else, but it's true.

Picked up 2 goals and 8 assists for 10 points in 5 games against Tampa Bay, and picked up 3 goals and an assist for 4 points in 5 games against Buffalo.

He was also using his speed a lot more and playing more responsibly defensively.

Heatley was a bust though, despite his 12 points.
NyQuil beat me to it..

Quote:
They lost Hasek and got Gerber
They lost Chara's 43 points and got 43 pointman Preissing
They lost Pothier's 35 points and got 40 point man Corvo
They lost Varada who is easily replaced on the 4th line probably by defenceman/forward Schubert.
They lost Smolinski whom is replaced by Russian prospect Kaigdorov.
They lost Havlat (who missed 75% of the season) who will hopefully be replaced somewhat by increased production with more experience and ice time from Eaves and Vermette and a UFA or deadline pick-up.
Just because you replace a guy with the same number of points, doesnt mean at all they'll have the same impact. Chara's strenght wasnt scoring goals you know...

And let's face it...Pothier versus Corvo..hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

I dont know what to expect from Gerber this year, so i think it's simply safe to just sit back and watch. Could be good, could be bad.

Buffalo may be just as good (or better) then last year, but it's the year after that that will probably make them suck again.

Florida i see as being much more competitive then they were in the previous years.

Bert may relaunch his career, Horton and ogre face will probably lead the team in offense.

Washington will probably still suck. We'll see if this "sophomore curse" has any effect on the big A

Boston....i dunno...the only guy on that team that constantly worries me is Bergeron. He's a beast. Other then that...

NJ have always been able to compete and will do so again this year.

I think summer time there's just too much down time for people to think too much. Go to the pool guys...trust me, you dont go there to swim...

The n00b King ©* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2006, 09:55 AM
deandebean

We are NOT the team to beat. This is a 9-10th place team.

deandebean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2006, 09:59 AM
LeMAD

I don't think any of our rookies will make the club this year, but even if they do and have a good season, chances are they won't be better than Bulis or Zednik since they are really young. You can't ask 21 yo Kostitsyn to score more than 25 goals/50 points in his first season. Personnally I think we can finish anywhere from 5-13 in the conference, but Kostitsyn, Grabovski and Latendresse won't have much of an impact on our final standing...

LeMAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2006, 10:03 AM
Transplanted Caper

Montreal is one of many team where a definitive idea of where they will fiinish is quite difficult. There is ample speed up front and potential from a rookie or two, to make this an explosive team. If Huet can prove he is the real deal, then heck, finishing in the top 3 in the conference is not that crazy, particularly with Ottawa dropping back a bit (although they still represent a very dangerous team).

On the flip side, the inability of a rookie to break in, a fall in the play in Huet and all of a sudden Montreal is out of the playoffs.

Both scenarios are reasonably possible.

The Northeast is going to be VERY interesting IMO. There should be much more parity with all the teams having the chance to be relatively close together. Should be a great year of hockey!

Transplanted Caper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2006, 10:05 AM
Quiet Robert

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewHabsArea View Post
The only team I could see on pair with us are the NY Rangers...

Ottawa just lost their most underrated foward, Havlat was Ottawa's second line..

Bruins arent improved enough..

Habs are gonna be as solid as last year defensively, the big difference will be up front where you will find a much more skilled and offensively dangerous team...

3 names: Perezhogin Kostitsyn, Grabovski.
You never cease to amaze me. Just when I think you've gone beyond ridiculous you still manage to make me shake my head.

The Habs will be struggling for a playoff spot. Grabs and Kost might not even make the team.

There is absolutely no way the Habs are the team to beat.

Solid team for sure, but still around that 6-10 spot in the East. Just have to play consistent and work hard every shift, every night.

Quiet Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2006, 10:22 AM
Sens Rule

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOLR View Post
My opinion is that the Senators could have a flat out bad year, like we could. Im also not that optimist with the Sabres, I think theres a lot of trouble ahead for them with this summer of exploding salaries and they lost some assets already.

All-in-all its very hard to judge all the other teams but us! Since we didnt moved!

Where we are in the hierarchy with all this movement is hard to say. But I cant honestly put any team out of reach. Carolina might have Stanley Cup blues, Devils will go down in flames, Julien + cap troubles. Rangers are going up, more depth. If Lethonen stays healthy the trashers will make the playoffs. Tamba bay must start the year well, if not there will be a garage sell. Florida, too hard to judge. Toronto will struggle imo. Washington last in the east with the Islanders. Crosby will fuel the Penguins to 10th-11th in the east. Boston again, too hard to judge.

So its either we are the big sleepers or things wont click and we will miss the playoffs/ barely make them.
The thing is if the Sens have a terrible flat out bottom of their potential season with injuries and so on I still think they get 95+ points with the number of 3 point games. I see that as the maximum the Habs can achieve with every possible godd thing going for them. I think the Habs struggle to make the playoffs and their top possible regular season finin9sh is 4th or 5th in the East.

The playoffs are another story but still thinking the Habs are the beast of the east is impossibly optimistic. They aren't even close to that. The Sens forwards and defence lap the Habs. The only way the Habs can dominate in the playoffs (and they won't in reg season play) is if Huet becomes a Patrick Roy clone. He could help the Habs in the postseason to some upsets but the Habd regular season team is full of holes and theyb need the entire team to play at peak potential just to make the playoffs.

Sens Rule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2006, 10:28 AM
MathMan

Which teams are surefire ahead of or behind Montreal then? IMHO it's a bit of a crapshoot.

I'd rate Ottawa, Buffalo and Carolina as still being better than Montreal in the regular season, but with their losses ranking even them is iffy. New Jersey probably still is ahead of Montreal as well, though they haven't moved as much and it will depend on how they resolve their cap situation. Then there's a set of teams that could pretty much go in any order: Atlanta, New York (Rangers), Montreal, Philadelphia, and Tampa Bay. Then teams that are "probably" still a bit worse than Montreal: New York (Islanders), Toronto, Florida, Boston, Pittsburgh, Washington. And this entire ranking is almost certain to break down because of a major surprise or two -- see: Buffalo and Carolina last year. Montreal could very well be next year's Buffalo with a good team system.

It's a very tight conference and getting tighter, and the Habs were pretty much right in the middle of it. The teams ahead of them got worse and the teams behind them got better.

The problem with ranking the Habs is that they have no consistency. They can tie the series with first-place Ottawa and almost get swept by next-to-last place Pittsburgh, in the same season. The Habs have a new coach, emerging young players in pivotal roles, and a goalie with amazing stats last year and a question mark. Too many "ifs" to make any kind of useful prediction. Anywhere from 4th to 9th is a reasonable possibility and they could easily go outside that range in either direction (though lower is more likely than higher).

MathMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2006, 10:41 AM
alexstream

just posted the following at habfans.com:

"SO! Where do teams stand?
I'm not listing them all it'd be too long. just going on top of my head.

1. Ottawa -
Chara, Havlat GONE
Corvo, Barinka, Presseing and Gerber

Outcome: BIG LOSER

2. Carolina
Ward, Gerber, Recchi, Weight, etc. GONE

Outcome : BIG LOSER

3. New Jersey
capped, will have to trade

Outcome: either same, or loser. can't be winner. (unless they really fleece someone while clearing cap room... which do not happen nowadays)

4. Buffalo
too many RFAs, can only lose or be the same.

5. Philly
the same... nothing big enough

6. NYR
Cullen, Ward, Shanny, Rachunek
big Winner

7. MTL
nothing significant... at worst the same... HOWEVER, Theo's ten losses by HIS FAULT will not happen this season.
so fighting for 6th 7th spot

8. Tbay
Denis, Kuba IN
Kubina, Modin OUT

IMO it's a wash... lost a lot of impact on the scoresheet, however the stability in net might make them WINNER
fighting for 6th 7th positon

9. Atlanta
Savard OUT

LOSER, out of playofs

10. Toronto
Kubina, Raycroft IN
Lindros, Allison OUT

Winner... not enough to scare us, they will be fighting for #8

11. Florida
Luongo, Krajicek OUT
Bert, Allen IN
LOSER

12. NY Islanders
Poti, witt

small winners... nothing to scare us.

13. Boston
Chara, Savard IN... Winner over their LAME 74 pts... can they get more than habs projected 93 pts? doubtful"

alexstream is offline   Reply With Quote