HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

What's our top 5 players with the most value on the market?

Old
07-10-2006, 10:02 AM
tinyzombies

vCash: 500
It's a really tricky question.

The Havlat trade kind of lets us know what players who are entering their contract year are worth (not much). That takes out several of our good players (Markov, Souray, Rivet right there).

Older guys who could be considered a bit overpaid like Koivu and Kovalev might have some value, but maybe only at the deadline. And a team wanting to acquire veteran help wouldn't want to give much in return. I don't think a team would build around those two with their track record (wait a minute...

I don't think goalies have very high value in today's NHL unless they are elite. But Huet's value is probably pretty high right now. Not sure about Aeby though.

I would think the best of our young players hold the most value trade-wise since they are cheap and about to blossom. Komisarek and Higgins mainly.

So, my list would be:

1. Huet
2. Higgins
3. Komisarek
4. Markov
5. Koivu

tinyzombies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2006, 02:45 PM
mayday199

Team Situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexstream View Post
unless all the other guys are not worth more than a 2nd (Dan Cloutier traded to LA for a 2nd... Why would Aebs be worth more?)

Aebs is worth more because of 2 things.

1. montreal doesn't have to trade him.... gainey has been pretty savvy with he salary cap and can wait until something interesting happens (Example Denis goes and craps the bed in TB)

2.Cloutier got traded for 2 reasons, the 6.75 million reasons Luongo is making and the 2.55 million reasons that Cloutier makes that could be used elsewhere.

If gainey plays it savvy montreal should be able to get a decent 2nd line dman or a 2nd rounder and a prospect for Aebs

mayday199 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2006, 06:17 PM
goalchenyuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewHabsArea View Post
Komisarek
Kostitsyn
Price
Kovalev
Markov

you didn't pick up Plekanec !!!!! you surprised me with your choices !!

goalchenyuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2006, 06:45 PM
JohnnyReb

1. Markov: Best player on the team, and everyone always wants to improve their defense.

2. Komisarek: See above, with regards to improving your defense. Plus, he's young and cheap with great upside. There is not one team in the league that would turn there back on this guy.

3. Higgins: The type of player everybody wants, and he's proven a heck of a lot more than Kostitsyin (who probably wouldn't be a top 3 prospect on about two-thirds of the teams in the league, let alone somebody they're going to give up a lot to get).

4. Koivu: No denying the heart and talent.

5. Kovalev: No denying the playoff production.

Honorable Mention. Begin: Playoff warrior, the type of guy everybody wants heading into the post-season.

JohnnyReb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2006, 07:07 PM
Maithz

vCash:
Markov
Higgins
Komisarek
Ryder
Kovalev

top 5 prospect

Kostitsyn
Price
Latendresse
Emelin
Grabovski

in no particular order

Old
07-10-2006, 07:11 PM
CareyClutch
Doing the job

Send a message via MSN to CareyClutch
markov
higgins
kovalev
komisarek
Aebischer

CareyClutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2006, 07:58 PM
oli500

Markov
Komisarek
Higgins
ryder
Aeibesher

oli500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2006, 10:19 PM
jpchabby

Markov
Higgins
Huet
Kovalev
Koivu

IMO

jpchabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2006, 10:22 PM
Habsy

THe five with the lowest salaries...

Welcome to the cap-world.

Habsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2006, 10:26 PM
jpchabby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsy View Post
THe five with the lowest salaries...

Welcome to the cap-world.
lollll

jpchabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2006, 10:38 PM
Souffle
A soupçon of nutmeg

Quote:
Originally Posted by raketheleaves View Post
It's a really tricky question.

The Havlat trade kind of lets us know what players who are entering their contract year are worth (not much). That takes out several of our good players (Markov, Souray, Rivet right there).

Older guys who could be considered a bit overpaid like Koivu and Kovalev might have some value, but maybe only at the deadline. And a team wanting to acquire veteran help wouldn't want to give much in return. I don't think a team would build around those two with their track record (wait a minute...

I don't think goalies have very high value in today's NHL unless they are elite. But Huet's value is probably pretty high right now. Not sure about Aeby though.

I would think the best of our young players hold the most value trade-wise since they are cheap and about to blossom. Komisarek and Higgins mainly.

So, my list would be:

1. Huet
2. Higgins
3. Komisarek
4. Markov
5. Koivu
I agree about the contract situation, which is why I'd have Markov right about where he is on your list. I don't think Huet is that valuable. There are lots of good veteran goalies available through trade. But it's all abstract anyway.

It's hard to make a list because there are different markets for different kinds of players. The list for the Trade Deadline market would look different from the one for the Pre-season market, as it would for the Team-over-a-Barrel market. The list for a Franchise Player would look different from the one for a Rental or a Salary Dump and so on.

Souffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2006, 10:47 PM
Mackee

Interesting topic for discussion. Here's my two cents.

Markov
Higgins
Ryder
Komisarek
Koivu

Markov is a no brainer.

Higgins can play in all three zones, skates and hits well and can put the puck in the net. His value further increases if he can continue his second half play from last season.

Can't ignore 30 goals from Ryder in his second season. A little more polish needed on his all around game but things like that can be taught.

Komisarek is beginning to show us and the rest of the league why he was chosen 7th overall in '01. He'll never put up amazing offensive numbers but his defensive play has improved leaps and bounds in the last year or so. I believe he was invited to the World's for Team USA but I'm not 100% sure.

We all know what Koivu can bring. I just don't see him holding anymore value then the four above him. That's not to discredit him in the least.

Mackee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2006, 07:58 AM
Pascal

Markov
Higgins
Ryder
Koivu
Souray

Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote