HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

All Things NYC (Tourist Stuff, Events)

Closed Thread

Old
07-10-2006, 09:03 AM
NyQuil
Setec Astronomy

vCash: 500
All Things NYC (Tourist Stuff, Events)

Howdy Rangers fans!

I'm off to the Big Apple later on this week and was wondering if you guys had any suggestions for attractions, restaurants, stores etc.

If there's another thread already like this, just direct me to it.

BTW, it's nice to see the Blueshirts back into respectability. I was a big fan before the hometown Senators re-entered the league and I was slowly assimilated.

Old
07-10-2006, 09:13 AM
BigCanada77
NYR in the Midwest

Send a message via AIM to BigCanada77
Alot of people come here for this and and think its finally time for a sticky.

There's always something to do in the city. The Village is pretty good for tourists. If you've never been, you can go to Time Square at night, its quite the spectacle, but you cant spend alot of time there before getting bored. If you're interested, you can catch a play on Broadway, good suggestion IMO if you're bringing a lady friend who likes that kind of stuff...

Old
07-10-2006, 09:23 AM
jaywills1020

hit the usual spots empire state building, times square, etc. PLEASE pay your respects to the fallen heroes at ground zero.

Old
07-10-2006, 09:24 AM
kickice

Send a message via MSN to kickice
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyQuil View Post
Howdy Rangers fans!

I'm off to the Big Apple later on this week and was wondering if you guys had any suggestions for attractions, restaurants, stores etc.

If there's another thread already like this, just direct me to it.

Each time I go over, I try visit a couple attractions, or do a couple things I've not done before .... so my last visit (February) I went to:

Top of the Rock viewing platform, at the Rockefeller Center - great for amazing 180 degree views - you see for miles, it really is recommended. And no queues to get in (unlike Empire State), and of course, the added bonus - you can see the Empire State from the Rockefeller!

http://www.topoftherocknyc.com

Another place I visited a couple years ago was the NYC Police Museum

http://www.nycpolicemuseum.org

It was worth the visit. It has a very moving permanent exhibition about 9/11 as well.

Old
07-10-2006, 09:43 AM
bathgate

I suggest a Circle Line(boat tour) around Manhattan. Most of my international clients find it to be a fun trip. There are also sight seeing bus tours analogous to the type in London. IMO the boat tour is the best. Of course there is Broadway and perhaps a tour of the world's most famous arena

Old
07-10-2006, 09:58 AM
NyQuil
Setec Astronomy

Thanks for the suggestions!

Maybe I'll have an excuse to get my Brian Leetch #2 jersey out of the closet.

Old
07-10-2006, 10:13 AM
ftyutin51

******* tourists...

Places to check out:

Empire State Building//Take the 6train to 33rd street or the A, C, E, B, D to 34th street. Theres some other trains you can take there, but I don't remember them. If you're going there, I would suggest you buy the tickets online, so you don't have to wait for it. Costs about ?? but if you take a little kid, it's free. And don't go when its raining. And bring a hat or sunblock lotion 'cause it will get HOT when you're all the way up the building.

Statue of Liberty//You'll have to take the ferry there but it's worth the trip. You should plan to get to the island early since the last ferry is 7:00 p.m. (I think)

Central Park//You've seen it on Friends, Sex in the City and other shows/movies. Everybody goes here to just relax and there are plenty of vendors, shops, etc. to have fun and enjoy a good meal.

*If you're interested in Art, etc. I would suggest you to go to the Metropolitian Museum of Art. I've been there quite a few times for school trips and boring as it was, it was still quite interesting to look at the paintings, etc.

July 4th is over but you should still check out Rockefeller Center. There are shopping stores, restaurants and you also have the Today Show, Conan O'Brien, SNL, etc. NBC studios.

And like jaywills1020 said, please be sincere enough to go down to the Ground Zero memorial and pay your respects.

Old
07-10-2006, 10:15 AM
seenmassive

Take the Staten Island Ferry(free) to go see a Staten Island Yankees game (Yanks A team) ($10), it is in a new stadium right on the water and you get a view of manhattan and you can see the statue of liberty on the boar ride over.

Dinner I would suggest a restaraunt called Blue Smoke for awesome ribs.

Bar 230 5th, it is pretty much brand new and has the best view of the city (it is a rooftop bar) pricey though, located in midtown. Shopping on 5th Ave and in The Village are also good.

Times Square is the tourist hub, Empire State Building, top of the Rock at Rockefeller, and The Chrysler building are also top spots. A stroll through Central Park and maybe a visit to the museum of modern art are also ideas.

http://nymag.com/listings/bar/230-fifth/

http://www.siyanks.com/

Blue Smoke
http://www.newyorkmetro.com/content/02/wk22/review.htm

Old
07-10-2006, 10:17 AM
seenmassive

Also just walk around and find your own way, a bus tour will show you the sights for about 10 seconds but will not allow you to actually experience it in its truest forms.

Old
07-10-2006, 10:20 AM
eco's bones

I don't know I don't visit NYC all that often. I'd skip the Empire State building tour though although it does give an excellent view for miles and miles around when you get to the top. A lot of museums. Central Park. Catch a show or a play. That would be more of what I'd be inclined to do this time of year. As far as where or what to eat that's up to you but the options are endless.

Old
07-10-2006, 10:35 AM
Yizee*

my suggestion is stay away from new york city it's all trash and not a tourist area whatsoever - you want a vacation go to florida... if you like homeless people and trashy looking buildings then I guess new york city is for you - I'm not trying to sound like john rocker I'm just saying what I saw on my trip to new york city - only the inside of madison square garden was the only nice part of new york

Old
07-10-2006, 10:52 AM
BigCanada77
NYR in the Midwest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yizee View Post
my suggestion is stay away from new york city it's all trash and not a tourist area whatsoever - you want a vacation go to florida... if you like homeless people and trashy looking buildings then I guess new york city is for you - I'm not trying to sound like john rocker I'm just saying what I saw on my trip to new york city - only the inside of madison square garden was the only nice part of new york
First the Messier bashing, now this. Go back to Jersey.

Old
07-10-2006, 10:59 AM
Melrose_Jr.

Quote:
Wow man, I'd say you definitely did see much of New York if that's your opinion. Maybe you should ahve made one of threads so we could help you out with somem ideas.

Old
07-10-2006, 11:28 AM
Fletch

Ny's not for everyone...

if you like good bars, good restaurants, nice sights, great plays, big buildings, lots of lights, nice people and a place that's easy to maneuver, then perhaps you overlook the occasional homeless person or the paper that didn't make it to the garbage. If you want to run around and focus on only a couple bad things, then perhaps there aren't a lot of places you'd like as it's pretty easy to find fault in many places.

Old
07-10-2006, 11:43 AM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Quote:
Dude, when did you last come, 1979? Very little of the city is like that any more - even many of the so-called "bad" nieghborhoods from as recently as 5-10 years ago are getting incredibly gentrified. Times Square looks nothing like it used to - it's now completely Disney-fied (I actually kinda miss the old, seedy Times Square...).

Other thoughts on where our friendly visitor should go:

1) Schedule some time just to meander. One of the great things about NY is the neighborhoods - the Upper West Side, the West Village, the Lower East Side and SoHo are all really good, varied choices for this. In addition, I HIGHLY recommend walking over the Brooklyn Bridge - the views on the Bridge itself are great and there are some great neighborhoods on the Brooklyn side (Brooklyn Heights, Park Slope, Cobble Hill, Prospect Heights), however you may want to avoid rambling in Brooklyn if you don't have a native to guide you, because it is fairly easy to get disoriented. Definitely do the Bridge itself, though.

2) There are tons of FASCINATING museums. As another poster wrote, the Met (short for the Metropolitan Museum of Art) is the classic, but I love the Museum of Modern Art (a.k.a. MoMA) and the Museum of Natural History and a lot of the smaller, more specific ones are cool too. One of my favorites is the Tenement Museum which is located somewhere in the Lower East Side.

3) If you like baseball, get tickets for a Yankees game. The stadium is a cathedral to baseball.

4) Bars, restaurants, etc. Again, if you've got a native guide, have him or her make some recommendations. If not, ask at the hotel - although make it clear that you don't want to go to the Hard Rock or some other tourist trap, you want to go to something that New Yorkers actually attend.

Hope that helps. Welcome - have fun!

Old
07-10-2006, 11:50 AM
Yizee*

if you enjoy breathing in second hand smoke new york city is definitely a great place for you

Old
07-10-2006, 11:53 AM
bigjags*

Nyc

I'm not from NYC, but have been there a few times on business. There's one restaurant, in particular, you have to check out. It's called Dos Caminos and on Park Ave, near 26th. There are actually a few aroud the city. But, seriously, the guacamole will knock your socks off. It's a slick place too, but I can't get over how good their home made guacamole is. Do your self a favour and check it out.

Otherwise have a blast in the big Apple. If I could live anywhere, I'd big there!!!

Old
07-10-2006, 11:54 AM
Scotty Hockey

Quote:
if you enjoy breathing in second hand smoke new york city is definitely a great place for you
Absolutely, especially since smoking is BANNED in all bars and restaurants ...

Old
07-10-2006, 11:56 AM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Quote:
Seriously, when was the last time you were here? Smoking in bars and restaurants was outlawed several years ago.

Oh, wait... I get it - you're a hater. Never mind, no point in trying to talk to you.

Old
07-10-2006, 12:02 PM
bigjags*

Quote:
There is no smoking anywhere in Manhattan. And I felt safer in Manhattan at midnight walking around than I do in Toronto at midnihgt walking around.

NYC is 1st class. Anyone who says otherwise should visit a doctor.

Old
07-10-2006, 12:06 PM
Yizee*

thats what I mean they all stand outside the doors smoking I was there in january I saw nothing good in that city except the inside of madison square garden

Old
07-10-2006, 12:37 PM
BigCanada77
NYR in the Midwest

Quote:
thats what I mean they all stand outside the doors smoking I was there in january I saw nothing good in that city except the inside of madison square garden
Well then dont go anymore if you cant handle the "droves of homeless and suffocating clouds of cigarette smoke". Get real man. If you cant handle the MINIMAL amount of those "burdens" then you dont belong in NYC in the first place. The man asked for tourist places and things to do, so he's going no matter what you say. So if you dont have any good places to say, dont post at all.

Move to Montana or something. All the clean air and homeowners you can ask for. You'll love it. Dont let the door hit you on the way out.

Old
07-10-2006, 01:13 PM
DarthSather99

Try Virgils BBQ. Great BBQ eatery. The BEST ribs in NYC. Rivals Kansas City ribs. GREAT food!!

My favorite restaurant in NYC. I LOVE BBQ food.

http://www.virgilsbbq.com/

Old
07-10-2006, 01:15 PM
kickice

Send a message via MSN to kickice
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynRangerFan View Post
Dude, when did you last come, 1979? Very little of the city is like that any more - even many of the so-called "bad" nieghborhoods from as recently as 5-10 years ago are getting incredibly gentrified. Times Square looks nothing like it used to - it's now completely Disney-fied (I actually kinda miss the old, seedy Times Square...).

Other thoughts on where our friendly visitor should go:

1) Schedule some time just to meander. One of the great things about NY is the neighborhoods - the Upper West Side, the West Village, the Lower East Side and SoHo are all really good, varied choices for this. In addition, I HIGHLY recommend walking over the Brooklyn Bridge - the views on the Bridge itself are great and there are some great neighborhoods on the Brooklyn side (Brooklyn Heights, Park Slope, Cobble Hill, Prospect Heights), however you may want to avoid rambling in Brooklyn if you don't have a native to guide you, because it is fairly easy to get disoriented. Definitely do the Bridge itself, though.

Hope that helps. Welcome - have fun!

yeah, Brooklyn Bridge - thats a great shout! I walked over that I think the 3rd time I was over in NYC. We went pretty early in the morning on a nice clear day. It was great, and then found a good cafe / diner near by and had a great breakfast - loads of pancakes and syrup

Also - another place well woth a visit - even if you are not getting a train anywhere - is Grand Central Station. It really is a wonderful building inside.

And for Beatles fans - the 'Imagine' tribute to John Lennon is in Central Park, just over the way from the Dakota Building.

Old
07-10-2006, 01:29 PM
bigjags*

Take the tube to Wall Street too. It's awesome down there....Gordon Gekko! Also, rub the Wall Street Bull's horn for good luck.

Closed Thread