HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

All Things NYC (Tourist Stuff, Events)

Closed Thread

Old
10-05-2006, 11:50 AM
Adriatic

vCash: 500
OT - European soccer fans in NYC..help!

For those of you that are European soccer fans, I need a little help! I'm from Montreal and this weekend I will be in New York City for 3 days and since qualification games for Euro 2008 are going to be played this saturday I need to know a place where I can watch the games. Is there a place in NYC where they show these games?? I know ESPN Zone shows alot of sports but I don't know if they're big on soccer..specially during baseball playoffs. Anyway, if anybody can help I would appreciated very much!. Thanks!

Last edited by Adriatic: 10-05-2006 at 08:51 PM.
Old
10-05-2006, 11:53 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Try Nevada Smith's

http://www.grahamecurtis.com/nevadasmiths/index.html

10-05-2006, 12:03 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

This thread is eerily similar but about hockey...

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=296050

Old
10-05-2006, 12:11 PM
Adriatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
omg thanks so much..this place looks like they show many if not all the games, exactly the kind of place I was looking for! Thank you for this..much appreciated!

Old
10-05-2006, 02:00 PM
Olympic nut

Send a message via AIM to 007 Send a message via MSN to 007
Nevada Smith's is the most football-oriented bar in town, but it'll also probably be insanely crowded (which can be good or bad, depending on whether you get in), so make sure to go early.

Other options are Clancy's, another major football-bar, probably also packed:
http://newyork.citysearch.com/profile/7158459/

The Red Lion, crowded, but perhaps slightly less so. Has decent food:
http://newyork.citysearch.com/profil.../red_lion.html

I'll probably be at Baker Street, because it's close to my apartment and my friend wants to go there to watch Greece vs. Norway (interesting note: this is the pub where Tom Cruise gets his start in Cocktail):

http://www.bakerstreetnyc.com/

They're all good bars and they all have good beer selections. There are a lot of other places to choose from as well, so you won't have major trouble finding the matches in New York. If you're looking for a more obscure match, you might have to dig, but you'll find it!

Old
10-05-2006, 03:45 PM
nyr7andcounting

I hear Nevada Smith's is awsome, but you have to show up early.

Old
10-05-2006, 08:34 PM
Adriatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007 View Post
Nevada Smith's is the most football-oriented bar in town, but it'll also probably be insanely crowded (which can be good or bad, depending on whether you get in), so make sure to go early.

Other options are Clancy's, another major football-bar, probably also packed:
http://newyork.citysearch.com/profile/7158459/

The Red Lion, crowded, but perhaps slightly less so. Has decent food:
http://newyork.citysearch.com/profil.../red_lion.html

I'll probably be at Baker Street, because it's close to my apartment and my friend wants to go there to watch Greece vs. Norway (interesting note: this is the pub where Tom Cruise gets his start in Cocktail):

http://www.bakerstreetnyc.com/

They're all good bars and they all have good beer selections. There are a lot of other places to choose from as well, so you won't have major trouble finding the matches in New York. If you're looking for a more obscure match, you might have to dig, but you'll find it!
Thanks alot man..great help!

Old
10-06-2006, 08:38 AM
Zach_Birch

From JFK to MSG

Hi guys, Im a Finnish fan coming to NY and have booked a ticket to Nashville game on Oct 18. My plane will arrive at 4 pm (JFK) and Id like to ask whats my best shot not to be late for the game? Im guessing I might be through all immigration formalities at around 5 - 5.30 so it doesnt leave me too much time to check-in the hotel (Pennsylvania) and to get my ticket at Will Call.

So do you recommend a taxi or train? Time is a relevant factor here, not price. I want to be in the MSG as early as possible. (Well, lets forget about the helicopter anyway)

Also, if anyone is willing to have a beer or two after the game, please let me know

Thanks in advance.

Old
10-06-2006, 11:38 AM
kickice

Send a message via MSN to kickice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zach_Birch View Post
Hi guys, Im a Finnish fan coming to NY and have booked a ticket to Nashville game on Oct 18. My plane will arrive at 4 pm (JFK) and Id like to ask whats my best shot not to be late for the game? Im guessing I might be through all immigration formalities at around 5 - 5.30 so it doesnt leave me too much time to check-in the hotel (Pennsylvania) and to get my ticket at Will Call.

So do you recommend a taxi or train? Time is a relevant factor here, not price. I want to be in the MSG as early as possible. (Well, lets forget about the helicopter anyway)

Also, if anyone is willing to have a beer or two after the game, please let me know

Thanks in advance.

You can get the air-train from outside the terminal to Howard Beach subway station - they go every few minutes, and then, you can get the A train right to MSG/Penn Station (and close to Pennsylvania hotel). And again, they are very regular, so you wouldn't have to wait long. That could actually quicker than a taxi! Cos of course, you wont be stuck in rush-hour traffic. Thats how I always get from Kennedy Airport to mid-town, but I've never really timed it, cos I'm usually in no great rush so I can't help you with times! But I know it isn't that long a trip, maybe 40 mins . And a taxi can take a long time depending on traffic.

I've been stuck in a taxi on the way too Kennedy in traffic once and it took so long I thought I'd miss the flight.

By the way - make sure you are sat near the exit on your plane, then you can get to immigration first at the airport It takes forever with them fingerprinting and photographing everyone.

Last edited by kickice: 10-06-2006 at 11:44 AM.
Old
10-06-2006, 08:15 PM
PecaFan

Hey guys. Will be driving through Maryland, Pennsylania etc in a couple of weeks, and thought that taking in a game at historic MSG might be a good idea, never having been there before.

So that means, tickets, hotel, and parking. Tickets seem to be available, so one down. Hotel I can priceline etc, not too worried about that.

Now parking, that's an issue from what I gather. It's not like we can just park at the game like in most places. Even parking at hotels seems to be iffy.

What's the general advice on parking? We'd be arriving mid-day the 24th, parking for two nights, go to the game on the 25th, then leave the morning of the 26th.

Old
10-10-2006, 07:59 PM
Zach_Birch

Thanks for advise kickice, I will probably take train then. Cheers

Old
10-15-2006, 12:05 PM
patnyrnyg

Quote:
Originally Posted by PecaFan View Post
Hey guys. Will be driving through Maryland, Pennsylania etc in a couple of weeks, and thought that taking in a game at historic MSG might be a good idea, never having been there before.

So that means, tickets, hotel, and parking. Tickets seem to be available, so one down. Hotel I can priceline etc, not too worried about that.

Now parking, that's an issue from what I gather. It's not like we can just park at the game like in most places. Even parking at hotels seems to be iffy.

What's the general advice on parking? We'd be arriving mid-day the 24th, parking for two nights, go to the game on the 25th, then leave the morning of the 26th.
there are lots everywhere, but they are expensive. For an all-day thing, such as in by 10am out by midnight it is about $25, not sure what they charge for overnight. Check with your hotel, they often have deals with local Kinney parking lots.

Old
11-06-2006, 02:18 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Quote:
Originally Posted by synergy27 View Post
Jon, where in Jersey are you? I'm going to have to assume you are on the shore somewhere. I live in Monmouth County, near Middletown/Red Bank and I have to agree that the Benny invasion has been pretty intense this year.
Sorry I didn't get back to you within a few months!!

I live in Bradley Beach.

"Okay, Joel. You've had your fun. Give your brother his pads back." - Trxjw
Old
11-06-2006, 02:22 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by laika View Post
can anyone suggest some good record stores? i'm mostly into indie stuff.
This is late also, but the best record store in NYC is Generation Records in the village. Decent prices and a great selection.

The record area in the basement has a ton of stuff.

Old
11-06-2006, 02:26 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Oh, also for people visiting the area who want to go to a good record store:

Don't really bother with anything in the city outside of Hospital Records (hard to find and very small -- but an incredible selection of noise and black metal).

The BEST place to go is Vintage Vinyl in Fords, New Jersey if you have a car with you. Nothing is even remotely close. The place is one of the best independant music stores in the entire COUNTRY. It ranks up there with Amoeba in CA.

Fantastic store with a great staff running it.

Old
11-06-2006, 02:34 PM
Bluenote13
20 down, 34 to go !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Prescription View Post
Oh, also for people visiting the area who want to go to a good record store:

Don't really bother with anything in the city outside of Hospital Records (hard to find and very small -- but an incredible selection of noise and black metal).

The BEST place to go is Vintage Vinyl in Fords, New Jersey if you have a car with you. Nothing is even remotely close. The place is one of the best independant music stores in the entire COUNTRY. It ranks up there with Amoeba in CA.

Fantastic store with a great staff running it.
Agreed. In my hardcore days VV was the place, always had everything in stock, rareties too

Old
11-06-2006, 02:46 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
Agreed. In my hardcore days VV was the place, always had everything in stock, rareties too
I've made a lot of money the last 6 or 7 years buying and selling from that place.

Old
11-06-2006, 03:01 PM
Bluenote13
20 down, 34 to go !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Prescription View Post
I've made a lot of money the last 6 or 7 years buying and selling from that place.
Yep, was a great place when there was no internet as well

Old
11-08-2006, 04:57 PM
CM Lundqvist
Best In The World

On the Island, we have Looney Tunes on the borderline of my old town, Lindenhurst, and West Babylon.

Unreal.

Got two OUT OF PRINT albums there... Metallica's "Kill Em All" and "...And Justice For All" with the two extra tracks, "Am I Evil" and "Blitzkrieg" on Kill Em All, and "Breadfan" and "The Prince" on And Justice For All for $25 a piece. The extra tracks were added in 1988, and went out of print in 1992. I got them in 98 right before "Garage Inc." came out.

Also got the "Garage Days '87" ep from them with those four songs on it for $10.

They've got the gold collectors albums and stuff signed by the bands and everything. Small place, but GREAT selection, especially if you're into local bands, hardcore, punk, death metal, black metal, industrial, etc... stuff that you won't find in your average music store.

Old
11-25-2006, 08:25 PM
rangers

How much is the train from Penn Station to Washington DC?

Thanks

Old
11-25-2006, 09:34 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangers View Post
How much is the train from Penn Station to Washington DC?

Thanks
Try Amtrak.com

The bus is cheaper.

Old
11-25-2006, 11:12 PM
donpaulo
Capt Barry Beck

a walk up or down Bleecker street is worth doing. Also make sure to pass through washington square park on your way east to saint marks.

I would eat at mamouns or john's pizza and stop in at Rocco's for great italian pastry. All near Father Demo square.

If you go to Little Italy I would suggest you eat at Angelo's.

On the lower east side I am partial to Leshko's but the old Kiev was outstanding. I wonder if either of those places are still open.

Old
11-28-2006, 11:39 PM
SanJoseCanadiens

where do the new york rangers hockey players hang out?

Old
11-29-2006, 12:36 PM
Bluenote13
20 down, 34 to go !

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanJoseCanadiens View Post
where do the new york rangers hockey players hang out?
Usually i see Barry Beck and Ron Duguay hanging out with Liza and her friends at Studio 54.

Old
11-29-2006, 08:02 PM
Olympic nut

Send a message via AIM to 007 Send a message via MSN to 007
All the Czechs (and all Czechs hockey players visiting town) head to Astoria, Queens to eat at Zlata Praha. It's a great restaurant, by the way.

http://www.zlatapraha.cc/main.htm

Closed Thread