HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

All Things NYC (Tourist Stuff, Events)

Closed Thread

Old
09-15-2007, 10:09 PM
VisionQuest*

vCash: 500
ah herald square. lights in the trees, tons of places to shop (macys), the chock full of nuts cart, and MSG just a couple of blocks away

Old
09-15-2007, 10:59 PM
rickyrod

There are certain outer borough neighborhoods (read: rich ones) you can drive around and look at some really nice displays if you are getting a rental car.

Old
09-15-2007, 11:02 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by PruBlue25 View Post
Best time to go is after the tree is lit in Rockerfeller center. Unfortunately the city is PACKED with shoppers around the holidays, so beware. If you go to Macy's near MSG be prepared to not even be able to move, that's how bad it gets. Then when the night comes around if you wanna go see the tree, the massive crowds of people near the tree is so ridiculous that you can hardly walk through. It's fun though .
Sure, the area around Macy's is packed--everyone is looking at the Christmas window displays--one of the Christmas traditions in New York.

Old
09-17-2007, 06:38 AM
NYRJurgen88

Send a message via MSN to NYRJurgen88
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyChoice View Post
Definitely enjoy the game, hopefully you can catch more than 1
thats my intention. She can shop til she drops and ring me to pick her up after the games!!!!

I've spotted the games i want to go to but they seem sold out already.
will have to try hard to get tickets for them. I'd love to go to the December game against Pittsburgh and see Crosby too.

Old
09-17-2007, 09:59 AM
Henrik_of_Jönköping

Has anyone any info about this hotel? Worth to stay 6 nights as a budget traveler?
http://www.hotelcarter.com/

I´m going to NYC to see the last 3 games of october vs Devils, Maple Leafs and TampaBay and want to stay in a hotel that´s not to expensive and close to MSG and Hooters of Manhattan

I was thinking about the Penn hotel but after the review massacre earlier in another thread i don´t want to spend 300$/night for that hotel....

Old
09-26-2007, 11:54 PM
jumptheshark
the burn out

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft Guru View Post
How come everybody wants to visit the city, and nobody wants to tour Long Island?
I would go to Long Island--but my IQ is too high and well---pretty small place to get cought running around naked singing--in NYC I will fit right in

Old
01-11-2008, 12:36 AM
PensFan68

Sorry if this has been answered here. I went through about 3 pages and didn't find it, and got tired of reading.

I would like to head to MSG to see a game, and I'm looking for a hotel that is fairly close and good priced. I know I'm not going to find anything cheap around, but I also don't want to spend $400. Anyone have any suggestions on hotels that are close and moderately priced? Thanks

Old
01-28-2008, 02:11 PM
HeaveHo94
PSN: NYC_RANGERS_94

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynRangersFan View Post
Yes, but don't call it the tube - it's the subway. If you ask a NYer where the tube is, they will have absolutely NO idea what you're talking about.
the tubes are the tunnels

Old
01-28-2008, 07:30 PM
redfzn

I'm sure the OP already came and left but since the thread was bumped up maybe they're are a couple of people looking for a couple of good places to go to.

Big Nick's Pizza/Burger Joint - 77 st. & Broadway
(Good pizza, endless menu w/ 24 hr. breakfast, BEST burgers in Manhattan. Two pages if different burgers, the option to "sumo" size it and make it a HUGE over 1 pound burger is always accessible to you. Pictures of celebrities all over the place ranging from ex-mayor Giuliani, ex-prez Clinton to Mike Tyson. Not expensive.)

Faluka - Bleeker St. & Sullivan St.
(Hookah bar. Zagat rated. Not cheap but not overly expensive. Good music and atmosphere EVERY night of the week. My favorite night is Tuesdays. If you're looking for a guaranteed party, go to Faluka any night of the week. There is no sign that says "Faluka" so if you don't know where it is you might have to ask someone, it's on Bleeker St. right next to a deli that seems to have any beer you've ever dreamt of on display.)

Karma - 3rd St. & 1st Ave.
Hookah bar. One of the last bars left in NYC where you can legally smoke cigarettes/cigars in. Air purifiers throughout the place so that it's not smoky nor does it smell. Grungy, homey atmosphere, good music, good place to just hang out and relax. Not expensive.)

Bowery Poetry Club - 2nd St. & Bowery
(Cheap bar, beers start at $3. Grungy, homey atmosphere. Good shows, just go with an open mind and don't expect too much actual poetry.)

Coogan's Bar & Restaurant - 167 St. & Broadway
(Good, cheap, Irish sports bar/pub with a lot of history. Food is also decent but I'd rather go for the drinks. After a couple of drinks the food is fantastic.)

Dalla's BBQ - All over NYC, starting on 42nd St. & 8th Ave.
(I believe these are only in NYC, there's one in Brooklyn. Not the greatest food but extremely cheap for the serving size. The best thing you can get from here is the Texa's sized frozen drinks. For $8 you can get a HUGE drink w/ a shot on the side, not a bad idea for a couple of casual drinks w/o the hassle of a bar.)

Old
01-28-2008, 11:18 PM
segmentation fault

If youre willing to take the trip to Brooklyn:

http://www.barcadebrooklyn.com/

Good beer, old video games, you cant really lose.

Old
06-07-2008, 03:31 AM
DL44

vCash: 308
Anybody know anything about the Times Square Block Party happening on Sat June 28th, 08??

apparently it will be from 11am to 6pm....

is worth going to?
what's going to be happening there?/whats on the agenda?

i'll be in town that weekend, just wondering if it will be worth going to...

Old
06-07-2008, 04:08 AM
danno2530

Send a message via Yahoo to danno2530
Honestly I don't know anything about it..but there's a block party somewhere in Manhattan pretty much every weekend during the summer and they are always a good way to spend some time, even if you just walk around and don't buy anything.

Old
06-07-2008, 09:24 AM
Carlos Ranger
Zucc-a-Rella

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by DL44 View Post
Anybody know anything about the Times Square Block Party happening on Sat June 28th, 08??

apparently it will be from 11am to 6pm....

is worth going to?
what's going to be happening there?/whats on the agenda?

i'll be in town that weekend, just wondering if it will be worth going to...
I don't know but I'd say don't go, and avoid times square in general. it's probably just overpriced food and crappy merchandise vendors.

Old
06-08-2008, 11:27 PM
DL44

What are the most popular nights clubs in town right now?

Old
06-09-2008, 12:00 AM
Choice

Quote:
Originally Posted by DL44 View Post
What are the most popular nights clubs in town right now?
Not my scene but check Time Out NY magazine or the Zagat nightlife guide.

If you don't mind dropping ridiculous money and want to go to high-end clubs where celebs go, you probably want to be in the meatpacking district which is btw 14th and 23rd on the west side. But again, not really my scene. I doubt you'll find many city natives in those places.

Old
06-09-2008, 03:47 PM
Captain Monglobster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Choice View Post
Not my scene but check Time Out NY magazine or the Zagat nightlife guide.

If you don't mind dropping ridiculous money and want to go to high-end clubs where celebs go, you probably want to be in the meatpacking district which is btw 14th and 23rd on the west side. But again, not really my scene. I doubt you'll find many city natives in those places.
But you will find many many drunk models, and maybe a Mullen or two.

Old
06-09-2008, 06:07 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Why do people want to come to New York (or any other major city) and spend all their cash on some overpriced night club where everyone will look down on them (this is New York afterall) and it will be too loud to have any sort of conversion anyway? There's so much more to do than that. Go to some neighbor dive--you'll have a much better chance of meeting some locals and having a real experience.

Old
06-09-2008, 06:35 PM
MrEctions
Willy Nilly

Got back from NY yesterday. My fiance and I were there from Thursday until Last night around 5. A close friend of mine loaned me his apartment at the Ocean West Residence's (The Moinian Group) across from Battery Park. I had been to Ny many a time, but this was her first so we did a lot of sightseeing. We checked out all the usuals such as Times Square, 5th Avenue (of course she had to see Tiffany's, Chanel, Coach etc etc, ugh), spent 1/2 a day walking through Central Park, Rockefeller Center, anyways you get the idea. Personally St Patricks Cathedral is a must see, no matter how many times I go to NYC, everytime I step foot in there my mouth drops in awe. Another place that we had a chance to checkout was South St. Seaport, which I actually enjoyed. It was perfect to spend some time during the day, get some pretty good seafood and be close to the water and the Bridge of course. The only major dissapointment I had was the Broadway Comedy Club, the comedians just unfortunately were not funny and the drinks were outrageously priced. However I got to experience a dive called The Blarney Stone that was conveniently located only a block or two away from where I was staying, real cool place. All in all it was a great trip, and Im looking forward to coming back soon.

Last edited by MrEctions: 06-09-2008 at 07:49 PM.
Old
06-09-2008, 07:31 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Ah The Blarney Stone--a true New York institution. There was time not so long ago a person could bar hop up and down Manhattan without ever leaving a Blarney Stone

Old
06-09-2008, 07:48 PM
MrEctions
Willy Nilly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyn Ranger View Post
Ah The Blarney Stone--a true New York institution. There was time not so long ago a person could bar hop up and down Manhattan without ever leaving a Blarney Stone
HAHA, I enjoyed it though, my kind of bar truthfully. I enjoy more space and a lil more laid back atmosphere, so it definitely fit the bill at the time. This one was near Rector St, and I only noticed it from looking out my window, and saying "with a name like that, I gotta check it out". Good times......

Old
06-10-2008, 10:45 AM
dino26

Cant wait am going to NYC in 10 days time staying 20-29 June , thats cool news about the block party ......apart from cheap crap on sale what else is there to do .

Some of you may know that i am 18 , what is there to do about 11pm/12am time in New York bearing in mind that i am 18

Old
06-10-2008, 10:56 AM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino26 View Post
Cant wait am going to NYC in 10 days time staying 20-29 June , thats cool news about the block party ......apart from cheap crap on sale what else is there to do .

Some of you may know that i am 18 , what is there to do about 11pm/12am time in New York bearing in mind that i am 18
http://new.york.eventguide.com/months/08jun.htm

Old
06-10-2008, 01:18 PM
KreiMeARiver*
Have Confidence

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyQuil View Post
Howdy Rangers fans!

I'm off to the Big Apple later on this week and was wondering if you guys had any suggestions for attractions, restaurants, stores etc.

If there's another thread already like this, just direct me to it.

BTW, it's nice to see the Blueshirts back into respectability. I was a big fan before the hometown Senators re-entered the league and I was slowly assimilated.
best club in nyc: Cielo, Little West 12th and 9th....all class

Old
06-10-2008, 02:25 PM
Fletch

I still eat lunch...

about once a week at 'a' Blarney Stone (since there still are many and there have a couple cousins, like the Killarney Rose). The burgers are real good, and cheap (I think it's $5.50 for a 1/3 pound cheesburger that tastes as though it's made from real meat).

Decent prices on drinks too, comparatively speaking.

Is there one near the Garden still (on 32nd stree)? I was shocked to learn the Harp Bar's no longer there (I lived on 32nd street years ago and used to walk by these places - no need to walk down that stretch much any longer).

Old
06-11-2008, 07:52 PM
DL44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
great site... thanks for the link... my trip will be from the 26th-30th and its mind blowing how many options there are...

Closed Thread