HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Gainey on sportscenter lastnight

Old
07-12-2006, 08:01 AM
RC4GM

vCash: 500
Gainey on sportscenter lastnight

I will shorten it up a little, but here it is. Gainey said yes there were a few Ufa's who had said they would not come to Montreal to play for the Habs,didnt really say why or who, but he did say that some of the payers that wont come to Montreal are the players we dont want playing for us(kinda obvious).He also said there is room on the starting line for a new player to come in and room for a young player.

Alll in all,nothing to new or serious but......I just thought I would pass it on.
Thanks Randy age 27 or 28

RC4GM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2006, 08:24 AM
SOLR

Yeah he just said to everyone: hey folkz whatever happens Zednik wont play for the habs 1 more game, he never did before.

Higgins-Koivu-Ryder
* - Ribeiro - Kovalev
* - Pleckanec- Perezhogin
Murray-Bonk-Begin

SOLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2006, 08:46 AM
MaximeL

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOLR View Post
Higgins-Koivu-Ryder
* - Ribeiro - Kovalev
Murray-Bonk-Begin

Latendresse - Pleckanec- Perezhogin could be good no? (If he play like the past year at the camp)

MaximeL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2006, 08:46 AM
NewHabsEra*

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC4GM View Post
I will shorten it up a little, but here it is. Gainey said yes there were a few Ufa's who had said they would not come to Montreal to play for the Habs,didnt really say why or who, but he did say that some of the payers that wont come to Montreal are the players we dont want playing for us(kinda obvious).He also said there is room on the starting line for a new player to come in and room for a young player.

Alll in all,nothing to new or serious but......I just thought I would pass it on.
I guess this young player is Kostitsyn...

NewHabsEra* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2006, 09:01 AM
Qui Gon Dave

Quote:
Higgins-Koivu-Ryder
* - Ribeiro - Kovalev
Murray-Bonk-Begin
How about:

Higgins - Koivu - Ryder
Kostitsyn - Ribeiro - Kovalev (Kost can learn from Kovy)
Plekanec - Bonk- Perezhogin (good shutdown line, has speed, two centres for key faceoffs and a little offensive ability)
Murray - Begin - Ferland/Downey (energy)

Qui Gon Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2006, 09:12 AM
kostitsyn1489

I hope Kostitsyn will play with Koivu and Perezhogin with Kovalev but it pretty tough to makes some line now. The line-up change almost at everygame so... I can't wait until the camp and I wanna see Kostitsyn and Grabovski on the same line. And maybe in season too who knows?

kostitsyn1489 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2006, 09:29 AM
SOLR

So theres 2 spots, 1 from a UFA and one from a youngster.

I think its fair to say Kostitsyn is the youngster. It would take the combination of a bad/abysmal performance from him at camp with good/excellent performance from another player. Wont happen.

Kostitsyn is clinched.(And imo, he can play with everyone on the team and produce, thats what sets him appart)

Ok, now that 2nd spot could become much more interesting.

If we sign a UFA(Im against btw), than its simple.
If we dont there will be a real competition between Grabovski and Latendresse. Because of the skillset I think Latendresse start a mile ahead. He would give so many new solution to the team. Someone big, who play big! What a change. But Grabovski's experience could clinch it as well.

To all those who think its impossible Lats make the team I think you should look at other power fowards and how they developt in the minors, they dont, they mostly waste their time. They are long to developt while in the NHL imo. So the sooner we bring him in, the sooner he might be a good player for us. He can play energy right now with Begin, no problem.

If we dont sign UFA I think we can still make the playoffs, but we will have some ups and down all year with again 2 full time rookies + all those rookies that will replace if theres an injury. Chipchura, Grabovki, Ferland, Lapierre, Emelin(crosses fingers)

Last edited by SOLR: 07-12-2006 at 09:37 AM.
Old
07-12-2006, 09:35 AM
SOLR

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaximeL View Post
Latendresse - Pleckanec- Perezhogin could be good no? (If he play like the past year at the camp)
Yep could be a solution.

Old
07-12-2006, 10:07 AM
crazyd
Canada is hockey

Everytime I do the MTL lines...

Anyway, here goes...

I have thrown the towel for the following players: Ribs, Souray
Ribs: No size, no grit, no determination. Talent, yes. But that alone won't cut it. Has some trade value, but - especially with his salary - can't command somthing to steep.

Souray: I really like the guy, but I can't accept a D-man making a "Patrice Brisebois" out of himself.

Question mark players: Perezhogin, Zednik, Bulis, Ryder
Pz: Maybe it's because we have to many Euro's on the team - yes this seems racist but it's not the intent - but I still fail to see how his potential will pan out.

Zednik: Good player althought inconsistent. Defensively sucks. But has a lot of power in the corners, hard to knock off the puck and displays a mean streak. Plus he is a proven goal scorer. Has very good trade value in my opinion. Can't say that he is suited for third line duty though.

Bulis: Speed, excellent checker, somewhat physical, decent hands, complements quality players. This is a very good third liner. Has top six potential but falls short everytime...Is that what bugs Gainey? Always assumed that Bulis would be a better C-man for Kovy than Ribs.

Ryder: Lites up the lamp. A part from that... I wished he would become an all around player. Trade value is good.

So this leaves us with:

{Pz-Kost} - Ku - Kv
Lt - Hg - Ry
{Pz-Kost} - Pk - Bk
Bg - ? - ?
Dw- Mu

I'm putting high hopes on Latendresse - maybe this is whishful thinking or just the little kid in me that is leaded by blinding hope. Also, if Kost can hit as nicely as he danggles the puck, then he is a sure bet. Bonk better get his *** moving...
Lapierre, Ferland and Lemieux would be good injury fill-ins. I don't think they are ready yet for the big show.

Mk - ?
Km- Bo
Dd - Rv
Ct - St

What are we missing? Well offense is questionnable. If the top lines produce 60 goals each and the bottom half of the line up gives us a total of 60 goals we will be able to sqeeze ourselves into the playoffs. Let's just hope that we can maintain our defensive play tight. Grinders are still a problem for MTL. If MTL wishes to start the next season with theses two top lines they'll need better support in the likes of players like Fernando Pisani.
Lastly, a stellar D-man - jovo, Chara, Pronger and others -would be a key ingredient so as to place MTL's D-squad in the top 10. But we all know that the grocery store is all out for now. So a defensively sound Souray would be the minimum to assure a respectful D-squad.

crazyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2006, 10:13 AM
goalchenyuk

Don't go to fast with Kosty ; it could be also one of Ferland or Lapierre . The holes to fix until now are the ones of Bullis and Sundstrom . I suppose that Perezhogin could be on the second , or a fast UFA player . That "s leave the third liner spot , may be two is Gainey choose to go with Perez on the second line .

goalchenyuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2006, 10:21 AM
Bruin72

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC4GM View Post

And I thought Boston was the only team players didn't want to sign with!!LOL!!!!!

Bruin72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2006, 10:24 AM
22SteveBegin22

I know it's nothing new, but it sucks that there's a list of UFAs who are off limits to us just because they don't want to play in MTL. Must be frustrating for BG to compete when there are a lot of GMs who can sign anyone. And I wonder if there's any effect on contract negotiations when players know that the team has fewer other "options" to replace them if they don't sign. I could see that giving players, especially UFAs, a little extra leverage. Maybe I need to add a "concerned about free agents" expression to my avatar.

22 SteveBegin 22, age 119 (I'm actually Georges Vezina)

22SteveBegin22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2006, 10:33 AM
Jakomyte

The way I see it, we are currently at:

Higgins-Koivu-Ryder
XXXXX-Ribeiro-Kovalev
Zednik*-Plekanec-Perezhogin
Begin-Bonk-Murray
Downey, YYYYY

*I don't know why EVERYONE assumes Zednik will be gone, he could very easily be with us for next season, like it or not

We have 7 defensemen (Markov, Komisarek, Souray, Rivet, Bouillon, Dandenault, Streit) and 2 goalies (Huet, Aebischer)

So, as I see it, the only two spots available are 'XXXXX' and 'YYYYY'. Of course more spots COULD be made available if we trade players from the abovementionned roster.

Jakomyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2006, 10:52 AM
crazyd
Canada is hockey

begin - bonk - Murray

Way to maximize the 2.3 million investment in Bonk

geeezzz....

Murray doesn't have the talent to be on that line. Begin is even limit. Don't get me wrong, Begin is terrific in the role he plays. Can't imagine the Habs without him. Murray is also a role player. But, c'mon, Bonk won't be scoring 20 goals and 20 passes with theses linemates.

I may be naive, but I still think Bonk has offensive upside - even in 5 on 5 situations.

crazyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2006, 11:03 AM
SOLR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakomyte View Post
The way I see it, we are currently at:

Higgins-Koivu-Ryder
XXXXX-Ribeiro-Kovalev
Zednik*-Plekanec-Perezhogin
Begin-Bonk-Murray
Downey, YYYYY

*I don't know why EVERYONE assumes Zednik will be gone, he could very easily be with us for next season, like it or not

We have 7 defensemen (Markov, Komisarek, Souray, Rivet, Bouillon, Dandenault, Streit) and 2 goalies (Huet, Aebischer)

So, as I see it, the only two spots available are 'XXXXX' and 'YYYYY'. Of course more spots COULD be made available if we trade players from the abovementionned roster.
The last gainey quote proves(finally) the contrary. He said theres 1 spot for a youngster and 1 spot for a UFA.

Old
07-12-2006, 11:08 AM
kostitsyn1489

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarto View Post
begin - bonk - Murray

Way to maximize the 2.3 million investment in Bonk

geeezzz....

Murray doesn't have the talent to be on that line. Begin is even limit. Don't get me wrong, Begin is terrific in the role he plays. Can't imagine the Habs without him. Murray is also a role player. But, c'mon, Bonk won't be scoring 20 goals and 20 passes with theses linemates.

I may be naive, but I still think Bonk has offensive upside - even in 5 on 5 situations.
Murray is as good as Bégin. He has lest credit cause he isn't a french guy. Murray was awesome when Bégin was injured he block shot he hits hard but nobody talk about him. Murray is a better hockey player then Begin not intensive as bégin but he hits harder.

And Bonk wil not score 20 goal with any teamates this years so let him play in PK and he will makes the job done.

kostitsyn1489 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2006, 11:31 AM
toshiro
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via Yahoo to toshiro
Quote:
Originally Posted by 22SteveBegin22 View Post
I know it's nothing new, but it sucks that there's a list of UFAs who are off limits to us just because they don't want to play in MTL. Must be frustrating for BG to compete when there are a lot of GMs who can sign anyone. And I wonder if there's any effect on contract negotiations when players know that the team has fewer other "options" to replace them if they don't sign. I could see that giving players, especially UFAs, a little extra leverage. Maybe I need to add a "concerned about free agents" expression to my avatar.

22 SteveBegin 22, age 119 (I'm actually Georges Vezina)
I really like how Gainey emphasizes what sort of character he prefers ie what sort of character is required to play for the Habs.

toshiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2006, 11:43 AM
Habruti!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kostitsyn1489 View Post
Murray is as good as Bégin. He has lest credit cause he isn't a french guy. Murray was awesome when Bégin was injured he block shot he hits hard but nobody talk about him. Murray is a better hockey player then Begin not intensive as bégin but he hits harder.

And Bonk wil not score 20 goal with any teamates this years so let him play in PK and he will makes the job done.
Still I would realy like to see Lapierre with these two guys, he is just as intense as they are with a little more talent IMO. Bonk I think we can live with and I would probably use him on a third/fourth line as well...

Think we could go with something along those line assuming (no UFA):
Higgins, Koivu, Ryder
Perezhogin, Plekanek, Kovalev
Zednik, Bonk, Kostitsyn
Begin, Lapierre, Murray

Habruti! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2006, 11:49 AM
Habsfan18

Quote:
The last gainey quote proves(finally) the contrary. He said theres 1 spot for a youngster and 1 spot for a UFA.
So what exactly proves that Zednik is the odd man out?

Habsfan18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2006, 11:56 AM
znk

Quote:
The team lost Bulis and Sundstrom. Doesent that make 2 spots?

znk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2006, 11:59 AM
ChemiseBleuHonnete

with our current roster, I could see those kind of lines

Perezhogin-Koivu-Kovalev
Ryder-Ribeiro-Kostitsyn
Higgins-Plekanec-Zednik
Begin-Bonk-Murray

Scratchs, call-ups : Downey, Ferland, Lapierre

Markov-Komisarek
Souray-Rivet
Bouillon-Dandenault

scratchs, call-ups : Streit, Cote

Huet
Aebischer
Danis

ChemiseBleuHonnete is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2006, 12:33 PM
SOLR

Quote:
Originally Posted by znk View Post
The team lost Bulis and Sundstrom. Doesent that make 2 spots?
Yeah I guess you could see it that way. Does he counts Sundstrom as a member of the lineup thats another question. We will still have downey as an extra, I was assuming we would have only 1 healthy scratch this year.

I think where the proof is:

If he signs an UFA for 3m, will that guy be the scratch?
Would Zednik be the scratch?
Or would the youngster be the scratch

Its make no sense that any of those be in the stands, whatsoever.

But yeah, maybe I made an assumption to fast.

Old
07-12-2006, 12:59 PM
Taupy

People, remember last year in the preseason? Guillaume Latendresse and Radek Bonk had an awesome chemistry. I'm sure it could work on the 3rd line.

Higgins-Koivu-Kovalev
Kostitsyn-Plekanec-Ryder
Perezhoggin-Bonk-Latendresse
Begin-Lapierre-Murray

Where are Ribeiro and Zednik? Traded for pick.

Taupy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2006, 01:14 PM
Jakomyte

I still think its funny how so many people on this forum just leave out Zednik and/or Ribeiro from their lineups simply because they don't like them. If and when they are actually traded, that's fine, but until then we should assume they will be two of the 14 forwards the team will carry.

Last edited by Jakomyte: 07-12-2006 at 01:15 PM. Reason: edit: spelling
Jakomyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2006, 01:23 PM
SOLR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakomyte View Post
I still think its funny how so many people on this forum just leave out Zednik and/or Ribeiro from their lineups simply because they don't like them. If and when they are actually traded, that's fine, but until then we should assume they will be two of the 14 forwards the team will carry.
I agree with Ribeiro, he will be in the lineup. But theres so much indications Zed is not coming back, I think its fair to leave him out.