HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Notices

Konowalchuk

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
11-10-2003, 03:05 AM
  #1
txpd
Registered User
 
txpd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 39,964
vCash: 500
Konowalchuk

So...for those of you that thought Steve Konowalchuk was dead weight and no loss to lose. Kono has 4 goals and 5 pts in 9 games in Colorado.
Bates Battaglia has zip.

txpd is online now  
Old
11-10-2003, 03:48 AM
  #2
Sports Junkie
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: VA
Posts: 200
vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to Sports Junkie
Shows what decent coaching and great linemates can do. And I might be mistaken but I don't think anyone said he was "dead weight and no loss to lose". Kono was my favorite Cap and I still root for his success as an NHL player.

Sports Junkie is offline  
Old
11-10-2003, 06:44 AM
  #3
Puckfittsburgh
Registered User
 
Puckfittsburgh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Davidsonville, MD
Country: United States
Posts: 341
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Puckfittsburgh
He has been pretty invisible for the Caps the last 2 years. It goes to show that this Caps team brings out the worst in almost every player they get ahold of.

Kono is a good player but there is no way he gets those numbers here. Bates is doing the same that Kono did here only the Caps added a prospect in the process for a player that was gone at the end of the season.

Puckfittsburgh is offline  
Old
11-10-2003, 07:14 AM
  #4
usiel
Registered User
 
usiel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Malaz City
Country: San Marino
Posts: 9,844
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to usiel
Puck is right. He was doing nothing for the past couple of years. It was clearly obvious he was on the down side. Even though he was the Caps captain I don't think he was one of the better ones. He wasn't coming back next year anyways and we got a nice prospect out of deal. Who knows what we could have got for Kono at the trade deadline.

He was a integral player for the caps for many years and I wish him all the luck and success.

__________________
True Story™®©
usiel is online now  
Old
11-10-2003, 07:14 AM
  #5
txpd
Registered User
 
txpd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 39,964
vCash: 500
PL has said that he did not intend to sign that "prospect". The Caps do get a 2nd round choice if McPhee does not sign him. But it appears that the deal is more like Kono and a 3rd for Battaglia and a 2nd. Konowalchuk has now scored 5 goals in Colorado. Battaglia scored 6 all of last year.

txpd is online now  
Old
11-10-2003, 08:06 AM
  #6
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor
 
CapitalsCupFantasy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: United States
Posts: 27,627
vCash: 500
I'm pretty sure

A corpse in Colorado would score 15 and 40.

Not surprised in the least that Kono is doing well on that team. Let's see what happens when Kariya comes back and his ice time drops to 15 minutes a game.

CapitalsCupFantasy is offline  
Old
11-10-2003, 01:09 PM
  #7
MojoJojo5000
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: in a car, commuting
Country: United States
Posts: 107
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to MojoJojo5000
nah

Both of Kono's goals last night were real pretty deflections. Honestly I thought they were kind of fluky, his hands are not that great but sometimes you get a bounce here and there. He'll probably score 20 and be a solid PK guy. Colorado really got him for the playoffs. They like to shuffle their role players to keep the fire warm so to speak, and Kono was the best role player in the league three-five years ago.

Sometimes a player gets in a rut and needs a change of scenery. Straka, Sullivan, and McCauley were all on waivers at one time or another. I don't think Kono is going to blow up like that, but remember being an impending UFA tends to be a tremendous motivator.

MojoJojo5000 is offline  
Old
11-10-2003, 04:35 PM
  #8
smashviller
Guest
 
Country:
Posts: n/a
vCash:
I agree- yes he has 5 goals, but they weren't anything to write home about. his first was an empty netter in Nashville, and 2 last night were crazy chance deflections.

I havent followed his career and cant argue his worth, just adding more points to consider.

 
Old
11-10-2003, 05:43 PM
  #9
Weary
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 1,068
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by shanwon
A corpse in Colorado would score 15 and 40.
So we got a prospect and a player with fewer skills than a corpse for Kono?

Weary is offline  
Old
11-10-2003, 06:08 PM
  #10
st_roland
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: BUSH CONTRY-Frederick, MD
Posts: 1,469
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by smashviller
I agree- yes he has 5 goals, but they weren't anything to write home about. his first was an empty netter in Nashville, and 2 last night were crazy chance deflections.

I havent followed his career and cant argue his worth, just adding more points to consider.


Crazy chance deflections??? Dont be ridiculous, Kono gets 2 deflections last night, and by chance they go in?? Of course not, it takes a lot of skill to do that.

st_roland is offline  
Old
11-11-2003, 02:48 PM
  #11
Ensane
EL GUAPO
 
Ensane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 15,404
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by shanwon
A corpse in Colorado would score 15 and 40.
Guess Battaglia is a lot worse than I thought then. After all, including playoffs he only potted 1 goal and 8 assists in 24 games with exclusive "Joe Sakic time."

The funny part is, Konowolchuk's two current linemates (Sakic and Selanne) have both played like 45 year old beer leaguers whereas Battaglia had the benefit of playing with a much hotter Sakic last season.

For the short term the Avs won the deal, but for all we know Kono could end up without a goal for the rest of the season. Who knows ... just goes to show you how quickly things can change.

Ensane is offline  
Old
11-11-2003, 04:52 PM
  #12
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor
 
CapitalsCupFantasy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: United States
Posts: 27,627
vCash: 500
I think both teams won

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ensane
For the short term the Avs won the deal, but for all we know Kono could end up without a goal for the rest of the season. Who knows ... just goes to show you how quickly things can change.
I think both teams won. Caps weren't going to resign Kono, got younger, and saved some $$. Avs get a solid if unspectacular gritty player would works hard every night.

CapitalsCupFantasy is offline  
Old
11-11-2003, 06:18 PM
  #13
txpd
Registered User
 
txpd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 39,964
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by shanwon
I think both teams won. Caps weren't going to resign Kono, got younger, and saved some $$. Avs get a solid if unspectacular gritty player would works hard every night.
Bupkus. In case you don't know Bupkus means nothing. Nothing is what the Caps have gotten for Battaglia. The Caps can save money with every trade and get a younger player that brings nothing to the table.
0g 0a 0pts...nothing. Its not as if the Caps can afford to get nothing from their veteran players. This player lost last year whatever he had and has not come close to finding it. What is solid? He can skate and hold his stick? 9 games 6 shots -7. That is solid?

txpd is online now  
Old
11-11-2003, 07:14 PM
  #14
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor
 
CapitalsCupFantasy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: United States
Posts: 27,627
vCash: 500
Thats pretty shortsited

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd
Bupkus. In case you don't know Bupkus means nothing. Nothing is what the Caps have gotten for Battaglia. The Caps can save money with every trade and get a younger player that brings nothing to the table.
0g 0a 0pts...nothing. Its not as if the Caps can afford to get nothing from their veteran players. This player lost last year whatever he had and has not come close to finding it. What is solid? He can skate and hold his stick? 9 games 6 shots -7. That is solid?
If we had let Kono go as an UFA...then we would have had bubkis. We got something. It's unrealistic to compare Kono's points to Battaglia. Great team...tons of stars....Poor team...a few stars...no coach, no chemistry.

CapitalsCupFantasy is offline  
Old
11-11-2003, 09:08 PM
  #15
txpd
Registered User
 
txpd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 39,964
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by shanwon
If we had let Kono go as an UFA...then we would have had bubkis. We got something. It's unrealistic to compare Kono's points to Battaglia. Great team...tons of stars....Poor team...a few stars...no coach, no chemistry.
Who is comparing Battaglia's points to Kono's? I am just talking about a forward getting regular ice time that after 9 games with the Capitals has 0 pts and is -7. That is about as close to useless as you can get. If the Caps lost Battaglia to free agency, Caps would have gotten a compensitory pick. At Kono's salary that would have been a 3rd to 5th round pick. I think that may well turn out to be better than getting Battaglia if he doesn't have anymore to offer than he has so far.

txpd is online now  
Old
11-11-2003, 09:09 PM
  #16
txpd
Registered User
 
txpd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 39,964
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd
Who is comparing Battaglia's points to Kono's? I am just talking about a forward getting regular ice time that after 9 games with the Capitals has 0 pts and is -7. That is about as close to useless as you can get. If the Caps lost Battaglia to free agency, Caps would have gotten a compensitory pick. At Kono's salary that would have been a 3rd to 5th round pick. I think that may well turn out to be better than getting Battaglia if he doesn't have anymore to offer than he has so far.

Oops...if the caps lost kono to free agency...not battaglia...my bad

txpd is online now  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:05 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.