HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Notices

Konowalchuk

Closed Thread

Old
11-10-2003, 03:05 AM
txpd

vCash: 500
Konowalchuk

So...for those of you that thought Steve Konowalchuk was dead weight and no loss to lose. Kono has 4 goals and 5 pts in 9 games in Colorado.
Bates Battaglia has zip.

Old
11-10-2003, 03:48 AM
Sports Junkie

Send a message via Yahoo to Sports Junkie
Shows what decent coaching and great linemates can do. And I might be mistaken but I don't think anyone said he was "dead weight and no loss to lose". Kono was my favorite Cap and I still root for his success as an NHL player.

Old
11-10-2003, 06:44 AM
Puckfittsburgh

Send a message via AIM to Puckfittsburgh
He has been pretty invisible for the Caps the last 2 years. It goes to show that this Caps team brings out the worst in almost every player they get ahold of.

Kono is a good player but there is no way he gets those numbers here. Bates is doing the same that Kono did here only the Caps added a prospect in the process for a player that was gone at the end of the season.

Old
11-10-2003, 07:14 AM
usiel

Send a message via MSN to usiel
Puck is right. He was doing nothing for the past couple of years. It was clearly obvious he was on the down side. Even though he was the Caps captain I don't think he was one of the better ones. He wasn't coming back next year anyways and we got a nice prospect out of deal. Who knows what we could have got for Kono at the trade deadline.

He was a integral player for the caps for many years and I wish him all the luck and success.

11-10-2003, 07:14 AM
txpd

PL has said that he did not intend to sign that "prospect". The Caps do get a 2nd round choice if McPhee does not sign him. But it appears that the deal is more like Kono and a 3rd for Battaglia and a 2nd. Konowalchuk has now scored 5 goals in Colorado. Battaglia scored 6 all of last year.

Old
11-10-2003, 08:06 AM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

I'm pretty sure

A corpse in Colorado would score 15 and 40.

Not surprised in the least that Kono is doing well on that team. Let's see what happens when Kariya comes back and his ice time drops to 15 minutes a game.

Old
11-10-2003, 01:09 PM
MojoJojo5000

Send a message via AIM to MojoJojo5000
nah

Both of Kono's goals last night were real pretty deflections. Honestly I thought they were kind of fluky, his hands are not that great but sometimes you get a bounce here and there. He'll probably score 20 and be a solid PK guy. Colorado really got him for the playoffs. They like to shuffle their role players to keep the fire warm so to speak, and Kono was the best role player in the league three-five years ago.

Sometimes a player gets in a rut and needs a change of scenery. Straka, Sullivan, and McCauley were all on waivers at one time or another. I don't think Kono is going to blow up like that, but remember being an impending UFA tends to be a tremendous motivator.

Old
11-10-2003, 04:35 PM
smashviller

vCash:
I agree- yes he has 5 goals, but they weren't anything to write home about. his first was an empty netter in Nashville, and 2 last night were crazy chance deflections.

I havent followed his career and cant argue his worth, just adding more points to consider.

Old
11-10-2003, 05:43 PM
Weary

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanwon
So we got a prospect and a player with fewer skills than a corpse for Kono?

Old
11-10-2003, 06:08 PM
st_roland

Quote:
Originally Posted by smashviller
I agree- yes he has 5 goals, but they weren't anything to write home about. his first was an empty netter in Nashville, and 2 last night were crazy chance deflections.

I havent followed his career and cant argue his worth, just adding more points to consider.

Crazy chance deflections??? Dont be ridiculous, Kono gets 2 deflections last night, and by chance they go in?? Of course not, it takes a lot of skill to do that.

Old
11-11-2003, 02:48 PM
Ensane
EL GUAPO

Quote:
Guess Battaglia is a lot worse than I thought then. After all, including playoffs he only potted 1 goal and 8 assists in 24 games with exclusive "Joe Sakic time."

The funny part is, Konowolchuk's two current linemates (Sakic and Selanne) have both played like 45 year old beer leaguers whereas Battaglia had the benefit of playing with a much hotter Sakic last season.

For the short term the Avs won the deal, but for all we know Kono could end up without a goal for the rest of the season. Who knows ... just goes to show you how quickly things can change.

Old
11-11-2003, 04:52 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

I think both teams won

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ensane
For the short term the Avs won the deal, but for all we know Kono could end up without a goal for the rest of the season. Who knows ... just goes to show you how quickly things can change.
I think both teams won. Caps weren't going to resign Kono, got younger, and saved some $$. Avs get a solid if unspectacular gritty player would works hard every night.

Old
11-11-2003, 06:18 PM
txpd

Quote:
I think both teams won. Caps weren't going to resign Kono, got younger, and saved some $$. Avs get a solid if unspectacular gritty player would works hard every night.
Bupkus. In case you don't know Bupkus means nothing. Nothing is what the Caps have gotten for Battaglia. The Caps can save money with every trade and get a younger player that brings nothing to the table.
0g 0a 0pts...nothing. Its not as if the Caps can afford to get nothing from their veteran players. This player lost last year whatever he had and has not come close to finding it. What is solid? He can skate and hold his stick? 9 games 6 shots -7. That is solid?

Old
11-11-2003, 07:14 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Thats pretty shortsited

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd
Bupkus. In case you don't know Bupkus means nothing. Nothing is what the Caps have gotten for Battaglia. The Caps can save money with every trade and get a younger player that brings nothing to the table.
0g 0a 0pts...nothing. Its not as if the Caps can afford to get nothing from their veteran players. This player lost last year whatever he had and has not come close to finding it. What is solid? He can skate and hold his stick? 9 games 6 shots -7. That is solid?
If we had let Kono go as an UFA...then we would have had bubkis. We got something. It's unrealistic to compare Kono's points to Battaglia. Great team...tons of stars....Poor team...a few stars...no coach, no chemistry.

Old
11-11-2003, 09:08 PM
txpd

Quote:
If we had let Kono go as an UFA...then we would have had bubkis. We got something. It's unrealistic to compare Kono's points to Battaglia. Great team...tons of stars....Poor team...a few stars...no coach, no chemistry.
Who is comparing Battaglia's points to Kono's? I am just talking about a forward getting regular ice time that after 9 games with the Capitals has 0 pts and is -7. That is about as close to useless as you can get. If the Caps lost Battaglia to free agency, Caps would have gotten a compensitory pick. At Kono's salary that would have been a 3rd to 5th round pick. I think that may well turn out to be better than getting Battaglia if he doesn't have anymore to offer than he has so far.

Old
11-11-2003, 09:09 PM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd
Who is comparing Battaglia's points to Kono's? I am just talking about a forward getting regular ice time that after 9 games with the Capitals has 0 pts and is -7. That is about as close to useless as you can get. If the Caps lost Battaglia to free agency, Caps would have gotten a compensitory pick. At Kono's salary that would have been a 3rd to 5th round pick. I think that may well turn out to be better than getting Battaglia if he doesn't have anymore to offer than he has so far.

Oops...if the caps lost kono to free agency...not battaglia...my bad

Closed Thread