HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Which is it?

Closed Thread

Old
11-10-2003, 06:29 PM
Oiltalk

vCash: 500
Which is it?

I've been hearing complaining about Salo the last few weeks, although he has been left high and dry by our defenceman on numerous occasions. Now that Conklin got lit up the same way I think it's fairly obvious where the Oilers key weakness is. Not saying that the goalies can't share the blame, but the Oilers aren't a one man team.

Old
11-10-2003, 06:37 PM
oilers_guy_eddie
Craig's on it.

I think most people recognize that this is not exactly the defense from the '76 Habs here.

However, Salo got yanked for good reason last time out. I think Conklin played better than that tonight, but that last goal was certainly not specifically too good.

As well, I'm not sure that a rookie with 8 games of NHL experience letting in 4 goals is evidence that Salo's not doing anything wrong. I think Ty Conklin gets a little more slack than Tommy Salo.

Old
11-10-2003, 06:52 PM
Cujo_31

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilers_guy_eddie
I think most people recognize that this is not exactly the defense from the '76 Habs here.

However, Salo got yanked for good reason last time out. I think Conklin played better than that tonight, but that last goal was certainly not specifically too good.

As well, I'm not sure that a rookie with 8 games of NHL experience letting in 4 goals is evidence that Salo's not doing anything wrong. I think Ty Conklin gets a little more slack than Tommy Salo.

Conklin faced 36 shots tonight...& 2 of the goals he let in were deflections right in front of the net which, in all honesty as a goalie, you have very little if any chance at all on....the last goal by Holik, was a good move by Holik, it was a nice back-hander just above Conklin's pad, and right under his blocker, well placed shot by Holik..

Salo allowed 3 goals on 8 shots against Toronto..big difference.

Old
11-10-2003, 07:07 PM
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oiltalk
I've been hearing complaining about Salo the last few weeks, although he has been left high and dry by our defenceman on numerous occasions. Now that Conklin got lit up the same way I think it's fairly obvious where the Oilers key weakness is. Not saying that the goalies can't share the blame, but the Oilers aren't a one man team.
There's a fairly large difference between top-shelf goals and the kind Salo's been letting in. The last goal wasn't the greatest to allow, BUT, Conks made key saves and the saves he has to make, all game long.

Old
11-10-2003, 07:14 PM
Oiltalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cujo_31
Conklin faced 36 shots tonight...& 2 of the goals he let in were deflections right in front of the net which, in all honesty as a goalie, you have very little if any chance at all on....the last goal by Holik, was a good move by Holik, it was a nice back-hander just above Conklin's pad, and right under his blocker, well placed shot by Holik..

Doesn't matter when your still giving up 4 goals a game. 36 shots. Kind of a bit much don't you think? Bottom line is the defence needs to improve in order to get the amount of goals down.

Old
11-10-2003, 07:19 PM
Cujo_31

Quote:
Doesn't matter when your still giving up 4 goals a game. 36 shots. Kind of a bit much don't you think? Bottom line is the defence needs to improve in order to get the amount of goals down.

not really, when 2 of those were deflections...not many goalies, even Hasek, Brodeur or even Patty Roy could stop those on their best nights...it's near impossible to stop those 2 deflection goals the NYR had tonight..i've played goal, and you can only hope on a deflection that either somehow you get a piece of it & it stays out, it hits the post & stays out, or it hits a player in front & stays out...defensively we could've been better...as far as Ty Conklin's performance, take away the 2 goals which he had no chance on, I dont care what anyone says, when you see it, it may seem stoppable, when you're in net & it's actually happeneing, it's extremely tough...I thought Ty played really good tonight, he let a few dangerous rebounds out but the defence was there to clear them out for the most part...other then the rebounds he allowed, he played a decent game for us & he's only gonna get better, you gotta remember it was just his 9th NHL game tonight...

Old
11-10-2003, 07:23 PM
cram

Quote:
For Pete's sake, some people get way to analytical, nothing on the above post, i just hit reply on it, but anyhow, Salo's problem is timing, he is letting in goals at the worst possible moments in the game, even though Conklin let in 4 tonight, when it was 2-1 Rags he made some key saves, when it was 2-2 he made some key saves, he let in the 4-3, but made some key saves while the Rags were on the pp to start the 3rd and again made key saves when it was 5-4, ,THAT, my friends is what Tommy Salo has NOT been doing for us thus far and going back to the Dallas series last year, i could care less for stats, and that's the bottom line cause Stone Cold says so!

Old
11-10-2003, 07:23 PM
Oiltalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoudmouthHemskyfan#1
There's a fairly large difference between top-shelf goals and the kind Salo's been letting in. The last goal wasn't the greatest to allow, BUT, Conks made key saves and the saves he has to make, all game long.
When will people start to admit that the defence is lackluster? I'm not comparing Salo and Conklin. I'm saying neither goalie is given a chance go play up to their standards, because our defenceman have yet to play one solid game this year as a group. One game Eric will be our best dman, and the next he will look like Tom Poti without the offence.

Salo has been poor but not terrible by any stretch. Team defence has inflating his bad stats, and the case will be the same for Conklin if things don't change. Conklin had a good game, I'm not going to take that away from him, but I would be worried about going into the playoffs right now with the way our team is currently playing.

Old
11-10-2003, 07:26 PM
igor*

Quote:
I agree with Eddie, LMHF and Cujo completely.

And NYR / EDM games are usually chance-filled games. Similarly, I think Salo's best game of the year was the home win over COL ... and he let in three in that one. Which was good work considering the number of chances the Oilers gave up ... I don't think anyone was complaining about Salo after that one, in fact I think he earned the 3rd star for his efforts.

The last goal, on Holik's backhand, was admittedly weak. And the Oilers certainly missed Reasoner tonight ... the only line that was outchanced was the Stoll line (just by my eye, I wasn't counting) against Messier's line.

Bottom line ... I think the Oilers got average NHL goaltending tonight, maybe a smidge less than that. And it was good enough. And that should be good enough for them to win or tie more nights than not.

Old
11-10-2003, 07:32 PM
Cujo_31

Quote:
When will people start to admit that the defence is lackluster? I'm not comparing Salo and Conklin. I'm saying neither goalie is given a chance go play up to their standards, because our defenceman have yet to play one solid game this year as a group. One game Eric will be our best dman, and the next he will look like Tom Poti without the offence.

Salo has been poor but not terrible by any stretch. Team defence has inflating his bad stats, and the case will be the same for Conklin if things don't change. Conklin had a good game, I'm not going to take that away from him, but I would be worried about going into the playoffs right now with the way our team is currently playing.

well the Mike Comrie situation has to have had some effect on that, plus we're still adjusting without Janne Niinimaa who was dealt at the deadline last year, I think people seem to be forgetting that...Janne was one of our best d-man the last few years, & Brewer hasn't been spectacular, he's starting to come on a little bit, but still hasn't emerged as our top d-man, consistently game in -game out..but I believe just give the defense a little more time & we'll get better, especially as soon as the Comrie situation is in the past...the Oilers have come thru most of the time when they're facing adversity, it's something they do well, & I believe more then ever the Oilers will come on stronger as the season goes on, & even more-so when Comrie is dealt & everyone can move past it & just concentrate on playing hockey, you gotta realize with all the rumours going around, that every player in the Oilers dressing room, is wondering if they might be packaged up with Mike Comrie in a deal, especially with the uncertainty of the CBA expiring next year, if the UFA age is lowered to 27, Smytty could be a UFA after next year, at this point ANYTHING can happen, and when the Comrie ordeal is finally over, everyone that is still on the team in the post-comrie era will be performing much better.

Old
11-10-2003, 07:36 PM
Oiltalk

I was trying to emphasize the Oilers dire need for defence. Didn't quite get that out when I posted this thread. I could care less about the Conklin vs. Salo debate. It just gets frustrating watching our goalies helplessly flopping around while an opposing team has 4 or 5 wacks at the puck.

Old
11-10-2003, 07:39 PM
Oiltalk

Quote:
well the Mike Comrie situation has to have had some effect on that, plus we're still adjusting without Janne Niinimaa who was dealt at the deadline last year, I think people seem to be forgetting that...Janne was one of our best d-man the last few years, & Brewer hasn't been spectacular, he's starting to come on a little bit, but still hasn't emerged as our top d-man, consistently game in -game out..but I believe just give the defense a little more time & we'll get better, especially as soon as the Comrie situation is in the past...the Oilers have come thru most of the time when they're facing adversity, it's something they do well, & I believe more then ever the Oilers will come on stronger as the season goes on, & even more-so when Comrie is dealt & everyone can move past it & just concentrate on playing hockey, you gotta realize with all the rumours going around, that every player in the Oilers dressing room, is wondering if they might be packaged up with Mike Comrie in a deal, especially with the uncertainty of the CBA expiring next year, if the UFA age is lowered to 27, Smytty could be a UFA after next year, at this point ANYTHING can happen, and when the Comrie ordeal is finally over, everyone that is still on the team in the post-comrie era will be performing much better.
With all the forwards in the organization, it would be nice to see Lowe trade Comrie for a dman. After Semenov and Bergeron things look awfully scarce.

Old
11-10-2003, 07:47 PM
cram

Quote:
Didn't Smytty sign a 2 or 3 year deal?? Nothing will make him an UFA until that contract expires.

Old
11-10-2003, 08:26 PM
hockeyaddict101

Conklin was average tonight

Quote:

and I would agree that Conklin should get more slack than Salo but a bad goal is a bad goal and the fourth goal was an AHL goal, shouldn't have went in.

Old
11-10-2003, 08:32 PM
Patch101

Send a message via ICQ to Patch101 Send a message via AIM to Patch101 Send a message via Yahoo to Patch101
I've got nothing against how Conks played today.

36 shots, 0.889 average not bad not great. Plus, He outplayed Dunham.
Give him a few more games.

SM

Old
11-10-2003, 08:42 PM
Hemmer

Heck, I was happy seeing some frickin exhuberance and emotion from our netminder for the first time in forever. Salo does everything like he's on Valium - he looks asleep half the time. At least Ty got mad on that one goal. Shows character and a desire to win.

Old
11-10-2003, 09:43 PM
Cujo_31

Quote:
Originally Posted by cram
Didn't Smytty sign a 2 or 3 year deal?? Nothing will make him an UFA until that contract expires.
Smytty signed a 2 year deal...obviously this is the first year of that...but the NHLPA apparently wants the UFA age lowered to 27, rumours have said it could be either 27 or 29 in the new CBA, if it's 27, Smytty would be a UFA after the end of his current contract. Smyth is 27 right now & was born Feb. 21st, meaning he'll turn 28 by the start of the next season, & he'll be 29 by the end of July 1st 2005, meaning if the UFA age is lowered to even 29 from the current 31, he'll be a UFA.

Closed Thread