HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Sather keeps heat on refs

Closed Thread

Old
11-10-2003, 02:50 AM
KING

vCash: 500
Sather keeps heat on refs

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/ho...p-120489c.html

Old
11-10-2003, 04:12 AM
John Flyers Fan

Ahhh, it was the refs fault the Rangers were dominated for the 2nd & 3rd periods.

Old
11-10-2003, 04:19 AM
JR#9*

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Flyers Fan
Ahhh, it was the refs fault the Rangers were dominated for the 2nd & 3rd periods.
No but a PP with 6 minutes left, maybe even a major for an attempt to injure may have had a significant effect on just who won that 1-1 game in the 3rd.

And the ONE time Kovalev actually draws a call they get him for diving??Refs calls are part of the game but Kovalev gets mugged and doesn't go down and never gets the call.For him to get whistled for a dive is a joke and Fedoruk's run at Nedved was as blatant as it get's.

Old
11-10-2003, 04:22 AM
Jackson Ranger

Quote:
No, the Flyers did a great job forechecking after the first period and deserved to win.

But, besides the two calls Sather talked about, I saw more obstruction away from the play than I have seen all year. And the team doing the majority of it was the Flyers. I guesss Hitchcock's system was working wonderfully after the first.

Old
11-10-2003, 04:24 AM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR#9
And the ONE time Kovalev actually draws a call they get him for diving??
My effin' question is how does one dive on a slash?

The refs were not to blame for the loss to Philly. But JR is right. Kovy has been getting mugged all year and nothing has been called. And had it been Lindros who did what Fedourouk did, you can bet that a major would have been assesed (remember Belak last year).

Old
11-10-2003, 04:39 AM
John Flyers Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue
My effin' question is how does one dive on a slash?

The refs were not to blame for the loss to Philly. But JR is right. Kovy has been getting mugged all year and nothing has been called. And had it been Lindros who did what Fedourouk did, you can bet that a major would have been assesed (remember Belak last year).
The slash was a nothing slash, and all of a sudden a stride and a half laster Kovalev collapses behind the net. It was a dive and a bad one.

As for Lindros, they missed more than a few calls on him. He drilled Fedoruk in the head with an elbow, and the Rangers ended up with the PP.

Old
11-10-2003, 05:57 AM
ddheyman

Quote:
The slash was a nothing slash, and all of a sudden a stride and a half laster Kovalev collapses behind the net. It was a dive and a bad one.

As for Lindros, they missed more than a few calls on him. He drilled Fedoruk in the head with an elbow, and the Rangers ended up with the PP.
A slash is a slash ... who are you to determine whether or not it caused him to fall. He got hit on the back of the leg ... hard to fake it when you don't know its coming ... I suppose next you're going to tell me Nedved dove as well when fedoruk leg wipped him ...

Old
11-10-2003, 05:58 AM
#37-#93-#27*

Send a message via AIM to #37-#93-#27*
Quote:
I didn't see it that way. I thought the Rangers played better then the Flyers in the second then were owned in the third.

Old
11-10-2003, 06:01 AM
John Flyers Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddheyman
A slash is a slash ... who are you to determine whether or not it caused him to fall. He got hit on the back of the leg ... hard to fake it when you don't know its coming ... I suppose next you're going to tell me Nedved dove as well when fedoruk leg wipped him ...
If the slash is hard enough to make you fall, you go down right away. You don't go another 8 feet and then collapse.

I can't comment much on the Nedved/Fedoruk thing, because you couldn't really see it on the TV, and they never showed a good replay.

I will mention that a Mironov slash on the first shift put Gagne out for the game, and have failed to see any Rangers fan mention that or see Sather bring that up.

The fewer penalties called both ways is a benefit to the Rangers. Flyers currently have the 2nd best PP & 2nd best PK units in the league.

The more the game is spent on special teams would have only favored the Flyers.

Old
11-10-2003, 06:03 AM
John Flyers Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by #37-#93-#27
I didn't see it that way. I thought the Rangers played better then the Flyers in the second then were owned in the third.

Rangers had just 4 shots in the 2nd period and 3 of them happened in a 20 stretch with about 5 minutes remaining in the period.

Old
11-10-2003, 06:16 AM
#37-#93-#27*

Send a message via AIM to #37-#93-#27*
Quote:
Rangers had just 4 shots in the 2nd period and 3 of them happened in a 20 stretch with about 5 minutes remaining in the period.
They also had 4 shots in the third and they were clearly dominated. I didn't know the stats to be honest but stats can be misleading specially ones you're using for argument. I'm just saying from what I saw live, the Rangers were the better team in the second period.

Old
11-10-2003, 06:23 AM
John Flyers Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by #37-#93-#27
They also had 4 shots in the third and they were clearly dominated. I didn't know the stats to be honest but stats can be misleading specially ones you're using for argument. I'm just saying from what I saw live, the Rangers were the better team in the second period.
I would have to disagree there, the Flyers began taking over in the 2nd period and were the better team IMO.

It wasn't domination like the 3rd period was, but I clearly thought that they were the better team.

Old
11-10-2003, 06:23 AM
True Blue

Quote:
John, I have not blamed the refs for the loss. However, ever since Messier ripped the refs a few years ago, the calls have been blatantly one sided. Not just in last night's game. During the game against the 'Canes, the refs, the calls were as one-sided as it gets. The Ranges were called for every little infraction, both real and imaginary. However, the 'Canes players committed obstruction all over the ice and nothing got called on them.
During the Philly game, there is no doubt that after a Hitch tirade, Philly completely outplayed us. The Rangers were outshot 21-6 after the first period. I do not think that anyone is denying that Philly got what they deserved and the Rangers got what they deserved. However, that does not change the fact that once again, the calls that were made or not made favored a team other than the Rangers. I was at the game. It may not have been apparent to you, but Fedoruk's leg on leg was similar to the hits that got Marchment his ten suspensions. It was in plain sight and pretty obvious. Yet no call was made. The diving call on Kovalev was the first time that I have ever seen a diving call get made on a slash. And a even more blatant example happened during the 2nd period. Kasperitis's stick was stuck in the skate of a Flyer player. They tried to untangle and while the stick was still stuck IN THE SKATE, the Flyer player two-handedly slashed Kasper. It happened right in front of 2 refs. It could not have been more blatant. Yet no call was made. Seemingly, the refs are looking for every reason to call a penalty on the Rangers and conviently turn their backs when a penalty is being committed against the Ragners. Seemigly, during games the Ragners are the only team committing obstruction penalties.

Old
11-10-2003, 06:29 AM
John Flyers Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue
And a even more blatant example happened during the 2nd period. Kasperitis's stick was stuck in the skate of a Flyer player. They tried to untangle and while the stick was still stuck IN THE SKATE, the Flyer player two-handedly slashed Kasper. It happened right in front of 2 refs. It could not have been more blatant. Yet no call was made. Seemingly, the refs are looking for every reason to call a penalty on the Rangers and conviently turn their backs when a penalty is being committed against the Ragners. Seemigly, during games the Ragners are the only team committing obstruction penalties.

It was Pitkanen who took the slash when the stick was stuck in his skate. He was clearly tripped on the play and the stick stuck in his skate.

Either they call the trip & the slash or nothing, they chose nothing.

Were their some calls they could have made on the Flyers? Yes.

Were there calls they missed the Rangers away as well? Yes.

I thought the reffing was better since they actually let the players play the game, instead of whisting every cheap call, and have the entire game determined on special teams.

The refs tried eveything they coud to ruin the Flyers/Devils game a week ago, calling every tick-tack thing in sight.

Old
11-10-2003, 06:29 AM
JR#9*

Quote:

The fewer penalties called both ways is a benefit to the Rangers. Flyers currently have the 2nd best PP & 2nd best PK units in the league.

The more the game is spent on special teams would have only favored the Flyers.
Yeah, a Ranger PP with 6 minutes left in a 1-1 game would've been a terrible situation for the FRangers! Call me crazy but I would've taken my cjances with having more guys on the ice than the other team, especially when their badly outplaying us.

Old
11-10-2003, 06:33 AM
John Flyers Fan

Quote:
Yeah, a Ranger PP with 6 minutes left in a 1-1 game would've been a terrible situation for the FRangers! Call me crazy but I would've taken my chances with having more guys on the ice than the other team, especially when their badly outplaying us.
That was far from the only missed call in the game.

Old
11-10-2003, 06:36 AM
True Blue

Quote:
It was Pitkanen who took the slash when the stick was stuck in his skate. He was clearly tripped on the play and the stick stuck in his skate.

Either they call the trip & the slash or nothing, they chose nothing.
That's not the way I saw it. I was there. Wether or not Kasper tripped him or the stick was accidentaly in the skate is murky at best. However, the slash was clear cut. A call should have been made.

Old
11-10-2003, 06:44 AM
JR#9*

Quote:
That was far from the only missed call in the game.
No, but it was by FAR the most obvious!!!

Look John, the Flyers were the better team on Saturday and deserved the W and you've been here long enough to know that the regulars here aren't ones to pin much blame of the refs but some things such as Fedoruk taking out Nedveds leg in a 1-1 game w/6 minutes left is a bit much to bare sometimes.

The Flyers looked impressive but as the season wears on I have no doubt that we can match up well with them and even beat them at their own defensive game as I think Dunham will be the factor that puts us in a favorable spot when matched up against you guys.I'd love to see a 7 game matchup.

Old
11-10-2003, 06:47 AM
John Flyers Fan

Quote:

The Flyers looked impressive but as the season wears on I have no doubt that we can match up well with them and even beat them at their own defensive game as I think Dunham will be the factor that puts us in a favorable spot when matched up against you guys.I'd love to see a 7 game matchup.

I would also welcome a 7 game series. Your team defense is slightly improved, but we still dominated your team down low once we got a decent forecheck going.

Old
11-10-2003, 07:02 AM
JR#9*

Quote:
I would also welcome a 7 game series. Your team defense is slightly improved, but we still dominated your team down low once we got a decent forecheck going.
Leetch getting his legs under him once he gets warmed up and having him out there almost 1/2 the game will help bigtime in that department and on the flip side that is even more so a Flyer weekness with that immobile defense and lack of guys who make the solid 1st pass.

The NYR's are still very much a work in progress and obviously Hitch is one of the best at playing the trap but as the Blueshirts get more and more comfortable in playing the defensive game I think we'll be more then fine and if there is one team I'd be worried about matching up with it would be the Sens and all their speed.

Old
11-10-2003, 07:07 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:

Come on John. Kovalev was a stride ahead of Primeau and then Keith does a two hand pitching wedge to Kovalev's ankle.

And the most appalling play was the legging by Fedoruk on Nedved. That's how careers end. And Captain Kangaroo pats Fedoruk on the back. Nice job Toddy, you get your raw meat tonight.

11-10-2003, 07:12 AM
John Flyers Fan

Quote:
Leetch getting his legs under him once he gets warmed up and having him out there almost 1/2 the game will help bigtime in that department and on the flip side that is even more so a Flyer weekness with that immobile defense and lack of guys who make the solid 1st pass.

The NYR's are still very much a work in progress and obviously Hitch is one of the best at playing the trap but as the Blueshirts get more and more comfortable in playing the defensive game I think we'll be more then fine and if there is one team I'd be worried about matching up with it would be the Sens and all their speed.

#1. Yes Leetch isn't quite Leetch yet, but we were missing Desjardins our best defenseman.

One thing out defense isn't is immobile. If anything the thing we lack is a big physical defenseman ala Stevens, Hatcher etc.

Desjardins, Johnsson, Pitkanen, Ragnarsson and Weinrich can all move the puck, and are good passers.

I also agree that Ottawa is by far the scariest match-up in the league.

IMO Ottawa & the Devils are tought match-ups for the Flyers than any team in the league, including the Western Conference.

Most important thing for the Flyers is the special teams. With Hitch we will always be very good 5-on-5, but last year our PP was horrid and OK is was only good. So far PP & PK have both been great, if that continues we will be a very very difficult team to beat.

Old
11-10-2003, 07:16 AM
John Flyers Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway
Come on John. Kovalev was a stride ahead of Primeau and then Keith does a two hand pitching wedge to Kovalev's ankle.

And the most appalling play was the legging by Fedoruk on Nedved. That's how careers end. And Captain Kangaroo pats Fedoruk on the back. Nice job Toddy, you get your raw meat tonight.
Primeau was truning away from Kovalev, it was a nothing slash, he didn't drop to the ground until two strides later when he noticed Vanmassenhoven was in the vicinity.

Again the tv didn't caprture the Fedoruk incidinet. Fedoruk has been playing the entire year since we've had injuries, but which coach re-arranged his entire line-up to put a goon on the ice Saturday ???

Again very convenient to forget that the only infranction that caused a player to miss any game time (Nedved & Kovalev were just fine) was the slash by Mironov on Gagne, that put him out for the game. Hmmmm no call on that one

Closed Thread