HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Late post...Koivu shows some leadership

Closed Thread

Old
11-10-2003, 06:01 AM
Joe Cole

vCash: 500
Late post...Koivu shows some leadership

I was away for the weekend but I saw they hi lights. Koivu laying the check on Satan and then scrapping with Brown. I really appreciated that show of leadership. It reminded me of that first game that Gilmour played with the Habs, when he took out a player after a late dirty hit.

So, can anyone fill me in about the context of this Koivu incident? Did it bring some energy to the team? How was his overall game?

Thanks

Old
11-10-2003, 06:48 AM
gted85

With Koivu back in the lineup the team played more inspired hockey. He brings an element of leadership that was not there before. Hopefully this was his only injury for the year and can play the rest of the season without health being a concern.

Old
11-10-2003, 07:10 AM
mcphee

Koivo clearly showed what leadership was about Saturday. Leadership is what you do on the ice, the example you set, moreso than what you say in the room. Similar to Calvillo on the field yesterday. Henri Richard had little to say but was a great leader. Did anyone notice that Zednik plays a different game when Koivu is present ?

Old
11-10-2003, 07:18 AM
Dynasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee
Koivo clearly showed what leadership was about Saturday. Leadership is what you do on the ice, the example you set, moreso than what you say in the room. Similar to Calvillo on the field yesterday. Henri Richard had little to say but was a great leader. Did anyone notice that Zednik plays a different game when Koivu is present ?
Agree 100%!!!!!...and that's why I think Ryder is a leader, especially considering he's still very young!!

Old
11-10-2003, 07:29 AM
Munchausen
Full Time A-hole

Quote:
I agree. I never understood Koivu's badmouthers saying he's not a good captain. For what? Because we didn't win with him? This is the most ridiculous argument in hockey.

What we saw of Koivu in those 2 games, hitting, letting down the gloves, talking with emotion to Kilger, regrouping the players, etc. That's what Koivu is all about. The others seem to be clearly following his lead on the ice and that to me is a sign of respect toward his leading abilities.

Koivu is our best center and a good captain. No matter what the whinners can say. He showed more than any other time why we need him on the team.

Old
11-10-2003, 09:09 AM
Quagmier

Quote:
Did anyone notice that Zednik plays a different game when Koivu is present ?
Everyone plays a different game with Koivu around, his example gets those who were previously uninspired off their a$$es.

we are a different team when our leader is there.

Old
11-10-2003, 09:29 AM
Kirk Muller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munchausen
I agree. I never understood Koivu's badmouthers saying he's not a good captain. For what? Because we didn't win with him? This is the most ridiculous argument in hockey.
I think the problem is people equate Koivu's not being a major media mogul for someone who doesn't say much. Nobody aside from his teammates knows what happens in the dressing room, and how much he speaks his mind. Honestly, just from the type person Koivu appears to be, he seems like kind of guy to take a player aside and talk to them, not make a huge pre game speech.

Also, I agree the winning argument is ridiculous. A leader is only as good as his troops, and frankly Koivu doesn't have the troops that you go to battle with. Perreault, Brisebois, Ribeiro, Audette are not winners and not coachable players.

When people talk about leaders, they think Messier, but if winning is a requirement, is he considered a good leader anymore. His trip to Vancouver was a disaster much like his return to broadway.

Old
11-10-2003, 04:08 PM
Biff Malibu

vCash:
I don't get to see many Habs games each year because I live in London (2 hours from Toronto so you can imagine), but I had the priviledge of going to Buffalo for the return of Saku Koivu. It is one of my greatest memories, I'll never forget the sea of rouge, blanc, et bleu surrounding the cut-way chanting "saku, saku, saku" when he came out for pre-game warm-ups. Saku, of course was smiling away as he was skating around the ice, it was amazing to see.

The game was much of what you guys are describing from Saturday night. He was fired up, hitting everything, setting up plays, just setting the tone for the team. Doing everything a leader should. I was VERY impressed! Too bad the Habs lost that game 2-1, Noronen really stole it for the Sabres, the Habs out-shot them 37-17!!!!!

Old
11-10-2003, 04:18 PM
Howie Morenz

The look on Satan's face was priceless. He had the" I'm a star and I'm not suppose to get hit like that" look on his face.

Old
11-10-2003, 04:47 PM
tinyzombies

Koivu is definitely a good captain. You have to be a good captain to last this long in Montreal.

He also knows how to set the tone and make a statement and he backs his words up.

A great leader, eh?

Old
11-10-2003, 05:05 PM
Corey

For the 7 games just before Koivu's return the so-called first line was a bowl of soggy noodles. At least on Saturday night there was real electricity. I wish Ryder would get the opportunity to play RW on a line with Koivu and Zednik.

Closed Thread