HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Newsday: NYI payroll article/possible moves

Closed Thread

Old
11-10-2003, 05:23 AM
CREW99AW

vCash: 500
Newsday: NYI payroll article/possible moves

Big Peca posted this article on the nyi board.
http://www.newsday.com/sports/hocke...ports-headlines

Newsday's Hahn(who unfortunately has become shill for the nyi front office),has a new article about impending payroll moves.

Hahn writes the isles WILL NOT move Yashin,Peca or any of their top four so long as the team's still in the playoff race.

So please,spare us nyi fans your underwhelming offers such as:

Peca for you 3rd liner,Niinimma for your team's soft 20 goal scorer or Hamrlik or your 27 yr old AHL star

Weimer's at the top of the isles list to be moved.Dallas is mentioned as a possible destination.Parrish is 2nd on their list.

I'm not sure if that means they are looking to move both Weimer+Parrish or if they move Weimer,then Parrish stays

another consideration is that after jacking up tix prices 2 yrs in a row and seeing empty seats,the nyi trying to lure fans back, have announced they will have new tix offers for fans.

Thurs game against the Habs is the first.I think their offer is fans buying 1 tix 1-2 hrs before the game,gets another tix free.

Old
11-10-2003, 05:42 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by CREW99AW
Big Peca posted this article on the nyi board.
http://www.newsday.com/sports/hocke...ports-headlines

Newsday's Hahn(who unfortunately has become shill for the nyi front office),has a new article about impending payroll moves.

Hahn writes the isles WILL NOT move Yashin,Peca or any of their top four so long as the team's still in the playoff race.

So please,spare us nyi fans your underwhelming offers such as:

Peca for you 3rd liner,Niinimma for your team's soft 20 goal scorer or Hamrlik or your 27 yr old AHL star

Weimer's at the top of the isles list to be moved.Dallas is mentioned as a possible destination.Parrish is 2nd on their list.

I'm not sure if that means they are looking to move both Weimer+Parrish or if they move Weimer,then Parrish stays

another consideration is that after jacking up tix prices 2 yrs in a row and seeing empty seats,the nyi trying to lure fans back, have announced they will have new tix offers for fans.

Thurs game against the Habs is the first.I think their offer is fans buying 1 tix 1-2 hrs before the game,gets another tix free.
Would that be: Isles Slashing Payroll? ?

Quote:
That leaves a group of mid-level salaried forwards such as Wiemer ($1.6 million) and Mark Parrish ($2.35 million) up for grabs. A team source confirmed this to Newsday, and said potential moves have no connection to the team's box-office slump this season.

"Some guys might go, but it has to do with production, not attendance," the source said. "Wiemer is a leading candidate and Parrish is a secondary candidate." Add defenseman Eric Cairns ($900,000), who will be a Group V unrestricted free agent after this season, to that list. According to a person with knowledge of the situation, the front office is growing less inclined with leaving demoted veteran Mattias Timander ($1.2 million) with Bridgeport much longer.

Old
11-10-2003, 05:54 AM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot
Would that be: Isles Slashing Payroll? ?

replacing young vets with cheaper rookies sure sounds like payroll slashing.

Isles can't put that spin on it though.

Newsday says that by the end of Nov,the current NJ Nets owners are expected to have picked the new owner.Newsday reports Wang's offered somewhere between $200m-$250m for the NJ Nets.

How does Wang explain to nyi tix buyers that he can spend $200m-$250m on a basketball team,but needs to slash nyi payroll by $2.5m-$5m?

Old
11-10-2003, 06:08 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
replacing young vets with cheaper rookies sure sounds like payroll slashing.

Isles can't put that spin on it though.

Newsday says that by the end of Nov,the current NJ Nets owners are expected to have picked the new owner.Newsday reports Wang's offered somewhere between $200m-$250m for the NJ Nets.

How does Wang explain to nyi tix buyers that he can spend $200m-$250m on a basketball team,but needs to slash nyi payroll by $2.5m-$5m?
Is it the exchange rate? I had no idea that 2.5 million in NY would translate to 200 million in Jersey... time to make a roadtrip.

Old
11-10-2003, 06:17 AM
DarkHorse
Go Banana!

I think we might see Wiemer go to Dallas for Manny Malhotra.

Malhotra is something of a younger, slightly cheaper version of Wiemer, and Dallas gets a bit tougher up front.

Old
11-10-2003, 06:27 AM
Mr. Canucklehead
Mod Supervisor
Kitimat Canuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot
Would that be: That leaves a group of mid-level salaried forwards such as Wiemer ($1.6 million) and Mark Parrish ($2.35 million) up for grabs. A team source confirmed this to Newsday, and said potential moves have no connection to the team's box-office slump this season.

"Some guys might go, but it has to do with production, not attendance," the source said. "Wiemer is a leading candidate and Parrish is a secondary candidate." Add defenseman Eric Cairns ($900,000), who will be a Group V unrestricted free agent after this season, to that list. According to a person with knowledge of the situation, the front office is growing less inclined with leaving demoted veteran Mattias Timander ($1.2 million) with Bridgeport much longer.
I'd be interested in Eric Cairns...Vancouver could use a good scrapper.

~Canucklehead~

11-10-2003, 06:27 AM
NFITO
hockeyinsanity*****

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkHorse
I think we might see Wiemer go to Dallas for Manny Malhotra.

Malhotra is something of a younger, slightly cheaper version of Wiemer, and Dallas gets a bit tougher up front.
where does Malhotra fit in, in NYI?

he's a 4th line center... do they have a need for one?

also what's his current salary?

I have heard that the Stars aren't happy with Malhotra, and he hasn't seen too much icetime there... so maybe this makes sense for Dallas... but would there be interest on the Island for Manny?

Old
11-10-2003, 06:32 AM
NFITO
hockeyinsanity*****

Quote:
Originally Posted by canucklehead17

~Canucklehead~
I doubt the Canucks have any interest in Cairns... where does he play?

our defense is already 7 deep... adding another dman would force us to send one of our dmen to the minors - Allen is the only one that can go without clearing waivers, and he is now a part of the regular rotation.

Slegr has been playing well, and Crow had even said he didn't want to take him out of the lineup, but had no choice with Allen's return (which speaks volumes about what he thinks of Allen right now!).

I don't see any changes happening to our defense anytime soon - barring an injury... our roster is already full as is - our only players that dont' have to worry about waivers are Allen and King - and neither is going to be sent down... other than that, we're at our limit of 23 players, and everyone's playing well.

Old
11-10-2003, 06:36 AM
DarkHorse
Go Banana!

Malhotra makes 1.05, Wiemer 1.65...small savings, but in long run, Wiemer is 27, Malhotra is 23.

The Isles are using Justin Mapletoft on the 4th line right now, but he doesn't have to clear waivers, which is a bonus, as it would help clear up some logjam among the Isles forwards.

(when injuries heal)
Kvasha - Yashin - Czerkawski
Blake - Peca - Parrish
Bergenheim - Scatchard - Hunter
Papineau - Malhotra - Bates/Godard

(For now)
Papineau - Peca - Parrish
Bergenheim - Bates - Hunter
Asham - Malhotra - Godard

Old
11-10-2003, 06:40 AM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Malhotra makes 1.05, Wiemer 1.65...small savings, but in long run, Wiemer is 27, Malhotra is 23.

The Isles are using Justin Mapletoft on the 4th line right now, but he doesn't have to clear waivers, which is a bonus, as it would help clear up some logjam among the Isles forwards.

(when injuries heal)
Blake - Peca - Parrish
Bergenheim - Scatchard - Hunter
Papineau - Malhotra - Bates/Godard

(For now)
Papineau - Peca - Parrish
Bergenheim - Bates - Hunter
Asham - Malhotra - Godard
Where's Weinhandl's spot?

Sterling's indicated that Weinhandl's got a spot waiting for him when his rehab assignment's done.He played his first game of the season this past weekend for Bridgeport.

Old
11-10-2003, 06:42 AM
pb1300
BLEED RED

Send a message via Yahoo to pb1300
Florida would be happy to have Parrish back. I would say Huselius for Parrish, but I am real hesitant to see Kristian go, now that he will get that confidence and ice time back.

Old
11-10-2003, 06:42 AM
DarkHorse
Go Banana!

Stirling said Weinhandl had a spot before Bergenheim and Hunter showed they are everynight players. I don't know if that spot is still there, considering that Weinhandl doesn't pass through waivers.

Old
11-10-2003, 06:43 AM
Seph

Send a message via AIM to Seph
Quote:
Originally Posted by canucklehead17

~Canucklehead~

how about...
wiemer + cairns for Allen + 4th
---Van takes on about 1.5million

actually, the team I think Wiemer would fit the best on would be the Pens. Trade is unlikely as they are not looking to increase payroll, even from their ridiculously payroll, and they are within the division although not likely to be in any direct competition with Isles for a while. However, I think his leadership and defensive play would be invaluable for a young team attempting to play a more defensive style with so few two-way forwards .

Wiemer for Melichar
---Pens take on about .9million
(edit: actually on second thought, considering Pitt's defensive depth, this probably wouldn't help. I'd add a defenseman from the Isles, but I'm sure they don't want to take on any more salary. Looks like the Isles and Pens aren't much of trade partners... but I still think Wiemer would be perfect the Pens)

Old
11-10-2003, 06:53 AM
Peter Griffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seph
how about...
How about no? The Canucks would have no interest in that deal.

Old
11-10-2003, 06:54 AM
NFITO
hockeyinsanity*****

Quote:
how about...
I wouldn't do this deal from the Canucks POV.

Cairns is a UFA after this season, and Wiemer is a nice player, but doesn't really address any holes in our lineup.

Allen is young, improving and is finally a regular in our lineup and playing well.

Old
11-10-2003, 06:56 AM
Seph

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuckfan in TO
I wouldn't do this deal from the Canucks POV.

Cairns is a UFA after this season, and Wiemer is a nice player, but doesn't really address any holes in our lineup.

Allen is young, improving and is finally a regular in our lineup and playing well.
my mistake, I was under the impression that canuck fans were pretty down on Allen, and was responding to the posters interest in improving team toughness.

Old
11-10-2003, 07:00 AM
NFITO
hockeyinsanity*****

Quote:
my mistake, I was under the impression that canuck fans were pretty down on Allen, and was responding to the posters interest in improving team toughness.
I think there is some concern from posters about team toughness... but those posters also mentioned it would have to be a cheap true enforcer, who is willing to play a part time role... a #14 forward.

I don't think they were prepared to give up Allen for such a player though...

a Langdon type really...

Old
11-10-2003, 07:03 AM
Seph

fair enough. i was just thinking out loud, really. neither idea works, i don't think.

Old
11-10-2003, 07:37 AM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Stirling said Weinhandl had a spot before Bergenheim and Hunter showed they are everynight players. I don't know if that spot is still there, considering that Weinhandl doesn't pass through waivers.

Weinhandl can pass through waivers.He's been a pro less then 3 yrs.
So can Mapletoft.

It's Hunter and Papineau who'd be at risk of being grabbed off waivers.

and Weinhandl's coming off 23 pts in 47 nhl games as a rookie.He's shown a willingness to get his nose dirty,fighting for the puck.

Papineau gets knocked off the puck too easily,won't take a hit to score.The same reasons the Blues gave up on him.
Hunter+Bergenhein at least bring a physical game if they aren't getting on the score sheet.

Hunter:8 games,6 goals,2 assists
Bergenheim:11 games,1 goals,1 assist
Papineau:12 games,0 goals,2 assists.

Are you saying the isles should let Weinhandl go to waste in the ahl so they don't have to risk losing the unproductive Papineau?

Old
11-10-2003, 07:49 AM
DarkHorse
Go Banana!

Quote:
Weinhandl can pass through waivers.He's been a pro less then 3 yrs.
So can Mapletoft.
I said Weinhandl doesn't pass through waivers. I meant he just gets demoted, no waivers involved. Which is why we can keep him in the AHL so he plays more and is still available.

Quote:
Are you saying the isles should let Weinhandl go to waste in the ahl so they don't have to risk losing the unproductive Papineau?
Considering he's only 21 and its only his second year playing north american hockey and is coming off an injury that sidelined him for half a year, I don't consider his playing in the AHL as a waste.

But I would leave him there and hope Papineau works his way out of his current play.

Old
11-10-2003, 08:05 AM
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb1300
Florida would be happy to have Parrish back. I would say Huselius for Parrish, but I am real hesitant to see Kristian go, now that he will get that confidence and ice time back.
I can't imagine the Isles would want Huselius and his soft indifferent play anyway.

Hahn is a fairly reliable source. If he says Wiemer and Parrish are on the table, they probably are.

In some ways, this exposes the double standard in the Isles system. Peca has not played well at all this season, with 2 goals in his first 13 games. The Isles have had only three forwards (Parrish, Hunter, and Bates) outside the first line who have been any threat at all to score. So, what do they do: Start making noise about moving one of the three?

Not that I'd be opposed to moving Parrish and/or Wiemer. I'd just want to see the return being useful players.

11-10-2003, 08:27 AM
disles1

Well Darth--after our "debate" last Fri it looks as though the isles will indeed cut payroll---and sooner than either you or I expected. But one thing you were off on was saying Wang had ALREADY had the payroll factored in for this year--when Hahn has said that the isles are 7 MILLION OVER PAYROLL. Include the bad attendance and you have a team looking to shed payroll. I would not mind seeing Weimer go --I think he can be replaced but the isles cannot just cut him--that sends a very bad message to the fans, especially when you consider what we traded to get him. Now would you rather trade Parrish for Gauthier and a pick and keep Weimer or waive Weimer for nothing.

Old
11-10-2003, 08:27 AM
CREW99AW

Quote:
I said Weinhandl doesn't pass through waivers. I meant he just gets demoted, no waivers involved. Which is why we can keep him in the AHL so he plays more and is still available.

Considering he's only 21 and its only his second year playing north american hockey and is coming off an injury that sidelined him for half a year, I don't consider his playing in the AHL as a waste.

But I would leave him there and hope Papineau works his way out of his current play.

Weinhandl's 22 and he was not sidelined for half a yr.He went to Bridgeport for several weeks after a slow start on LI,then again later in the yr on a rehab assignment.

He played 47 nhl games last yr and produced 23 pts as a rookie.

Papineau's got 2 assists thru 12 games after being unable to stick in the nhl the past 2 yrs.He's got something like 2 goals,13 assists over that 2+yr period

Here a novel idea.

How about rewarding the player who has produced at the nhl level?

Old
11-10-2003, 09:07 AM
Frenzy1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Milbury
In some ways, this exposes the double standard in the Isles system. Peca has not played well at all this season, with 2 goals in his first 13 games. The Isles have had only three forwards (Parrish, Hunter, and Bates) outside the first line who have been any threat at all to score. So, what do they do: Start making noise about moving one of the three?

Not that I'd be opposed to moving Parrish and/or Wiemer. I'd just want to see the return being useful players.
I think Parrish (maybe not Wiemer) will bring a stronger return then a player like Peca. (There is more demand for a top 4 Winger then top 2 defensive Center at this time - that may change as we get closed to the playoffs).

Peca has only put of 60 pts once in his carear (1st year w/ the Islanders). He isn't a forward that will score a lot of goals, (20-25) is what is expected. He known more for his defensive play then his O. Right now there are more teams looking for scoring help then a solid two way centers (especially when you take into consideration the contract $$$$).

I would expect that the return on Parrish (if traded) to be very good, not what would be expected in a salary dump move.

Old
11-10-2003, 09:11 AM
DarkHorse
Go Banana!

Quote:
Weinhandl's 22 and he was not sidelined for half a yr.
Weinhandl last played at the beginning of April before once again playing in November. Between those dates he was on crutches, in a cast and rehabbing at various times. 8 months, more than half a year.

I have no problem with benching Papineau, who I believe has looked awful. I just don't see losing him for nothing by waiving him to bring up a player with development time left a good strategy.

Closed Thread