Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Coach lemaire

Old
07-09-2006, 01:17 PM
wildslip

vCash: 500
Coach lemaire

IS he going to be the right coach for our team this year??? is he goign to let gaborik do his thing... shud he be fired half way thro if he doesn't deliever??

wildslip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2006, 01:33 PM
Pepsi12pac

I personally don't think we'll see quite as much of a defensive minded game this year from the wild. DR has said that Lemaire isn't trying to mold the wild after New Jersey, but is trying to mold it after the Montreal teams that he used to play on.

He has too much firepower now not to take advantage of it, imo.

Pepsi12pac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2006, 01:35 PM
wildslip

hey man welcome to hf ur goign to have a blast hahah

wildslip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2006, 04:49 PM
aylib
User and abuser

Send a message via Yahoo to aylib
Is there a possibility DR lets Lemaire go, or do they come as a package? Now, 5 years from now, whenever.

aylib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2006, 05:01 PM
MuckandGrind

I don't think there is any chance that DR "lets" JL go. IMO, as long as JL wants to remain as head coach he will. For how long that is, is anyone's guess. I don't even think he knows for sure.

MuckandGrind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2006, 06:56 PM
sushinsky4tsar

From what I've been reading, I think a lot of people think that with the moves we've made we're a lock to make the playoffs this year. I disagree. It's probable, but it's no automatic. However, I do believe that if we fail to qualify (and it's not due to a horrible string of injuries), JL will and should step down.

I think winning one series -or- finishing in the top 5-6 & losing a hard fought opening round in 7 games to a cup contender is par for the course this season. Not making the playoffs is entirely unacceptable.

sushinsky4tsar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2006, 07:03 PM
MuckandGrind

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushinsky4tsar View Post
From what I've been reading, I think a lot of people think that with the moves we've made we're a lock to make the playoffs this year. I disagree. It's probable, but it's no automatic. However, I do believe that if we fail to qualify (and it's not due to a horrible string of injuries), JL will and should step down.

I think winning one series -or- finishing in the top 5-6 & losing a hard fought opening round in 7 games to a cup contender is par for the course this season. Not making the playoffs is entirely unacceptable.
While I don't think it's "automatic" the Wild make the playoffs, I think the moves they have made this summer will vault them to the level of a cup contender.

If they don't make the playoffs it could be an extreme disappointment, depending on the circumstances surrounding it.

I think that JL is one of the top 5 coaches in the NHL today. IMO, he WAS the reason the Wild make the playoff run they did a few years back. Now that he has some horses to work with, I think he will do a fantastic job this year preparing the team for postseason success.

MuckandGrind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2006, 10:01 PM
The Big E

Many of the pundits in the hockey world whose opinions I actually value have said that Lemaire is one of the best coaches in the league. He's gets the best out of his players. Aside from Brodeur, Lemieux, Stevens and Niedermaier, the '95 Devils were a pretty untalented bunch. From Daigle actually putting up 50 points to Dupuis doing the same to Kuba making the All-Star team to Rolston scoring at a PPG clip. Bouchard is about to become a PPG player. I admire his coaching ability considering the lack of talent he's had over the years.

Every one of his players knows that if you're not working hard enough, you're in the doghouse. Up to this point the only way we stayed in games was working our frickin' a**es off. We just didn't have the firepower to steal games we didn't deserve to win ala the Red Wings under Scotty Bowman. Hence the plethora of 1-0, 2-1 & 3-2 losses last season. This team has an awesome work ethic. Now add to that some serious firepower ... two lines that will be able to make an offensive impact ... and I think its extremely obvious (at least to me) but worth pointing out that we've never had two impact lines.

I'm certain (and have been for a while) that DR and JL are building a 21st Century version of the 70's Habs. We'll be stingey defensively and dangerous offensively.

With all that said, if we suck this year, Lemaire will likely go. Since you can't change the 23 players who didn't gel into a contender, you change the coach. However, I think this is highly unlikely. In the NW division, Colorado is weaker, Vancouver is rebuilding and Edmonton is D-corps is weaker. We're the team on the upward vector, I believe. Barring the injury bug striking the Wild, its gonna be an exciting year for us.

Playoffs are a total effing crap shoot, so as long as we get there, I'm happy.

The Big E

The Big E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2006, 10:07 PM
firstroundbust
lacks explosiveness

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big E View Post

I'm certain (and have been for a while) that DR and JL are building a 21st Century version of the 70's Habs. We'll be stingey defensively and dangerous offensively.
I agree

and lemaire is coaching immortality, it was a matter of getting him some talent to work with.

firstroundbust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2006, 11:10 PM
Wild Thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big E View Post
I agree too. I've said it for years, these guys have been winning Stanley Cups for over three decades now, and they're not done. They want a whole bunch more. I admit that for the last couple of years, as Doug seemed as though he was too cheap to pay the going rate for talent, my faith has been failing, but every doubt I ever had in that regard has been put to rest over the last two weeks, and I'm once again convinced that these guys are doing exactly what E accuses them of - building a 21st Century clone of the championship machine that taught them the formula for winning Cups.

And I fully believe that you're going to see Jacques' team playing a very different style of hockey this season. He's said a number of times that he was coaching the team to play this tight, defensive style because this is the only way those particular players could win. He's never made a secret of that, and last season when the team started off by winning those high-scoring games against Vancouver and a couple of other teams, Lemaire came right out and said that was the kind of hockey he'd really prefer to play - and that he was willing to let them play it as long as they could win doing it. Unfortunately, they started to lose, and he put the clamps back on, but he made no secret of the fact that he loved that sort of game.

But now that he's got the firepower, I think he's going to make use of it. And I think we're going to start seeing some pretty formidable offensive assaults by our top two lines. And I, for one, can hardly wait until September. This is exactly what I've been waiting for for the last 6 years.

Wild Thing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2006, 09:49 AM
ceber

IMO Lemaire earned a reputation he doesn't deserve from those early Devils seasons. He's wanted more talent to work with on this team for a while, and actually let that be known last season (seems out of character.. he plays things pretty close to the vest). I'm hoping we see what he can do with more talent this season. If things don't go well I would bet he'd walk away before being pushed out.

ceber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2006, 02:44 PM
MN_Gopher

vCash: 2900
JL is good coach. And like all good, or great coaches. You coach your team. He never had high flyers in Minny. So why go up and down. He played to his team strengths. Good goalies and hard workers. It looked ugly but any other style we would have been the worst in the NHL. So now, we will be flying around and winning 5-2 games on a regular basis.

MN_Gopher is offline   Reply With Quote