HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Free Agent Frenzy
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Free Agent Frenzy Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Rangers-Senators Proposal

Closed Thread

Old
11-09-2003, 03:50 PM
ragfan

vCash: 500
Rangers-Senators Proposal

Barnaby for Peter Shafear.

Ottawa: They get want they need, which is a tough SOB who doesn't back down from anybody. Barney has needed a change of scenery sinec the begnning of the season.

Rangers: Get a good 3rd line winger to play on the left side of Holik and play some PK.

Old
11-09-2003, 04:18 PM
Jon Burke

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragfan

Ottawa: They get want they need, which is a tough SOB who doesn't back down from anybody. Barney has needed a change of scenery sinec the begnning of the season.

Rangers: Get a good 3rd line winger to play on the left side of Holik and play some PK.
I could see this happening, but what's Barnaby's salary?

Old
11-09-2003, 04:19 PM
Dr Love

Schafaer on the PK? I always thought the knock on him was his lack of defense.

Old
11-09-2003, 04:23 PM
Patty Roy

I would pass if i was the Sens. Shaeffer (sp?) is a pretty good role player with great wheels. I think that Varada more or less fills the roll that Barnaby would play in Ottawa...

Old
11-09-2003, 04:41 PM
ragfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danrik
I could see this happening, but what's Barnaby's salary?

I don;t think it is more than 1.5 million. In amny csae, their new owner , Eugene Melnyk, has more money then James Dolan, so he could definitely pay Barnaby.

Old
11-09-2003, 04:52 PM
Rodent

Quote:
I don;t think it is more than 1.5 million.
$1,587,000

Old
11-09-2003, 04:55 PM
Jon Burke

vCash:
Quote:
I don;t think it is more than 1.5 million. In amny csae, their new owner , Eugene Melnyk, has more money then James Dolan, so he could definitely pay Barnaby.
Perhaps. I don't know much about Melnyk's wealth, but I do know that he owns an OHL team (St. Michael's, I think) and maybe even a CFL team. So it's a safe bet he has a lot of cash. But that doesn't mean that he'll agree to just throw his money at whatever player that the Sens are offered. We aren't talking about the Rangers here.

That said, $1.5 million isn't an obscene amount for someone like Barnaby. The Sens would love Barnaby's grit, character and agitating ability. He's a pretty good playoff player too, if I recall correctly. That's just the sort of player that the Sens could use more of, IMO.

But it is a good point that Varada is similar to Barnaby and so the Sens might not want Barnaby. That may be true, but I think that the Senators do need to do some minor "tweakings" to win that Cup they so desperately want and adding gritty players like Barnaby would be a wise "tweak", IMHO.

Old
11-09-2003, 05:06 PM
V for Voodoo

Send a message via AIM to V for Voodoo Send a message via MSN to V for Voodoo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Love
Schafaer on the PK? I always thought the knock on him was his lack of defense.
you're definitely thinking of the wrong guy

Old
11-09-2003, 05:08 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:

I don't make this trade at all.

Barnaby has needed a change of scenery? Since the start of the season? According to what? Barnaby has been apart of the Rangers best line game in and game out, has scored some goals and is the ultimate heart and soul player for the Rangers. He is only guy on the Rangers that would do anything to win (score, check, fight). And you want to trade him for an underachiever?

11-09-2003, 05:08 PM
ragfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodent
$1,587,000
I stand corrected

Old
11-09-2003, 05:10 PM
V for Voodoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway
And you want to trade him for an underachiever?
Underachieving? How is that?
Schaefer is not an underachiever in any form of the word. He has a role and he does it well, very well, night in and night out.

Old
11-09-2003, 05:13 PM
Missionhockey

Quote:

Before last season I would have called him a tough SOB but after I heard he cried in the penalty box after a fight (I'm shady on the details but still) my opinion has changed about him.

Old
11-09-2003, 05:17 PM
ragfan

Quote:
I don't make this trade at all.

Barnaby has needed a change of scenery? Since the start of the season? According to what? Barnaby has been apart of the Rangers best line game in and game out, has scored some goals and is the ultimate heart and soul player for the Rangers. He is only guy on the Rangers that would do anything to win (score, check, fight). And you want to trade him for an underachiever?
Since Petrovicky was waived, he hasn't played as well as he did lsat season. It seems as if all of the intensity and passion has left him. Just my honest opinion though.

Old
11-09-2003, 05:17 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voodoo Daddy
Underachieving? How is that?
Schaefer is not an underachiever in any form of the word. He has a role and he does it well, very well, night in and night out.
The guy was a scorer in juniors who simply has not been able to in the pros. He has been a good player on a good team. Take him out of the Sens system and he is not a player who I see helping the Rangers.

Old
11-09-2003, 05:19 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Since Petrovicky was waived, he hasn't played as well as he did lsat season. It seems as if all of the intensity and passion has left him. Just my honest opinion though.
Did you watch the Dallas game? He scored a brilliant goal and got into a fight which jump started a flat Ranger team. He hasn't played well. I'm sorry but do you actually watch the games? Third on the team in scoring with 2 goals and 4 assists.

And you want to trade him for a slightly better defensive Jan Hlavac.

Old
11-09-2003, 05:34 PM
ragfan

Quote:
Did you watch the Dallas game? He scored a brilliant goal and got into a fight which jump started a flat Ranger team. He hasn't played well. I'm sorry but do you actually watch the games? Third on the team in scoring with 2 goals and 4 assists.

And you want to trade him for a slightly better defensive Jan Hlavac.

Whats with the personal attack man? I am just trying to say that Barnaby's talents might be suited elsewhere where he might actually win a cup and make a difference, rahter then get limited ice time with a bunch of albatross players.
Yes I do watch teh games, and I can assure you that I am als a die hard Rangers fan like you are.
And by your logic, if more points means the player's value increases, then Messier is more valuable then Petr Nedved or Eric Lindros?

Old
11-09-2003, 06:04 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Whats with the personal attack man? I am just trying to say that Barnaby's talents might be suited elsewhere where he might actually win a cup and make a difference, rahter then get limited ice time with a bunch of albatross players.
Yes I do watch teh games, and I can assure you that I am als a die hard Rangers fan like you are.
And by your logic, if more points means the player's value increases, then Messier is more valuable then Petr Nedved or Eric Lindros?
There was no personal attack. I simply question whether you watch the games or not.

I could care less if Barnaby wins a Cup anywhere save with the Rangers. I don't make a trade to help Barnaby I make a trade to help the Rangers. And I don't see your proposal helping the Rangers.

Points do not tell the entire story. You are saying he is not playing as well as he did last season. I pointed out that he is third on the team in scoring (ahead of such players as Nedved and Lindros) and I gave you an example of a plays that Barnaby made (the goal and fight against Dallas). I will also add that Baraby is one of few Rangers who plays hard every night, takes pride in sticking up for teammates, and is able to draw penalties. How can you think that the team can give this guy up?

How do you think his play is not as good as last season? What do you really think Schaeffer would bring that Barnaby doesn't?

Old
11-09-2003, 06:31 PM
Winston Wolf

This trade doesn't help either team, IMO. I think Barnaby probably has more value than Schaefer, but I don't think the Sens need a player like Barnaby.

Old
11-09-2003, 06:35 PM
ragfan

Quote:
There was no personal attack. I simply question whether you watch the games or not.

I could care less if Barnaby wins a Cup anywhere save with the Rangers. I don't make a trade to help Barnaby I make a trade to help the Rangers. And I don't see your proposal helping the Rangers.

Points do not tell the entire story. You are saying he is not playing as well as he did last season. I pointed out that he is third on the team in scoring (ahead of such players as Nedved and Lindros) and I gave you an example of a plays that Barnaby made (the goal and fight against Dallas). I will also add that Baraby is one of few Rangers who plays hard every night, takes pride in sticking up for teammates, and is able to draw penalties. How can you think that the team can give this guy up?

How do you think his play is not as good as last season? What do you really think Schaeffer would bring that Barnaby doesn't?
Well, for one, it would help our Pk. Alex Kovalev is playing Pk for christ sake. It would give Holik an actual left winger, and we could actually have a normal checking line. Also, Schaffer is 26 and cheaper then Barnaby.
Listen, I love Barnaby just as much as you do, and I wont't forget what he has done for the Rangers, but in order to get, we have to give.

Old
11-09-2003, 06:43 PM
Hossa

No thanks.

Varada gives us everything Barnaby does, and Varada's playing great this season to boot. As for Schaefer, he's our top PK guy right now (although Fisher is when healthy), and scores big goals at big times. As for this talk of Schaefer being a dissapointment, to some Mike Peca is a dissapointment offensively because he was a junior scoring star. Yet, nobody would say Peca is a dissapointment. Schaefer is not Peca, but just because Schaefer (who could very well score 40-50 points this season) serves a valuable role that doesn't ask for him to produce lots of offence, doesn't make him a dissapointment.

Old
11-09-2003, 06:54 PM
#37-#93-#27*

Send a message via AIM to #37-#93-#27*
Quote:
You are way off base, Barnaby has been one of our most consitent forwards. He's the last person on this team that needs a change of scenery. I don't know what games you've been watching but they certainly have not been Ranger games.

Old
11-09-2003, 07:04 PM
V for Voodoo

Quote:
The guy was a scorer in juniors who simply has not been able to in the pros.
So was Barnaby (and the aforementioned Peca). Specious logic, to be sure.

Old
11-09-2003, 07:18 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voodoo Daddy
So was Barnaby (and the aforementioned Peca). Specious logic, to be sure.
Specious? Perhaps not.

Schaefer's career high in points is 36. Peca's was 60. Schaefer can not even be mentioned in the same breath as Peca defensively.

Barnaby's career high was 43. Barnaby reached 36 last season.

And Schaefer did not become the decent defensive player he is until he reached Ottawa and thrived in an existing system. Something the Rangers really don't have. I can see him getting extremely lost on the Rangers.

Old
11-09-2003, 07:23 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Well, for one, it would help our Pk. Alex Kovalev is playing Pk for christ sake. It would give Holik an actual left winger, and we could actually have a normal checking line. Also, Schaffer is 26 and cheaper then Barnaby.
Listen, I love Barnaby just as much as you do, and I wont't forget what he has done for the Rangers, but in order to get, we have to give.

You gotta give to get, yes. However, I think you are giving up an very important piece of this team to get back a fairly ordinary player IMO.

Barnaby is on a pace to surpass last year's point total. He still does a lot of the little things that no one else on the Rangers can or will do.

I understand the need for another defensive winger and some help for the PK but you are giving up a lot when there are other players out that that are available for a lot less. Sather could probably get Niklas Sundstrom out of Montreal for mid round pick.

As far as the PK, I don't know what Sather/Renney are doing. IMO their two best penalty killing forwards are not playing and that is Lacouture and Lundmark.

Old
11-09-2003, 07:46 PM
ragfan

Quote:
You gotta give to get, yes. However, I think you are giving up an very important piece of this team to get back a fairly ordinary player IMO.

Barnaby is on a pace to surpass last year's point total. He still does a lot of the little things that no one else on the Rangers can or will do.

I understand the need for another defensive winger and some help for the PK but you are giving up a lot when there are other players out that that are available for a lot less. Sather could probably get Niklas Sundstrom out of Montreal for mid round pick.

As far as the PK, I don't know what Sather/Renney are doing. IMO their two best penalty killing forwards are not playing and that is Lacouture and Lundmark.
Well, I guess we'll have to agree to disagree.

But I definitely think you are right in saying that Barnaby is valuable to the team. I don't think he would help out our weaker ares, however. That is something Schaffear could and possibly would do if he was a Ranger.

Closed Thread