HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

If you think that Gainey is wrong, look at this!

Old
07-11-2006, 05:58 PM
Cyrrus147

vCash: 500
If you think that Gainey is wrong, look at this!

I personally like Bob Gainey as a GM but i know that some of you don't. There is a lot worse than Bob Gainey. Look at this trade that Toronto did 3 years ago...

05-Mar-03: San Jose Sharks traded Owen Nolan to the Toronto Maple Leafs for Alyn McCauley, Brad Boyes and a 1st round selection (later traded to Boston - Boston selected Mark Stuart) in 2003.

Owen Nolan : He is currently sueing the Toronto Maple Leafs because the Maple Leafs doctor didn't find his knee injury before the lock out.

for

Alyn McCauley #- C/LW

Los Angeles
DOB: May 29, 1977
Place of Birth: Brockville, Ont., Canada
HT: 5-11 WT: 200
Shoots: L
NHL Seasons: 8
Drafted by New Jersey in 1995 (4/79)

Assets Is blessed with superb vision. Can put the biscuit right on the tape and creates a lot of opportunities for his linemates. Also owns tremendous desire and defensive savvy.
Flaws Lacks confidence in the offensive zone. Isn't very big or much of a physical presence. May not score enough for the second line.
Career potential Two-way center

2005-06 San Jose NHL 76 12 14 26 -3

and

Mark Stuart #45 D

Boston
DOB: Apr 27, 1984
Place of Birth: Rochester, MN, USA
HT: 6-1 WT: 209
Drafted by Boston in 2003 (1/21).

Assets Is a fluent skater. Loves to lay on the body. Flourishes in a shutdown role.
Flaws Isn't a natural player with the puck. Needs to refine his all-around game.
Career potential Top four defenseman.

and

Brad Boyes #26 C/RW

Boston
DOB: Apr 17, 1982
Place of Birth: Mississauga, Ont., Canada
HT: 6-1 WT: 195
Shoots: R
NHL Seasons: 2
Drafted by Toronto in 2000 (1/24).

Assets Has excellent hockey sense and two-way ability. Owns special playmaking qualities and a deft touch around the net.
Flaws Could still use more bulk in order to thrive as the pro. Is still looking for his niche; added versatility would help his cause.
Career potential Second line center.

2005-06 Boston NHL 82 26 43 69 +11

So, why did Toronto trade those guys in 2003? Because Toronto signed a few old players and didn't gave a chance to his young players (like Nieuwendyk in 2003-2004 who sign as a free agent). They had a awesome 2003-2004 seasons. But looks at their rosters now.

3 years later this trade looks awful for the Toronto Maple Leafs. I don't want to have this feeling in septembre 2009! We have a few young guys who deserve a chance this year (Latendresse who s in GREAT shape at the moment, Chipchura and a few others).

Have faith in Gainey, the future looks bright for the habs!

Cyrrus147 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2006, 06:04 PM
Toro

here is an interview with gainey this week.

http://www.canadiens.com/eng/news/re...ewsItemID=5099

Toro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2006, 06:05 PM
Belso

I have faith in the organization. They will just keep getting better.. They have a solid foundation and can work with that as opposed to other teams that can't draft for crap...

Belso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2006, 06:11 PM
Toro

in the interview he says that he is leaving a spot open to a youngster to take in training camp..

Then it goes on to say that Kost, chipper and lats are the frontrunners for that spot...

Old
07-11-2006, 06:18 PM
Plato

vCash: 96894
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrrus147 View Post
I personally like Bob Gainey as a GM but i know that some of you don't. There is a lot worse than Bob Gainey. Look at this trade that Toronto did 3 years ago...

05-Mar-03: San Jose Sharks traded Owen Nolan to the Toronto Maple Leafs for Alyn McCauley, Brad Boyes and a 1st round selection (later traded to Boston - Boston selected Mark Stuart) in 2003.

Owen Nolan : He is currently sueing the Toronto Maple Leafs because the Maple Leafs doctor didn't find his knee injury before the lock out.

for

Alyn McCauley #- C/LW

Los Angeles
DOB: May 29, 1977
Place of Birth: Brockville, Ont., Canada
HT: 5-11 WT: 200
NHL Seasons: 8
Drafted by New Jersey in 1995 (4/79)

Assets Is blessed with superb vision. Can put the biscuit right on the tape and creates a lot of opportunities for his linemates. Also owns tremendous desire and defensive savvy.
Flaws Lacks confidence in the offensive zone. Isn't very big or much of a physical presence. May not score enough for the second line.
Career potential Two-way center

2005-06 San Jose NHL 76 12 14 26 -3

and

Mark Stuart #45 D

Boston
DOB: Apr 27, 1984
Place of Birth: Rochester, MN, USA
HT: 6-1 WT: 209
Drafted by Boston in 2003 (1/21).

Assets Is a fluent skater. Loves to lay on the body. Flourishes in a shutdown role.
Flaws Isn't a natural player with the puck. Needs to refine his all-around game.
Career potential Top four defenseman.

and

Brad Boyes #26 C/RW

Boston
DOB: Apr 17, 1982
Place of Birth: Mississauga, Ont., Canada
HT: 6-1 WT: 195
Shoots: R
NHL Seasons: 2
Drafted by Toronto in 2000 (1/24).

Assets Has excellent hockey sense and two-way ability. Owns special playmaking qualities and a deft touch around the net.
Flaws Could still use more bulk in order to thrive as the pro. Is still looking for his niche; added versatility would help his cause.
Career potential Second line center.

2005-06 Boston NHL 82 26 43 69 +11

So, why did Toronto trade those guys in 2003? Because Toronto signed a few old players and didn't gave a chance to his young players (like Nieuwendyk in 2003-2004 who sign as a free agent). They had a awesome 2003-2004 seasons. But looks at their rosters now.

3 years later this trade looks awful for the Toronto Maple Leafs. I don't want to have this feeling in septembre 2009! We have a few young guys who deserve a chance this year (Latendresse who s in GREAT shape at the moment, Chipchura and a few others).

kdidnt even remember that
they would be in pretty good shape had they not done it

Plato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2006, 06:19 PM
sXe
Yuuuuuup!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Gainey View Post
“This was never about just signing a player for the sake of doing so. I know I can hurry back to my office right now, place a phone call and have someone signed by this afternoon, but it wouldn’t be the player that I want,” admitted Gainey, before turning his attention to an unsuspecting journalist. “I’m sure you would like to get married, but you want it be with the right person, right?”
I love this quote.

sXe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2006, 06:24 PM
KaptainKourage*

OMG ? Are you SERIOUS ? Leafs trade 3 good prospects for an overrated forward ? IMPOSSIBLE ! THIS CANT BE TRUE !!

KaptainKourage* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2006, 06:29 PM
Ice Poutine
Photoshop Nut

Quote:
OMG ? Are you SERIOUS ? Leafs trade 3 good prospects for an overrated forward ? IMPOSSIBLE ! THIS CANT BE TRUE !!
Yeah...boggles da mind dont it?? (NOT !!!)

Ice Poutine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2006, 06:30 PM
Toro

Quote:
Originally Posted by sXe View Post
I love this quote.
Me too, Gainey knows what he is doing. He is doing the best a gm in Montreal could.

Old
07-11-2006, 06:49 PM
#44_delivers

i love bob

qoute of the week;

before turning his attention to an unsuspecting journalist. “I’m sure you would like to get married, but you want it be with the right person, right?”

in reference to not signing the "wrong" player.

#44_delivers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2006, 06:56 PM
turnbuckle*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toro View Post
in the interview he says that he is leaving a spot open to a youngster to take in training camp..

Then it goes on to say that Kost, chipper and lats are the frontrunners for that spot...
Sounds like he's about 95% certain that Lapierre won't make the team in training camp.

turnbuckle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2006, 07:31 PM
toshiro
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via Yahoo to toshiro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toro View Post
here is an interview with gainey this week.

http://www.canadiens.com/eng/news/re...ewsItemID=5099
Wow that is a great interview. Thanks. I wonder who Gainey wants? I hope that it is Sammy.

toshiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2006, 07:40 PM
Habsaku

Quote:
Originally Posted by toshiro View Post
Wow that is a great interview. Thanks. I wonder who Gainey wants? I hope that it is Sammy.
That would be pretty cool wouldnt it? The main problem I see is that he's probably seeking something over 4 million dollars and that doesnt fit with the production he gives and the amount of games he plays, it isnt a Koivu situation either, where there are actual intangibles.

Habsaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2006, 07:46 PM
Pascal

Bob has a plan. He knows how to build a winning team.

I haven't had the glimmer of hope I have about this team's future since well.. ever. Houle and co totally ruined the habs in the 90s, now it's back to being "ok". Lots of young people coming up with great talent. I ain't worried if they can't even sign one player.

Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2006, 09:21 PM
Adam91

Guys I understand you all have valid points but not picking Brule??? I'll be upset about that forever.

Adam91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2006, 09:29 PM
Nobak

Quote:
Originally Posted by turnbuckle View Post
Sounds like he's about 95% certain that Lapierre won't make the team in training camp.
Gainey didn't name anyone. Those were the writer's words.

As for the quote of the week: I agree.

Nobak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2006, 09:39 PM
Cyrrus147

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam91 View Post
Guys I understand you all have valid points but not picking Brule??? I'll be upset about that forever.
Wacth RDS tonight, they will talk a bit about Carey Price. That guy will be VERY good in a few years. Huet is already 31 years old (well he will be 31 september the third)

Old
07-11-2006, 09:42 PM
Blades 0f Steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by turnbuckle View Post
I cannot see Chipchura making this team over Lapierre. I just can't, not this year.

Blades 0f Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2006, 09:46 PM
Taylorzzz

Look out....... I'm venting!!!!!

If after reading that article, if you want to stand up and disagree with how Gainey has turned this team around (not only immediately, but for the future as well) than I think you should just retire from HFboards and find some other place to b*tch about your mom letting you stay out past nine!

I am sooooo sick of hearing all you little b*s*a RDS whine about every little thing! When are we going to start wanting Koivu out of town because you didn't like the color of his suit? For Gods sake make this a forum to discuss our team and its progress rather than merely criticize them for every little thing they do!

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion buy for f***s sake.......

GROW UP!!!!!

oh ya.......

I forgot.......

Go Go!!!

Taylorzzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2006, 09:56 PM
Blades 0f Steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylorzzz View Post
For Gods sake make this a forum to discuss our team and its progress rather than merely criticize them for every little thing they do!

GROW UP!!!!!
I understand your frustration, but the irony is lost on you.

Fascism is over-rated.

Blades 0f Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2006, 09:58 PM
David

Quote:
Bob is an honourable man who knows how to win. There is a lot to like about Bob. This doesn't mean that he doesn't make mistakes. He does and he has. To deny this and only present one side of things is just as bad or even worse than being an eternal pessimist. Yes some here are wearing rose coloured glasses and saying Bob is the greatest thing since sliced bread no matter what kind of bone headed moves he makes...like the LEAF FANS HAVE BEEN DOING FOR THE LAST 39 YEARS.

Furthermore, I would be hard pressed to categorize Bob as one of the sharpest knives in the drawer. There are plenty out there who are slower but I wouldn't classify him as the sharpest and wittiest either.

Having said that, I like that he is slowly building character into the team with his recent drafts. This has to be combined with talent. So I was rather excited that Andre Savard who has a keen eye for talent (but not grit!) would be working with Bob to draft talented gritty players...but Savard went bye, bye...so now there are a lot of questions.

But I still like the direction that this team has taken so far...and with the lessons that Bob learned this spring with the whole Koivu fiasco, I am optimistic that Bob can put together a Cup winning team in the near future...

But that doesn't mean that I won't criticize him when he does wrong, just like I will praise him when he does right.

The problem that I have is with the small handful of young fans that are acting just like the Leaf fans...whom I blame largely for Leaf's misery in the last 40 years...fans who celebrate mediocrity and proclaim that their Leafs can do no wrong. This is sure recipe for not winning.

And now to compare CH to Leafs...well, that's a new low...

Last edited by David: 07-11-2006 at 10:12 PM.
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2006, 10:14 PM
Moester

Send a message via AIM to Moester Send a message via MSN to Moester
Quote:
Wacth RDS tonight, they will talk a bit about Carey Price. That guy will be VERY good in a few years. Huet is already 31 years old (well he will be 31 september the third)
Yeah which means he only has 7-10 short years left as a goaltender LOL

Moester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2006, 10:56 PM
Cyrrus147

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moester View Post
Yeah which means he only has 7-10 short years left as a goaltender LOL
Most of goaltenders start to decline at 35-36 except a few goalie. Remember, Patrick Roy at 36, he had by far his worse year in career and if I remember well he retired at 37.

Old
07-11-2006, 11:01 PM
rustafio

I think Bob really knows what he's doing.
Don't forget, if we don't sign anybody this year, we can still get sombody by a trade until the deadline, and there will be other quality UFA next year. (and lots of young guns pushing it to the big team)

rustafio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2006, 11:05 PM
Toro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nobak View Post
Gainey didn't name anyone. Those were the writer's words.

As for the quote of the week: I agree.

I never said gainey named the 3.

But the article is on the canadiens official website!!!!! a canadiens employee writer probably so i would think.....