HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Pure Speculation, Part II

Old
07-12-2006, 06:33 AM
Le Tricolore
Boo! Booooo!

vCash: 137
Send a message via Skype™ to Le Tricolore
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jozeph_Balej View Post
What the hell we gonna do with Legwand ? For a guy taken #2 overall , he looks like a younger Bonk.
Well, Bonk was taken #3 overall, so I guess that makes sense

Le Tricolore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2006, 06:50 AM
SOLR

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jason allison'fans View Post
legwand is not an upgrade over ribeiro

i'll pass
I would say he is, because of the different skill set. He got as big flaws but different ones.

SOLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2006, 08:00 AM
GoHabsGO252006

While Zednik may be the party that would go the other way in a deal for Legwand, I can't help but think that this acquisition would mean the end of Ribeiro. Legwand is a 2nd line center with more potential than Ribs and is more responsible than Ribs. I can't imagine us not using Ribs in a further trade after said acquisition leaving us with Koivu, Ribs, Legwand, Plekanek, Bonk, along with Begin, Murray and Higgins who have all played C in the past but are no longer used as such). To me it's either Ribs for Legwand or Zed for Legwand and Ribs and Aebischer for someone else.

GoHabsGO252006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2006, 08:04 AM
Netro

I am really big fan of Legwand. He has size, speed and offensive skill. Plus, he is defensively aware as well.

My only concern is that I believe Legwand had surgery recently to repair his ACL. A healthy Legwand would be a nice upgrade over Ribs.

Netro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2006, 08:07 AM
Since86

Is moving Ribeiro to left wing a possibility? I'd rather have Legwand's size up the middle and it makes for two decent attacking lines...

Higgins-Koivu-Ryder
Ribeiro-Legwand-Kovalev

Since86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2006, 08:08 AM
Russeltown

The Legwand rumor makes sense, especially when they did sign Arnott 2 weeks ago!!

Russeltown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2006, 08:22 AM
Stone Cutter

What is Vokuon Health status? I'm wondering if Aebischer would not be a stopgap for them whille he's out (if he's still out). Not sure... just thinking out loud here

Stone Cutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2006, 08:42 AM
Fozz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Netro View Post
I am really big fan of Legwand. He has size, speed and offensive skill. Plus, he is defensively aware as well.

My only concern is that I believe Legwand had surgery recently to repair his ACL. A healthy Legwand would be a nice upgrade over Ribs.
Sorry but I don't see Legwand has un uprade over Ribs at center...Sure he has speed ans size but he doesn't have the same playmaking skills or offensive potential. He could be better suited as a 3rd line center but I think Plekanec will be fine there. The only reason I can see for going for Legwand is if Gainey is worried about Koivu coming back at all... Unless Bonk is traded or bought out.

Fozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2006, 08:46 AM
Habitants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stone Cutter View Post
What is Vokuon Health status? I'm wondering if Aebischer would not be a stopgap for them whille he's out (if he's still out). Not sure... just thinking out loud here
vokoun status is improved apparently, and he is set to have tests on saturday the 15th to determine his latest condition. i dont think they are interested in abby, they have Mason who stepped in very well after vokoun went down. but i do beleive they would be interested in souray and zednik, and moving legand who goes to arbitration makles sense. then trading us a D prospect is also legitamite becasue they have an excess of younger Dmen. i could definitly see a deal develop here..

ps: i miss vokoun! i wish we never lost him on the damn waiver line!
pps: i also miss beauchemin, he would be great for us now! DAMN that waiver line! oh well at least we got begin from there.

Last edited by Habitants: 07-12-2006 at 09:04 AM.
Habitants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2006, 08:50 AM
MathMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fozz View Post
Sorry but I don't see Legwand has un uprade over Ribs at center...
Can Legwand play LW?

MathMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2006, 08:54 AM
GoHabsGO252006

Ribs sucks and needs to be replaced, get over it

GoHabsGO252006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2006, 09:04 AM
Squeaky

Wow. Talk about the stats not backing up the opinions.

Last year Legwand had 6 hits in 44 games. His faceoff % was 44.6. The year before his FO% was 45.1.

In comparison, Ribeiro had 51 hits in 79 games. His faceoff % was 44.7. The year before, 44.8.

I don't think the numbers support the gritty thing or the good at faceoffs thing at all.

Squeaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2006, 09:41 AM
AH

Quote:
Originally Posted by FerrisRox View Post
Are you sure?

I was told very specifically that the conversation began on Saturday.
Talks with his agent may have started on Saturday, but that doesn't mean BG wasn't already talking to Poile about swinging a deal for him before that.

As for Legwand vs Ribeiro, it's really a wash. Legwand has more speed, but he is also injury prone. I dont think it's a situation where one needs to be dealt if the other comes here. Legwand is also a great defensivce player and fits in nicely in a shutdown role. I can honestly see the Habs going with three offensieve lines this coming season.

AH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2006, 10:06 AM
SOLR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeaky View Post
Wow. Talk about the stats not backing up the opinions.

Last year Legwand had 6 hits in 44 games. His faceoff % was 44.6. The year before his FO% was 45.1.

In comparison, Ribeiro had 51 hits in 79 games. His faceoff % was 44.7. The year before, 44.8.

I don't think the numbers support the gritty thing or the good at faceoffs thing at all.
I didnt said he was gritty, I said he is bigger than Ribeiro, please read my post again.

Old
07-12-2006, 10:20 AM
Habber

Legwand is definately an improvement over Ribeiro.

He hasn't put up big numbers, but he's been playing on a poor team for most of his career, and for the most part has been playing a no.1 centre role. I think a drop down to a second line role would give him some more space to become much more productive.

He's got great speed, decent size, and tons of offensive talent. The guy is still pretty young and could be a very solid centreman for the next few years.

Habber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2006, 10:51 AM
Guriken

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOLR View Post
I didnt said he was gritty, I said he is bigger than Ribeiro, please read my post again.
LOL bigger is useless if he never hits and if we look at his stats he never hits.. Synonym : Bonk

Hmm, I would keep Ribeiro..

Guriken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2006, 10:52 AM
znk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guriken View Post
LOL bigger is useless if he never hits and if we look at his stats he never hits.. Synonym : Bonk

Assets Has exceptional speed, which may eventually win him a fastest skater contest in the NHL. Is a natural goal-scorer and possesses oodles of offensive flair.
Flaws Needs to add more muscle to his 6-2 frame and avoid the injury bug. Must continue to work on his defensive game. May not meet offensive expectations.
Career potential Second line center.

you would?

znk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2006, 11:03 AM
Montrealer

Quote:
Originally Posted by znk View Post
Assets Has exceptional speed, which may eventually win him a fastest skater contest in the NHL. Is a natural goal-scorer and possesses oodles of offensive flair.
Flaws Needs to add more muscle to his 6-2 frame and avoid the injury bug. Must continue to work on his defensive game. May not meet offensive expectations.

you would?
Assets: Has exceptional vision and creativity on the ice. His offensive instincts are off the charts and he's improving his all-around game.

Flaws: Still needs a lot of work in the defensive zone. Must bulk up, for he is quite undersized by NHL standards. Is still a bit immature.

Career potential: Second line center.

I would. Ribs is closer to his career potential (as in he's pretty much already reached it) than Legwand is.

Now, I wouldn't mind seeing Legwand on this team, but he's not a better option than Ribs. Not even close.

Montrealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2006, 11:05 AM
znk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montrealer View Post
Assets: Has exceptional vision and creativity on the ice. His offensive instincts are off the charts and he's improving his all-around game.

Flaws: Still needs a lot of work in the defensive zone. Must bulk up, for he is quite undersized by NHL standards. Is still a bit immature.

Career potential: Second line center.

I would. Ribs is closer to his career potential (as in he's pretty much already reached it) than Legwand is.

Now, I wouldn't mind seeing Legwand on this team, but he's not a better option than Ribs. Not even close.
The key advantage that Legwand has is speed. It just brings an other level of energy to his line. Ribs has to slow down the play to be creative. I'd much rather some sparks out there. And if as you say Ribs has already reached his potential...and Legwand not......then why not go with the guy with the most upside?

znk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2006, 11:08 AM
Guriken

Quote:
Originally Posted by znk View Post

you would?
maybe...

Old
07-12-2006, 11:18 AM
Squeaky

Quote:
Quote:
I think Legwand brings size in the center, not sure how gritty he is in reality. He would replace Rib and be at worst a gritty 3rd liner imo.

Squeaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2006, 11:19 AM
Guriken

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montrealer View Post
[...]

Who tells you Legwand hasn't reached his potential yet? He is going to his 26, the same age as Ribeiro...

Ribs wasn't at his best last year, I don't know why but it's clear that he can do better. Maybe he had to adapt his game to the new rules... if so he should be better this upcoming season.

If we get him, I hope he is not like Jan Bulis, all about speed but poor hands and can't finish.

Old
07-12-2006, 11:20 AM
Bryzga lol*

I think he'd be the perfect 2nd line centre. Ribeiro + a draft pick or a prospect for his rights sounds reasonable.

Bryzga lol* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2006, 11:21 AM
SOLR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guriken View Post

Well do you consider a Ribeiro hit an actual hit?

Bigger also means he can protect the puck better or win faceoffs. Bigger is not only for hits you know.

Old
07-12-2006, 11:22 AM
SOLR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeaky View Post
He never played in that role, and im pretty septic of the 4 hits stats btw.