HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Nigel Dawes

Old
07-12-2006, 08:11 AM
JDNYR11

vCash: 500
Nigel Dawes

I really think he will make the big club this year. He had an outstanding season with hartford and he is definetly ready for the nhl.

future 30 goal scorer. What do you guys think

JDNYR11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2006, 08:20 AM
Entrancemperium

Depends if the rangers only want one defensive unit and three scoring lines, if that is the case then sure I think he will be on the rangers third line, but if it's two offensive and two defensive lines then I don't think he will be with the big club, I cant see Renney sitting straka for Dawes because Shanahan and Prucha sure as hell shouldn't ride the bench and actually neither should Straka but oh well

Entrancemperium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2006, 08:37 AM
Fletch

Won't have an idea...

until we see him play in the NHL. I liked the fact that he seemed like a hard-worker in training camp last season. Thought he had a little trouble getting off good shots while here, partially as a result of his ability to work his way in close and get the shot. Didn't seem to have a great shot, so unless that's changed, he will have to find ways to fight his way in close. Sounds as though he's gotten a bit bigger and stronger, which would certainly help. It's hard to bet against him because as jas says, "all he's done is excel at each level," or something to that effect. Look forward to seeing him for sure. It would be interesting to see who Renney aligns him with and see what kind of chance he gets. There's a lot of competition and it's tough to predict who will get the early looks.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2006, 09:12 AM
free0717

If he doesnt make the team, Im sure he will get a cup of coffee.

free0717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2006, 09:32 AM
Levitate

I think he's ready for a shot at the NHL. In some ways he's almost an odd prospect. He's not the fastest skater, though he's pretty quick. Not the greatest shot, definitely not the biggest guy...yet he just gets the job done. I think his best asset is that he finds ways to get himself in the right position to score. hopefully he can keep that up at the NHL level

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2006, 10:02 AM
TheRedressor

As stated before, if we wisen up and decide to have an offensive 3rd line this season, he could definetly make it on the third line.

Ideally we should have 3 scoring lines and a checking line of

Hollweg-Betts-Ward

TheRedressor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2006, 10:38 AM
Synergy27

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheChief View Post
As stated before, if we wisen up and decide to have an offensive 3rd line this season, he could definetly make it on the third line.

Ideally we should have 3 scoring lines and a checking line of

Hollweg-Betts-Ward
I actually think Ward could play a key role on a third scoring line. The guy was a dominant AHL scorer, and as we saw last year his vastly improved skating can help him put up points at the NHL level if he has linemates to work with.

I think it is a bit crazy to say that Dawes is "definitely" ready for the NHL though. I think he is is definitely ready to make a run at training camp, but let's wait and see how he performs before getting crazy.

Synergy27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2006, 10:55 AM
Pizza

Quote:
Originally Posted by free0717 View Post
If he doesnt make the team, Im sure he will get a cup of coffee.

Agreed. He'll get at least some NHL ice time this year.

Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2006, 11:36 AM
Fletch

I agree somewhat on Ward...

I think he can improve on last season, but wouldn't be expecting more than 15 goals, if that much. I thought Ward's best offensive moments came while he was centering a line after Betts went down. He seemed more creative than when he was on the wing, albeit the operative term is 'more' and not just 'creative'.

Old
07-12-2006, 11:51 AM
Anthony Mauro
DraftBuzz Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
I think he can improve on last season, but wouldn't be expecting more than 15 goals, if that much. I thought Ward's best offensive moments came while he was centering a line after Betts went down. He seemed more creative than when he was on the wing, albeit the operative term is 'more' and not just 'creative'.
Agreed on Ward at center. Just how in the world will this camp shape out? The first two lines seem crystal clear and then things can become chaotic.

Straka-Nylander-Jagr
Shanahan-Cullen-Prucha
Rucinsky-Immonen-Dawes
Hollweg-Ward-Ortmeyer
Hossa/Orr

Walk away from Moore's arbitration award, trade Betts, and re-sign Rucinsky. That's not even counting Greg Moore who I think is going to be a lock for the team. Jessiman, Dubinsky, Korpikoski are all bright lights that will be contending for spots as well.

Actually, what's stopping Ward from being a reliable, shutdown center? Aside from not knowing how strong he is on faceoffs yet, he's got the speed, drive, and defensive conscience to play center.

Another thing is the improvements all over the forward roster. Shanahan is an upgrade on Sykora. Cullen is an upgrade over Rucchin. Immonen improves on Moore. Ward is about Betts equal but could potentially bring more than Betts at center.

Anthony Mauro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2006, 12:04 PM
FmmF3*

I like that alot. Hossa-Ward-Prucha was a killer line for the two or three games in which they played together

FmmF3* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2006, 12:13 PM
Fletch

Rucinsky's still not signed...

so the top two lines aren't crystal clear. Further, there could be a surprise at center, and Cullen can end up on a third line; Hossa can end up on a second line; Shanny could be on the top; Straka on the second or third; and the list goes on including a surprising camp from Dubinsky in which he plays so well they'd be hard-pressed to send him down, perhaps not likely, but there's a lot that cannot be ruled out. The question is, how does Renney start camp, meaning, in his head, what does he feel is the incumbent four lines and who gets the chances to shine.

Old
07-12-2006, 12:24 PM
DutchShamrock

Dawes is no slouch defensively. He logged PK time in Hartford and is solid in his own end. Don't count him out of any 3rd line incarnation. The only thing that will truly hamper his chances is the signing of Rucinsky. And if his shot is bad, imagine how many more goals he'll get if he improves in that department.

DutchShamrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2006, 12:56 PM
Anthony Mauro
DraftBuzz Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
so the top two lines aren't crystal clear. Further, there could be a surprise at center, and Cullen can end up on a third line; Hossa can end up on a second line; Shanny could be on the top; Straka on the second or third; and the list goes on including a surprising camp from Dubinsky in which he plays so well they'd be hard-pressed to send him down, perhaps not likely, but there's a lot that cannot be ruled out. The question is, how does Renney start camp, meaning, in his head, what does he feel is the incumbent four lines and who gets the chances to shine.
What does Rucinsky have to do with the top two lines?

Anthony Mauro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2006, 01:16 PM
Fletch

Because Renney says...

that Rucinsky 'can' play on the third line, does not mean that he 'will' play on a third line, if signed. Renney makes the statement using 'can' instead of 'will' to remain flexible, as he should. Just as he mentioned something about Prucha playing a third line - so if it's there, he's already floated that idea (and practiced it too).

It's impossible for any of us to predict how this will play out as I don't even think the coach currently knows how it's going to play-out. There are a lot of options, and few things are currently set in stone, like Jagr, Straka, Nylander and Shanny, and possibly Cullen, which I think should still be up in the air, in the top six.

Old
07-12-2006, 01:27 PM
Edge

Dawes is one of those prospects who somehow just finds a way to success.

He'll never win a skills competition but he just turns himself into player whereever he's been.

Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2006, 01:29 PM
HAPPY HOUR

After listening to the WFAN lame interview, it seemed that Renney was implying that as of now he is thinking of Rucinsky as his third line left winger. So , I have Shanny #1 on the left Prucha #2, Marty #3, and Hollweg #4. If Dawes has a real good camp then this all goes to hell. In a good way. On the right I have Jags #1, Straka #2, Ward #3, Orts#4. Orr plays against the Isles, and other teams who like to dress some tough guys.

HAPPY HOUR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2006, 02:24 PM
Chief

Based on last season...

I don't think you'll see any of the kids promoted to top 6 roles on the Rangers when the season begins. It doesn't seem to be Renney or the team's philosophy.

Although it was just one season, the Rangers and Renney looked to be very patient with their younger players and did not put too much pressure on them. I can remember any number of people complaining when Renney resisted naming Lundqvist the starter, or when Prucha would wind up on the third line, or when the Rangers resisted inserting Pock into the lineup when they needed an offensive defenseman, or when they kept Rucchin at 2nd line center when he struggled.

I personally think many of the players being discussed are still a season away from cracking the big club. I'm sure some will be called up when injuries hit and maybe some will stick around after that but I think the Rangers go into this season with a lot of returning players in bottom 6 forward roles. Remember, this team was excellent defensively and a lot of that had to do with guys like D. Moore, Orts and Betts (who was important from a faceoff perspective, as well). I say all this as someone who is very high on some of the Rangers prospects but I still think you'll see at least a season of AHL seasoning for the likes of Dawes, G. Moore, Dubinsky and Korpikoski. Immonen is an interesting case. Although more AHL games wouldn't hurt him, I get the feeling the Rangers know what they've got with Immonen and I'm not so sure they are as high on him as some fans are.

That said, I think there's probably going to be a low key trade or two which could open up some opportunities for some of the kids. Before Kurt Sauer was re-signed, I thought you might see Sauer to the Rangers with someone like D. Moore going in the other direction. Deals like that would open up bottom 6 spots for some of the Ranger youngsters.

Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2006, 10:52 PM
CJB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge View Post
Dawes is one of those prospects who somehow just finds a way to success.

He'll never win a skills competition but he just turns himself into player whereever he's been.
Thats a pretty accurate statement but regarding the never win skills competition, I dont believe in that.

CJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2006, 01:22 AM
Edge

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJB View Post
Thats a pretty accurate statement but regarding the never win skills competition, I dont believe in that.
You don't believe in the skills competition or you don't believe Dawes couldn't win one.

You lost me a little on that one.

Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2006, 03:59 AM
Barnaby

I've only seen a handful of Dawes games, but if he turns into a 25-30 goal scorer then I could see him being the ultimate fan favorite at the Garden.

Barnaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2006, 05:28 AM
OleOleOleOleBureBure

Slats should have traded him along with Tyutin for Pronger. I really see it as a huge mistake on Sathers part for not pulling off a deal for Pronger. As it stands, Dawes c ould be a go to guy in Harford or 3rd line guy here. i say he plays one more full year in Hartford.

OleOleOleOleBureBure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2006, 05:32 AM
Entrancemperium

Quote:
Originally Posted by OleOleOleOleBureBure View Post
Slats should have traded him along with Tyutin for Pronger. I really see it as a huge mistake on Sathers part for not pulling off a deal for Pronger. As it stands, Dawes c ould be a go to guy in Harford or 3rd line guy here. i say he plays one more full year in Hartford.
Pronger is a piece for a team who is making a run for the cup, we aren't that team

Entrancemperium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2006, 08:08 AM
Potted Plant

Send a message via AIM to Potted Plant
Quote:
Originally Posted by OleOleOleOleBureBure View Post
How do you know Edmonton would accept that offer over the one Anaheim gave? For that matter, how do you know Sather didn't make this offer?

Potted Plant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2006, 08:15 AM
Levitate

I think Dawes has shown he definitely deserves a crack at the NHL. Maybe he's not ready for fulltime duty, but with the rookie AHL season he had, I can't think of a reason to NOT give him a shot at the NHL. Maybe I'm placing too much emphasis on stats, but I just feel another season in the AHL isn't something he needs. It might help him out some, but I just feel that he could also handle the NHL at this point. Of course there's going to be some break in period, but I don't feel like he's gonna flounder. Just a feeling I guess...Hartford relied upon him lot last year and there are some that feel he was the main driving force behind the line with him and helminen + genoway.

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote