HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Allison with be on 690/1150 today at 5:30 or 6:30

Closed Thread

Old
11-12-2003, 11:06 AM
Old Hickory

vCash:
Allison with be on 690/1150 today at 5:30 or 6:30

They couldn't be any more specific. So listen at both times

Old
11-12-2003, 11:36 AM
LuckyLUC20

vCash: 500
great... Hacksaw!!!!!!

Old
11-12-2003, 11:38 AM
jfont

Awards:
please post the jist of the conversation here...thanks.

11-12-2003, 12:38 PM
Skebo

Send a message via Yahoo to Skebo
linkify

gotta love the streaming audio!

Old
11-12-2003, 04:34 PM
David A. Rainer

Send a message via MSN to David A. Rainer
It just started. He sounds like he just woke up.

I'll post what he's stated on the interview.

11-12-2003, 04:40 PM
David A. Rainer

Send a message via MSN to David A. Rainer
Trying a new medication, hopes it will be more effective.

Things have been getting better. Hopes he's only one step away from making it back. Calls it a whip-lash injury, not post-concussion syndrom. Frustrated over not being able to help out on the ice.

Contact will not be a big issue. Being able to function at 100% for an entire game for an entire season is the big question mark.

Thinks the team improved over the offseason. Doing well despite all the injuries.

Typical Hacksaw interview - says very little while talking a lot.

Old
11-12-2003, 04:44 PM
LuckyLUC20

Here's a synopsis... I was typing fast, so forgive the grammatical errors...lol.

Jason on medication:
They are trying out a medication that will hopefully cure his symptoms.

Jason on the injuries:
He didn't black out or have any dramatic hits. It was just whiplash. Some of the symptoms last a long time when they have whiplash whether it's nerves in the neck or migraine symptoms. It's unknown. Hopefully he'll get back sooner than later. Everything's been moving along and getting a lot better.

He feels like one more step, and he'll be really close. It's not the banging around that worries him. He doesn't think contact is the big issue. The bigger issue is the difference in funcitoning at a normal rate or at a game rate and keeping up your heart rate.

He feels great. But sometimes he feels tired. There are times when he just doesn't feel right. The word, "Career threatening" doesn't scare him. He has no history of any injuries. Every doctor he's seen says the symptoms are common with whiplash accidents. He's not worried about getting hits. He's more worried about getting back and starting to play again.

Jason on the team's play as of late:
He thinks we really improved our team this year. We haven't been healthy, but we've been winning. Having our team above .500 without the injured players is great. It's weird and tough/ frustrating that Adam and Jason are apart of the team, yet NOT apart of the team. It's frustrating and discouraging... esp. when you don't know when you'll be back. You have to fight through it and stay positive.

Jason on the fans' concern:
Thanks to the fans and he appreciates it.

This is all from the mouth of Jason Allison.

Old
11-12-2003, 04:45 PM
Legionnaire
Kill! Jeff, Kill!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathFromAbove
Calls it a whip-lash injury, not post-concussion syndrom.
Call me crazy, but this diagnosis sounds a bit like a semantic one in order to try and keep his value up for his next contract.

Old
11-12-2003, 04:51 PM
jfont

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legionnaire
Call me crazy, but this diagnosis sounds a bit like a semantic one in order to try and keep his value up for his next contract.
only way that could keep allison's contract value up is allison playing on the ice...

Old
11-12-2003, 04:53 PM
jfont

Awards:
thanks for the update luckyluc and dfa...

Old
11-12-2003, 05:55 PM
Legionnaire
Kill! Jeff, Kill!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfont
only way that could keep allison's contract value up is allison playing on the ice...
Oh for sure. I am assuming that he returns this year, but the "whiplash" diagnosis would probably get him more money(if the Kings decide not to qualify him) than PCS would. See what I mean?

Old
11-12-2003, 08:21 PM
agentfouser

vCash:
Quote:
Oh for sure. I am assuming that he returns this year, but the "whiplash" diagnosis would probably get him more money(if the Kings decide not to qualify him) than PCS would. See what I mean?
so if he returns and plays fairly well but wants the same amount of money for a new contract, do we give it to him or trade him or let him walk or what?

could he be traded? i think that he would be really hard to move for anything because he's held out for a boatload of money before and he now has a further history of injuries.

Old
11-13-2003, 06:18 AM
Legionnaire
Kill! Jeff, Kill!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by agentfouser
so if he returns and plays fairly well but wants the same amount of money for a new contract, do we give it to him or trade him or let him walk or what?

That is the real question isn't it; what to do with Allison. Dave Taylor along with many other GM's have been preparing their teams for the post CBA NHL. The problem, when it comes to Allison, is that we have to qualify him before the players and owners even sit down to discuss the situation. The way DT has managed this team to date, it seems as though he is preparing for some sort of salary cap, but how exactly will that work? Will there be some sort of "franchise player" designation or will there be a "grandfather clause"? The are all questions (that I'm sure Taylor will know more of an answer to) that will factor into the decision to qualify him.

There is also the issue of unrestricted free agency. The Player's Association wants it lowered to 28 or 29. If they get that concession, there will be a lot of great players that will be UFA's including Allison, and this will make all of the speculation moot.

Right now, the Kings will only have three players under contract for next season; Norstrom, Miller, and Cechmanek. Ziggy Pallfy, most notably, is a UFA at the end of the season, and IMO needs to be resigned more than Allison.

Will the Kings qualify Allison? I think it really depends on how much he plays. If he plays at least half of the season, then I think there is a chance, but if he only plays two months I think it is doubtful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by agentfouser
could he be traded? i think that he would be really hard to move for anything because he's held out for a boatload of money before and he now has a further history of injuries.
If he's healthy, he could easily be traded for a similar package to Schneider, Smolinski, or Blake. Allison could be just a playoff rental because he could essentially be a UFA if the team he was traded to decides not to qualify him. Whether or not he is traded depends on the Kings positon in the playoff hunt. If we are way out of it, I wouldn't be surprised to see any and every name player we have on the block (except Norstrom and Miller.)

Old
11-13-2003, 02:29 PM
agentfouser

vCash:
Quote:
If he's healthy, he could easily be traded for a similar package to Schneider, Smolinski, or Blake. Allison could be just a playoff rental because he could essentially be a UFA if the team he was traded to decides not to qualify him. Whether or not he is traded depends on the Kings positon in the playoff hunt. If we are way out of it, I wouldn't be surprised to see any and every name player we have on the block (except Norstrom and Miller.)
and if we're in the playoff hunt? unless he's the reason we're in it, i think it might be wise to get what we can for the guy and send him on his way. from the way it sounds, he's expecting to get paid just as much next year as in previous years, even if he only gets back for the last month of the season. and, frankly, i think that his injury-prone nature should reduce his pay. all this is further compounded by the likelyhood of some sort of salary cap or luxury tax following the cba. if, hypothetically, we're only allowed a cap of 50 million, (just for argument's sake), is it wise to tie up nearly a fifth of it in one player that, if we assume he plays forty games this year (not an unreasonable assumption, given his progress), has averaged 63 games per season in his nhl career? if he plays forty games this year then he will have missed more than half a season three times in eight years, 37.5 percent of the time.

my answer is no, unless he's willing to take a pretty drastic paycut, due to both new salary restrictions as well as his injury-prone nature, he's not worth anything close to $8 million per year. even then, is it wise to have as one of main organizational building blocks a guy who has a better-than-one-in-three chance of missing half the season? again, my answer is no.

i guess what it comes down to then, for me at least, is that the guy gets injured too much. i think that we should move him for whatever we can and put the money to better use in more durable players.

edit: and if we could get a blake-like package for allison, i would do it in a heartbeat.

Closed Thread