HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Flames interested in Comrie....

Closed Thread

Old
11-10-2003, 05:19 PM
Cerebral

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volchenkov
There is a limit to how much ice time a player can get. I guarantee you if you were to check the minutes of all the top scores that year he wouldn't be too far ahead - and most likely almost exactly even or possibly behind.
Fair enough, it's obvious that he had a good season.. it is also true that he has yet to prove he can match it though! I personally think Calgary would be a much stronger team with Gagne, Williams and Pitkanen in the lineup rather than Igilina.. likewise, with Pitkanen, the Flames could afford to move Gauthier/Lydman and pick up another decent forward. While Iginla is a very talented player, I don't think he's worth three young potential all stars..

Old
11-10-2003, 05:31 PM
Volchenkov

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerebral
Fair enough, it's obvious that he had a good season.. it is also true that he has yet to prove he can match it though! I personally think Calgary would be a much stronger team with Gagne, Williams and Pitkanen in the lineup rather than Igilina.. likewise, with Pitkanen, the Flames could afford to move Gauthier/Lydman and pick up another decent forward. While Iginla is a very talented player, I don't think he's worth three young potential all stars..
It is very possible that teh Package offered MAY make them a better team - however when you are trading away your franchise player you have to (a) be POSITIVE that you are going to get a better return (unless you have no choice) and (b) most likely be getting a significantly better return. IMHO its debateable if Gagne+Pitkanen is easily superior to Iginla. Pitkanen has a lot of potential - but at this point its still only potential. How many top prospect defensemen have developed into offensive forces? The percentage is rather low. Pitkanen has all the tools - but the road to stardom for defensemen is a difficult one. While value-wise it is a fair deal and I personally having no emotional attachment to Iggy would do the deal - a team which is based around one player cannot trade him away under almost any circumstances.

Old
11-10-2003, 05:52 PM
Michalek

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs9x
That's BS...there is no way any GM in this league, even Button, would have turned down a deal of Gagne, Williams, AND Pitkanen for Iginla. And second, there is no way in hell that Clarke made that offer in the first place. There has been a youth movement underway in Philly over the past 3 years, and that move would destroy it. So whatever "sources" said that that offer was on the table last year are idiots.
From pure hockey point of wiev deal would be very good for CGY.
But now look at marketing point of wiev . If at deadline deal would go down:
Button would have to say;
We traded for Gagne who cant score this year , Williams who was injured dfor most of the year and prospect that is still back in finland. Average fan doesnt look much at potential , Flames fans are sick of ''great future'' already. Tell me how many season tickets would Flames sell with for this season if trade would happened.
From Marketing point of view deal woudnt make sence for the Flames.

Old
11-10-2003, 06:06 PM
Torch

Quote:
Calgary couldn't afford to pay Drury and Iginla.. on the other hand, Comrie and his agent just made the claim that he'll play for less than $1.13 million (the Oilers qualifying offer). This is an amount that the Flames could definitely afford to add to their payroll..
They could afford to, they just didn't think he was worth what he was asking. The Sabre fan was more accurate when he said "Calgary wouldn't pay Drury", not that they "couldn't".

I also think Sutter wanted a better 2-way player. But given that, I don't think he would be interested in Comrie either.

Old
11-10-2003, 09:28 PM
kolanos

Quote:
Originally Posted by blah
Williams and Pitkanen? I doubt he'd do Williams or Pitkanen for Iginla right now.
Because of his slow start? That's pretty fickle.

Old
11-10-2003, 09:33 PM
Whinks

Send a message via AIM to Whinks
Quote:
Originally Posted by kolanos
Because of his slow start? That's pretty fickle.
Maybe because, Pitkanen is on the road to greatness?

Old
11-10-2003, 09:49 PM
flamesfanont

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumptheshark
Before the Oilers trade comrie to the flames the fallowing will happen

1)Hell will freeze over
2)John Claude Van DAm will win an oscor for his roll in the remake of rainman
3)I am elected Primeminister
4)New York Rangers and New York Yankees both have the loyest payroll in any sport
5)Sadam Hussan elected to the US Defence council
6)Man walks on Pluto
7. You learn to spell.

Old
11-10-2003, 09:51 PM
flamesfanont

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACC1224
You forgot
#7 jumptheshark will win The National Spelling Bee!!
Doh! Somebody beat me to it! That will teach me to look before posting.

Old
11-10-2003, 09:53 PM
kolanos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whinks
Maybe because, Pitkanen is on the road to greatness?
And he wasn't when this trade was supposedly proposed? What changed?

Old
11-10-2003, 10:10 PM
Cerebral

Quote:
Originally Posted by kolanos
And he wasn't when this trade was supposedly proposed? What changed?
I would say his value is substantially higher now that he has proven he can play at the NHL level.. very very well at the NHL level I should add.

Old
11-11-2003, 09:28 AM
billsandsabres
nhl 94 aficianado

Quote:
Calgary couldn't afford to pay Drury and Iginla.. on the other hand, Comrie and his agent just made the claim that he'll play for less than $1.13 million (the Oilers qualifying offer). This is an amount that the Flames could definitely afford to add to their payroll..
why would comrie do that? very confusing

Old
11-11-2003, 10:13 AM
Torch

Quote:
Originally Posted by billsandsabres
why would comrie do that? very confusing
He said that directly to the media. Note however that he said nothing about demanding crazy bonuses.

Old
11-11-2003, 10:38 AM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
OMG PITKANEN = AKI BERG

YOU IDOTTTS DONT KNOW TEH HOCKEY.

In your face, Pitkanen haters.

Closed Thread