HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Trap?

Closed Thread

Old
11-09-2003, 05:34 PM
MarleuFan

vCash: 500
The Trap?

Can any of the experts here explain to me a few things:

1) What exactly does it mean when a team plays the trap?
2) Why does everyone hate it so much?
3) If you don't play the trap, what other "systems" can you play?
4) How do you recognize the trap or any other system?
5) Do the Sharks play the trap often?

thank you

Old
11-09-2003, 06:58 PM
Hockeycrazed07

Send a message via ICQ to Hockeycrazed07 Send a message via AIM to Hockeycrazed07 Send a message via Yahoo to Hockeycrazed07
The trap is a system where the defensive team forces a team attacking to choose one side or the other in the neutral zone, and then cuts off all passing angles. It's a deny-the-blueline system of play. If the opposing team can't get into the offensive zone, chances are it won't score many goals.

Not everyone hates the trap. Short-passing teams like Detroit actually feed off of it, though it's still not fun to play against it. To beat a trap, you've either got to have great short passing or speed to dump-and-chase, though having both is a help. Teams generally don't like it because they have horrid short passing and not too much speed, which means that they can't pass the puck in the neutral zone because passing lanes have been cut off, and they're forced into low-percentage plays.

There are plenty of other systems. Some teams forecheck more than the trapping system, which means that they have fewer back in the defensive zone. In Detroit, they run a LW lock, which keeps the LW back on D, and allows the C and RW to forecheck at will. I'd suggest "The Hockey Playbook" by Michael A. Smith for more plays. It has lots of different styles of play for multiple situations.

You'd pretty much have to know it to see it. Once you know ice positioning, it's obvious what style a team is playing.

The Sharks fade into and out of the trap. This year, they're going into a trap whenever they have a lead, which is both smart and silly for them. Of course, that depends on the coach. I'm more of a stick-to-one-style-of-play coach, so changing styles on the fly based on score seems a bit foolish to me. Other coaches play by situation, so they'd like it. SJ also plays the trap off-and-on in ES situations.

Hope that helped!
~Crazed.

Old
11-09-2003, 11:24 PM
McDonald19
Hampus

Its just clogging up the neutral zone and waiting for turnovers...not a very exciting way to play hockey.

Old
11-10-2003, 07:14 AM
sweetcad

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeycrazed07
Hope that helped!
~Crazed.
It sure helped me. Thanks for taking the time to explain it. I, as well, am still learning the game and the different plays made.

Thanks again

Old
11-10-2003, 08:50 AM
MarleuFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetcad
It sure helped me. Thanks for taking the time to explain it. I, as well, am still learning the game and the different plays made.

Thanks again

Yeah, that did help a lot. Thank you very much for explaining it.

But then why would the Sharks play the trap if they have good team speed and can handle going end to end?

Old
11-10-2003, 10:27 AM
Hockeycrazed07

Send a message via ICQ to Hockeycrazed07 Send a message via AIM to Hockeycrazed07 Send a message via Yahoo to Hockeycrazed07
To be quite honest, SJ doesn't have much speed. Marleau and Sturm are fine and dandy, but aside them, SJ has next to no speed on an NHL scale, especially on the blueline. The fastest of the D is likely Rathje, and while he's really fast, I wouldn't put him on par with Niedermayer or Rafalski or anyone of that ilk. SJ is, to be quite honest, an average speed team with two exceptional skaters in Patty and Sturm. (Even my beloved Michalek doesn't have a top speed to get into the speedster category, though overall he's a good skater with great accelleration.)

Further, the trap is a complete team defensive scheme. Everyone's got to play D. See Elias playing D in NJ, for example. Does anyone really think guys like Korolyuk would play D? That's why SJ has troubles with defensive coverage, to be quite honest. They try the trap, but have a team totally not built for it. (Marleau? Parker? I could go on.) Stupid coaching, IMO, unless you don't have any offense, which is SJ's case. (More specifically, no passing.) No offense and no D is a 0-0 game, which SJ has had one of this year. No surprize at all.

The trap can be boring, but I rather like it at times. It's interesting from my perspective to see ways to beat the trap. As a coach, I love it. If you're watching hockey for goals, after all, go to basketball. If you're watching for ins and outs, this is the place to be. Of course, as a coach, I would say something like that, even though I don't use it with any of my teams. (I coach kids, and I don't want to stifle creativity among them, so I go with a more flowing attack.)

Glad to help where I can!
~Crazed.

Old
11-10-2003, 11:01 AM
SJSharksFan

Rathje is not the fastest Shark on DF...if he is, then gosh darnit, this team's DF is slooooooooooow. I think that Brad Stuart and Scott Hannan are faster than Rathje...

Old
11-10-2003, 02:51 PM
Hockeycrazed07

I considered putting Stuart up there, as he's the only regular that can compete with Rathje, but Hannan most definately isn't in the same class. Of course, that depends on what we're talking about. I'm talking about time it takes in getting from point A to point B. You might be talking about turnover rate or pedal dexterity, both of which the edge goes to Hannan over Rat. Rat looks like he's slow, but there are reasons he was Darryl Sutter's go-to guy for years. He just isn't as slow as he looks.

~Crazed.

Old
11-10-2003, 03:12 PM
SJSharksFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeycrazed07
I considered putting Stuart up there, as he's the only regular that can compete with Rathje, but Hannan most definately isn't in the same class. Of course, that depends on what we're talking about. I'm talking about time it takes in getting from point A to point B. You might be talking about turnover rate or pedal dexterity, both of which the edge goes to Hannan over Rat. Rat looks like he's slow, but there are reasons he was Darryl Sutter's go-to guy for years. He just isn't as slow as he looks.

~Crazed.
Your right, Point A to Point B, Rat is pretty fast. It just pains me to see Rat try to move laterally...he looks like he's walking on ice.

Closed Thread