HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Habs trade Zednik, acquire Johnson

Old
07-12-2006, 06:43 PM
Habsfan18

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post
If you want to see Johnson's 05-06 goals this year they are still in his NHL.com profile. Lots of goals scored in front of the net and on tips/deflections.
He scored a beauty against Carolina

He scored alot of pp goals as well

Habsfan18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2006, 06:44 PM
wholeshow*

Quote:
Originally Posted by nittany View Post
Of course you think this is the key ingredient to a cup?

I like Johnson but let's not go overboard.
it's for you cry babies who said that bob doesn't care and has done nothing. johnson is a slight improvement over zednik, but it's a start. we got a considerably better draft by making this trade (based on draft positioning from this prior season we moved up around 43 spots). Bob is not an idiot, as some many of you 'people' suggest.

in that one thread, i talked about gainey perhaps making a trade to bolster the lineup. while you or your buddy steven segal went and said that wasn't going to happen because BG hasn't done anything in the past to justify such a blasphemous suggestion of him making a trade.

oh scrap that, bob got samsonov too now. i guess he's still not trying to improve the team?

Last edited by wholeshow*: 07-12-2006 at 06:50 PM.
wholeshow* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2006, 06:45 PM
Miller Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shabutie View Post
Johnson is essentially replacing Bulis on the 3rd line and Kost/Lats/Sykora/Trade will replace Zednik on the 2nd. Imo the team is already better.
Johnson better than Bulis??? I wouldn't be so quick on that one... Maybe we had no chance of keeping him given his strained relationship with Gainey, but let's not let that change what he brought to the team.

As far as replacing Zednik, Kots or Lats(should they earn a top 6 spot) will be green and it's next to impossible to really predict what kind of production they will have... Sykora would be an upgrade, but I'm not holding my breath waiting for Gainey to bring him in!

Right not we are not a better team than last year (gone- zednik, bulis, sundstrom, in- johnson)...

Miller Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2006, 06:46 PM
turnbuckle*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike8 View Post
I don't make it sound like Zednik was a hitting machine. There's no implication on that regard. Johnson's soft. Zednik's not. It's not about hits or fights; Zednik, when he was on his game, drove the net. The fact that he didn't this past season (prior to the playoffs) was distinctly noticeable to everyone. Johnson doesn't drive the net. Zednik used to carry players on his back and go to the net; that's what made him tenacious. He used his leg strength and did so effectively.

I'm not sure why you're insisting on making this a Zednik versus Johnson match-up. I've already stated that I'm certain there were other variables at play when dealing Zednik. I have no problems with that, and I have no doubt that management made the right decision in ridding him from the roster. I don't mind that Montreal received a third round draft pick for him either. What I do question is bringing in a player who is softer than Zednik into the fold, when the team could have used a grittier player.

Personally, I would have preferred a player like Grier to Johnson. I feel that despite his lack of offense, he'd bring more to the table. And guess what? Grier was had for a cheaper price. Who knows if he'd be interested in Montreal, but there were alternatives available on the market.

I'm just not interested in adding a soft player to the club right now, and I think Johnson brings softness.

As far as Johnson's big games go ... he's disappeared a number of recent seasons down the stretch, and he's been a non-factor in Phoenix's few playoff appearances. Smaller sample than most 31 year olds, sure. But that says something about the player more than anything else in this case, in my view.

We just replaced one for the other - why the hell wouldn't you compare them? You are comparing their toughness are you not? Kinda funny for you to compare the two, but then turn around and chastise me for doing the same thing.

Just matter of factly stating that Johnson disappeared down the stretch a few times is easy to say, but a helluva lot harder to prove. Do you have any proof that he has disappeared in important games? How many important games has Phoenix had in recent seasons? Not too mnay.

I recall Zednik disappearing down stretches...this past season he was in the press box more than once when he were battling for a playoff spot. I just supplied proof that Zednik has disappeared down the stretch, can you do the same with Johnson? Has Johnson been a healthy scratch when Phoenix was fighting for playoff spots? I don't think so.

Please explain to me how Zednik was such a tough player. In my books a tough player actually backchecks hard, hits people on a consistent basis, goes in the corners with ferovr more than just when the urge consumes him.

turnbuckle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2006, 06:47 PM
StanAjax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike8 View Post
Yet you try to claim that Johnson was too young for his playoff games to be used against him. Can't have it both ways. Either Johnson was too young and you're excusing his lousy playoff performance because of that, or you're admitting that Johnson has been a no-show to date in the playoffs.

Zednik's proven more, thus is more experienced. If you want to play semantics, then I'll say: Zednik's more experienced at proving his playoff-worthiness.
Exactly what I would have said.

Though I don't forget that we dealt 2005-2006 Zednik and replaced him with 2005-2006 Johnson.
So, if anything, the team is now better than the 2005-2006 one.

But again, they don't have the same roles. Zednik was expected to score goals and lift his game in the playoffs.
We can't expect the same from Johnson. Apparently, we can expect him to help other players finding their touch.
So, it will be up to the kids to be better on the scoresheet, especially in the playoffs.

StanAjax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2006, 06:49 PM
Mike8

Quote:
Originally Posted by turnbuckle View Post
We just replaced one for the other - why the hell wouldn't you compare them?
Because you're stuck on comparing them. I've stated (multiple times now) that I don't mind that Zednik was dumped. I just don't like adding a softy to the lineup. That doesn't mean I prefer Zednik, it just means I don't want either of them.

Quote:
Just matter of factly stating that Johnson disappeared down the stretch a few times is easy to say, but a helluva lot harder to prove. Do you have any proof that he has disappeared in important games? How many important games has Phoenix had in recent seasons? Not too mnay.
Nonsensical.

Quote:
I recall Zednik disappearing down stretches...this past season he was in the press box more than once when he were battling for a playoff spot. I just supplied proof that Zednik has disappeared down the stretch, can you do the same with Johnson? Has Johnson been a healthy scratch when Phoenix was fighting for playoff spots? I don't think so.
More nonsense.

Quote:
Please explain to me how Zednik was such a tough player. In my books a tough player actually backchecks hard, hits people on a consistent basis, goes in the corners with ferovr more than just when the urge consumes him.
Re-read previous posts.

And take your attitude out the door. You get too uptight and defensive these past few weeks, after you received some criticism for your Fischer-rumour.

Maybe when you wind down, we can continue this discussion.

Mike8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2006, 06:50 PM
Guriken

I'm happy, Zednik and Bulis are no longer in the lineup. It's an improvement, we will be a better team.

Guriken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2006, 06:51 PM
wholeshow*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guriken View Post
I'm happy, Zednik and Bulis are no longer in the lineup. It's an improvement, we will be a better team.
so it was perezhogin and a 3rd rounder for zubrus and linden.

wholeshow* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2006, 06:52 PM
Mike8

BTW, I like adding Johnson more now that Samsonov was acquired.

Old
07-12-2006, 06:55 PM
Moester

Send a message via AIM to Moester Send a message via MSN to Moester
Quote:
Originally Posted by raketheleaves View Post

Nice job Bob. Johnson has JETS. Rugged too. Now you're talking!

Another poster said Bob was on the cell a couple times at the development camp today. Now we know why.
I heard that Johnson was kinda weak in the corners...I don't watch western games much...so I'm only going with speculation here.

Moester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2006, 06:56 PM
XX
He's a good guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moester View Post
I heard that Johnson was kinda weak in the corners...I don't watch western games much...so I'm only going with speculation here.
And im here to tell you he was the strongest Yote in the corners. On par with Doan and Sjostrom. He is a master of the deflection on the PP and will lay it on the line for his team. I dont know how well he is going to handle playing in a market like Montreal though.

XX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2006, 06:58 PM
Mike8

Quote:
Originally Posted by XavierX View Post
I dont know how well he is going to handle playing in a market like Montreal though.
I think he'll handle it well. Johnson's always been an articulate, intelligent individual, good with interviews and always given the media time for interviewing. I think that'll be appreciated.

Old
07-12-2006, 06:59 PM
Duster

As opined elsewhere, I see Johnson more as a replacement for Bulis.

I think Zed would not have re-signed with the Habs anyway. It's his contract year and he wants to cash in by playing on the first or second line, just like Bulis. I think many agree that it's not something he would have had in Montreal. In fact, he played well with Perezhogin and Plekanec, and likely would have started the season there - an unappetizing prospect if you are looking to bump up your numbers.

Apples and oranges really.

Duster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2006, 07:00 PM
Guy Caballero

I'm with Mike8 on this one. This trade doesn't really excite me at all. And the mere fact that they were traded/acquired on this same day doesn't imply that Johnson is Zednik's replacement. If anything, he's been brought in to replace Bulis, and it’s arguable whether he’ll be able to do that adequately. I say it’s close, though.

In summary:

1. Johnson for Bulis is a wash.
2. Zednik for a 3rd is probably a wise long-term deal.
3. We still don’t have a PPG player on the roster, and we are minus one 20-goalscorer.

I’m anything but thrilled with this off-season. Wake me up when we actually get someone who can score.

Guy Caballero is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2006, 07:02 PM
Capitano

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Caballero View Post
I'm with Mike8 on this one. This trade doesn't really excite me at all. And the mere fact that they were traded/acquired on this same day doesn't imply that Johnson is Zednik's replacement. If anything, he's been brought in to replace Bulis, and itís arguable whether heíll be able to do that adequately. I say itís close, though.

In summary:

3. We still donít have a PPG player on the roster, and we are minus one 20-goalscorer.

Iím anything but thrilled with this off-season. Wake me up when we actually get someone who can score.
Wake up!!!

Cap

Capitano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2006, 07:04 PM
RC51

I like this move.

Zednik is fast enough, big enough has a good shot, but he has never been the same since the hit. Zednik has no creativity, game in and game out he has reduced himself to getting to open ice to receive a pass. Zednik can't play center at all.

Johnson is fast enough,big enough and has a good shot. He does have creativity and can play center in a pinch.Johnson is much better then Zednik for defence. Johnson brings a bit more assets. Johnson will not mind playing on the 3rd line with Pleks. Better all around fit for the Habs.

This does in no way solve the 2nd center problem, but does solve Zednik wanting out and Johnson is actualy a bit better then Zednik.

It's a good move by Gainey. Sundstrom is gone, Bulis is gone, Zednik is gone, Theo is gone, removing bad apples is a good thing.

Don't tell me the Habs arnt a bit better now. How much better? well it depends on the kids I guess.
Gainey will continue to try to solve the 2nd center problem.

RC51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2006, 07:11 PM
Mike8

Quote:
I'm with Mike8 on this one. This trade doesn't really excite me at all. And the mere fact that they were traded/acquired on this same day doesn't imply that Johnson is Zednik's replacement. If anything, he's been brought in to replace Bulis, and itís arguable whether heíll be able to do that adequately. I say itís close, though.

In summary:

3. We still donít have a PPG player on the roster, and we are minus one 20-goalscorer.

Iím anything but thrilled with this off-season. Wake me up when we actually get someone who can score.
I like this move more with Samsonov's acquisition. Reason being that Johnson is a complementary player, and when Samsonov inevitably gets injured, Johnson's the type of player that can be moved up and replace him without the line suffering too much.

Old
07-12-2006, 07:13 PM
Habsfan18

Johnson burns the Yotes lol per tsn article...

"It's certainly going to be much different than Phoenix, and that's a good thing," said Johnson. "I'm looking forward to playing where people are passionate about their team, and care about how the team's doing.

"I'm excited to be back in a hockey town."

Old
07-12-2006, 07:14 PM
Guy Caballero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capitano View Post
Wake up!!!

Cap
Okay...now I'm awake.

Sorry, Bob. Once again, you have shown that I should place my undying faith in you and that you are in fact slowly building a champion!!!

Guy Caballero is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2006, 07:14 PM
Mike8

That's a bit rough on Phoenix. I like that quote, at least.

Old
07-12-2006, 07:15 PM
SIM_C

I like the moves and had a feeling Gainey was up to something big. Still think he's not finished. Love the talent in Samsonov and Johnson and both should fit it nice. Not to be a downer but isn't anyone else worried we signed two injury prone guys (samsonov later in his career and Johnson earlier)? Regardless i think they are worth the risk and next year can't get here fast enough!!

SIM_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2006, 07:15 PM
Capitano

Quote:
Okay...now I'm awake.

Sorry, Bob. Once again, you have shown that I should place my undying faith in you and that you are in fact slowly building a champion!!!

Honestly, as I read your post I could picture you refreshing your browser the next minute!

Cap

Capitano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2006, 07:23 PM
Pascal

"Johnson, who will make $1.9 million this season, said he was excited about returning to a Canadian locale.

"It's certainly going to be much different than Phoenix, and that's a good thing," said Johnson. "I'm looking forward to playing where people are passionate about their team, and care about how the team's doing.

-tsn

Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2006, 07:24 PM
Habsfan18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
"Johnson, who will make $1.9 million this season, said he was excited about returning to a Canadian locale.

-tsn
Beat ya to it, look above

Old
07-12-2006, 07:24 PM
Dr. Charles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forsberg4ever View Post
One down, one to go, Ribeiro is in the cross-hairs now...
one down, one to go
just another bullet in the chamber
sometimes, love's a loaded gun...
and it shoots to kill...

Dr. Charles is offline   Reply With Quote