HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Honest non-biased opinion: What do you think of Joni?

Closed Thread

Old
11-08-2003, 04:16 PM
Flyers26

vCash: 500
Honest non-biased opinion: What do you think of Joni?

Do you feel this kid is the "real deal"? His idol is Leetch, and he reminds me of a young Leetch. He shows poise , and smarts well beyond his age. He's a defenseman we haven't had since Mark Howe.

What are your non-biased opinions of him?

Old
11-08-2003, 04:21 PM
NYR469

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyers26
Do you feel this kid is the "real deal"? His idol is Leetch, and he reminds me of a young Leetch. He shows poise , and smarts well beyond his age. He's a defenseman we haven't had since Mark Howe.

my feeling is that it makes me want to vomit knowing that if sather wasn't an idiot and didn't trade our 1st rounder in the bure deal, he could have traded up and gotten pitkanen...

the fact that we blew a chance to get a kid this good AND he ended up with the flyers makes me want to cry

Old
11-08-2003, 04:23 PM
barnaby63

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR469
my feeling is that it makes me want to vomit knowing that if sather wasn't an idiot and didn't trade our 1st rounder in the bure deal, he could have traded up and gotten pitkanen...

the fact that we blew a chance to get a kid this good AND he ended up with the flyers makes me want to cry
so you wouldnt have made the bure deal?

Old
11-08-2003, 04:27 PM
Barnaby

I really wanted him....

Comparing him to Leetch is saying alot but IMO he'll be a great d-man.... it'll just be interesting to see how great.

Old
11-08-2003, 04:27 PM
NYR469

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnaby63
so you wouldnt have made the bure deal?
I wouldn't have included a 1st rounder...we weren't good enough with or without bure and a 1st rounder is extreme valuable for a team that is awful trying to get better...

not to mention the fact that florida was desparate to get rid of bure and we were the only option, but sather bid against himself to drive up the price

Old
11-08-2003, 05:27 PM
#37-#93-#27*

Send a message via AIM to #37-#93-#27*
Quote:

I will tell you, Pitkanen is no leetch, not in the same world as him. Keep dreaming and keep choking.

Old
11-08-2003, 09:13 PM
Edge

i like the kid, it's too early to tell what kind of career he will have but he certainly has allstar, top defense type potential.

Old
11-08-2003, 09:48 PM
blah

Quote:
Originally Posted by #37-#93-#27
I will tell you, Pitkanen is no leetch, not in the same world as him. Keep dreaming and keep choking.
How mature.

Old
11-09-2003, 03:55 AM
Bacchus

Can't believe he will be the "new Leetch" but I think he will do great in the NHL.

Old
11-09-2003, 06:00 AM
Potter

Send a message via AIM to Potter
Quote:
Originally Posted by shapa999
No, every idiot besides Sather knew that Bure is a one dimentional player with huge knee problems
easy to say now... no one would have no made that deal. we got rid of ulanov which was more addition by subtraction. bure is an exciting player who could have sparked the team. you had to make that deal, its easy to say that now shapa but back then i didnt hear one complaint.

Old
11-09-2003, 06:27 AM
Davisian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Potter
you had to make that deal, its easy to say that now shapa but back then i didnt hear one complaint.
There were several complaints about that pick being included, especially considering how bad the Panthers wanted to lose that contract, and the complete lack of suitors..

Sure everyone was glad to waive buh-bye to Ulanov, and could even understand Novak, but the pick seemed excessive in the circumstances (including the fact that he wasn't a big need, just another big name..)

As far as JLC (Joni-Loves-ChaChi), I think he's pretty friggin' good..

I don't see the Leetch comparison skill wise, just based on how Leetch looked at that age, (he was domintating then), but he's got skill and a stronger/rougher side then Leetch ever will.

So I can't wait until Clarke alienates him, and let's him come to the Rangers, or go outwest..

Old
11-09-2003, 07:45 AM
#37-#93-#27*

Quote:
Originally Posted by blah
How mature.
I had just come back from the game where my section was invaded by all Flyer fans, you expect me to react nicely to Filthy Fan who replies to another post of mine in typical arrogant Filthy fashion then look for us to compliment his players?

Old
11-09-2003, 07:49 AM
#37-#93-#27*

Quote:
Originally Posted by blah
How mature.
I had just come back from the game where my section was invaded by all Flyer fans, you expect me to react nicely to Filthy Fan who replies to another post of mine in typical arrogant Filthy fashion then look for us to compliment his players?

Old
11-09-2003, 07:52 AM
sickboy35

Quote:

how old are you? don't be a d!ck. he's asking a question to the board and people are giving their opinion. if you can't be mature enough to respond to simple question then don't say anything! flyers26 adds alot more to the boards than you do! believe me any other flyer besides flyers26 or john flyers fan, i'd say they are fair game to tee off on! they are both good guys! not trolls!!

Old
11-09-2003, 07:55 AM
#37-#93-#27*

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickboy35
how old are you? don't be a d!ck. he's asking a question to the board and people are giving their opinion. if you can't be mature enough to respond to simple question then don't say anything! flyers26 adds alot more to the boards than you do! believe me any other flyer besides flyers26 or john flyers fan, i'd say they are fair game to tee off on! they are both good guys! not trolls!!
http://www.hfboards.com/showpost.php...8&postcount=13

http://www.hfboards.com/showpost.php...3&postcount=41

Yep Flyers26 really brings a lot to these Ranger boards and sorry but no you didn't hurt my feelings.

Old
11-09-2003, 07:58 AM
#37-#93-#27*

Quote:

Yep Flyers26 really brings a lot to these Ranger boards and sorry but no you didn't hurt my feelings.

Old
11-09-2003, 08:10 AM
sickboy35

Quote:

he's right! how can u say brash got his ass kicked? if thats an ass kicking then we might as well stop fiighting and introduce slow dancing to hockey! he wasn't saying puriton got his ass kicked either! that was a crappy fight and you say brash got his ass kicked! i will agree if the rags played the 4th line more than 3 effin minutes dale would've got him! at least taken him off the ice as he was one of their better players yesterday!!

Old
11-09-2003, 08:13 AM
#37-#93-#27*

Quote:
he's right! how can u say brash got his ass kicked? if thats an ass kicking then we might as well stop fiighting and introduce slow dancing to hockey! he wasn't saying puriton got his ass kicked either! that was a crappy fight and you say brash got his ass kicked! i will agree if the rags played the 4th line more than 3 effin minutes dale would've got him! at least taken him off the ice as he was one of their better players yesterday!!
Holy jebus I'm talking about his reply to the overtime no comment, and you know that. Stop being so damn ignorant. And since you're being such a baby I bolded "I will tell <b>you</b>" for a reason. If you want my true opinions of Pitkanen here you go:
http://www.hfboards.com/search.php?searchid=82792

I'm sure you'll be very happy, jeeze freakin' Flyer fans are so damn touchy!

<b>1975</b>

Old
11-09-2003, 08:14 AM
Samsonov14
Best chimp ever

Lots of trolling over on this board.

I was at the Rangers game yesterday and was really impressed with Pitkanen. I got a chance to watch him when he wasn't directly involved in the play, and he's got a good head on his shoulders, which is nice to see in a kid with such physical skills. I wish he wasn't a Flyer, but what can you do?

Old
11-09-2003, 08:46 AM
sickboy35

Quote:
Holy jebus I'm talking about his reply to the overtime no comment, and you know that. Stop being so damn ignorant. And since you're being such a baby I bolded "I will tell <b>you</b>" for a reason. If you want my true opinions of Pitkanen here you go:
http://www.hfboards.com/search.php?searchid=82792

I'm sure you'll be very happy, jeeze freakin' Flyer fans are so damn touchy!

<b>1975</b>

first off!! i've been on this board longer than both of you 2 clowns! i'm a ranger fan d!ckhead! i'm getting his back because he asked a ? and you wrote something smug about! thats it! my only problem was the way you talked to him! thats it! as i told you anyone else, by all means pick im apart! don't come at me any of that *****! you seem to be the touchy one!

Old
11-09-2003, 08:50 AM
NYR469

Quote:
Originally Posted by Potter
easy to say now... no one would have no made that deal. we got rid of ulanov which was more addition by subtraction. bure is an exciting player who could have sparked the team. you had to make that deal, its easy to say that now shapa but back then i didnt hear one complaint.
first off i think it is funny that getting rid of ulanov is considered such a great move when sather shouldn't have signed ulanov in the first place. so you screw up and sign him and then get rid of him, you are now even. you didn't make a good move, you just undid a really bad one...

second, no one is saying that we shouldn't have traded for bure just that we gave up too much considering how desparate the panthers were to deal him and since we were the only possible trade partner. giving up a 1st round pick was WAY too much...even if that meant we had to keep ulanov and buy him out, a team that has missed the playoffs 6 straight years should almost never under any circumstances trade away their first round pick (the only exception would be if you are getting a young franchise player like joe thornton in return)

and shouldn't the fact that no one else wanted bure tell you something?? other teams could have afford his salary but they wanted no part of a one-dimensional player who's game is based on speed with 2 bad knees...bure's knees didn't get bad after the trade, they have been bad for years...isn't it funny how anytime there is a player that only the rangers want and they get him in a 'steal' the guy turns out to be a bust, and whenever another team wants someone the rangers miss out and the guy does great...

at the very least given bure's history of knee problems, sather could have protected himself by putting in a clause that said if bure got hurt we'd get the 1st rounder back...but that would require thinking about how something effects the team beyond the next 2 months. but if the rangers ever did that they would be unloading guys instead of bring in overpaid, injury-prone, past-their-prime vets

Old
11-09-2003, 08:56 AM
NYR469

and also obviously we can't go back and redo the bure trade, but regardless of how much of it is hindsight, the bottomline is that this is something that we can learn from and need to avoid making the same mistakes again...

a VERY similar situation could arise with jagr...sather should look back at the bure deal and how bad it worked out, not so much to complain about that particular deal but rather to show that they shouldn't give up any youth or picks to get jagr and if anything should demand youth or picks coming back with jagr as thanks for taking his salary

Old
11-09-2003, 09:58 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:

It's kind of hard to comment after one game. And he is a rookie.

However, I do think he is going to be a good one. I'm not sure if he will be a Leetch type player because I didn't see Pitkkanen rush the puck the way Leetch does (although not many players can rush the puck like Brian). Defensively he should be a tad better based purely on his size.

He's going to be a good one but to mention him in the same breath as Leetch is premature (also because I love Leetch!).

Then again I'm always hesitant to look at a young player and compare him to an established player.

11-09-2003, 01:03 PM
Flyers26

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway
It's kind of hard to comment after one game. And he is a rookie.

However, I do think he is going to be a good one. I'm not sure if he will be a Leetch type player because I didn't see Pitkkanen rush the puck the way Leetch does (although not many players can rush the puck like Brian). Defensively he should be a tad better based purely on his size.

He's going to be a good one but to mention him in the same breath as Leetch is premature (also because I love Leetch!).

Then again I'm always hesitant to look at a young player and compare him to an established player.
Im appreciate your opinon, SBOB. I know it's hard to judge him, after only seeing him play once. He's a type of defenseman we haven't had since Mark Howe, not taking anything away from what Eric D. has done for us. Joni has said, his idol growing up was Leetch, and that's who most compare him to. He has jumped into the play more than any Flyer d-man I've seen, sice Howe. He has helped elevate our PP, to respectability. I know 10-11 games is still very early in his rookie season, but I posed this to your board, to get an un-biased opinion. You know how the local media can make him the 2nd coming of god, so I look for others views of him.
Personally, I think Clarkie deserves big praise for making the trade w/ Tampa, for 4th overall pick, to get Joni. I bash Clarke as much as anyone else, but he pulled off an awesome move this time!

Old
11-09-2003, 01:30 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Im appreciate your opinon, SBOB. I know it's hard to judge him, after only seeing him play once. He's a type of defenseman we haven't had since Mark Howe, not taking anything away from what Eric D. has done for us. Joni has said, his idol growing up was Leetch, and that's who most compare him to. He has jumped into the play more than any Flyer d-man I've seen, sice Howe. He has helped elevate our PP, to respectability. I know 10-11 games is still very early in his rookie season, but I posed this to your board, to get an un-biased opinion. You know how the local media can make him the 2nd coming of god, so I look for others views of him.
Personally, I think Clarkie deserves big praise for making the trade w/ Tampa, for 4th overall pick, to get Joni. I bash Clarke as much as anyone else, but he pulled off an awesome move this time!

I agree that he is a player that the Flyers have needed for a long time now. Desjardin is a decent player (never one of my favorites) but he was/is not the big puck rusher that the Flyers need.

I also need to see Pitkannen play defense more before I can truly formulate an opinion. I have long maintained that Leetch is amazingly underrated defensively and have seen him kill penalties almost single handedly. Not sure if Pitkannen is that type or player or if he will become that kind of player.

Overall, it was a great trade. I'm not going to second guess the Bure deal but Clarke did make a good trade. And he is a good player. Personally, if I was a Flyer fan, I would be happy if he became the first Joni Pitakkanen if not the next Leetch.

Closed Thread