HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Gettin back between the pipes

Old
06-16-2006, 12:56 AM
ResidentAlien*

vCash: 500
Gettin back between the pipes

Well, I did it.
After years away, and just in the last year playing drop in as a forward to get my legs back, I went out and abused the old credit card and got myself all brand new goalie gear. Very stoked!
It's been awhile ( the last pads I had were brown and my blocker had the little circles on it!) so just getting back on goalie blades took me an hour to feel right.
I had a lot of training in my younger days, many goalie camps etc but these pads, RBK 6K 34" SR are wild! I learned the butterfly when it was a "new move" now I am going down and making this wall, well..trying too
I have a question for for anyone that wants to answer,
What is the best for under wear?
I mean everything is different now, I wore what was basically a catchers belly protector along with a fabric based shoulder assembly, now its all in one! Modern Science!

\Whats preffered on the legs? I hear sweat pants, what kind do you like?

This may sound stupid, but if someone could break down their whole dressing up routine( in detail) I would really appreciate it.
Thanks!

ResidentAlien* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2006, 06:24 AM
RedK

A lot of goalies wear various types of sports underwear like underarmour. It's lightweight, it wicks the sweat away, and the smooth fabric keeps friction low, which lets your pads rotate easier. I wear tight-ankled yoga pants for comfort and flexibility.

I gear up in the following order:
1. I arrive at the rink my underthings, usually with sweats and a t-shirt over it.
2. I get out all my gear and check it over to make sure it's in good shape (no tears, straps in place, elbow cup laces tied, etc)
3. Jill and knee braces go on. I don't wear hockey socks, but if I did, this is when I'd put them on.
4. Pants go on and suspenders go up.
5. Skates go on.
6. Pads go on.
7. Throat protector goes on
8. Chest and arm protector goes on.
9. Jersey goes on
10. Mask goes on.
11. Blocker goes on, then glove, grab stick, go play.

RedK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2006, 11:26 AM
ResidentAlien*

Awesome, thanks for the breakdown/ideas.
Pretty much they way I remembered it too

Old
06-16-2006, 11:50 AM
CaptBrannigan

I wear what I guess you'd call 'track pants'. They're light weight and don't absorb sweat so they stay light.

Also, I wear my pant suspenders above my chest protector. I find my pants ride better when I do this but it's just a preference/fit thing.

CaptBrannigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2006, 12:11 PM
aerialis

remember to stretch somewhere in there

i like to stretch abit before going to the rink, a little bit in the locker room, and then abit in the corner after hitting the ice

btw, assisted stretching works wonders (one that i like is sitting and spreading your legs as wide as you can, then leaning forward and having someone else push down on your back)

aerialis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2006, 12:56 PM
Brodeur

I wear a Nike dri-fit shirt and basketball shorts under my goalie gear.

Brodeur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2006, 11:31 PM
ResidentAlien*

Quote:
Originally Posted by twi
I wear what I guess you'd call 'track pants'. They're light weight and don't absorb sweat so they stay light.

Also, I wear my pant suspenders above my chest protector. I find my pants ride better when I do this but it's just a preference/fit thing.
I've heard other guys say they wear track pants too, but track pants to me conjurs up the old draw string cotton type with elastic ankles..I cant imagine those being comfortable.

Stretching, thats gonna be the key for me I think. I always had a pretty good routine, I stayed healthy when I did play hopefully I can keep that going!
Thanks for all the info guys

Old
06-28-2006, 10:33 AM
ZenGoalie

Woman's Point of View

Congrats on getting back between the pipes. I too am just starting back into it after taking 3 years off (maternity leave...) Now my daughter is not an infant, and I need to get my flabby legs back in good shape.
I wear leggings underneath my gear (sort of like lycra bike pants), instead of socks. Up top I wear a scrungy old t-shirt underneath my arm/chest protector.

On my head I wear a bandana to keep my hair out of my eyes.

Hope this helps!

ZenGoalie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2006, 11:13 AM
ResidentAlien*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenGoalie
Congrats on getting back between the pipes. I too am just starting back into it after taking 3 years off (maternity leave...) Now my daughter is not an infant, and I need to get my flabby legs back in good shape.
I wear leggings underneath my gear (sort of like lycra bike pants), instead of socks. Up top I wear a scrungy old t-shirt underneath my arm/chest protector.

On my head I wear a bandana to keep my hair out of my eyes.

Hope this helps!
Good for you!
I got some Under armor pants and shirt now, love it! Also wear these snowboarding socks, nice and long, really keep my feet warm and dry. I think Im going to go get some fitted super feet for my skates too, they cost around $80. though, supposed to be way worth it.
think Im comfortable in the gear now, just need to work on my stamina (@41, it takes awhile to get it back) But I am havin fun!

Good luck with your legs

Old
06-29-2006, 12:49 PM
ZenGoalie

Thanks! You too...at 36, I understand the stamina thing...I always have the good intention to exercise on the treadmill during the week...but just never find the time.

I'm playing Friday nights this summer, and then will be playing in a league in the fall. So I've got plenty of time to get in shape.

ZenGoalie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2006, 08:33 PM
MikeD

T3k wear by Simeon Rice. More durable than UA at about half the price ussually. Be sure to keep the traditional hockey socks on to protect from skate cut.

MikeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2006, 09:28 PM
Blindsided

Quote:
Originally Posted by ResidentAlien
Whats preffered on the legs? I hear sweat pants, what kind do you like?
It depends on what you feel comfortable wearing. I know a lot of people who wear full-length spandex-like things (i dont know what its called!). When i play, i wear compression shorts. They add a lot of movement and flexiblity cause its light and strecthy. I cant stand wearing full-length spandexy pants, it just feels weird. Its all a matter of what you prefer wearing.

Blindsided is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2006, 09:21 AM
VisionQuest*

I wear underarmour turfgear leggings. Works fine. Have considered switching to a light-weight, non-tight type of pant though.
I also wear suspenders under my c/a, and I cross them over my head in order to keep them from slipping down the arms when I play. It does wonders for keeping my pants and C/A alligned.

VisionQuest* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2006, 04:55 PM
MikeD

HAve you ever tried wearing the CA integrated/tucked? By putting the CA into the pant w/ suspenders over the CA you widen your body and keep a much more solid protection factor. Suspenders would go on the Inside of your vertical CA pads and belt loosly through the belly loop. This is especially recomended if the stomach area of your CA tends to roll up or move out of place.

MikeD is offline   Reply With Quote