HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

what do we do with Rivet Markov Souray

Old
07-14-2006, 03:55 PM
onemorecup*

vCash: 500
what do we do with Rivet Markov Souray

heading into next year , all qualify for UFA or RFA , with the stupid money spent this offseason , especailly 1.8 on Cube, if these guys are clearly ahead of Cube who is 5th D man at best , DO WE SPEND STUPID MONEY TO KEEP THEM ?

I don`t see Gainey resigning Souray and Rivet to crazy deals and both maybe dealt before the deadline next year . Markov will be retained , he is too valuable
to us. I THINK GAINEY HAS LEARNED FROM HIS DALLAS DAYS , WHEN HE OVERPAID
PLAYERS HEADING INTO THIER TWIGHLIGHT YEARS LIKE AUDETTE . RIVET AT 33, I DON`T SEE A 3-4 YEAR DEAL FOR HIM .

onemorecup* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2006, 03:59 PM
eddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeman View Post
heading into next year , all qualify for UFA or RFA , with the stupid money spent this offseason , especailly 1.8 on Cube, if these guys are clearly ahead of Cube who is 5th D man at best , DO WE SPEND STUPID MONEY TO KEEP THEM ?

I don`t see Gainey resigning Souray and Rivet to crazy deals and both maybe dealt before the deadline next year . Markov will be retained , he is too valuable
PLAYERS HEADING INTO THIER TWIGHLIGHT YEARS LIKE AUDETTE . RIVET AT 33, I DON`T SEE A 3-4 YEAR DEAL FOR HIM .
I see Souray testing the Free Agent market for sure. Do anything we can to re-sign Markov and Rivet I think would be the type of guy to take a pay-cut to stay with the Habs, but maybe not.

eddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2006, 03:59 PM
Artyukhin*

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeman View Post

market price shouldnt be so high next season . the age for ufa will be 28 years old the market is going to be flooded bigtime .

Artyukhin* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2006, 04:02 PM
sXe
Yuuuuuup!

Please learn to use the capslock key.

sXe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2006, 04:12 PM
Dan K
HFBoards Partner

Send a message via MSN to Dan K
We really do need to keep Markov. I'm very willing to offer him up a longterm contract at over 4 million per year. Maybe up to 5 million, seeing as that's what Kubina got. But whatever it takes. Hopefully, he gives a small home team discount to stay with his Russian buddies.

Souray will likely test the market. I know he has said he likes Montreal, (despite the other rumours that say he wants a trade) but I expect him to listen to offers from California-area clubs as well, and they take the best offer he gets.

I think Rivet wants to stay here. He has been paid very fairly the past while, and isn't really due for a raise, even though he'll be a UFA. His best friend Saku is here for at least 2 more years after this one, so I think he's the surest bet to remain a Hab. A 1-2 year contract.

Dan K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2006, 04:25 PM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
I think Rivet will stay on his own accord, and Gainey will push real hard for Markov, but Souray would definitely be leaving (heck we don't even know for sure that he's staying for this season yet).

hototogisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2006, 04:27 PM
Dwight
The French Tickler

Sign Markov and Rivet, let SOuray go to the West like he wants to.

Dwight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2006, 04:32 PM
wholeshow*

rivet will take a pay cut (for certain) to stay in montreal. we should give him a midseason extension between 2 and 2.5 million.
souray will be traded for another d-man (or someother asset), hopefully someone cheap that won't command a huge salary but be able to bring some stability.
bonk won't be back so that's about 2.5 million off our back. johnson will be replaced by a rookie (IMO) so that's another 1.9 million saved and then we'll be able to resign markov (with a raise) without having to spend more towards the cap.
habs are in a good position next season, imo.

wholeshow* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2006, 04:38 PM
beowulf
Poster of the Year!

Send a message via MSN to beowulf
What's with the yelling? I think Markov and Rivet will be kept but Souray may be gone before long.

beowulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2006, 04:39 PM
BLONG7

Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
I think Rivet will stay on his own accord, and Gainey will push real hard for Markov, but Souray would definitely be leaving (heck we don't even know for sure that he's staying for this season yet).
Hopefully we keep Rivet and Markov, my only concern with regard to Markov, is that Carbo said after the playoffs he was a little dissappointed with Andrei, and that he thought Markov needed to step it up more...so if the coach isn't happy with our #1 Dman, what does that say???

BLONG7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2006, 04:44 PM
madbox

Souray, his decision on whether he wants to stay here or really be close to his daughter as has been so often said.

Rivet's a true Hab, IMO, and often underappreciated or simply shat on because of the deal he signed (which right now, doesn't look so bad, DOES IT! lol). He does his job, has a little offense and stands up for his teammates. 3 years would make me happy.

Markov is a #1 defenseman. Don't care that he's not physical, he's great in both ends, PP/PK and we all know how Montreal did without him last season. He broke out last season and can still get better even. He needs to be locked up longterm. No question.

madbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2006, 04:55 PM
Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toad View Post
Agreed.

Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2006, 04:59 PM
nyhabsfan
Waiting for #25.....

Ribero is off the books, Bonk is off the books, we have others that will be RFA, and we don't even know where the ceiling is at.

I wouldn't worry about this, we haven't even gotten THIS year's lineup set in stone yet.

Let's play the 2006-2007 season.

nyhabsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2006, 05:00 PM
phil

souray will be gone within weeks / days... so we are left with Markov whom we should re-sign and Rivet which we should also re-sign because no matter what you might say, he's a bis part of our team's leadership and defense

phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2006, 06:26 PM
Munchausen
Full Time A-hole

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil View Post
souray will be gone within weeks / days... so we are left with Markov whom we should re-sign and Rivet which we should also re-sign because no matter what you might say, he's a bis part of our team's leadership and defense
The more time passes, the more this Morency rumour is proving to be BS, so I wouldn't count on that.

Personally I'd be very comfortable in re-signing all 3 of them to 3-4 year contracts. All of them are key parts of our D. Markov for his talent, Souray and Rivet for their leadership and stabilizing presense, and I believe stability more than raw talent will prove more and more important as far as the D corps in this league go. Of the 3 though, I think Rivet is the more vulnerable if we can't sign all 3.

I'm very comfortable heading into next season with them + Komisarek as the top-4 and the beauty here is they still have rooom to grow as a group. My feeling is all 3 would have no problem re-signing here too, as they have acquired an important status over the years here, however re-signing Markov might prove more delicate.

I'd be fine with offering up to 4M to Souray, up to 3.5M to Rivet and up to 5.5M to Markov. That's probably what it'll take to keep them if we go by this year's market. We'll be using the money saved on Bonk's contract and probably Johnson's to do so. Of course that will likely put us right to the cap limit with all the other RFAs so we might have to salary dump a couple of secondary players like Ribeiro (if his job gets stolen during the year by a rookie or Plekanec), Dandenault or Aebischer (might be done during the year to let Danis take over 2nd G duty).

Munchausen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2006, 07:21 PM
Moester

Send a message via AIM to Moester Send a message via MSN to Moester
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toad View Post
I'm getting kinda sick of that rumour. How many players have played thousands of miles away from where they live? Sure every player would like to play closer to home, but most times it doesn't work out that way. Souray said REPEATEDLY that he would want to retire a Hab, while he was in Sweeden he used to send letters to MTL newspapers about being away. Other than a completely unsubstanciated rumour that most people would shut down if it was about Koivu "Koivu wants to play in europe to be closer to wife and family" I say let him not be gone until he's gone. I think that Montreal management knows enough to keep him around.

Moester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2006, 07:53 PM
znk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moester View Post
I'm getting kinda sick of that rumour. How many players have played thousands of miles away from where they live? Sure every player would like to play closer to home, but most times it doesn't work out that way. Souray said REPEATEDLY that he would want to retire a Hab, while he was in Sweeden he used to send letters to MTL newspapers about being away. Other than a completely unsubstanciated rumour that most people would shut down if it was about Koivu "Koivu wants to play in europe to be closer to wife and family" I say let him not be gone until he's gone. I think that Montreal management knows enough to keep him around.
Well I heard in on the team 990 this summer say something like "I didnt ask for a trade. But if I was traded to the west coast its something that I wouldnt mind."
You've got to realize that he's got a young kid and that he's divorced. I think he'd like the opportunity to have the guard of his daughter once in a while.

znk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2006, 09:48 PM
bayrider

Gainey will offer Markov a nice contract. Souray wants to go to California. Rivet will re-sign. Whats the problem?

Anyone actually believe Rivet will go anywhere else?

bayrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2006, 09:50 PM
Habsy

Why are you even worrying about next summer when this summer is not over yet?

Habsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2006, 10:07 PM
znk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsy View Post
Why are you even worrying about next summer when this summer is not over yet?
Because with the new CBA every decision has long term implications.

znk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2006, 10:23 PM
tinyzombies

Give Markov the money, no question.

The other two I can live without if we can replace them. At least one of them has to go anyway if we want to improve this defense.

tinyzombies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2006, 10:25 PM
Habsy

Quote:
Originally Posted by znk View Post
Because with the new CBA every decision has long term implications.
Yeah ok.

Habsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2006, 11:18 PM
Munchausen
Full Time A-hole

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayrider View Post
Anyone actually believe Rivet will go anywhere else?
Could easily happen. We often hear how Rivet has a great reputation around the league. I think lots of teams might show interest, but then again his best friend is still on this team and he now has a veteran leader status on this D squad so I doubt he'd want to move provided Gainey doesn't lowball him come June 2007.

Munchausen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2006, 11:31 PM
Traitor8

can we negotiate contract extension with them now or no?

Traitor8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2006, 11:59 PM
Slick Nick

Although I'd like Souray to be traded for a better Dman.. I'd rather sing him over Rivet. I love what Rivet brings to the team in terms of leadership, but he's been surfing on the Markov wave for a few years, and when he got off the pair he has shown that he's far from being as good as most of us have seen him.

Slick Nick is offline   Reply With Quote