HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

How will Conklin do?

Closed Thread

Old
11-09-2003, 11:59 AM
USC Trojans
I have a plan.

vCash: 500
How will Conklin do?

Well, its official, with Salo being sent back to Edmonton with a "groin" injury, Conklin will be our starter for the time being. So now, how do you guys think Conklin will do with his new role and how good can he be?

I think Conklin will at least provide some stability and confidence for the club. I noticed that he doesn't make many glaring mistakes and has some good control on rebounds. He's not flashy at all but somehow manages to get the job done. Of course, he's also had some luck (like the goalpost shot last night), but it would take a good shot or a good play to beat him. I think he'll get the Oilers back on track for the time being while the jury is still out on Salo.

Old
11-09-2003, 02:02 PM
Cujo_31

Quote:
Originally Posted by alzardnp1
Well, its official, with Salo being sent back to Edmonton with a "groin" injury, Conklin will be our starter for the time being. So now, how do you guys think Conklin will do with his new role and how good can he be?

I think Conklin will at least provide some stability and confidence for the club. I noticed that he doesn't make many glaring mistakes and has some good control on rebounds. He's not flashy at all but somehow manages to get the job done. Of course, he's also had some luck (like the goalpost shot last night), but it would take a good shot or a good play to beat him. I think he'll get the Oilers back on track for the time being while the jury is still out on Salo.

I feel Ty will restore some confidence that the Oilers have lacked when Salo has been in net this season. Oilers came out pretty strong last night against the leafs, but the Sundin goal really took a lot out of the Oil, then AlMo goal just sunk them. with Conklin in net, the Oilers will have confidence in their goalie to come up big when he has to, & we'll see a much improved hockey club tommorow @ NYR

Old
11-09-2003, 02:37 PM
Oilhitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cujo_31
I feel Ty will restore some confidence that the Oilers have lacked when Salo has been in net this season. Oilers came out pretty strong last night against the leafs, but the Sundin goal really took a lot out of the Oil, then AlMo goal just sunk them. with Conklin in net, the Oilers will have confidence in their goalie to come up big when he has to, & we'll see a much improved hockey club tommorow @ NYR

Agreed. Last year whenever Markanen was starting it seemed like the Oilers played better in front of him.

Old
11-09-2003, 02:42 PM
copperaddict

This could be a blessing in disguise. Ty has proved himself at every level so far and I look for nothing less.I wouldn't mind Salo being out a couple of weeks.Also Valiquette has done well in the NHL whenever given a shot.

Old
11-09-2003, 02:47 PM
Narnia
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via MSN to Narnia
Quote:

Was there a link or was it mentioned on the radio that Salo was sent home?

11-09-2003, 02:55 PM
dem

He couldnt do any worse than Tommy Salo.... could he? I dont think so.

Old
11-09-2003, 03:02 PM
SeriousBusiness
T.Hall da man

Quote:
Originally Posted by dem
He couldnt do any worse than Tommy Salo.... could he? I dont think so.
I agree. He cant do worse that Salo has. I think he will give us a chance to win every night. That is something Salo hasn't given us this year. If the way he has played so far this year is any indication, he could be very good for us. I look forward to seeing him play.

Old
11-09-2003, 07:29 PM
Narnia
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:

Is there a link that mentions Salo being sent home with a "groin" injury. I can't find any confirmation on this but I've read about it on message boards.

Old
11-09-2003, 07:50 PM
Oiltalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanryann
I agree. He cant do worse that Salo has. I think he will give us a chance to win every night. That is something Salo hasn't given us this year. If the way he has played so far this year is any indication, he could be very good for us. I look forward to seeing him play.
The truth is he can be worse. Same can be said about any backup. Hopefully he is rock solid though, and that our defenceman learn how to move the darn puck.

Old
11-09-2003, 09:07 PM
USC Trojans
I have a plan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilers89
Is there a link that mentions Salo being sent home with a "groin" injury. I can't find any confirmation on this but I've read about it on message boards.
Yeah, read that somewhere here too. Well, I guess I should take it with a grain of salt until its announced.

Old
11-09-2003, 09:49 PM
Narnia
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Yeah, read that somewhere here too. Well, I guess I should take it with a grain of salt until its announced.
I read it on allsports.com as well on the edmonton oilers message board and also on oilfans.com as well.

Old
11-09-2003, 10:15 PM
Boondock Saint

The question I have is:

What if Salo is out for a while and Conks/Valiquette struggle????

Do we make a move or just grit our teeth and wait it out????

Old
11-09-2003, 11:08 PM
Narnia
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Someone mentioned they heard it on CHED.

Old
11-10-2003, 05:16 AM
The Flying Pigdog

I just read it on http://www.hockeyinformer.com

Old
11-10-2003, 08:10 AM
barto

It's also in today's Sun:

http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam031110/nhl_edm1-sun.html

I think Conklin could very well change his career in the next few games. If he plays great, he becomes another option and might even end up as a "starter" rather than a "backup". I think he'll do fine, but maybe that's more *hope* than anything...!

Bart

Old
11-10-2003, 01:27 PM
Master Lok

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boondock Saint
The question I have is:

What if Salo is out for a while and Conks/Valiquette struggle????

Do we make a move or just grit our teeth and wait it out????
yes I 'm concerned about this too.

And for all those rosy-colored glasses wearing fans, Yes Conklin Could play worse than Salo. Its not a probability as I like Conks. Just a possibility.

Old
11-10-2003, 01:32 PM
Hemmer

Seems like every other team has a goaltending controversy of some sort.

Why don't the Oilers chime in.

My take is that Conks will outplay Tommy considerably in the next few weeks, relegating Tommy to the backup role. Valley will prove to be a decent backup, but clearly the third man on the totem pole. Ultimately, by the time the trade deadline rolls around, the Oilers will either have traded Tommy already, or will be playing him 3 Million plus to sit on the bench. With such a bloated goaltender market, it proves to be impossible to move him until the offseason, where his option is not renewed by the team and he becomes a FA.

Tommy ends up playing about 30 games, Conklin about 35, and Valiquette mops up the rest.

Old
11-10-2003, 02:11 PM
SeriousBusiness
T.Hall da man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oiltalk
The truth is he can be worse. Same can be said about any backup. Hopefully he is rock solid though, and that our defenceman learn how to move the darn puck.

No I disagree. Salo is last in the league in GAA and save %. There is no way Conklin will be that bad.

Old
11-10-2003, 02:19 PM
Jeffoo

Ya, Conklin will do fine. I'll miss Markenov as back up though. He is one of the better back ups in the leuge me thinks.

Old
11-10-2003, 02:45 PM
Hemmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffoo
Ya, Conklin will do fine. I'll miss Markenov as back up though. He is one of the better back ups in the leuge me thinks.
Yeah. Markenov was terrific wasn't he?

Big time goaltender, you know, wit ze'ack and slash and big save like dat.

Old
11-10-2003, 06:19 PM
Oiltalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanryann
No I disagree. Salo is last in the league in GAA and save %. There is no way Conklin will be that bad.
:p Like I said. Our main problem is defence.

Old
11-10-2003, 06:22 PM
Cerebral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oiltalk
:p Like I said. Our main problem is defence.
Agreed.. I believe the goalies are taking way too much flack for the number of goals being scored against us. Too often I've come on here and said "Tommy only had a chance to save one of those shots".. I said the same thing tonight about Conklin. Our d-men need to start clearing the front of the net a lot more and they need to close the gap on the blue line rather than backing off and giving the free shot..

Closed Thread