HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Kings/Monarchs Add Enforcer

Old
07-13-2006, 10:04 PM
King Blazer

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper45 View Post
He can skate, he's just got stone hands.
The guy is huge, he's 27, this is his 8th season pro, he's played in 4 NHL games. He can't skate...

King Blazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2006, 10:23 PM
TubbyTerrion*

Send a message via AIM to TubbyTerrion*
Quote:
Originally Posted by King Blazer View Post
The guy is huge, he's 27, this is his 8th season pro, he's played in 4 NHL games. He can't skate...
Every team needs one of these guys to protect our skill playyyyyyyyyy..... wait a minute... you know I don't believe in that concept.

Hopefully, Ivanans' agent handles some good players and DL did this as a favor in exchange for something better down the road....

TubbyTerrion* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2006, 10:29 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Seeing how Boogaard and McGrattan found themselves on NHL rosters in the "new" era of the league, I think Ivanans serves a purpose.

He'll get in his 50+ or so games in the AHL and take care of dirty players like Darcy Verot or Brendan Buckley (whoops, he's on "our" side now).

Ziggy Stardust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2006, 10:44 PM
fuzzerson
¡Ándele!

Send a message via ICQ to fuzzerson
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
Even with mandatory visors, the "enforcers" of the AHL will be smart enough to voluntarily take off their lids so that none of them will hurt themselves punching visors/helmets.
Speaking of that, what ever happened to the rule that if you fight with a visor on it was a 2 min penalty?

fuzzerson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2006, 12:24 AM
Reaper45

Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
Quote:
Ask Habs fans, he skated around the rink in 13 seconds in one of their workouts. The dude can skate.

Reaper45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2006, 12:59 AM
Le Maroons

Warning - Habs fan
Raitis Ivanans is a very fast skater. He's a monster (6'4", 263 lbs). He'll probably play on the Monarchs. Just thought I'd let you know that when he fought Chara it was a boring fight with nothing connecting until Chara fell and landed a shot while falling. The linesmen came in and when Chara got back up he punched Ivanans on the eye while he was still on his knees and being held by the linesman. Ivanans suffered a broken orbital bone and Chara a broken hand. That was a nasty cheap shot by Chara and it's only fitting that he plays for the Bruins now. Hopefully L.A. plays the Bruins this year and Ivanans can play that game and get his revenge.

Le Maroons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2006, 06:15 AM
King Blazer

Quote:
Ask Habs fans, he skated around the rink in 13 seconds in one of their workouts. The dude can skate.
But can he stop, facing in both directions? Or, does he just crash into the boards? I'd guess Parros could probably make it around the rink in close to 13-seconds and I certainly wouldn't consider him a good skater...

Old
07-14-2006, 06:22 AM
King Blazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
Seeing how Boogaard and McGrattan found themselves on NHL rosters in the "new" era of the league, I think Ivanans serves a purpose.

He'll get in his 50+ or so games in the AHL and take care of dirty players like Darcy Verot or Brendan Buckley (whoops, he's on "our" side now).
Rullier never had a problem taking care of Verot, as Verot is more of an Avery type. I know many of you are excited about this signing. I see it as nothing more than the continued waste of what is already limited game roster space on a team that's likely going to feature one legitimate scoring line until Kopitar is recalled to L.A. then they'll plug yet another 5' squat, 165-lb "skill guy" in to replace him. Same as it ever was, same as it ever was. AEG is obviously going on the cheap once again. They fired the managers, not the owners...

Old
07-14-2006, 08:01 AM
Osprey

Quote:
Rullier never had a problem taking care of Verot, as Verot is more of an Avery type. I know many of you are excited about this signing. I see it as nothing more than the continued waste of what is already limited game roster space on a team that's likely going to feature one legitimate scoring line until Kopitar is recalled to L.A. then they'll plug yet another 5' squat, 165-lb "skill guy" in to replace him. Same as it ever was, same as it ever was. AEG is obviously going on the cheap once again. They fired the managers, not the owners...
Well, according to that poll of Monarchs STHs (and if I'm remembering it correctly), the #1 complaint about the team was that it was boring, partly because of lack of skill and partly because of lack of toughness and fighting. Credit Hextall and the gang for quite pointedly addressing one of those reasons already; they've, at least, listened to the fans.

I seem to recall one of you complaining at one point that the Kings use the Monarchs for their own purposes and don't care much what product the Manchester folk have to watch. Well, it seems to me that, perhaps, the new management does care a little.

Maybe it's not the best way to build the team--I can certainly understand your criticisms--but it's something that a plurality of the fans wanted. I get the feeling that the folks in Manchester want to be entertained, first and foremost. Well, I think that next year's team will be quite a bit more entertaining, to say the least .

Besides, like we've been saying about the Kings, I think that we should let the men in charge finish their job and judge the team after the season's underway. Like how there's a plan for the Kings, I imagine that there's a plan for the Monarchs, even though both are a little hard to grasp at the moment. Let's see how things shape up in the coming months and how it shakes out on the ice.

Last edited by Osprey: 07-14-2006 at 08:11 AM.
Osprey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2006, 08:38 AM
ReggieMoto

Send a message via Yahoo to ReggieMoto
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osprey View Post
Well, according to that poll of Monarchs STHs (and if I'm remembering it correctly), the #1 complaint about the team was that it was boring, partly because of lack of skill and partly because of lack of toughness and fighting. Credit Hextall and the gang for quite pointedly addressing one of those reasons already; they've, at least, listened to the fans.
You know, Osprey, you usually have a fairly logical and rational opinion that you share when you post on the board, but I find it hard to believe that even you can believe what you just typed. Perhaps you're taking a shot at honing your debating skills and trying to argue an unpopular and meritless argument.

Was the on-ice product boring last season? Yes it was. Are the Kings looking to provide maximum veteran presence in Manchester this season? Yes, they are. Is hiring a non-scoring lug of a fighter, with practically no NHL - or even solid AHL - skills to mentor the kids with, the right solution for this strategy? Not likely. Coupled with the fact that this is the second quite specious - at least to me - "veteran" signing (Buckley being the first), I'd have to say the Kings are assembling more of a carnival side-show in Manchester rather than building a pool of competitive, talented prospects from which to draw from during the course of the upcoming season.

Which of these veterans is going to provide Pushkarev with the leadership and mentoring to get him to stop all his fancy and foolish dipsy-doodling and begin to focus on the strategies that matter? What kind of mentor is Ivanans or Buckley going to be for Tukonen? Mormina? Or any of the guys in camp right now? Who's going to take charge in the locker room?

I guess if you shallowly read what the Manchester fans said they wanted, this is the answer. However, no one said they wanted fighting exclusively and at the expense of skating, scoring and winning. What we want is hard-hitting, action-packed, skill-laden hockey. We should be able to get that without resorting to acquiring goonish players and having to tolerate their nonsensical antics on the ice. Especially given, as Blazer pointed out, the Buckley and Ivanans signings take away valuable roster spots that could and should be put to better use. They probably could've and should've retained Rullier instead of hiring Buckley, and shopped around a little harder to come up with a has-been NHLer with some idea about what it takes to make it to the NHL and the patience and abilities to pass those ideas on to the "kids".

You will, of course, believe what you want, but as far as I can tell these signings do not improve the team or serve the purposes of the "farm" at all.

ReggieMoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2006, 08:45 AM
Dan K
HFBoards Partner

Send a message via MSN to Dan K
Ivanans is HUGE. Like unbelievably huge. It's fun watching him on the ice lol. And he IS a good skater, despite his size. It's just his hockey skills that are lacking. Shooting, passing, puck handling... You know, those sort of things. But he won't back down from anyone, and he can scrap.

The Hamilton Bulldogs announcer last year coined him the "Latvian Locomotive." Have fun with him!

Dan K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2006, 09:01 AM
Albi

Send a message via MSN to Albi
Chara vs Ivanans - video

What a SOB...I really wish Raitis has a chance for payback someday.

Albi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2006, 10:08 AM
Reaper45

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReggieMoto View Post
You know, Osprey, you usually have a fairly logical and rational opinion that you share when you post on the board, but I find it hard to believe that even you can believe what you just typed. Perhaps you're taking a shot at honing your debating skills and trying to argue an unpopular and meritless argument.

Was the on-ice product boring last season? Yes it was. Are the Kings looking to provide maximum veteran presence in Manchester this season? Yes, they are. Is hiring a non-scoring lug of a fighter, with practically no NHL - or even solid AHL - skills to mentor the kids with, the right solution for this strategy? Not likely. Coupled with the fact that this is the second quite specious - at least to me - "veteran" signing (Buckley being the first), I'd have to say the Kings are assembling more of a carnival side-show in Manchester rather than building a pool of competitive, talented prospects from which to draw from during the course of the upcoming season.

Which of these veterans is going to provide Pushkarev with the leadership and mentoring to get him to stop all his fancy and foolish dipsy-doodling and begin to focus on the strategies that matter? What kind of mentor is Ivanans or Buckley going to be for Tukonen? Mormina? Or any of the guys in camp right now? Who's going to take charge in the locker room?

I guess if you shallowly read what the Manchester fans said they wanted, this is the answer. However, no one said they wanted fighting exclusively and at the expense of skating, scoring and winning. What we want is hard-hitting, action-packed, skill-laden hockey. We should be able to get that without resorting to acquiring goonish players and having to tolerate their nonsensical antics on the ice. Especially given, as Blazer pointed out, the Buckley and Ivanans signings take away valuable roster spots that could and should be put to better use. They probably could've and should've retained Rullier instead of hiring Buckley, and shopped around a little harder to come up with a has-been NHLer with some idea about what it takes to make it to the NHL and the patience and abilities to pass those ideas on to the "kids".

You will, of course, believe what you want, but as far as I can tell these signings do not improve the team or serve the purposes of the "farm" at all.
I understand your complaints, and hell I agree with them, but KB and yourself have said it many times, that Europe offers more money to quality vets than the AHL. Perhaps Hextall did go after some quality vets only to be spurned and have them opt for Europe. I can understand not liking it, but I'd venture to say wait and see.

Old
07-14-2006, 03:02 PM
Sakaarnis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albi View Post
Chara vs Ivanans - video

What a SOB...I really wish Raitis has a chance for payback someday.
Yeah, me too! It was a cheap shot and even though i like Chara, Ivanans shoudl get his payback.

Sakaarnis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2006, 03:25 PM
v-man

Hopefully he'll get a chance to take out Avery during training camp

v-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2006, 03:27 PM
Reaper45

Quote:
Originally Posted by v-man View Post
Hopefully he'll get a chance to take out Avery during training camp

Old
07-14-2006, 03:30 PM
Osprey

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReggieMoto View Post
This is exactly why I suggested that we all wait until the season is underway to complain. Are they done building the team? No. In fact, between that post of mine and now, Trevor Lewis has supposedly been signed for Manchester. I'm sure that they have more planned. It's only July.

The Monarchs have been to the playoffs four times since the Kings were there last. If anyone has a right to be impatient, it's Kings fans, yet they're willing to trust the new management and be patient.

Last edited by Osprey: 07-14-2006 at 03:46 PM.
Old
07-14-2006, 03:35 PM
gambitlebo

Seems to me, for Chara to be such a big and tough guy, he seems to have to take a lot of cheap shots.

gambitlebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2006, 03:36 PM
Reaper45

Quote:
Originally Posted by gambitlebo View Post
Seems to me, for Chara to be such a big and tough guy, he seems to have to take a lot of cheap shots.
Yes he does.

Old
07-14-2006, 03:51 PM
kingsfan25

I guess I can see why the Manchester contingent is upset about the lack of vet presence(quality vet presence). But I don't see why you'd be upset about this particular signing. He may not fill the need of a mentor, but he does fill the need of a heavyweight for both the big club and the affiliate.

How many veteran spots are left open, btw?

kingsfan25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2006, 03:52 PM
Reaper45

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsfan25 View Post

How many veteran spots are left open, btw?
I believe 3.

Old
07-14-2006, 04:48 PM
Osprey

Quote:
I believe 3.
Thus, 3 more veteran acquisitions to come.

Old
07-14-2006, 04:55 PM
King Blazer

Quote:
I believe 3.
Ivanans hasn't played 260-AHL games in his career so he likely doesn't take-up a veteran slot.

Now wrt these signings. The Kings basically pay the players in Manchester on average about $68,000/season and less for the guys on PTOs. That adds up to about the salary they wasted on Bure last year for the entire Monarchs team.

They sign the Buckley's and the Ivanans' of the world because they're willing to take a two-way contract with an AHL side at or less than $75k.

Go after some better veterans and pay them real money to come play in Manchester on a straight AHL deal. They boast about leading the league in attendance season after season. They've raised ticket prices every season that they've been here. My cost/game/seat has gone up over 20% in 5-seasons. The Kings are doing it on the cheap and when you pay peanuts you get monkeys as is demonstrated with the Buckley and Ivanans signings.

wrt Ivanans, I'm sure he's a nice guy. He doesn't make up for a roster full of soft, undersized players that can't compete physically. Again, I urge people to go look at the Hershey Bears roster that they won the cup with. They had ONE player under 6-feet tall and a lineup stocked with physical players. The Monarchs were about the softest team in the AHL last season. They are going to return many of the same soft/small guys. Adding Ivanans DOES NOT address that. Having many of them go out and try to play a physical game just continues the revolving door of injuries we've watched since they've come to town.

Yes, Ivanans will add another dimension to the team. However, you can only go so far with jugglers, dixieland bands, and side shows. The product on the ice is what many people complained about last season and Ivanans certainly isn't the solution I was looking for. We need more Barney's, Tripp's and Parros' and Kelly's. Gritty guys that can take care of business. I know, many will remind me that they all sucked at the NHL level. Well guess what, they made the AHL level a hell of a lot more fun to watch than the crap style they rolled through here last season...

Old
07-14-2006, 04:58 PM
King Blazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osprey View Post
Thus, 3 more veteran acquisitions to come.
They're allowed 5 this season...

I'm certain they'll sell Noah as a "veteran" even though he has less than the 260-games played...

Old
07-14-2006, 06:54 PM
Johnny Utah

Quote:
They're allowed 5 this season...

I'm certain they'll sell Noah as a "veteran" even though he has less than the 260-games played...

KingBlazer, you are usually right on the money, but come on, Tripp was a punching bag, Barney was soft for his size and Parros wasn't nearly the fighter he is now and he had Ryan Flinn and Rullier.

Ivanans is needed down there with all those young guys. There weren't many other options of guys who can skate, play, and fight. Guys like Riley Cote and Josh Gratton are few and far between and they can't even handle the big boys, well maybe Grattan can. The AHL has guys like Sgroi, Bonvie, Brennan, and Ivanans for a reason.

Bottom line was Manchester fans were bored with the lack of a physical game as were the owners. The team was soft. Now they have a guy who can add that element all by himself and if need be come up to LA agaisnt tough teams and has the skating to keep up and figthing skill to go with guys like Parker, Laraque, and Fedoruk. Ivanans can skate according to Habs fans, its his hockey skills that are a problem, he won the fastest skater competition with the Bulldogs two years in row!

Last edited by Johnny Utah: 07-14-2006 at 07:08 PM.
Johnny Utah is offline   Reply With Quote