HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Kings/Monarchs Add Enforcer

Old
07-14-2006, 07:51 PM
King Blazer

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Utah View Post
KingBlazer, you are usually right on the money, but come on, Tripp was a punching bag, Barney was soft for his size and Parros wasn't nearly the fighter he is now and he had Ryan Flinn and Rullier.

Ivanans is needed down there with all those young guys. There weren't many other options of guys who can skate, play, and fight. Guys like Riley Cote and Josh Gratton are few and far between and they can't even handle the big boys, well maybe Grattan can. The AHL has guys like Sgroi, Bonvie, Brennan, and Ivanans for a reason.

Bottom line was Manchester fans were bored with the lack of a physical game as were the owners. The team was soft. Now they have a guy who can add that element all by himself and if need be come up to LA agaisnt tough teams and has the skating to keep up and figthing skill to go with guys like Parker, Laraque, and Fedoruk. Ivanans can skate according to Habs fans, its his hockey skills that are a problem, he won the fastest skater competition with the Bulldogs two years in row!
All I can say is that you completely missed the point of my post...

Last edited by King Blazer: 07-14-2006 at 07:57 PM.
King Blazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2006, 07:56 PM
Johnny Utah

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Blazer View Post
All I can say is that you completely missed the point of my post...
I know you want them to add some vets, I saw, but I was just defending people ripping on Manchester finally adding some toughness and abig dude who can skate. I'm sure they will add some veteran forwards who make some good cash so you guys don't feel ripped off.

Johnny Utah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2006, 08:19 PM
x-bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadInjury View Post
Does he have a nickname?

Perhaps "Big Tree"?
Actually I think is real nickname is the Latvian Train. That's what he used to be called during GDT for the Hamilton Bulldogs

x-bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2006, 08:35 PM
McSorley 33

So whats going on with Flinn, then. Isn't he signed or no. I really don't care who plays that role anymore after watching Ryan get thrown on his head at that chi-la game that I attended. Feel bad for him, but it's time to move on with someone else as the Kings enforcer.

Parros is doing fine.

McSorley 33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2006, 08:45 PM
Reaper45

Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
Quote:
Originally Posted by x-bob View Post
Actually I think is real nickname is the Latvian Train. That's what he used to be called during GDT for the Hamilton Bulldogs
Actually to be technical, it's the Latvian Locomotive.

Reaper45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2006, 09:58 PM
GoneFullHextall
RIP Andy B.

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper45 View Post
Actually to be technical, it's the Latvian Locomotive.
rumbling down the tracks at superslow speed.
(wait is that a oximoron?) lol

I really didnt know he was THAT fast of a skater. fastest skater 2 years in a row? sorry my bad.
the guy still has hands of granite.

Last edited by GoneFullHextall: 07-15-2006 at 11:06 AM.
GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2006, 10:34 PM
Reaper45

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarkeMustGoDotCom View Post
rumbling down the tracks at superslow speed.
(wait is that a oximoron?) lol
He's actually fast, hence the nickname.

Old
07-15-2006, 01:46 AM
I Am Ziggy Palffy

i give props to Chara for his willingness to take on heavies (though he is the biggest guy in the league), but he doesnt seem to have much respect for his opponents....his scrap with Cairns was pretty weak too...though he won the fight, he was pounding on a guy who was being held down by 2-3 referrees....

I Am Ziggy Palffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2006, 08:04 AM
BINGO

come on

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Utah View Post
Bottom line was Manchester fans were bored with the lack of a physical game as were the owners. The team was soft. Now they have a guy who can add that element all by himself and if need be come up to LA agaisnt tough teams and has the skating to keep up and figthing skill to go with guys like Parker, Laraque, and Fedoruk. Ivanans can skate according to Habs fans, its his hockey skills that are a problem, he won the fastest skater competition with the Bulldogs two years in row!
I highly doubt the owners were bored, rather I think they were really upset by the drop in season ticket sales.IMO

BINGO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2006, 08:11 AM
King Blazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osprey View Post
Thus, 3 more veteran acquisitions to come.
Where are they going to put the "veterans"?

Probables for Manchester:

Forwards
Kopitar - C
Tukonen - RW
Pushkarev - LW
Kanko - LW
Clarke - LW
Hogeboom - F
Lukacevic - LW
Roussin - LW
Stephenson - C
Ryan - C
Gauthier -C
Jackman - RW
Ivanans - Does it really matter...

Defence
Petiot
Harrold
Mormina
Buckley

Goaltender
Brust

pick one
Taylor
Fukufuji
Munce

This is what I'm "concerned" about. They're adding a few rookies and although a few of these guys will likely visit Reading, without quality veterans, the Monarchs will tres suck when the Kings grab Kopitar, Kanko and a couple of the others. Good thing they signed Ivanans...

I've been around this ownership long enough to come to the conclusion that you can't rely on anything they say. They tell you what they think you want to hear, then make excuses to cover their butts. They MARKET...

Look at how the L.A. stuff is going. It's got ownership writen all over it...

Last edited by King Blazer: 07-15-2006 at 08:57 AM.
Old
07-15-2006, 09:14 AM
TubbyTerrion*

Send a message via AIM to TubbyTerrion*
at this point Clarke is pretty close to being a "veteran" as he clearly doesn't have much of a ceiling beyond the AHL.

TubbyTerrion* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2006, 09:22 AM
King Blazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TubbyTerrion View Post
at this point Clarke is pretty close to being a "veteran" as he clearly doesn't have much of a ceiling beyond the AHL.
Exactly! They'll bring Noah back to Manchester and talk about how although he doesn't fit the AHL criteria for a veteran he's certainly a veteran...

Same with Giuliano...

Same with Ryan....

Same as it ever was...

Old
07-15-2006, 10:14 AM
kingsfan25

Quote:
Exactly! They'll bring Noah back to Manchester and talk about how although he doesn't fit the AHL criteria for a veteran he's certainly a veteran...

Same with Giuliano...

Same with Ryan....

Same as it ever was...

Maybe they should play that song when the Monarchs enter the playing surface.

Just out of curiosity, what did you guys think of Brad Smyth when he was in Manchester? (I think he was cut loose)

He was one of those career AHL points-rakers, was he not?

kingsfan25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2006, 11:58 AM
King Blazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsfan25 View Post
Just out of curiosity, what did you guys think of Brad Smyth when he was in Manchester? (I think he was cut loose)

He was one of those career AHL points-rakers, was he not?
Smyth played well for the Monarchs when he was here. He's the type I was hoping to see AEG/Kings bring into Manchester this season. He skated with Cammalleri during the lockout season and provided some protection for him and added quite a bit of scoring...

He was shocked at the deadline deal. He basically signed on with one of the AEG teams in Germany and was promptly traded/loaned away from Manchester to Hartford...

Old
07-15-2006, 12:28 PM
piston

Send a message via AIM to piston
Quote:
Where are they going to put the "veterans"?

Probables for Manchester:

Forwards
Kopitar - C
Tukonen - RW
Pushkarev - LW
Kanko - LW
Clarke - LW
Hogeboom - F
Lukacevic - LW
Roussin - LW
Stephenson - C
Ryan - C
Gauthier -C
Jackman - RW
Ivanans - Does it really matter...

Defence
Petiot
Harrold
Mormina
Buckley

Goaltender
Brust

pick one
Taylor
Fukufuji
Munce

This is what I'm "concerned" about. They're adding a few rookies and although a few of these guys will likely visit Reading, without quality veterans, the Monarchs will tres suck when the Kings grab Kopitar, Kanko and a couple of the others. Good thing they signed Ivanans...

I've been around this ownership long enough to come to the conclusion that you can't rely on anything they say. They tell you what they think you want to hear, then make excuses to cover their butts. They MARKET...

Look at how the L.A. stuff is going. It's got ownership writen all over it...

You and Reggie make some excellent points. I would assume that Kanko and Petiot make the Kings out of camp, so that opens up two roster spots. I hope you are wrong that the last two signings were about saving money. I just don't believe that given that Lombardi was willing to spend up to the cap by going hard after Shanahan. If he can spend $44 mm on the big club, I can't believe he is not able to spend an additional $500 K on Manchester. It does not make any sense. I believe DL took the GM job with the understanding that he could spend what it would take to build a winner. AEG learned with the success of the Galaxy that winning = profits. The main corporate objectivwe now is selling the mall outside Staples to premium tenants at top dollar. That means generating big crowds. I can understand your frustration, but I think the jury is still out.

piston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2006, 12:43 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

I think some of you are forgetting that the AHL is a development league. They're not going to have a bunch of veterans who are career AHL players take up playing time from the kids. Of course they'll look to add a few vets (like Brad Smyth), but there is no reason for them to fill their top six forward positions or top four defensemen with 4-5 veterans.

Send a Derek Armstrong and/or Mike Weaver down there and they'll address their need for veterans and leadership. And I highly doubt Kanko makes the Kings out of camp. There are better players than him already on the checking lines.

Ziggy Stardust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2006, 01:12 PM
kingsfan25

Quote:
Smyth played well for the Monarchs when he was here. He's the type I was hoping to see AEG/Kings bring into Manchester this season. He skated with Cammalleri during the lockout season and provided some protection for him and added quite a bit of scoring...

He was shocked at the deadline deal. He basically signed on with one of the AEG teams in Germany and was promptly traded/loaned away from Manchester to Hartford...
So what's the deal with that? After the loan did he become a FA?

Old
07-15-2006, 01:16 PM
King Blazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
I think some of you are forgetting that the AHL is a development league. They're not going to have a bunch of veterans who are career AHL players take up playing time from the kids. Of course they'll look to add a few vets (like Brad Smyth), but there is no reason for them to fill their top six forward positions or top four defensemen with 4-5 veterans.

Send a Derek Armstrong and/or Mike Weaver down there and they'll address their need for veterans and leadership. And I highly doubt Kanko makes the Kings out of camp. There are better players than him already on the checking lines.
Then Hextall shouldn't have come out in the paper and slammed the previous management for not dressing the full compliment of veterans in the past, assure Monarchs fans that they would sign and play the maximum number of veterans this season AND that they were focused on WINNING the Calder Cup! [edit] I'm going to assume you weren't aware of Hextall's comments and the promises he made back east...

That's my beef right there ziggy! They tell the fans what they think they want to hear and don't follow through. Then the Monarchs Director of Marketing comes onto the ahl boards and makes a ton of lame excuses for why ticket prices went up more this season then the have in every previous season and not once does he even indicate that the increase will have ANY effect on the quality of players that are signed. But reminds us of how fortunate we are to be affiliated with the Kings because they bring STABILITY to Manchester...

For all his faults, at least Gilmore had enough class to tell the fans that development was there #1 priority and that they wouldn't sacrifice development for the sake of winning. There are many reason not to like Gilmore, this is one time he never tried to BS the fans...

Again, last season's payroll for the ENTIRE Monarchs team was probably somewhere around $0.5M more than what they spent on Bure!

They Market Ziggy, that's what they do. Then they put a mediocre team on the ice and start with the well we talked to this guy and we like this team going forward, and so forth...

Actions words

Lastly Ziggy, folks constatntly remind us of where "we" sit on the food chain so it's hard to forget that the AHL is a development league. I'm sure that you didn't intend to insult me and that's why I didn't take it that way. However, it's somewhat demeaning and really not necessary, thanks...

Last edited by King Blazer: 07-15-2006 at 02:39 PM.
Old
07-15-2006, 01:18 PM
King Blazer

Quote:
So what's the deal with that? After the loan did he become a FA?
I don't know what the deal with that was. He became a UFA after the season...

Old
07-15-2006, 01:29 PM
Venom_17

Chara is an idiot. I hope someone just wipes the floor with him one of these days.

Cherry (sometimes is an idiot, too) has called that for a long while. Wow, big tough freak, taking cheap shots when someone is down on the ice. Good riddance.

Venom_17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2006, 01:48 PM
kingsfan25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venom_17 View Post
Cherry (sometimes is an idiot, too) has called that for a long while. Wow, big tough freak, taking cheap shots when someone is down on the ice. Good riddance.
Indeed. I normally don't agree with anything Cherry says, but I really enjoyed his tirade on Chara's bout with Lecavalier. He went over how Chara dropped his gloves and grabbed vinny's jersey when it was clear he didn't want to fight and then just stared at him, trying to shame him into fighting.

Then, after pummelling for a while, he holds up his fist in front of him for a few seconds before skating away.

It was clear he wanted to demean VL. Classless IMO.

And on the Sens board they were talking about how nice it was of Chara to show restraint.

Old
07-15-2006, 02:22 PM
Venom_17

Quote:
Indeed. I normally don't agree with anything Cherry says, but I really enjoyed his tirade on Chara's bout with Lecavalier. He went over how Chara dropped his gloves and grabbed vinny's jersey when it was clear he didn't want to fight and then just stared at him, trying to shame him into fighting.

Then, after pummelling for a while, he holds up his fist in front of him for a few seconds before skating away.

It was clear he wanted to demean VL. Classless IMO.

And on the Sens board they were talking about how nice it was of Chara to show restraint.
I remember that one as well. That was a disgrace by Chara. Kudos to Vinny for stepping up though.

Venom_17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2006, 02:34 PM
Reaper45

Same **** happened when he mauled Gleason. Chicken ****.

Old
07-15-2006, 04:22 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Quote:
Then Hextall shouldn't have come out in the paper and slammed the previous management for not dressing the full compliment of veterans in the past, assure Monarchs fans that they would sign and play the maximum number of veterans this season AND that they were focused on WINNING the Calder Cup! [edit] I'm going to assume you weren't aware of Hextall's comments and the promises he made back east...

That's my beef right there ziggy! They tell the fans what they think they want to hear and don't follow through. Then the Monarchs Director of Marketing comes onto the ahl boards and makes a ton of lame excuses for why ticket prices went up more this season then the have in every previous season and not once does he even indicate that the increase will have ANY effect on the quality of players that are signed. But reminds us of how fortunate we are to be affiliated with the Kings because they bring STABILITY to Manchester...

For all his faults, at least Gilmore had enough class to tell the fans that development was there #1 priority and that they wouldn't sacrifice development for the sake of winning. There are many reason not to like Gilmore, this is one time he never tried to BS the fans...

Again, last season's payroll for the ENTIRE Monarchs team was probably somewhere around $0.5M more than what they spent on Bure!

They Market Ziggy, that's what they do. Then they put a mediocre team on the ice and start with the well we talked to this guy and we like this team going forward, and so forth...

Actions words

Lastly Ziggy, folks constatntly remind us of where "we" sit on the food chain so it's hard to forget that the AHL is a development league. I'm sure that you didn't intend to insult me and that's why I didn't take it that way. However, it's somewhat demeaning and really not necessary, thanks...
Didn't mean it as a slight to you, it's just that it is what it is, and that all teams want their prospects to develop in the AHL rather than giving valuable ice time to players who are nothing more than minor league fodder.

And was Hextall quoted as saying that he wants to reach the max limit of veterans to fill holes in Manchester?

There is no doubt in my mind some of these guys will be loaned to Reading (Roussin perhaps, Stephenson, Werner, Fukufuji/Munce), they just don't have a ton of room to acquire 4-5 career AHLers. I would guess that maybe one more veteran will come from within the Kings roster, ideally, Armstrong and/or Weaver (if Dallman or Petiot make the Kings).

Maybe some of these AHL veterans don't want to sign with the Kings since they know they won't have a shot at earning a spot on the pro roster, and they would only be earning $75K in the minors. Guys like Ivanans and Buckley know their roles, they are pluggers, utility players and they don't cost much and they do fill a need as the Monarchs were lacking in toughness. Now with Kanko, Jackman, Ivanans and Buckley, they are set in that department.

I noticed you left off Giuliano from your proposed roster. He should be back on the Monarchs, and that right there could be considered as another AHL veteran and team leader. I could see them maybe adding two more players outside of the organization, a defenseman and a forward.

Ziggy Stardust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2006, 04:48 PM
Osprey

Quote:
That's my beef right there ziggy! They tell the fans what they think they want to hear and don't follow through.
It's only the middle of July. I'm shocked that you've already turned on the new management, particularly Hextall. How about being patient and waiting to see if he follows through instead of just assuming that he won't?

Osprey is offline   Reply With Quote