HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

What do you think of this proposal: Handzus for Calder

Old
07-15-2006, 04:15 PM
mikedifr

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
I think you're mistaking most of us in terms of Handzus being physical. I've said that one doesn't have to be a banger to be a physical player. With that being said, Handzus is also 6'5 and almost 230 pounds. Sometimes, you have to impose yourself against other teams and Handzus just doesn't do that. He's a leaner and someone who gets in the way of other teams. It's not a bad quality to have, but nobody fears going up against Handzus because he doesn't throw that big check. If he threw one of those big checks every 5 to 10 games, that is more than enough incentive for other teams to stay out of his way.

As for being a shutdown guy, Handzus is not a shutdown guy simply because he isn't physical enough to work that role. Richards, at 5'10 is more physical than Handzus. You're right though in that Richards is a more offensively gifted player. I've always said that Carter will be the top center in Philadelphia with Richards being number 2. As a number 2 guy, I can also see Richards putting up 80 to 90 points a season when he hits his prime. Handzus is in his prime right now and he hasn't even hit 60 once in his career.

That's why I've always been an advocate of moving Handzus. He isn't physical enough to be a shut down guy and he doesn't have a decent enough offensive game to be an effective 2nd line center.
I never quoted anyone in what they were saying about Handzus. I was simply pointing out how he uses his size to his advantage. Last time I checked, imposing fear or being extremely physical does not mean you are a shut down center As with any sport, brains and good fundamentals can overcome physcial tools.
Handzus is a smart player that does not have the speed to get all the way back down the ice if he takes himself out of position by throwing a huge check. There are other players on the team that can take care of that.

Peca used to be real physical, but injuries have taken a toll on him. I doubt anyone fears him anymore. Does that mean he cant be a shut down center? Mike Ricci is a gritty tough player, but he never threw huge body checks. You need speed to be able to do that. Tim Taylor has been a good shut down guy for TB, he doesnt throw thunderous checks. No one fears him. Kevyn Adams on Carolina, Curtis Brown, Greg Johnson. The only one of these players that is that much better of a skater then Handzus is Johnson. Obviously these guys arent elite shut down guys, but these days, most players have to play two ways like Handzus does and arent purely shut down centers.

I think (hope) you get my point.

Handzus would have hit 65-70 last year if he was not hurt and playing out of position. He plays with junk for wings the majority of his time, other then an extended stint with LeClair/Recchi two years ago, at the end of their career. However, as I said, Richards does have more skill then him but is also a playmaker and needs to be with skilled wingers to be effective.

We can agree to disagree on Handzus. I used to say he shouldnt be moved, and I still lean towards that slightly, however, if we can get a good legit 2nd line winger or top 4 dman, I am open to it.

I am not open to trading him for a draft pick or prospect as many have stated on here. He is too valuable for that.

Last edited by mikedifr: 07-15-2006 at 04:26 PM.
mikedifr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2006, 04:26 PM
xeric716x
Born To Expire

hawks would never do it,

xeric716x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2006, 05:50 PM
Rex88

Quote:
Originally Posted by xfloorpunch716x View Post
hawks would never do it,
Thanks for that fascinating insight.

Sarcasm activated

Rex88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2007, 06:05 PM
flyersfan64*

haha. i thought this would be fun to bring back. how much people minds change.

flyersfan64* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2007, 06:55 PM
Amateur Hour

Nuclear > Eklund

Amateur Hour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2007, 09:23 PM
JXC
#LaviPondHockeyFail

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyersfan64 View Post
haha. i thought this would be fun to bring back. how much people minds change.
This is fascinating.

JXC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2007, 01:27 AM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

vCash: 50
holy ****. lol. Thats friggin amazing that this was proposed weeks before it actually happened. amazing. simply amazing.

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2007, 02:38 AM
Valhoun*

Send a message via AIM to Valhoun*
If I was magically given the option to either A) have the course of time changed so that this trade never happened and B) have world hunger eliminated... I'd have to think about it.

Valhoun* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2007, 07:40 AM
phlocky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valhoun View Post
If I was magically given the option to either A) have the course of time changed so that this trade never happened and B) have world hunger eliminated... I'd have to think about it.

I'm not certain I'd undo that trade if I could as in the end it got us Kukkonen and Klotz.

phlocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2007, 09:35 AM
Flyers Fan Forever

Quote:
Originally Posted by phlocky View Post
I'm not certain I'd undo that trade if I could as in the end it got us Kukkonen and Klotz.
Wait, we like Roger Klotz now?

I remember everyone hating him on draft day.

Flyers Fan Forever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2007, 09:46 AM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 1945
Part of the reason Calder p****d me off during his stay with Philadelphia is that I liked his game when he was with Chicago. What a disappointment! I never wanted to trade Zeus but a Calder-Zeus swap is something I would have approved only if there was a guarantee of a Primeau comeback since he was an ideal team leader. Without both Zeus and Primeau the team lacked two strong voices of leadership.

MiamiScreamingEagles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2007, 10:04 AM
Kaktus*

That was a bad trade. I was against it from day one.

Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2007, 10:30 AM
Amateur Hour

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyers Fan Forever View Post

Still do.

And until he becomes a legit heavyweight in this league and can take on the big boys, I'll continue to hate him. Wasting a 3rd round pick on this oaf was so idiotic, it frustrates me to end whenever I think about it. It's something I won't get over for a long time, especially if one of the players taken after Klotz whom I wanted the Flyers to pick becomes a productive NHLer.

/rant

Amateur Hour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2007, 11:19 AM
Norm MacDonald

The Flyers still ended up winning that trade. Handzus was injured for the whole season and Calder got us Kukkonen. Or maybe you could say... the Flyers didn't lose the trade as badly.

Norm MacDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2007, 11:29 AM
MojoJojo

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepOrange View Post
The Flyers still ended up winning that trade. Handzus was injured for the whole season and Calder got us Kukkonen. Or maybe you could say... the Flyers didn't lose the trade as badly.
In hindsight, you dont know if Handzus would or would not have been injured if he stayed here. A healthy Handzus would have been more valuable at the deadline than Calder. The only way you could argue that Calder brought us more than Handzus would have, is if you want to say that Calder helped get us JVR

MojoJojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2007, 11:52 AM
Norm MacDonald

Quote:
Originally Posted by MojoJojo View Post
In hindsight, you dont know if Handzus would or would not have been injured if he stayed here. A healthy Handzus would have been more valuable at the deadline than Calder. The only way you could argue that Calder brought us more than Handzus would have, is if you want to say that Calder helped get us JVR
You can't make assumptions like that... all we know is what Chicago got out of the trade and what Philly got. The Flyers got an underacheiver who was traded later in the season and Chicago got a center who played 8 games and walked away in July.

Norm MacDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2007, 12:08 PM
Kaktus*

Quote:
Originally Posted by MojoJojo View Post
what he said..

Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2007, 12:37 PM
phlocky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyers Fan Forever View Post

I don't dislike Klotz, I just think we should have taken another good dman who was still available in this round and taken Klotz in the 5th. He most likely would have still been available in the 5th.

phlocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2007, 04:54 PM
Pantokrator
Who's the clown?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9teen7ty5 View Post
Still do.

And until he becomes a legit heavyweight in this league and can take on the big boys, I'll continue to hate him. Wasting a 3rd round pick on this oaf was so idiotic, it frustrates me to end whenever I think about it. It's something I won't get over for a long time, especially if one of the players taken after Klotz whom I wanted the Flyers to pick becomes a productive NHLer.

/rant
Thank you for summing up my thoughts exactly. I think that was a huge mistake drafting a guy that they probably could have signed as a free agent in a year or 2.

Pantokrator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2007, 11:44 PM
whatthef
Failure is an Option

vCash: 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by phlocky View Post
I don't dislike Klotz, I just think we should have taken another good dman who was still available in this round and taken Klotz in the 5th. He most likely would have still been available in the 5th.
He most likely wouldn't have even been drafted if we didn't take him.

whatthef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2007, 11:54 PM
Stars-Preds

The semi-funny thing is now Calder and Handzus are teammates in LA.

Stars-Preds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2007, 08:18 AM
ToTheNet

Send a message via AIM to ToTheNet
I hope they play together and tear it up hahaha. I think that would be great.

ToTheNet is offline   Reply With Quote