HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Zidlicky Article

Old
07-13-2006, 09:46 PM
handtrick

vCash: 500
Zidlicky Article

For those of you that didn't see the July issue of the Sabretooth Times...there was a good article by Doug Brumley on "Z" called "The Z Factor" with some good quotes by his teamates and coaches....I didn't see it online anywhere, so I thought I would share a few of them.

______

"If you were around the team you probably wouldn't even know he was around," Kariya says. "He doesn't say too much, but he has a definite presence to him and you know that when he's suiting up for you, youv've got a lot better chance of winning than when he is not."

_____

"He has some of the greatest talent I've ever seen in any player, let alone a defenseman," says Kariya. "He is a terrific passer. He sees the game well. He has a great shot. He just does everything extremely well. He has that knack, that offensive gift that very few players have."

_____

Re: his Z's $14.3 mill, 4 yr contract Vokoun says: "I was very happy for him. He certainly deserves it. It's a very big contract for Nashville. I think they did the right thing to keep him, because in my opinion he is an impact player."

______

"I think what makes Marek special is he doesn't have a panic point," Trotz says. "His ability to handle the puck in tight places is amazing. He's got great vision, and more than anything he has got that great poise that separates a lot of the elite players from the ordinary players. He's got that special quality. Take that and the way he can shoot the puck, it akes him a real special offensive weapon."

_____

Re: Z's shot, Vokoun says: "Personally, I don't think his shot is harder than other people's, but he just knows where he is shooting and he can actually hit his target. And it takes him a real short time to fire the puck. That's so much better for you as a player than standing there and waving your stick for two seconds and then taking the shot, because everybody's ready by that point."

_____

Re: Z's passing ability Horachek says: "He just sees the ice quicker and moves the puck quicker. He sees things that most people don't see, or it takes them longer. He sees it instantly. He can make those, across the ice, 60 foot passes. He can make them through legs, saucer passes over sticks. He can pretty much pass as well as anyone I've ever seen in the NHL."

"A lot of time he'll sell a shot and then he'll pass it across the crease," Trotz says. " A lot of times his teamates arent ready for it. He threw about an 85 foot saucer pass that landed flat on the ice for Paul Kariya for an overtime winner. I can't think of too many guys in the world that can do that. He's one of the guys that can."

______

Vokoun says he is still adjusting to life in North America. "He's a funny guy," Vokoun says. "He's just one of those guys who is not as outgoing at first as some other people, but once you get to know him, he's not as quiet as you would think. It takes a while to adjust to a different country, and it's not just that he seems shy - he IS shy."

"It's alot different when he's back home than here in North America," Vokoun says. "I think that's the biggest thing people don't know about him, how he would react especially with the media and all that."

______

As far a his off ice interests, his is a husband and a father who likes cars, working out and a variety of other sports. "I think he is the #1 ping pong player on our team," Kariya says.

______

Re: Z and the shootout, Trotz says: "In a shootout he is one of the most creative guys with the puck. Also he is one of the most accurate shooters. He can throw the puck in his feet and bump it up to his stick in one motion without any break in momentum or anything. He is a real talent when handling the puck and doing things with it."

_____

When looking back, this long-term deal will rank up there with Sully's as far as great foresight by Poile, IMO.

handtrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2006, 12:04 AM
hockey_socks

Thanks for posting that, handtrick.

I agree that re-signing of Zids may turn out to be one of Polie's more brilliant deals.

hockey_socks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2006, 12:17 AM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Zidlicky has a surprising amount of detractors, especially given how popular Timonen is. Last year, Timonen wasn't in the same league as Zidlicky in terms of offensive ability, and their DEFENSIVE ability was a lot closer than we were accustomed to, as well. I'm a big "Magic" fan, myself.

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2006, 12:20 AM
dulzhok

This board's attitude has changed quite a bit from the "Zidlicky is the odd man out anyway" talk that was going on when he was injured in the playoffs. "Weber has made him expendable"

dulzhok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2006, 12:58 AM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by dulzhok View Post
This board's attitude has changed quite a bit from the "Zidlicky is the odd man out anyway" talk that was going on when he was injured in the playoffs. "Weber has made him expendable"
i don't think that was the concensus. at one point, before timonen's deterioration, i thought maybe he was expendable, but he's been one of my favorite players for some time.

Old
07-14-2006, 03:44 AM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
In the playoffs I think that was true.

triggrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2006, 09:49 AM
Basher
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to Basher Send a message via MSN to Basher Send a message via Skype™ to Basher
i heard that often

Basher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2006, 11:12 AM
SmokeyClause

Send a message via AIM to SmokeyClause
Quote:
At the time, Weber made him expendable. I still believe that, to some extent. Expendable doesn't mean bad or that we couldn't still use him. It was simply referring to the fact that Zidlicky's value to the team was not as a great once we found another righthanded shot from the point. His undersized, offensive-oriented game is rather redundant in our defense. While he possesses offensive talent that no other current Predator can match, he was still a 3rd pairing defenseman last year.

While this "expendable" talk was going on, he was still believed to be an RFA at the end of the past season (due to an erroneous NHL.com article). And we still didn't have a center. He was thought to be a prime piece in a package that could land us a center. Because Weber would be able to fill in on the first pairing power play, which he did admirably btw*, the loss of Zidlicky wouldn't sting as much as it seemed earlier in the year.

* Weber was substantially more efficient than Zidlicky on the powerplay. His points per minute were almost 30% higher than Zids, and Weber didn't always have the luxury of playing on the first pairing. Expanding his numbers out, a full season of Zidlicky's power play time at the rate Weber showed during his 28 game span, would have been good for 45 power play points (15 goals and 30 assists). I've made this disclaimer before and I'll do it again, this doesn't necessarily mean that he'll would have done it, but that's a nice stat to see from a 20 year old kid in his fist 30 NHL games. He was even fairly successful in his expanded power play role during the playoffs despite the Predator power play being only average league-wide.

This is why Zidlicky was viewed as expendable. Because, all of the sudden, we had a kid who could man the point on the power play opposite Timonen and be a physical, top pairing presence. Meanwhile, we still had an incredibly talented player in Zidlicky that several teams in the NHL would absolutely die to have. While Weber doesn't necessarily equal Zidlicky next year in terms of his value to the team, Weber + Zidlicky's return in a trade > Zidlicky. And that's when someone becomes expendable.

SmokeyClause is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2006, 11:19 AM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

i for one don't believe that, in the long run, weber makes zidlicky expendable at all. They're different players, even with Weber playing on the PP...and as much as we don't have anyone that could replace Weber if he got hurt\traded, we don't really have anyone that could replace Zids, either.

Old
07-14-2006, 11:31 AM
SmokeyClause

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomorekids View Post
i for one don't believe that, in the long run, weber makes zidlicky expendable at all. They're different players, even with Weber playing on the PP...and as much as we don't have anyone that could replace Weber if he got hurt\traded, we don't really have anyone that could replace Zids, either.
If Weber develops and plays as well on the power play as he did this past season, does he not deserve a spot on the first pairing in the future? Who would he replace? Timonen? The Preds love having a righty on the right point and a lefty on the left point, but it could happen. Weber played in Zidlicky's shoes often during the latter part of the season. Do we hold him back even if he proves to be better at the point job?

Put it this way, Chris Pronger (for this exercise, we'll make him a righty) and Marek Zidlicky play two totally different styles. But if you were to add a right-handed Pronger onto this year's Nashville team, where does that put Zidlicky? Do you bump him to the second PP unit and feed him 2 minute a game and hope he stays happy? It's not perfectly congruent with Nashville's current situation, but just because two players play different styles doesn't mean that one can't make the other expendable.

Old
07-14-2006, 11:40 AM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

I'm just of the opinion that Zidlicky, NOT Timonen has made the PP what it is...well, of course, combined with Sullivan. I just don't see Weber supplanting Zids...just because he has a great shot. Markov had a nice low shot, too...but no one screamed for him to replace Z on the PP. There just isn't any doubt that our PP is at its best when Zidlicky is out on it, and while the excitement of seeing Weber\his scoring a couple of goals while out there may have clouded our vision temporarily, I think the long term effects would become far more evident. I think that Weber\Zidlicky would be a good PAIRING on the PP...because I think Z would benefit from having a partner that could hit the net...which isn't Timonen...but I don't see Weber outright replacing him.

Old
07-14-2006, 11:53 AM
David Singleton
HFB Partner

Quote:
I'm just of the opinion that Zidlicky, NOT Timonen has made the PP what it is...well, of course, combined with Sullivan. I just don't see Weber supplanting Zids...just because he has a great shot. Markov had a nice low shot, too...but no one screamed for him to replace Z on the PP. There just isn't any doubt that our PP is at its best when Zidlicky is out on it, and while the excitement of seeing Weber\his scoring a couple of goals while out there may have clouded our vision temporarily, I think the long term effects would become far more evident. I think that Weber\Zidlicky would be a good PAIRING on the PP...because I think Z would benefit from having a partner that could hit the net...which isn't Timonen...but I don't see Weber outright replacing him.
I agree that Zidlicky/Weber on the PP unit would be a great pairing along with Timonen/Hamhuis on the second.

It would also reduce Timonen's ice time to hopefully help increase his stamina towards the end of the season.

We have a lot of options on the PP unit. The really interesting pairings will be for the PK unit- especially given how green this group is.

That would probably be Timonen/Hamhuis for the first unit and then either Suter or Weber paired with Klein for the second unit.

David

David Singleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2006, 12:53 PM
SmokeyClause

Quote:
I just don't see Weber supplanting Zids...just because he has a great shot. Markov had a nice low shot, too...but no one screamed for him to replace Z on the PP. There just isn't any doubt that our PP is at its best when Zidlicky is out on it, and while the excitement of seeing Weber\his scoring a couple of goals while out there may have clouded our vision temporarily, I think the long term effects would become far more evident. ..but I don't see Weber outright replacing him.[/
Markov didn't produce on the power play; Weber did. And from the stats I showed, Weber produced quite well, all things considered. I think you are mistaking expandable with equal. The assumption wasn't that Weber would step in and be as good as Zids. Just that the loss of Zids on the powerplay wouldn't hurt as much.

Without Zids, our power play dropped from 18.4 to 17.3. However, in the final 8 games of the season with Weber at the point of the main power play, the results were 20.4% [it was actually 8 of the final 9 as Weber missed a game in between]. Could this be directly attributed to Weber? I can't say for sure, but when our power play struggled without Zids, Weber was getting less than 1.5 minutes of power play time.

When our powerplay started pumping along at 20.4%, Weber was getting over 4.5 minutes per game. It wasn't Timonen. Only Paul Kariya's numbers jumped up during that span, so maybe he was carrying the power play. Either way, it appears that Weber more than held his own in the 8 games he was in Zidlicky's stead. I don't think it's unreasonable to say that he might be capable, over the long-term, of making Zidlicky expendable.

Quote:
I'm just of the opinion that Zidlicky, NOT Timonen has made the PP what it is...well, of course, combined with Sullivan. I think that Weber\Zidlicky would be a good PAIRING on the PP...because I think Z would benefit from having a partner that could hit the net...which isn't Timonen.
Now, this I would agree with. As things have progressed, it would appear that this is a better fit because of their respective contract situations. Zids shot from the point was sporadic at best during the regular season and a low, hard shot from the point is desperately needed. For a time there, we had a minimal threat from the point. Timonen's shot was dreadful and Zidlicky was as likely to ping the glass as he was to put it on net. Weber provides an element that neither do. A heavy, hard shot that can be kept under 3 feet.

If Timonen leaves the club, I would expect several players would try to vie for that spot. Hamhuis is a natural fit, but Weber has shown his worth on the powerplay. We can only hope, like the rest of his play, that it wasn’t a fluke.

Old
07-14-2006, 12:55 PM
SmokeyClause

Quote:
Originally Posted by drsingle View Post
I agree that Zidlicky/Weber on the PP unit would be a great pairing along with Timonen/Hamhuis on the second.

It would also reduce Timonen's ice time to hopefully help increase his stamina towards the end of the season.

We have a lot of options on the PP unit. The really interesting pairings will be for the PK unit- especially given how green this group is.

That would probably be Timonen/Hamhuis for the first unit and then either Suter or Weber paired with Klein for the second unit.

David
We need to drastically reduce Timonen's PK time if we want him to hold up over the course of the season. He doesn't need to be logging 4 minutes a game. I think Weber/Hamhuis (which should be our second team PP pairing) should be our first team PK pair. And then Timonen and possibly Suter after that. That would save Kimmo a few minutes a game. That should add up.

Old
07-14-2006, 03:37 PM
David Singleton
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeyClause View Post
We need to drastically reduce Timonen's PK time if we want him to hold up over the course of the season. He doesn't need to be logging 4 minutes a game. I think Weber/Hamhuis (which should be our second team PP pairing) should be our first team PK pair. And then Timonen and possibly Suter after that. That would save Kimmo a few minutes a game. That should add up.
In terms of PP situations, Timonen and Zidlicky have essentially the same role. They are both effective QBs- can bring the puck down low and able to zip a pass to practically any spot on the ice. While Z has the higher level of talent, Timonen is talented as well and has a wealth of experience. All that said, I agree with you and NMK that our PP works better through Z than Kimmo.

From what we've seen to this point, Weber has the best shot from the point. It's low, hard, and on net. He's also no slouch when it comes to moving the puck. The Z/Weber pairing on the first PP unit gives us our most talented QB paired with our best point shot. It also gives us the ability to put another very talented QB on the 2nd PP unit to pair with someone else (probably Hamhuis). Hopefully it would reduce the overall minutes Timonen plays as well.

On the PK side, we could limit Timonen's time here instead, but his wealth of experience (especially compared to the other members of our blueline) might be more beneficial when we are a man down as opposed to a man up (hence the suggestion to move Kimmo to the 2nd PP unit).

Smokey, you don't think that moving Kimmo to the 2nd PP unit and keeping him on the 1st PK unit cuts down on his time, or you just don't think it is the best decision with the resources available?

David

Old
07-14-2006, 03:51 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

something I'd like to see change this year, speaking of the PP\Z\Kimmo...

I think it's crucial that we don't come out this year trying that same ridiculous umbrella. It underutilizes and ignores some of our best strengths on the power play, and getting rid of it would cut down on all of the shorthanded chances we gave up(IIRC, we were in the top of the league for SHG against last season). Ideally, i'd like to see:

Sullivan- down low
Arnott - in front of the net
Kariya - right halfboard
Zidlicky - left point\high slot
Weber\Timonen - right point

Old
07-14-2006, 03:57 PM
David Singleton
HFB Partner

Quote:
something I'd like to see change this year, speaking of the PP\Z\Kimmo...

I think it's crucial that we don't come out this year trying that same ridiculous umbrella. It underutilizes and ignores some of our best strengths on the power play, and getting rid of it would cut down on all of the shorthanded chances we gave up(IIRC, we were in the top of the league for SHG against last season). Ideally, i'd like to see:

Sullivan- down low
Arnott - in front of the net
Kariya - right halfboard
Zidlicky - left point\high slot
Weber\Timonen - right point

Completely agree.

First unit:

Sullivan, Arnott, Kariya, Zidlicky, Weber as NMK layed out.

Second Unit:

Erat- down low
Hartnell/Legwand- net
Legwand/Walker- right halfboard
Timonen- left point
Hamhuis/Suter/Klein/(someone else with a low, hard shot on net and responsible)- right point

We were getting killed on SH chances last year.

David

Old
07-14-2006, 04:14 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

I think we just became far too predictable, after a while. We had such enormous success early on with that Sullivan-Kariya crosscrease pass that we attempted to do it ALL year long, and advance-scouting clued in our opponents to watch for it. When you'd watch a truly effective, well-oiled PP...Edmonton, Anaheim, Buffalo, Carolina...they were about puck movement, which wasn't something we did very well. There was far too much "Kariya holds...and holds...and holds....pass to Timonen, intercepted, and cleared." When you STOP the puck completely, it not only allows the PK to reset itself and prepare for the play\clog the passing lanes, it gives them a much needed breather. We have far too many wicked passers\PP specialists to have such a bland, ineffective power play.

Which coach is in charge of PP? Horachek?

Old
07-14-2006, 07:11 PM
SmokeyClause

Quote:
Originally Posted by drsingle View Post
Smokey, you don't think that moving Kimmo to the 2nd PP unit and keeping him on the 1st PK unit cuts down on his time, or you just don't think it is the best decision with the resources available?

David
I don't think it cuts down on his time as much. 5 minutes on the PP isn't near as taxing as 2/3 minutes shorthanded. It would be a decrease but not as substantial as moving him from 1st PK to second.

And I think having him on the 2nd PP is a bit of a waste unless we can manage to give him 3/4 minutes a night. While he may not be the best option at the moment, you just don't let a talent like that get only a handful of powerplay minutes a night. The best part of Timonen's game rests on the powerplay. To move him to a secondary role drastically eliminates his effectiveness. And unless we are banking on one of either Zids or Weber getting injured, it makes him expendable immediately, and I think we should look into a trade if that is the case (which I don't think it is).

Old
07-14-2006, 07:13 PM
SmokeyClause

Quote:
There was far too much "Kariya holds...and holds...and holds....pass to Timonen, intercepted, and cleared." When you STOP the puck completely, it not only allows the PK to reset itself and prepare for the play\clog the passing lanes, it gives them a much needed breather. We have far too many wicked passers\PP specialists to have such a bland, ineffective power play.

Which coach is in charge of PP? Horachek?
Weber is the only pointman that has an effective one-timer on the first team PP. Last year, Timonen shouldn't even have bothered. And most of Zidlicky's one-timers are 5 feet high. Our point man almost always settle the puck down, slowing flow.

Old
07-14-2006, 07:16 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeyClause View Post
I don't think it cuts down on his time as much. 5 minutes on the PP isn't near as taxing as 2/3 minutes shorthanded. It would be a decrease but not as substantial as moving him from 1st PK to second.

And I think having him on the 2nd PP is a bit of a waste unless we can manage to give him 3/4 minutes a night. While he may not be the best option at the moment, you just don't let a talent like that get only a handful of powerplay minutes a night. The best part of Timonen's game rests on the powerplay. To move him to a secondary role drastically eliminates his effectiveness. And unless we are banking on one of either Zids or Weber getting injured, it makes him expendable immediately, and I think we should look into a trade if that is the case (which I don't think it is).

But what do we do, then? If Weber is the solution we've all looked for(and I think his shot is as close to Pronger's as we have), then what's the answer? Bump Zids down to the second unit? I'm not sure that's a good idea either, because, as I mentioned, I really think he's become the deadlier of the two. Timonen on the second unit would give us something we have NEVER had: two units with a top notch QB. For a long time, if our first unit didn't score, our second was an also-ran and was merely out there killing time for the PK. I'd like to see:

Timonen= Right point
Hamhuis or Suter = Left point
Erat = down low(not that it matters, we know he's not staying in one place, anyway)
Legwand = halfboards\low slot
Hartnell = in front of the net

Old
07-14-2006, 07:23 PM
SmokeyClause

Quote:
But what do we do, then? If Weber is the solution we've all looked for(and I think his shot is as close to Pronger's as we have), then what's the answer? Bump Zids down to the second unit? I'm not sure that's a good idea either, because, as I mentioned, I really think he's become the deadlier of the two. Timonen on the second unit would give us something we have NEVER had: two units with a top notch QB. For a long time, if our first unit didn't score, our second was an also-ran and was merely out there killing time for the PK. I'd like to see:

Timonen= Right point
Hamhuis or Suter = Left point
Erat = down low(not that it matters, we know he's not staying in one place, anyway)
Legwand = halfboards\low slot
Hartnell = in front of the net
If we do move Timonen down, which if Weber continues to hold the point well during camp and preseason seems to be the case, we need to make sure that his unit gets ice time initially. Traditionally, we've piled on the first team ice time, but this years team might actually have an equally talented second unit. Maybe 5 minutes for the first team, 3 for the second? But we have to give Timonen touches from the point.

Old
07-14-2006, 08:13 PM
s7ark
McDavid!!!!!!!!!!!

Just out of morbid curiousity, what would the asking price for
Zidlicky from the Oil?

Hire McLellan Draft McDavid. Solidify the D and G
s7ark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2006, 08:15 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by s7ark View Post
Just out of morbid curiousity, what would the asking price for
Zidlicky from the Oil?
More than you'd be willing to give. I'm not sure we're great trading partners, since we both need defensemen(or rather, we have them, but they're very green). I can't see us letting an experienced guy go, especially one that just re-signed for 4 more years at a dirt cheap rate.

Old
07-14-2006, 08:17 PM
s7ark
McDavid!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote:
More than you'd be willing to give. I'm not sure we're great trading partners, since we both need defensemen(or rather, we have them, but they're very green). I can't see us letting an experienced guy go, especially one that just re-signed for 4 more years at a dirt cheap rate.
That is about what I expected. Oh well, can't blame me for asking. He is an exceptional talent.

Best of luck next season!

s7ark is offline   Reply With Quote