HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Is it safe?

Closed Thread

Old
11-10-2003, 02:29 PM
Foster

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Foster Send a message via MSN to Foster
Is it safe?

Safe to say that the injury bug is starting to effect the play of the sens?

Your thoughts......

Old
11-10-2003, 03:28 PM
Volchenkov

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foster

Your thoughts......
Naah, its just an early season slump, they had the same problem last year. Once this team gets rolling this "slump" will be long forgotten.

Old
11-10-2003, 04:47 PM
Skrymir

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volchenkov
Naah, its just an early season slump, they had the same problem last year. Once this team gets rolling this "slump" will be long forgotten.
let's just hope this "slump" doesn't become a full season nightmare.

Old
11-10-2003, 05:17 PM
Volchenkov

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skrymir
let's just hope this "slump" doesn't become a full season nightmare.
Even if it does, we'll still make the playoffs. Hopefully come playoff time this team will be ready to play. We're becoming spoiled brats. Our team falls to ONLY one game above .500 and we all start crying. Have faith in our team my fellow sens fan - all is well that endeth well.

Old
11-11-2003, 01:43 AM
Safir*

Actually, I don't think that the Sens will repeat last seasons Presidents Trophy campaign by any means.

Old
11-11-2003, 04:40 AM
Other Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foster
I think it's pretty safe to say. Four regulars out of commission, at least three more walking wounded.

Add to that the poor starts to two of Ottawa's star players and that translates to .500 hockey.

ATL and CBJ this week, that better mean two big wins for the team. It's gonna be a long November.

Other Dave

Old
11-11-2003, 04:54 AM
Dr.Sens(e)

I don't see blaming injuries. Every team has them, so it's something we simply have to overcome. Given our depth, I don't see why it should have had a major effect. Bonk, Hossa, Chara, Varada, Alfredsson, Spezza, Phillips, Redden, Smoke and Lalime have been pretty much healthy all year.

Old
11-11-2003, 05:11 AM
50 Mission Cap

This isn't meant to be a flame post.

I've been hearing for about a year now that the Sens are the deepest team in the NHL. If that's the case then injuries should not affect them as bad as other teams.

Every team suffers though injuries. The good teams rise above them and continue to play well. The other teams embrace them as an excuse, and their play falls off.

Old
11-11-2003, 05:35 AM
Puck
Ninja

Personally, I thought the Avs had the best depth in the league. The Flyers, the Blues, the Canucks, the Devils in recent history have had pretty decent depth and a crop of good young prospects. The Sens have been known to make outstanding picks or steals at the draft, but it's not like we've always had a huge farm team stacked with them. In Grand Rapids, we only supplied them with 12 prospects for many years; GR was independant and they supplied the rest of their roster themselves with players that had no affiliation to the Sens.

The Sens have a good crop of young talent, we like to brag a lot because our scouts have made good moves, but at this point, I wouldn't say we are a powerhouse at depth. I like the balance of the team at Bingo and the coaching, I think they have good chances to win, but that team is not stacked with no-miss NHL superstars.

Because of the success the Sens have had in building their club from within, we are perceived in a very favorable light at depth. But I would rate our depth as relatively good, not mind blowing excellent. I hope they stop selling off our prospects like Gleason and Klepis but I suppose it is hard not to trade futures for immediate help when everyone can sense the cup so near.

Old
11-11-2003, 05:36 AM
Johnny On the Spot

Injuries are absolutly not an excuse, the Sens are deep and the only call up that could have weakened the lineup may have been Vauclair.
Time to step up and beat all the teams that were below us in the standings last year.

Old
11-11-2003, 07:25 AM
Observer

vCash:
The Sens are very deep, but you get enough injuries at one time and it would challenge any team.

I don't think the Sens are using it as an excuse though. They've been pointing the finger at inconsistent efforts rather than any injuries.

I have to say though that I'm not overly amused with some of the injuries. They have 8 NHL calibre defencemen. Normally, that's deep. When you go through what the Sens just went through where four defencemen are injured and not playing and another one is playing with a bum knee and a sore groin... yes, that will hurt.

I don't think it's injuries that's hurting the forwards though. They're just not on the same page yet.

It will come.

Old
11-11-2003, 07:26 AM
Volchenkov

A statistical note for my fellow sens fans: The team with the best goal differential will almost always be the team with the best record. If you look at last year, a team will rarely stray more than two spots away from their Goal Differential Ranking. The sens are first in their division in goal diff and are something like 4th in the conference. If they continue at this pace the wins will come. You can't be considered in a slump when your team is on pace to outscore the opposition by at least 50 goals.

Old
11-11-2003, 07:27 AM
Volchenkov

Quote:
Originally Posted by 50 Mission Cap
This isn't meant to be a flame post.

I've been hearing for about a year now that the Sens are the deepest team in the NHL. If that's the case then injuries should not affect them as bad as other teams.

Every team suffers though injuries. The good teams rise above them and continue to play well. The other teams embrace them as an excuse, and their play falls off.
Agreed.

Old
11-11-2003, 08:31 AM
Observer

vCash:
I don't disagree, but what's the point to that quote? ... unless we're insinuating that the Sens are using the injury thing as an excuse. I don't think that's true at all.

Closed Thread